Ratings: Fear Factor Return Grosses Big Numbers, Penultimate Terra Nova Matches Low

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Fear Factor, which in its last incarnation (circa winter 2005/06) was pulled from NBC’s schedule due to sagging ratings and to make room for the Friends spin-off Joey, came back with a bang this Monday night.

The stunts-and-gross-outs spectacular averaged 8.6 million total viewers over its two-hour run, while scoring a 3.4 demo rating. That represents gains of 43 and 111 percent over The Sing-Off‘s most recent performance in the time slot, and scored NBC an easy second-place status in both primetime hours.

NBC notes that Fear Factor delivered the network’s best non-Olympics 8 o’clock demo numbers since February 2008 (Deal or No Deal) and its best 9 o’clock rating since the Sept. 2010 debut of The Event.

Elsewhere on the night:

8 pm | A fresh bit of Broke Girls that opened the hour drew 12.46 mil and a 4.1, down 11 percent in the demo (to a series low) from its last 8:30 outing. Placing third behind Fear Factor, the penultimate freshman episode of Terra Nova (7 mil/2.1) dipped a tenth in the demo to match its series low. ABC’s I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown (5.3 mil/1.3) was a distant fourth.

9 pm | A truly dopey installment of Two and a Half Men (14.7 mil/4.6) nonetheless led the night in audience and in the demo, dipping 10 percent in the latter; Mike & Molly (12.83 mil/3.9) too was down 7 percent in the demo. ABC’s You Deserve It slipped another 10 percent in the demo to place a distant fourth, trailing even a House repeat.

10 pm | A fresh Five-0 dominated with 11 million total viewers and a 2.8 rating, down just a bit week-to-week. NBC’s Rock Center (4.04 mil/1.1) just barely edged out a Castle repeat for second-place honors.

What were you tuned into this Monday night?

Tags: ,

Comments (27)

• Uhhh. There is no hope.

Comment by Renee – December 13, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Renee I assume you are saying no hope if Fear factor the largest viewership and I agree!!! Unreal

Comment by Boiler – December 13, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I didn’t watch anything last night because I fell asleep. But Fear Factor is sometimes pretty exciting to watch. I would be much more likely to watch it regularly if they would dump the gross-out stunts. They’re 100% disgusting and 0% entertaining. The flying/exploding/jumping/driving/boating parts of the show are great, though.

Comment by CJ – December 13, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maury, Fear Factor, Kardashians; why are some people so willfully studid?

Comment by Plum – December 14, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Missed Fear Factor last night but will catch it on demand. Always been a fun show.

Comment by jasie – December 13, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova … WHAT a disappointment. I am a huge sci-fi fan and this is so poorly written. I bailed after 5 episodes. I really tried.

Comment by Ma'at – December 13, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i totally love joe rogan

Comment by Amanda – December 13, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s up with everyone watching CBS thoes show aren’t good for that viewing. And I saw fear factor it was pertty awsum!

Comment by vane – December 13, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welcome back, Fear Factor!

Comment by Rebecca – December 13, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave up on Terra Nova. I was rooting for the dinosaurs but I guess they got bored and gave up, too.

2 Broke Girls is kinda meh but I liked 2 and 1/2 Men and especially Mike and Molly. Kutcher is no Sheen but PLEEEEZ less Jon Cryer.

I watched 10 minutes of Fear Factor….I liked it first go round but now I’ll pass.

Comment by auntiemm – December 13, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the return of Fear Factor. Didn’t watch it during the last go-round, but saw some reruns. It can definitely occupy my reality-tv guilty pleasure Monday over DWTS & The Bachelor. As long as it doesn’t start to feel staged (like DWTS & The Bachelor are).

Comment by Cat – December 13, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fear Factor was exciting. Glad to see it back. I love love love Joe Rogan :)

Comment by Lisa – December 13, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all that CRAP on network TV last nite, me thinks many of us watched some great Cable offerings: Both “The Closer” and “Rissoli and Isles” were terrific.

Comment by Alienate – December 13, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW? HoD repeat?

Comment by micky – December 13, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy FEAR FACTOR gave NBC a lot of guts to bring back the excitement and suspense to a show I’ve really enjoy and go crazy but for TERRA NOVA, looks like next Monday’s two hour event could be its “series finale”.

Comment by kevin – December 13, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched a couple episodes of Terra Nova. My roommate claimed he liked it but I could care less. I wasn’t that impressed. I taped all the rest and they didn’t get watched. Finally, I got tired of them taking up Tivo space and deleted all of them last weekend.

Comment by Lisa – December 13, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should change the name ‘Fear Factor’ to something like ‘People Do Anything For Money’. Hope you guys have fun seeing more vomiting on TV.

Comment by TigerNightmare – December 13, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was excited for Terra Nova but am disappointed at how surprisingly dull and uninspired it is. The stories are not compelling and the lack of dinos, and fear of the unknown, is sorely lacking. I think it would have been a more interesting show to start at the first landing with more mortal danger. Even the Sixer’s are doing okay out in the open without benefit of that giant electrified fence.

Comment by Melissa – December 13, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Terra Nova rallies and survives. That is what I watched last night. I thought it was excellent. Then I watched Pawn Stars (a guilty pleasure).

Comment by kirads09 – December 13, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Fear Factor back. Trashy and fun to watch reality TV at it’s finest.

Comment by SweetD – December 13, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Terra Nova returns for season 2. If not, find a new show for Stephen Lang stat!

Comment by Pam – December 13, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pulling for Terra Nova to get a season 2 as well. I really enjoy it the characters are likeable, and if they would get some better writers and give it another season it could really be good.

Comment by Renee – December 13, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow Fear Factor was so phucking gross!! People eating scorpions,diving into cow blood?? Exciting stuff right there lol. And Terra Nova…that show gives sci fi a bad name. Speilberg,and Braga should be ashamed. It certainly won’t be missed.

Comment by Karen – December 13, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, weak numbers for Hawaii 50 considering it was against a Castle repeat and that it had a huge lead in. CBS must be pretty bummed.

Comment by Julie – December 13, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Fear Factor! Hopefully these good ratings mean the show will return in the summer.

Comment by Snapy – December 13, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post