Ratings: Fear Factor Return Grosses Big Numbers, Penultimate Terra Nova Matches Low

Fear Factor, which in its last incarnation (circa winter 2005/06) was pulled from NBC’s schedule due to sagging ratings and to make room for the Friends spin-off Joey, came back with a bang this Monday night.

The stunts-and-gross-outs spectacular averaged 8.6 million total viewers over its two-hour run, while scoring a 3.4 demo rating. That represents gains of 43 and 111 percent over The Sing-Off‘s most recent performance in the time slot, and scored NBC an easy second-place status in both primetime hours.

NBC notes that Fear Factor delivered the network’s best non-Olympics 8 o’clock demo numbers since February 2008 (Deal or No Deal) and its best 9 o’clock rating since the Sept. 2010 debut of The Event.

Elsewhere on the night:

8 pm | A fresh bit of Broke Girls that opened the hour drew 12.46 mil and a 4.1, down 11 percent in the demo (to a series low) from its last 8:30 outing. Placing third behind Fear Factor, the penultimate freshman episode of Terra Nova (7 mil/2.1) dipped a tenth in the demo to match its series low. ABC’s I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown (5.3 mil/1.3) was a distant fourth.

9 pm | A truly dopey installment of Two and a Half Men (14.7 mil/4.6) nonetheless led the night in audience and in the demo, dipping 10 percent in the latter; Mike & Molly (12.83 mil/3.9) too was down 7 percent in the demo. ABC’s You Deserve It slipped another 10 percent in the demo to place a distant fourth, trailing even a House repeat.

10 pm | A fresh Five-0 dominated with 11 million total viewers and a 2.8 rating, down just a bit week-to-week. NBC’s Rock Center (4.04 mil/1.1) just barely edged out a Castle repeat for second-place honors.

What were you tuned into this Monday night?

1. Renee says:

Uhhh. There is no hope.

• Boiler says:

Renee I assume you are saying no hope if Fear factor the largest viewership and I agree!!! Unreal

• CJ says:

I didn’t watch anything last night because I fell asleep. But Fear Factor is sometimes pretty exciting to watch. I would be much more likely to watch it regularly if they would dump the gross-out stunts. They’re 100% disgusting and 0% entertaining. The flying/exploding/jumping/driving/boating parts of the show are great, though.

• Plum says:

Maury, Fear Factor, Kardashians; why are some people so willfully studid?

2. jasie says:

Missed Fear Factor last night but will catch it on demand. Always been a fun show.

3. Ma'at says:

Terra Nova … WHAT a disappointment. I am a huge sci-fi fan and this is so poorly written. I bailed after 5 episodes. I really tried.

4. Amanda says:

i totally love joe rogan

5. vane says:

What’s up with everyone watching CBS thoes show aren’t good for that viewing. And I saw fear factor it was pertty awsum!

6. Rebecca says:

Welcome back, Fear Factor!

7. auntiemm says:

I gave up on Terra Nova. I was rooting for the dinosaurs but I guess they got bored and gave up, too.

2 Broke Girls is kinda meh but I liked 2 and 1/2 Men and especially Mike and Molly. Kutcher is no Sheen but PLEEEEZ less Jon Cryer.

I watched 10 minutes of Fear Factor….I liked it first go round but now I’ll pass.

8. Cat says:

Loved the return of Fear Factor. Didn’t watch it during the last go-round, but saw some reruns. It can definitely occupy my reality-tv guilty pleasure Monday over DWTS & The Bachelor. As long as it doesn’t start to feel staged (like DWTS & The Bachelor are).

9. Lisa says:

Fear Factor was exciting. Glad to see it back. I love love love Joe Rogan :)

10. Alienate says:

With all that CRAP on network TV last nite, me thinks many of us watched some great Cable offerings: Both “The Closer” and “Rissoli and Isles” were terrific.

11. micky says:

CW? HoD repeat?

12. kevin says:

So happy FEAR FACTOR gave NBC a lot of guts to bring back the excitement and suspense to a show I’ve really enjoy and go crazy but for TERRA NOVA, looks like next Monday’s two hour event could be its “series finale”.

13. Lisa says:

I watched a couple episodes of Terra Nova. My roommate claimed he liked it but I could care less. I wasn’t that impressed. I taped all the rest and they didn’t get watched. Finally, I got tired of them taking up Tivo space and deleted all of them last weekend.

14. TigerNightmare says:

They should change the name ‘Fear Factor’ to something like ‘People Do Anything For Money’. Hope you guys have fun seeing more vomiting on TV.

15. Melissa says:

I was excited for Terra Nova but am disappointed at how surprisingly dull and uninspired it is. The stories are not compelling and the lack of dinos, and fear of the unknown, is sorely lacking. I think it would have been a more interesting show to start at the first landing with more mortal danger. Even the Sixer’s are doing okay out in the open without benefit of that giant electrified fence.

16. kirads09 says:

I really hope Terra Nova rallies and survives. That is what I watched last night. I thought it was excellent. Then I watched Pawn Stars (a guilty pleasure).

17. SweetD says:

Glad to see Fear Factor back. Trashy and fun to watch reality TV at it’s finest.

18. Pam says:

I hope Terra Nova returns for season 2. If not, find a new show for Stephen Lang stat!

19. Renee says:

I’m pulling for Terra Nova to get a season 2 as well. I really enjoy it the characters are likeable, and if they would get some better writers and give it another season it could really be good.

20. Karen says:

Wow Fear Factor was so phucking gross!! People eating scorpions,diving into cow blood?? Exciting stuff right there lol. And Terra Nova…that show gives sci fi a bad name. Speilberg,and Braga should be ashamed. It certainly won’t be missed.

21. Julie says:

Wow, weak numbers for Hawaii 50 considering it was against a Castle repeat and that it had a huge lead in. CBS must be pretty bummed.

22. Snapy says:

I loved Fear Factor! Hopefully these good ratings mean the show will return in the summer.

23. jim says:

My famly loves the show &joe hope for many more sesons PSthe grosr thebeeter