Exclusive

How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Will Sasso Set For New Year's Eve Rematch

Barney and Ted may be ringing in the New Year in the ER.

How I Met Your Mother has tapped Will Sasso (MADtv, $h*! My Dad Says) to reprise his role as MacLaren’s famously combative bartender Doug for the show’s New Year’s-themed episode.

Sasso appeared in HIMYM‘s fist-flying Season 4 opus on masculinity titled “The Fight” as the gang’s loyal bartender-turned-scorned nemesis. (Ted was among the the bullying barkeep’s victims, but Marshall had the last word when he KO’d  him.)

“We always meant to get him back for something good,” exec producer Carter Bays tells TVLine, adding that the episode, airing Jan. 2, “recaps the story of the gang’s New Year’s Eve. It’s very funny — it’s a spoonful of sugar following [last week’s somber outing].”

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Little Scarf Girl says:

Oh good! I loved “The Fight” from Season 4. I wonder how Doug will be involved with the gang this time around.

2. Booooozle says:

Somber? How about down right DEPRESSING! In the span of two episodes the show went from making me ecstatic (Robin & Barney sorta back together) to wanting to stop watching. I hate that they now feel the need to try to make an otherwise amazing sitcom into a “serious” show by delving into the depressig aspects of life. I watch the show for the laughs cause I enjoy feeling happy, not to be brought to tears.

• Joey says:

Oh my god, seriously I’m so fed up with people saying HIMYM is downright depressing, it’s a tv show, and yes the category they fall under is comedy but does that mean that it has to be 100% cheery? the episode was done correctly, the storyline is going perfectly and robin & barney are endgame, please give the show a chance to develop into what Carter Bays has thought about it, they know better how to write his own show than you & I, if you’re relying on a show to keep you happy then go watch arrested development or something. HIMYM does not have to be what YOU want it to be.

• But the most recent episode was depressing. Not only just the kids aspect, but also because the fantasy flashforward assured the audience that Barney and Robin would work things out in the future. (Of course I’m sure they still will, but it would have been nice to have a “light at the end of the tunnel,” so to speak.) I feel like the show took a few too many dramatic turns in the past few episodes (Robin’s “I’m pregnant” declaration from the end of 7.11 is negated in the first few minutes of 7.12, so clearly it was for shock value) and credibility is slipping on a few issues. (Why is Robin seemingly not interested in Barney anymore after pining after him since the beginning of the season? Why does she keep the therapist guy on the hook after cheating and having a pregnancy scare with another man?) So I don’t blame people for being a little annoyed with what’s been going on lately. Hopefully the show will get back on track when they return in January.

• Ashley says:

I completely agree!

• Cheryl says:

I agree with Booooozle. I have been a loyal HIMYM fan for years and was almost completely turned away when the past two episodes aired. I just hope the writers can make up for this new attitude by keeping the group together throughout the end of the show (i.e. Barney and Robin end up together)if this does not happen I do not see many people being happy with the conclusion.

3. bluebonnetbelle says:

Somber my foot…It was downright upsetting to the point that I almost deleted the show from the DVR schedule. I strongly dislike Ted and Robin together so the ending was like pouring salt in my wounds.
    That being said I love Will Sasso and after seeing The Muppets Jason Segel is dreamy and I have to remember it’s just a TV show.

• Carm says:

So you don’t like seeing Ted and Robin being friends? He was being a good friend to Robin at the end of the last episode. Friends do try to cheer each other up.

• ed says:

yea, everyones been complaining that that final scene means Ted and robin are gonna get back together and i think thats stupid. It was pretty clear that Ted was just trying to be a good friend. Oh but seriously that final scene was awesome i loved it..

4. Michael says:

I thought it was funny and smart what HIMYM been doing

5. O'Brien says:

HIMYM is brilliant. If you want a scholcky sitcom, watch something else. This show is creeping into the “dramady” category, and it is LIGHTS OUT. So, so, so good. It’s not just slap bets and secret pop careers, but it’s what happens when you’re supposed to be an “adult,” but you don’t know how. Sometimes that’s funny. Sometimes that’s sad. But this show is note perfect.

Can’t wait to see Will Sasso back – perhaps Robin will learn that Barney tried to see all tough because he wanted her, even back then? Oh, be still my heart!

• brutony says:

What the HELL are you talking about, O’Brien? I cant decipher your comment-are you pro or con HIMYM? This show sucks the big one nowadays, and Im DONE with it! I have two other shows to record on my DVR at that time, so that makes it a perfect time to do it! Ive watched this since day ONE, but after those two dramatic turns, and this last new one was so bad, that it nailed the coffin for me! Now, THATS a review, Mac!

6. Deena says:

I REALLY hope Robin and Ted get back together, at least for a little while (I know she’s not The Mother, so shut up people) because the pilot made me love them to death and even the reveal at the end didn’t stop me. In a perfect world they would end up together regardless, but oh well, this is not a perfect world.

7. Zoe says:

Wahh!! That’s exactly what I wanted too!

8. Arthur says:

Barney and Robin are pretty clearly endgame. I didn’t take away anything shippy with Ted and Robin last episode, since they’re obviously in the BFF zone now. Not everyone has to hook up with everyone else.

9. sasquash says:

Ted and robin have a certain bond like they’re eachothers soulmates, but as best friends. I just hope robin doesn’t end up with Ted, cause we all know how “friendly” robin gets when she’s vulnerable – she immediately falls for the guy catching her in her sorrows. There’s a good possibility barney and robin might end up together in the end because of the whole barney’s tie issue during his wedding. Show has never said anything about barney having kids. – the producers are geniuses. Never felt this affected with a tv show.

10. Philly says:

When is the next 1 ?

11. miker says:

Jan 2nd. It will be an interesting rent of the season but I agree that robin.and barney will end up together. Of course they will be with others until then. Great show.

12. Phily says:

Thanks, I do agree robin & barney will end up together.!