Glee Recap: Merry, With Children [Updated]

Glee got decked out this week in sleigh bells, garland, and a healthy dose of unabashed sentimentality for a Christmas-themed episode that should fulfill two very disparate purposes: Reminding folks of the joys of giving back to the less fortunate, and of course, moving a massive amount of copies of Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album Volume 2.

“Extraordinary Merry Christmas” was less of a fully formed episode and more a collection of holiday carols that paid homage to A Charlie Brown Christmas, The Star Wars Holiday Special, and The Judy Garland Christmas Show. (Checkout this YouTube clip from the last of those specials to see how lovingly the environment got recreated by Glee‘s set decorators.) Still, what the hour lacked in plot it made up for in festive cheer and good vibrations.

Glee: 5 Questions For First-Time Director Matthew Morrison

Rachel, who last time I checked was Jewish, suddenly began channeling Sally from The Peanuts, giving Finn an insane Christmas list that included spray-tanning treatments, teeth-whitening sessions, and even diamonds, then insisting “All I want is what’s coming to me. All I want is my fair share.”

Meanwhile, New Directions got double-booked for the holidays: The Lima PBS station needed them to put on a Christmas special — directed by Artie for a budget of $800 or less — while Sue needed them to provide entertainment for an evening at the homeless shelter. Sue’s charitable streak was either prompted by the fact that it was her first Christmas without her late sister or by the writers deciding she needed some personality rehabbing via adorable kids in need. (The latter wouldn’t be an unprecedented move: Remember when Sue and Schue volunteered in the children’s cancer ward of their local hospital? Uff da.)

And then there was planning for the Christmas special itself: Artie wanted everything lighthearted and upbeat, but Sam — who just left his family and moved back to Lima to get his glee-club on — opted out of the telecast, insisting that acknowledging sad times is the only way to fully appreciate the happy ones. Sam also became Irish exchange student Rory’s Christmas sponsor following one of the worst lines of dialogue in Glee history: “Brit and her family are going on a trip to see a gay Santa. Something about Santa Fey.”

In the end, though, everyone got a happy ending. Rachel saw the error of her ways, returned the diamond earrings Finn bought her, and donated the money to the Salvation Army. New Directions, inspired by Rory’s improvised Linus impersonation about the true meaning of Christmas, finished their PBS gig and rushed to the homeless shelter for some last-minute (though truncated) caroling. Sam and Quinn (not acting beastly for once) skipped the TV appearance to help Sue at the soup kitchen. And Sam, Rory, Rachel, and Finn ended the episode ringing a Salvation Army bell outside an evening showing of It’s a Wonderful Life.

Anyhow, with the plot recapped, let’s get to the week’s best quotes:

* “I thought we agreed that a ‘Things We Did Wrong This Week’ list was hurting more than helping.” –Finn, as Rachel approached him with an unidentified list

* “You said you consider homeless people urban campers.” –Artie, flummoxed by Sue’s desire to volunteer at the shelter

* “This is my, um, best friend and holiday roommate.” –Kurt, introducing Blaine with a retro wink, as they introduced the PBS special from their “holiday chalet”

* “I think these are the end times.” –Mercedes dropping a hilariously deadpan punch line mid-Christmas special

And now, let’s get on to the grades for this week’s musical numbers (though I’m skipping my usual “relevance to the plot” grade, since there wasn’t much plot of any kind):

“All I Want for Christmas Is You,” Mercedes
A relaxed, restrained Mercedes kicked off the week by trimming the rehearsal-room tree and belting Mariah Carey’s peppy seasonal ditty, though was she delivering it to Sam (note how she wrapped her garland around his neck) or that barely sketched boyfriend of hers, of whom she never speaks?
Musical grade: A-

“Blue Christmas,” Rory
Why was this performance filmed and staged so statically? And why was Rory dressed like a gas station attendant? Somehow, his inclusion felt like Ryan Murphy & Co. woke up and realized they needed to do something (anything, really) with that Glee Project winner before his seven episodes were completed.
Musical grade: C

“River,” Rachel
I didn’t understand the logic of Rachel choosing this wistful ballad just moments after agreeing with Artie that their pageant should be comprised of uptempo, joyous music, but damn if she didn’t sound amazing performing in front of a backdrop of glittering pines and the gentle fall of snow on the McKinley auditorium stage.
Musical grade: A-

“Extraordinary Merry Christmas,” Rachel and Blaine
A fun but slight interlude for Darren Criss and Lea Michele (rocking an a-mah-zing blue dress with white sparkly snowflakes). I have to admit, though, that I kept getting distracted by the way Mike Chang was dressed like Freddy Krueger.
Musical grade: B

“Let It Snow,” Kurt and Blaine
A jazzy, uptempo take on the seasonal classic with gorgeous harmonies and retro dancing. This rivals “Baby It’s Cold Outside” in the Klaine classics department.
Musical grade: A

“My Favorite Things,” Rachel, Mercedes, Kurt, and Blaine
A little Rodgers and Hammerstein is always welcome at any party, no?
Musical grade: B+

“Santa Claus Is Coming to Town,” Puck and Finn
What did Mark Salling do this season that he always seems to get assigned the least moving/most karaoke productions for his solos? Either way, this Springsteen knockoff was fun, I guess, but not deeply exciting.
Musical grade: B-

“Christmas Wrapping,” Brittany and the Cheerios
Brittany leading a team of sexy Santa’s helpers through a rhythmic gymnastics routine? Yes, please. I was just bummed that the song got cut short before my favorite line: “A&P has provided me with the world’s smallest turkey.”
Musical grade: A-

“Do They Know It’s Christmas?,” New Directions
I’ll admit I struggled a little bit with the setup — was it really necessary to plunk New Directions into the middle of a homeless shelter filled with adorable moppets? — but they sang the bejeezus out of it nevertheless.
Musical grade: B+

What did you think of “Extraordinary Merry Christmas”? What was your favorite number? Take our poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts. And for all my Glee recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jax says:

Santa baby. Oh wait, the morons cut it. >:

Otherwise it’s “Don’t they know it’s Christmas”

2. Lynne S. says:

Where was the scene where Blaine is giving Kurt a gift???

3. Caroline says:

Can Santa Baby be a choice even though it was cut from the episode?? I’m 100% sure it would’ve been my favorite. But if I have to pick another one, Do They Know It’s Christmas all the way..

4. Krystal says:

Santa Baby was by far the BES….

Wait. Nevermind.

• Captain says:

Why does everyone care about Santa Baby so much? Santana is my favourite character and I adore her voice (as well as the song) but what did it have to do with the episode? I think the episode went on just ine without it and as much as I love Naya Rivera and her marvelous voice, her rendition of the song (while admirable) isn’t nearly as good as some of the existing covers (although its better than Madonna’s).

5. Rick says:

Loved the Star Wars homage! After tonight, there should be a campaign to get the Star Wars Christmas special aired again! I know the story, Lucas hates it. Well, it can’t be any worse than Jar Jar Binks, and he put that annoying guy in 3 movies.

• Carmichael says:

This a thousand times over

• Grace says:

Oh, it’s so much worse than you can imagine. There’s an entire segment of Chewie’s wookie family calling at each other, with no other interaction, without subtitles. It’s mind-numbing.

• McGee says:

True. I have it on DVD. I am a Star Wars fam for life, but that thing is Baaaad. That said I do like that both Glee and Community gave nods to it in their episodes this year.

6. Jane says:

Santa Baby all the way! Man, that was ah-mazing!

7. Anna says:

Let it Snow.

But I’m really dissapointed at the missing Klaine gift scene, aaah! and why did we need to see finchel three times talking about a pig?

8. Elizabeth says:

Let It Snow. Once again, Kurt and Blaine’s duet kills it.

Also, Blue Christmas was BEAUTIFUL.

9. Nicole says:

The fact that everyone is saying Santa Baby gives me hope for humanity, despite the fact that tonight’s episode of Glee made me weep with rage.

And other than the fraction of a second preview we got for that imaginably glorious performance, the only slightly longer Christmas Wrapping was obvi the highlight of the night.

10. mickey says:

Finn and Rachel stole the show – I LOVE THEM

• Kate1 says:

LOL. They can’t steal a show if they’re already the A storyline. Normally I don’t mind Finchel, but holy hell that was boring as f***.

• Babygate says:

Agreed! Wow that was a lot of Finchel tonite. After the first 15 minutes I was done…

• yep says:

I love Finchel and enjoy their scenes but this was BORING!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn’t stay awake. Absolutely awful. I thought last season’s xmas episode was stupid but this one was worse. This was a promotion to sell their xmas CD. I believe Glee has the best music on TV but way too many songs. This was a bust. I thought the new writers were supposed to bring something new to the show but this was not it. I woke up in time to see the scenes from the next episode which caught my attention. OH, wait I was awake through the whole thing WHY?

• Bad Breaker says:

Whew, I so agree and was beginning to think that I must be some sort of Scrooge for thinking this was a terribly boring episode.

• Mark says:

Agreed. This was the worst episode ever. Luckily I had it on my DVR and I blew past the dreadful black-and-white portion of the show. Horrible, just horrible.

• yep says:

This is Glee which is written to be edgy and corny. I realize the parody of the Charlie Brown xmas stuff but this was awful. And as fandom responds to the airing of the episode we all see that one loved it or thought it was awful. Pointless. This is Glee for you it’s a winner or a loser very seldom anything in between. IMO the worst episode ever for the show. I’ve already erased it on my DVR. I have no intentions of revisiting this crap.
            I’m holding on to a thin thread that the rest of the season will be better. It better.
            For my favorite characters are what keep me watching. Their storyline coming up should be good.
            I really felt like a scrouge with a sour attitude til I read so many responses on several forums felt the same way.
            Power to all of those who enjoyed this but you’ll never change my mind about this episode.
            The fun times at the beginning were good but went down hill fast when the xmas special came and never left.
            Finchel moments were cute but stupid and boring.
            I just feel remorse for feeling that I’ve wasted time on an episode that could have been really awesome.

• Jericho says:

While I agree the episode was just plain bad, the Black & White portion of the show was the highlight. At least the first number. While I think that “Let it Snow” went on a tad too long, I thought it was a good start. Toss in the whole “Best Friends” and “Bachelor Pad” bit as a nod to how being gay was treated back in the 60s was quite nice.

The rest of the show was just plain bad though. The entire opening just was uninteresting and fun. No matter how much dancing around in the background, those songs weren’t interesting. The entire episode felt like it was disjointed and lost. Pushing Rory on us, with yet another weak song with no production value is getting old. If his rendition of the Jim Henson classic didn’t make you want to reach through the screen and strangle him for ruining your memories, his version of Blue Christmas certainly should have. Toss in the attempt to make Sue human yet again and you have a bad episode.

Recently the show had been getting better and better with its musical numbers by pushing Rachel into the background and continually featuring Mercedes and Santana, bring back more of that and save the season from this episodes type of shmaltz.

11. Kel says:

Finn is the greatest ever… that is all…

• jemm says:

I love Finn and Cory Monteith!

• yep says:

Finn had good boyfriend, noble intentions, while never thinking or feeling how overly selfish Rachel was wanting presents. He thought out presents that were financially reasonable for him but thoughtful with sentiment. First, the pig with a payment plan to help feed the needy in Africa. Rachel was taken aback about pork of all things for someone Jewish even though it wasn’t for her to eat. Being a vegan makes her a lot more sensitive to any animal as a food substance. The star was very sweet jesture even when he named it after himself seemed bizarre but as he explained why he made that choice she melted by his thoughtfulness. I have been loving Finchel this season and they have been putting everything into their cuteness even when they are in the background.

12. Janny says:

Was it me or were a lot of scenes cut from tonite’s episode? The black and white parody was too long, they should of fit some more awesome stuff in. I would’ve rather like to have seen Santa Baby, Kurt giving Blaine exchanging gift and Santana helping Finn pick out the earings for Rachel. Oh, well. I thought it was a cute episode and waay better than last year’s.

My favorite music number was ‘Do They Know Its Christmas’ and the number Blaine and Rachel sang. I wasn’t too keen on ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’, the vocals were not nearly as impressive as Mariah’s, I guess I’m biased because the orginal was/is so great and I’m a tad disapointed. The only time I like Mercedes is when she’s singing not talking so that was a bonus this episode. I like when Santana is used in small doses, and adore the little interactions in the background between her and Britanny. Santana in small doses is brilliant.

Still not on the Samcedes train, they have no chemistry. At all. In the end I loved the Finchel scene and how Rachel redeemed herself. Mercedes, Santana take notes.

13. Melly says:

I agree…I waited for Santa Baby…and waited. and waited and then was sad

14. Carmichael says:

Let it Snow was ok but it was way too long and got repetitive.

15. Spencer says:

This episode was terrible. Blaine is sooooo annoying, although there duet was nice. My favorite song was ‘All I want for Christmas is You’. Other than that, this episode was atrocious because of how cheesy (in a bad way) and because Blaine had such a big part. Although Artie letting out his inner director was good.

• Wenders says:

Apparently, you missed the point that it was SUPPOSED to be over-the-top and cheesy. It’s a homage to the 1960s Christmas TV specials. They were pure camp.

• J Ryan says:

Blaine is a newcomer to the group but has already become more of a diva than Rachel. With so many talented members why does he get all the focus?
      I understand what they were going for with the 60s look of the production but why they chose to go with it is a mystery. It wasn’t interesting. If this were a real holiday special I would have changed channels in the middle of the first song.

16. jordan says:

What a boring Christmas episode.

• J Ryan says:

This episode was HORRIBLE. Too much thrown in so it was just a jumble. “Do They Know It’s Christmas” is a great song but the wrong choice to sing at a homeless shelter. Too many uninspiring performances as well.

• Alienate says:

I could list 5 reasons why this episode was boring/lame/etc.

But I’m too bored with it to bother.

17. Kate says:

Would have been Santa Baby, but they cut it. Why did they have to tease us with it in the promo tho? That was so cruel. lol Now I just want to see Santa Baby.

18. crappy says:

I was yawning throughout the whole episode lol.

19. Sammie says:

This epsiode was so stupid. Incredibly stupid and yet I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it. I have dropped numerous shows over the years due to stupidity (ex: House, Greys Anatomy) but Glee is STILL my guilty pleasure. Rachel (Lea Michele) stole the show for me. Maybe, when she leaves the show I can do something productive with my Tuesdays.

20. Josh says:

Don’t bother with a recap, because I can do it in one line:

“Everyone realizes the true meaning of Christmas and helps the poor rather than focusing on the material or superficial.”

The songs were fine, but the point of this episode was clearly to cram in as much Christmas music as possible so a CD can be put out. There was no worthwhile plot, although they finally did mention Artie’s fake legs we haven’t seen since last season. Overall, kind of a waste of an hour- if you have yet to see it, I’d recommend putting it on as background music.

21. april-ann says:

LOVED the Sally line by Rachel: All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share.

• yep says:

But this is what sucked about it. Rachel is Jewish and is greedy wanting five xmas presents what she believes she’s due. Not to me. Even her so called redemption in the end was superficial. LAME AND DULL ANS STUUUUUUPIDDD!!!!!!! I am usually on the show’s side and support it but not tonight. The xmas special was absolutely lame as hell. There could have been other topics to cover about other characters instead of wasting screen time on the too long 1950’s special. I realize it was supposed to be a mockery of the time period but it was awful.

• Scott says:

Yes! And Damian got the Linus line (Lights please!)

• Rock Golf says:

Yeah. The Irish Catholic kid read a section from the King James Version (e.g.: Protestant version) of the Bible.

In Ireland that’s practically a mortal sin.

• atlgroove says:

And, Artie’s budget exceeded $800 with wardrobe alone. Who cares? This show is purely for entertainment value and should not be overanalyzed.

• april-ann says:

Thank you! I’m almost sorry I mentioned it (Sally’s cute line from A Charlie Brown Christmas).

• Carmichael says:

Isn’t Damian actualy Northern Irish? I don’t know about Rory, but i could swear I saw he was, meaning he likely is Protestant

22. Sg.Grant says:

The black and white part was absolutely terrible.

The Sam and Rory parts were the only thing that was good.

23. Anne says:

I was disappointed at how much was cut out of this episode as well. Thought the directing of the black n white scenes was awful,(sorry Matthew)
    Overall not a strong episode, although I did enjoy Do They Know It’s Christmastime?

24. D says:

Really disappointed about “Little Drummer Boy” not being in the show. It was a decent episode, but it could have been better.

25. Tess says:

Am I the only one who thought it was a little bit in poor taste to have the New Directions kids sing “Do They Know Its Christmas” to the homeless folks at the shelter? It just felt terribly condescending to me.

• Dani says:

^^ This.

Also, I am not a frequent Glee watcher (a.k.a I’ve see maybe four or five episodes total), so I thought I’d tune in for kicks. This episode was pretty boring, and I switched between it and other channels multiple times. The black and white thing was kind of funny, but stretched a bit too long. Liked The Waitresses cover.

Overall, my problem with Glee is when it comes to particularly famous songs, such as the songs in this episode, there seems to be a lack of the glee club element. Most of the songs tonight were just one or two people singing with a band. There were some good harmonies, but little to no vocal instrumentation. I guess after hearing Rumor Has It/Someone Like You, I was expecting much more vocal action, and not just solos and duets.

• MichelleR says:

See, and my husband looked at me like I was crazy when I said that. This is a song you sing to the 1%ers and/or the people with jobs and homes and disposable income. The song was from the prosperity of the Reagan years, and is about remember the underprivileged.

• maj says:

The song’s always been a bit condescending but Glee’s version totally pisse me off, to he point of ranting about it on Twitter. XD Glad to know I’m not the only one thinking this.

• Tony says:

I totally agree. Lines like “Tonight thank God it’s them instead of you” are meant to be ironic. I am a Glee fan, and thought “wow… not a good choice.” I thought they sang well, but the visuals attached to the music was terrible. “The clanging chimes of doom” should not be sung with a smile on your face Puck.

• Youknowthatsright says:

Yes, I was appalled by the whole song, but that line and Puck’s face really stood out to me as well. I’m a fan, I don’t take it seriously, but even I could not get over them cheerfully singing and the homeless crowd dancing and smiling. Ugh…what poor taste.

26. cassie says:

I wish Santa Baby was in this episode. Holy overload of Finchel, it’s becoming annoying.

27. Breanna says:

Really people??! Let It Snow is winning?? In my opinion, it was the worst, and Klaine completely ruined one of my favourite Christmas songs. Plus it was just way too fast.

• Jax says:

^This. It was just an excuse to throw a Klaine duet in there. I hated it.

• econruth says:

I am a huge Blaine/Darren fan and I absolutely hated their duet. The song was much too fast and they looked like they would rather be anywhere else then doing this cheesy Christmas special. I went back and rewatched Baby It’s Cold Outside – it has the same living room scene/shot through the windows look – and was infintely better.

28. pastrygurl says:

All I want for Christmas is you… Let it snow and Blue Christmas.

Where can I find there version of Santa Baby that got cut???

29. aunt_deen says:

Wow. Most preachy and tedious episode ever. The black & white segment was painful.

• m says:

Yes. I realize it was supposed to be a parody and probably a bad one at that (since Artie’s a young inexperienced director) but wow, was it painful. And the story…wait there was a story?
      I rarely, if ever rant about a Glee ep in comment sections but I rřeally did hate this episode. The muusic was OK though as someone pointed out earlier it wasn’t very Glee…just a couple of singers dueting.
      If this whole episode was supposed to be a warm and fuzzy parody on cliché on TV and film, which was something Glee used to be good at, it just didn’t succeed at all.

• yep says:

Agree. Glee used to be good at making one feel warm and fuzzy but this didn’t even get out of the cold.

• Amber says:

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thought these things. Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one who notices when Glee sucks. I’m pleased to see there are others out there.

30. Babygate says:

Wait, there was a Santa Baby and it was cut out???? But they left that awful ‘river’ song in?
    The good: Sue’s confession about her sister and Rory’s reading were touching. Let it Snow was pretty cool and Brittany’s number rocked.
    The bad: FINCHEL OVERLOAD!!! Holy crap! Enough! There are so many talented performers on this show that we rarely get to see shine. Quinn has a beautiful voice. Tina can do everything. Mike is a delight to watch when he dances. Brittany is one serious, serious dancer. And Santana is funny as heck. But everything revolves around Finchel. There’s only so many ‘soulful ballads’ I can take.
    I was disappointed with tonight’s episode. It was kind of cliche. The black and white thing was just a bad idea (on the Christmas episode where all the decorations should be bright and colorful and shining?) and the imbalance with character’s performances is becoming annoying…
    BTW, that Rory kid has an amazing, amazing voice. But I think that the other ‘Glee Project’ girl who appeared on last week’s epi would have been a much better choice. She has a real stage and camera presence. Is the other kid actually going to play Mercedes’ cross-dressing brother? If he is, let it be for one episode only so I can skip it and forget about it. That storyline is way over the top…

31. disappointed says:

what a disapointing episode. The black and white portion was dull and far too long. Too many songs crammed in and no real story again.

All the pieces they seemed to cut out would most likely have made a better episode than what we saw.

32. Snuts says:

Santa Baby FTW! Oh wait..it was cut! Then nothing..one of the worse episode ever!

33. MichelleR says:

Who sings a song about thanking God you’re not a poor person, TO poor people, while grinning?

34. Amelie says:

Can Quinn please sing?! She has such a pretty voice, and yet it completely underused and underrated. At least give us a Rachel/Quinn duet or maybe Sam/Quinn at the very least.

35. cheryl says:

Liked the Springsteen version of Santa Claus is coming to town

36. Dara says:

Rachel and Puck are Jewish, couldn’t this episode have a little holiday diversity?

Although, go Sam and Quinn for doing the right thing, for non-selfish reasons.

• shadowkate says:

^^ THIS

I was wondering the same thing last year too. It is like for one episodes a year, they forget that there are JEWISH characters. I celebrate both but my focus is on Hanukkah, not christmas.

• mimi says:

Note how the only Jewish character they ever have show his religion is the school tv station guy (name escapes me) that is every bad Jewish stereotype out there. (cheap, a nerd, big fuzzy curly hair, etc.) I noticed this originally in the first season, and watched this episode with interest to see if they might have something inclusive this holiday season toward the Jewish characters…

The only Judaic mention was at the end when Rachel said “Happy Hanukkah” while ringing a Salvation Army bell (a Christian organization!). oy vey

• dan says:

The writers had plenty of opportunity for either Rachel or Puck (or both) to throw in a Jewish/Hanukkah line or two. What bothered me is that Rachel was begging Finn for Christmas presents. WTF? All she needed to say is “here is my list for you to pick 8 gifts from, one for each night of Hanukkah” and that would’ve solved the continuity problem. Also, who else thinks Artie is supposed to be Jewish and maybe Tina is half Jewish? We learned last night that Artie’s last name is Abrams and we already knew that Tina’s last name is Cohen Chang…both could be Jewish characters (NOTE: this wasn’t orignally my speculation, but I agree with it; I read it in a magazine story several months ago). The tv special was beyond cheesy, but it was supposed to be. Why sing “My Favorite Things” during the tv special? That made no sense to me (it isn’t a holiday song). Not my favorite episode, but I appreciated it for a stand-alone holiday special that furthered a few minor plot points along (Rachel & Finn’s relationship; Rory and Sam becoming friends…although they are both considered “guest stars” so who knows how long the friendship will last; Sue becoming more tolerable and acknowledging her loss in the political campaign).

37. Layla says:

Community’s glee Christmas episode, kicked Glee’s Christmas episodes ass. Just saying.

38. Steph says:

I love Glee, and I really enjoyed this episode and the black and white parts were fine (loved the humor) But some numbers were too long (repeating the same long verses with different voices sucked!), and I hate that Santa Baby was cut. There was poor usage of Chewbacca, and over usage of “Finchel.” Saint Finn is annoying the crap out of me. He pushes Santana out of the closet, but it’s because he “cares” so no one is mad about it. His crazy girlfriend goes total diva but he brings her down a few notches by being all romantic. ::barfing noises::

39. Liz says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought “Do they Know It’s Christmas?” was the weirdest song choice ever for that moment. It’s one of my least favorite songs anyway, but to perform it at a homeless shelter seemed horribly tacky.

Overall I didn’t think it was that bad, it just never seemed very geniune. And while I’m probably in the minority of people who didn’t mind the Rachel/Finn scenes I was really looking forward to the Kurt/Blaine and Finn/Santana scenes we were promised; and I don’t even like Blaine that much.

I will say Sam is becoming one of my favorite characters. Maybe because he was the only one who seemed even a little sane? Oh, and I thought “Blue Christmas” was beautiful.

40. Brianne says:

blaine is the only reson i watch the show.

41. Lulabella says:

Rachel is a VEGAN. How could Finn seriously forget this?

And way tacky choice of song to sing at a homeless shelter.

Sue, Quinn, and Sam win all of the awards.

Let Quinn sing!

• Scott says:

I think it’s a running joke that Finn can’t remember she’s vegan. I like that he’s clueless and dumb sometimes.

• gina says:

It’s not like Rachel is the one eating the pig! The gift is to feed a family in Africa. Get over yourselves.

• Tate says:

This!!!! I have to say – people are so stupid about the vegan thing… it is actually hilarious. Finn is such a sweetheart… I think his presents were great. I am beginning to think that no one is EVER happy with an episode. it is sad. Lea and cory are leads – they deserve to be highlighted… loved the episode. Great message and entertainment. The B/W stuff was a little long, but it was worth it to see Finn as a Jedi…

This fandom is so so sad… everything is a problem, nothing is ever good enough…. these people are everything the message of glee isn’t…

42. Siobhan says:

Did Rachel forget she was Jewish until the very end where the added a last minute, half assed line of her saying “Happy Hannukah”? Would a Jewish girl really make a Christmas list for her boyfriend? I get exchanging gifts since he’s Christian but at least mention her faith like they did last year. And I wish they hadn’t cut the Blaine/Kurt scene. And I’m assuming Santana was singing Santa Baby? Is there a clip online somewhere?

I hate that “Do They Know It’s Christmas” song and this didn’t help. Why were they all wearing cheesy ass grins while singing lines like “The Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom”? That’s not really a great song to try and lift the homeless people’s spirits. Also, a soup kitchen in Ohio is not the same thing as starving in Africa. The whole thing made no sense.

• Kay says:

Also, during the episode when Rachel told Finn “All I want is My Fair Share…” she gave that pig gift back to him saying she appreciated it but did not want it so he said he was going to give it to his mother instead. So then when they showed that last part at the end where she had the pig photo in her locker, I thought that was dumb. They should have shown Blaine giving Kurt the ring box. But no, they had to cut that scene out. And they could have aired “Santa Baby” as well. But I did like the black and white sequence and Kurt and Blaine’s duet. Also, my favorite song was Rachel and Blaine’s duet.

43. mike says:

should have been more chewbacca, like more cow bell!

44. sk says:

I think “Let It Snow” was my favorite. Though, I do think the black and white special thing went on too long. I still don’t understand how “My Favorite Things” is a Christmas song. I’ve heard people do it as a Christmas song before and I just don’t get it. Am I the only one that doesn’t see it?

45. Meg says:

I was annoyed that Rachel kept going on about Christmas presents when she’s Jewish. Why didn’t she say she wanted Hannukah presents? She didn’t mention Hannukah ’til the very last scene.

46. Dee says:

What a great episode. The black and white portion was especially pretty.

Loved it. I guess some are too young to remember the holiday specials of yesteryear. The celebrities just “popping in” the bursting into song, the canned laughter and cheesy humor.

It looked beautiful in black and white, imagine what it looked like in color?

Loved all the songs except I didn’t really know the song that Brittney sang.

• whoknew says:

I grew up in the 50’s and watched all those cheesy shows and they were a hundred times better and enjoyable to watch. This was a mockery of that time period and was as boring as watching paint dry.

• dan says:

I’m in my 40s and remember some of those shows. Everything about Glee’s recreation of those tv specials was spot on, but it still rang hollow for me (and I understood the joke). The canned audience laughter was annoying and the whole thing went on too long. I didn’t hate it, but it won’t go down in history as a favorite episode.

47. Jess says:

I liked the part at the end where we saw the January preview. Lately, seeing the previews for the next episode gives me a glimmer of hope that I won’t be disappointed next time. Here’s to a new year of glee with no forced story lines, no force feeding characters into potentially amazing story lines, no more accidental story lines, no blatant sexism, no missed opportunities and no more embarrassingly bad episodes like tonight! glee 2012!

48. Cody says:

I almost threw up during the gift scene. Remember, not everyone loves “Finchel”. And they call us realists. I mean “The Douche”, formally known as Finn, gives her a pig. A pig that other people are going to eat. First, she’s vegan. Secondly, she’s Jewish (though I don’t know if she’s orthodox or not, but nonetheless, she’s vegan). Can we just skip to after graduation? Because I for one hope she dumps him and moves to NYC.

49. Darcy says:

I loved this episode. I thought it was one of the funniest Glee’s yet. I really loved the satire of the black and white TV show – maybe I appreciated it more because I recently watched Judy Garland’s Christmas show on You Tube? The only thing that disappointed me was the cut scenes. Fox actually displayed promotional pictures of Blaine giving Kurt a gift in a ring box and then they cut the scene. WHAT?

50. Leo says:

Mercedes didn’t annoy me as much this episode. I love her cover of “All I Want For Christmas Is You”. As for Santana, I’m glad it got cut off, I can do one episode without her singing a solo. BUT! She sounds totally awesome in CD. I just got tired of seeing her singing. And Finnchel? Super. Awesome.
    I lol-led at Sue saying they destroys the songbook, one mash-up at a time. *glares at TT*

• Jax says:

I’d have agreed with this if we hadn’t gotten 3 Rachel songs. I would have been happy if they replaced River and My favorite things with Little Drummer Boy and Santa baby. Also, Santana is awesome.

• Captain says:

Santana is by far the best character on the show and if her song was anything a little more relevent, I’d agree with you but her singing Santa Baby for no apparent reason (especially since she didn’t have a storyline last night) just seems forced. Atleast Rachel’s 3 songs were relevent to her storyline and her rendition of River is just too beautiful not to be include).