Covert Affairs Scoop: Did Auggie Sense Annie's Heartbreak? And Is He Really Going to Africa?

No amount of heightened senses could help Covert Affairs‘ Auggie see what was right in front of him as Season 2 came to a close last week — that Annie, with a nudge from her sister Danielle, had come to a realization about her feelings for her CIA colleague.

Mind you, Auggie did sense that something was on the mind of his bestie. It’s just that he guessed wrong.

“You see it in the [final] scene — Annie stands up at a weird moment, and you can see it on his face that he’s wondering where she is going,” Christopher Gorham told us at a Hollywood Foreign Press Association event kicking off the Golden Globes awards season. “But he thinks that she’s torn up about having killed a guy [during her Stockholm assignment], because that’s the first time she’s killed a man and it’s a big moment.”

USA Network Sets Winter Return Dates for White Collar and Royal Pains

So while Auggie did pick up on something in Annie’s voice, his lack of sight kept him from processing a wince of heartbreak on her face. So he went about detailing his plan to track down his new girlfriend Parker at her Peace Corps outpost in Eritrea.

“Not being able to see [Annie] in that moment causes him to completely miss what’s going on for her,” says Gorham. “Plus, his head is just in a very different place.”

Besides, Gorham notes, Auggie would have no reason to be looking for any such overture from Annie. “He has no idea that she’s having romantic thoughts. He wasn’t there for that conversation between her and her sister, so he couldn’t know.”

Gossip Girl Alum Lands USA Network Pilot

Annie was left to speed away in her shiny old-but-new gift of a ’67 Corvette, wiping away some unexpected tears. But will Auggie in fact be getting on a jet plane, in the name of love?

“From what I understand, Auggie is going to Africa,” Gorham ventures, looking ahead to Season 3. Having already traveled with the USA Network hit to location shoots including Istanbul, Stockholm and Jordan, he says, “I’m not sure exactly where were going to film that, but based on history it’s going to be some place far away…. My poor wife!”

Who do you think is Auggie’s perfect match? And who is Annie’s? (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Jill says:

I’m so not interested in seeing a romance between Annie and Auggie. I really like him with Parker, and they’ve given her way too many male interests, though my favorite is of course, Ben. Annie and Auggie are best are great friends and co-workers, who are there for each other in that way. I look forward to seeing Auggie in Africa with Parker.

2. Melanie says:

I almost never ‘ship’ anybody on shows but I really hope that Auggie and Annie end up together. Not right away and there doesn’t need to be a lot of relationship drama taking away from the action, but someday . . .

3. Jen says:

I hope next season we see more development from Annie & Auggie from Auggie’s POV. I really do want to see them 1 day blossom into more. I’m all for the slow burn, hell it’s what happens with most of my pairings I root for, but there’s a difference between slow burn and completely back peddling. He met Parker like 3 episodes ago and has been with her a few months apparently and is ready to run off to Africa with her? :\ Just kind of grates. Oh well. I’ll def keep watching bc I do enjoy this show but I do hope that we see some sort of story arch next yr. This season was severally lacking IMO as far as that’s concerned plus the A&A scenes were so scarce towards the end. I hope that changes nxt yr.

• Rachel says:

100% agree with this. And actually respectfully disagree with some of the other comments. I do see Auggie as a potential “true love” for Annie, in the context of those kinds of loves that we never see coming and just sort of sprung up on us. And in the end turns out to be what we always needed, had, but never realized up until some point in our lives. Regardless, i agree taht the A&A interactions this season were far too scarce and they srsly, as much as i love the show as a whole, them two definitely make each episode they are in the best. So I do hope we see more development in their relationship (building up to a possible romance) in S3. A&A ftw, though, most definitely!

• Ellen says:

I’m with you. I want A+A to go real slowly — I always fear another Moonlighting fiasco. I like them working together and think it’s a good way to throw them in eachothers’ orbits. I want Annie to work it out with her sister, figure out how to have/be a sister, and yet maintain whatever secrecy her work demands. As for Auggie, his relationship with Parker doesn’t make sense to me – someone in his position would NOT be following someone around the world so soon. I thought was a poignant moment when his eye specialist told him he couldn’t restore his vision (although someday I think it will happen for him), and so he gave Annie his car. He entrusted her with his favorite possession – another way to keep her close. I enjoy the show and while this season has been a little slower than last, I can’t wait for its return, IF they just get rid of Jay — he turns my stomach.

• Alli says:

I’m definitely pro A&A but am more concerned about the serious lack of screen time they had together in Season 2. The chemistry between Auggie and Annie – friendly, romantic or otherwise – is the best thing about the show and what grounds it and makes it watchable. If the showrunners know where their bread is buttered, they will make an effort to up the A&A interactions in Season 3. Without it, the show is just an average “spy” type procedural that affords me time to treat Christopher Gorham as eye candy.

4. DL says:

I dunno, I can’t say that I ever really though Annie and Auggie should be a couple. They have a certain rapport, a chemistry that I thought COULD develop into romantic feelings at some point, but I thought this happened a little quickly, and also I would see it as a digression from an eventual “true love” for Annie, be it Ben or someone else. They don’t really strike me as two people who belong together in the long run. I’m definitely on the Auggie and Parker ‘ship wagon.

5. AA says:

Annie and Auggie plz!

6. Tasha says:

I hope they don’t end up together. It’s really refreshing when a TV show has a man and woman just be best friends, like Kara and Helo on BSG. I thought CA was going in that direction, but I guess not. Well, he’s better than Ben, I guess.

• Lisa says:

Tasha I agree with you. I find Annie and Augie’s interaction as friends who support each other far more interesting (he’s like Q to her James Bond). I almost wish they had made Augie gay from the start (or Annie gay, or both the same sex but hetero) so there wouldn’t be this whole “will they won’t they” plot that happens with every show. It’s just that most writers don’t know how to keep things interesting once the 2 pretty people finally get together.

• KBC says:

HA, yes. Annie should end up in Boston somehow and run into Det. Rizzoli… now that would be a hot pair.

• Laura says:

Lisa, so totally agree with you. The “will they or won’t they” has become such a cliche and seems almost like lazy writing on the part of the writers, never mind the fact that sooner or later you have to get them together and that completely ends the dynamic of the show and thakes the air out of it. How much more intersting would it be for Annie and Auggie to develop a truly supportive relationship that is about being friends. I think it also makes for the opportunity of more intersting stories as each of them explores relationships independently of each other.

• cj says:

BSG SHOUT OUT!

7. Lizzie says:

For me, I’m in the small group apparently that wants to see Annie and Auggie be more one day. Hope it happens :-).

8. Ashley says:

I have been waiting for Auggie and Annie to get together since the start!! I was heart broken when he got his bad news from the doctor on his eyes. Auggie (Chris Gorham) just makes me melt and him and Annie together needs to happen in the show!

9. Bella says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Annie with Augie some day. I like the fact that it’s been a slow development rather than teasing the viewers for years (I’m looking at you, Bones, among others). But if she and Augie don’t get together at the end, I’m hoping for Ben or even that Mossad guy.

10. Natalie says:

Not that I wouldn’t love to see Auggie with Annie at some point, but my ultimate Annie pairing is definitely, DEFINITELY the Israeli government agent…though after what happened a couple of episodes ago I doubt we’ll be seeing much more of him. It would be great for him to come in as a CIA asset or something else that would enable them to date. I know she’s not allowed to date foreigners but there’s GOT to be a way! I mean they have killer chemistry together and who doesn’t love him?! He’s GORGEOUS.

11. Ray says:

I don’t think Auggie is headed to get Parker. It seems she brought back his desire to see again because of the tie to her brother. I would not be suprised if he went somewhere to try a risky procedure. As far as giving Annie the car,giving up on seeing again is the obvious reason but not the only one. Those that don’t see the chemistry between Auggie and Annie must not be watching the same show. Especially on his part.

• Natalie says:

I don’t know, he DID say he had something he had to say to someone’s face and Annie even interpreted it as being aimed toward a woman. If he was going for some risky procedure, I doubt he would have given Annie his car seeing as how he’d hope to have the eyesight to drive it when he got back…

• Natalie says:

my bad…didn’t get through all of your post before finishing my first response. Sorry :/ Got a little ahead of myself there.

12. Kat says:

I love Annie and Ben but I’m also coming around to Annie and Auggie. She and Ben have incredible chemistry but I’m not sure she’d be able to trust him. Annie and Auggie have complete trust and a wonderful friendship and I can see that turning into something amazing and much deeper. I can’t see Annie with Moussad or Jay at all. Or anyone outside the agency because no so called normal guy could handle her life.

13. cuius says:

Surely the big story was – the end of the VW Golf?

14. Sad says:

It came utterly out of left field, there was no build up all season or such for these two… it feels like lazy writing. 1st season, Ben, Ben and Ben… this season… oh, ummm… Ben HAS to stay away… then out of the blue, hey Auggie is the man. Wait, what? Lazy, poor writing… ah, but the viewers won’t notice, because we film in shiny international locations!

15. Eliza says:

I did like Annie with the Doctor.
    She even had great chemistry with that hot chef.
    And I definitely love me some Eyal Lavin.

Tbh, I haven’t been someone who’s dying for an Annie & Auggie hookup.

It’s just not my focus when enjoying the show.. Same way I was never dying for a Shawn & Juliet hookup on Psych.

So, if it happens, great! Open to seeing where it goes. If it doesn’t, I am fine with that too.

16. Randi says:

I agree with everyone that is saying they want them to go slow. I think it should go slow and be kept secret from each other. The jealousy(but not excessive) and butterflies- the works. Then a cliffhanger season where in the premiere of the next season they are somehow forced to open up about how they feel about each other. Won’t happen that way but one can still act like they write for the show.

17. Tempie says:

I love the A&A duo!!! I’m afraid it might ruin the show – as so many others have in the past. But I think any wrench thrown at them will make their bond stronger.
    I agree with another viewer that they should have made one character gay. This will they won’t they crap gets old, plus a hot tv show like this could help gay media. It’s already clear at this point that neither are – but there’s still the chance of a Bi twist… Just sayin.
    Either way can’t wait for S3 … I miss them already!

18. Pam says:

I am an anti-shipper, however, I felt really bad for Annie. It sucks liking a guy who does not/can not like you back. When you are younger, it is because he goes to a different school or something like that. When you are older, it is because he is married or something more permanent so there is no hope. Yes, I just went through a situation like that so still a bit bitter. And then Albert Pujols leaves, too! :(

19. ChristineTV says:

I agree with you, Oded Fehr just automatically ups Piper Perabo’s game, by nature of his talent as an actor and their sizzling chemistry. I’m honestly surprised at myself, I generally go for the more obvious romantic pairings, and clearly Auggie and Annie would be a favorite of mine, under normal circumstances, but not with Oded Fehr in the picture!

20. Mo says:

I totally agree. I love Annie & Auggie as best friends. I didn’t see her wiping away tears and I didn’t even see it as her expressing her feelings for him. I like Auggie & Parker together, so… maybe Annie & Auggie in the (VERY) long run, but for now, she needs to focus on her career.

21. Kate says:

I am all for Annie and Auggie getting together. I am also for the whole aspect that they take their time and build it up. I did like how the ending went. It gave you disappointment, but you had to agree it made sense. I don’t find Parker ideal for Auggie. I felt it was only out of guilt because he lived while her brother died. Him and Annie are fresh and new and they learn from each other. And, to the contrary, I do want to see more from Jai’s side. Show us that he isn’t always a jerk. Have him build up with Annie and make as a possible love rival. That could really stir things up. Auggie and Jai fighting for Annie’s love? Could work. ;)

22. Dijea says:

I can see it unfold in my head, but I’m not putting it in these comments – I know I won’t get a writing credit! Ha.

I love the show no matter if they do or don’t get together. He probably will have an eye-opening moment, but it might be after she moves on.

23. pat allen says:

did these people not see the show. A&P had conversations about the future and its possibilities (not shown). she leaves, he has the eyes checked, gets bad news, is going to Africa to convey the reality of their possible life together, so she can make a choice. don’t know her response. he returns and life goes on. but the one solid remaining lite in his life is Annie. so the story will grow. now he will go for that “spin” in the car. they do belong together, but not quite yet.

• Gwynne Logan says:

I completely agree with you, Pat. Auggie has done so much that just screams out how much he cares about Annie IMO. Spending all night on a hard hospital bench to be sure she hasn’t been poisoned, rushing out of the office to the site of an explosion to be sure Annie is okay, giving her all his best advice and council, getting help to her whenever she needs it – all certainly says love to me. I, like so many of us, worry about the “Moonlighting” curse, but A + A seems like it has to happen at some point, and I don’t mean just the physical thing. Annie clearly doesn’t care that Auggie is blind; she knows how to live with his disability and does it without any fuss. I hope to see them realize their love before the end (may it be years away, yet.)

24. LC says:

Wow, it seems like the fandom is split pretty evenly on the prospect of A & A. I’m still not sure how I feel about them, but I love me some Annie and Eyal. They have incredible chemistry. Am I the only one who feels this way? :)

25. PJM says:

I originally wanted Annie and Auggie to get together, but now I’m not so sure. They seem to have better chemistry as friends (not unlike Penny and Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory), and I think Annie and Eyal have much better romantic between them. The episodes with Oded Fehr are the only guaranteed good eps on the show.

Definitely DON’T bring back Ben. Eion Bailey is a horrible actor.

26. Beth says:

I totally agree with you! I just dont feel any real chemistry between them. I personally am rooting for Eyal but then I have a crush on that character.

27. Plum says:

I don’t see Augie and Annie together anymore, they seem better friends. They’re not a Sydney/Vaughn or Mulder/Scully couple. They’re move Jayne/Lisbon; strictly amigos.

28. Patty says:

I love the interaction between Annie and Auggie, but I don´t think the should be together, at least not yet… I see them as Sydney and Will on Alias, been the friend who knows you are a spy, and with who eventually she hooked up, but then they returned to been friends.

29. Khadija says:

Annie & Aggie suit but maybe annie with jia.

30. ceo says:

i want auggie and annie together…but it should take time…dont rush things.

31. Ann De Vries says:

Eyal all the way. I don’t mind if they do the Auggie thing, but in terms of someone she would be great with: Eyal.
    Perabo’s chemistry with Fehr is off the charts.

32. sania black says:

One guy- one girl person here. Still rooting for ben and annie :( altho he has completely disappeared.