AMC's The Killing Gets Help From Mark Moses

Looks like The Killing is getting serious about solving Rosie Larsen’s murder. Desperate, even.

Mark Moses, well-known for playing Paul Young on ABC’s Housewives, is joining the AMC series in Season 2 for a major arc as Lt. Carlson, a new detective at the Seattle police department, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Mark Moses Nabs Fairly Legal Role

As TVLine previously reported, Lt. Carlson is described as a clean-cut and well-dressed lawman who keeps tabs on which way the political winds are blowing. He will help investigate Rosie’s death in at least eight episodes.

Moses’ casting on The Killing marks a reunion for the actor and AMC. He memorably played Peggy’s lover and account services head Herman “Duck” Phillips on Mad Men. Recently, he has guested on episodes of Covert Affairs and Criminal Minds.

Season 2 of The Killing will debut in the spring.

Comments (28)

• Won’t make a difference as this show is History and no one will watch Season 2 because of the way the Showrunner Pissed and Laughed at our faces and didn’t give us a conclusion after we watched this dull boring show expecting at least a resolution. Most of us would have stopped watching after the ridiculous unnecessary stay in the car for an hour its raining episode if we knew that there would be no definitive Season 1 ending.

Comment by Hershon – December 12, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Speak for yourself — I will definitely be watching. Cliffhanger season finales are no surprise to us who have been watching American television since… well, forever.

Comment by Simon Jester – December 12, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’re that upset over your supposed “mistreatment” at the hands of Veena Sud because she didn’t deliver the exact ending that you wanted her to, then she has every right to “piss and laugh in your face”…because you’re freaking HILARIOUS.

Comment by Blake – December 12, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A TV show can definitely conclude a season on a cliffhanger. Some of them can even be interesting and add some depth to a show, because the audience can then remember what happened in a different light. I won’t blame Veena Sud because she put a cliffhanger.

I blame her because she put a stupid cliffhanger that was actually the same thing she had done at the end of every other episode of the show, then made a pointless reveal, then didn’t notice a ton of continuity gaps the reveal created (the doctored photo at the bridge while the cop had actually really requested surveillance footage) or the fact that the guy they suspected would have walked 20 miles from the crime scene under the rain to get home but was described as “soaking wet, as if he had been in the water”.

I blame her because I would have cared, had the show put at least some emphasis on Rosie Larssen, instead of conveniently forgetting her and her friends after three episodes just to focus on the grieving parents. We almost never had a clue about her real personality or what made her special. She was just the McGuffin that’s the reason for the police investigation.

Even if the murder isn’t still solved, the show is now just a soap opera that plays under the rain. And it doesn’t get my Somali vote.

Comment by Dwigt – December 13, 2011 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that, I plan on finding out who the killer is online. My guess is Gwen, but I really don’t care at this point. I’m still pissed this show gets a second season, but Rubicon did not.

Comment by Corinne – December 12, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Sorry producers. Even “Paul Young” will not save you. I will not watch no matter what. Why would I? The whole episode we will watch how Mom will cry and listen to boring Politician. And then they will give us another cliffhanger with new killer and then in the next episode they will show us how stupid we were to believe that because that was not the killer.

Comment by Shy – December 13, 2011 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this doesn’t mean that the Rosie Larsen investigation doesn’t take at least another eight episodes to wrap up.

Comment by Dean – December 12, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see why there wouldn’t be an extra 8 episodes to solve the murder…the original Danish series took 20 episodes to solve the murder and folks generally vehemently expressing how much better it is than this American version…why would this be any different and “worse”?

Comment by bamalam – December 12, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess the Danes are more patient that I am, because I wasn’t too happy that they gave us that red herring ending. It’s not too much to expect resolution of a case in one season. It’s not so much the length as the sloooow pace of the show that I didn’t care for, and the fact that they didn’t resolve the story seemed cynical to me.

Comment by Cloudy Knight – December 12, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The question is really: if they had revealed the killer at the end of Season 1, would people tune in for Season 2? Or by holding that info for the second season, do they get better retention? No one ever said the killer would be revealed in the Season 1 finalé (though they didn’t say it wouldn’t be revealed, either). Seems to me if you liked the first season, you should at least give the second season a chance, and find out what happens after the killer is revealed.

Comment by CJ – December 12, 2011 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Danes ended series one with no clear end in sight.
          Veena Sud ended season one with a series of reveals about Darren Richmond who was arrested, then these reveals were shown as fake and there were mysteries introduced at the 11th hour to destroy the few elements we assumed we had on the investigation. And there was a murder attempt on Richmond. She overdid it.
          The big issue with the first season of the US remake is that the writers had no idea of who the killer actually was and didn’t want to decide anything. So, if the killer is revealed in season two, it will either be a completely new character or somebody who was already suspected then cleared, with lots of continuity issues in both cases.
          The writers were also wrong to assume that the show had legs strong enough outside of the investigation. But the political drama was some poor soap opera and the relationship between the parents had no development. It was just a series of acting reels for the Emmy Awards. The only element that was actually interesting to me was the interaction between the two cops. Then, Holder is revealed as being a liar. I almost could hear a sad trombone playing at the time.

Comment by Dwigt – December 13, 2011 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Cloudy Knight – “I guess the Danes are more patient that I am…”

Not difficult to believe. Most American viewers have the attention spans of goldfish. God forbid they should be asked to invest in a storyline that might *gasp!* not be tied up in a tidy bow in time for ‘sweeps.’

Comment by Simon Jester – December 13, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ever think dude that maybe we have better things to do with our time then watch an endless, boring, slow TV series with no ending. I feel sorry for you.

Comment by Phil Hersh – December 13, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kinda because the original was in one season, so even though it took twice as many episodes it still ran together. We have to wait a year Inbetween. Also, the original was just better in overall execution, so it wasn’t as painful to watch.

Comment by Jon – December 12, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Though it was technically one season, its not like all the episodes ran straight through. There was a break of 4 months between the first half of the season and the second half.

Comment by goat – December 12, 2011 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not one of those people who was left pissed off….
    So, I am looking forward to Season 2!

Comment by Elizabeth – December 12, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s a name for you guys: Suckers! They throw you a bone and you think its steak.

Comment by Phil Hersh – December 12, 2011 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t matter who they bring in to “jazz up” the cast, I won’t be tuning in. AND, I don’t care who killed Rosie Larsen anymore either.

Comment by Jon – December 12, 2011 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, see you. I mean honestly: who gives a f**k? The people who like the show will continue to watch it, those who don’t can gladly tune out. It’s more or less standard measure now that a show, no matter on cable or on network TV in the US will end their season with a cliffhanger in order to get the audience to tune in for the next season.

Comment by Damon – December 13, 2011 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No its not standing measure for a cable TV series to end a season on an unresolved cliffhanger that was about the end game of the whole series.
        Keep dreaming or do you work for Verna Sud?

Comment by Phil Hersh – December 13, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not tuning in for second season. And I don’t care they didn’t reveal the killer and that they finished the season with a cliffhanger. I like cliffhangers but The Killing’s was a sucky one.
    And I wouldn’t have minded their not revealing the killer if they had actually revealed ANYTHING. The show turned out to be a red herrings fest combined with a bunch of random storylines that eventually went nowhere.

Comment by Kingship – December 13, 2011 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually thought the cliffhanger was a brilliant twist, and will definitely be tuning in for series 2. The current cast is fantastic and that alone would keep me watching, regardless of the investigation.

Comment by Dizzle – December 13, 2011 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is your name Verna Sud or did she pay you to write this?

Comment by Phil Hersh – December 13, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dear god. Just cause we liked the cliffhanger we’re working for Veena Sud? Talk about being narrow-minded cause not everyone agrees with your opinion.

Comment by Damon – December 13, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeesh… what’s with all the bawling over a cliffhanger ending? Yes – the last episode was disappointing, and the cliffhanger felt tacked on at the last minute and unconnected to the rest of the story. I will agree, that part was lame. However, I COMPLETELY disagree that the rest of the series was dull or lackluster in any way… In fact, I’d go so far as to say that THE KILLING featured some of the best performances (and writing, at times) on television. If you are one of the CSI crowd who likes a neat and tidy resolution at the end of every episode, then you are going to HATE this series. Rosie’s murder sets the story in motion and is the impetus that drives the story along, but this show is about the CHARACTERS – and on that front it delivers in spades.

I wonder how many of you remember a television phenomenon from the nineties known as TWIN PEAKS. Show runner and creative genius David Lynch never really intended to solve the murder of Laura Palmer(THE KILLING owes alot to TWIN PEAKS), but was forced to provide resolution by ABC. Once the murderer was disclosed, the show died a slow painful death. David Lynch was right… the murder should have either never been explained, or at least it should have been put off until later in the series.

Comment by Leland Palmer – December 14, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one, will definitely be watching series 2, i think the cliffhanger has actually encouraged this. dying to find out who killed rosie and all u people who have watched the first series and moaning about not wanting to see the 2nd, i bet u will secretly be watching it, surely you want to find out who the killer is after ‘wasting your time’ watching series one.

Comment by sammy – January 12, 2012 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been waiting for ‘The Killing’ to return. I’m so glad to see it will becoming back 1 April. Having a cliffhanger does make us want to see the next ‘chapter’. Thank you for bringing Chapter 2 to us.

Comment by Sandi – January 15, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post