The X-Files' Scully Vs. Fringe's Olivia as 'Law-Enforcement Crushes' Round 3 Begins!

Round 3 of our Ultimate Female Law-Enforcement Crushes Bracket Tournament begins with a matchup that’s sure to induce headaches in fans of the sci-fi genre.

‘Law-Enforcement Crushes’ Round 2 Ends With Criminal Minds-Off, Intra-Nikita Showdown!

Indeed, we’ve got a tough battle for supremacy betweem The X Files‘ Dana Scully and Fringe‘s Olivia Dunham.

And, of course, in the single-elimination world of the TVLine Thunderdome, two crime-fighters will enter, but only one will leave!

Every afternoon over the next few weeks, in fact, we’ll launch another set of bouts that will test the strength of your character allegiances. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 3 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

Bones and Isles Geeks Clash, Unforgettable and SVU Stars Collide in ‘Law-Enforcement Crushes’

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering/fretting, we put a cap of two cast members per show, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

Also, if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

1. Carla says:

I watch both shows, like both of them, but… Scully is Scully and, imo, just that makes any argument invalid. She gets my vote.

2. Goody... says:

Bloody hell, guys. It’s just a poll…. Not a political race that will determine the fate of your country and your life.

I am a straight, well educated female. And I think Scully, in each and every way.. and yes, that includes looks and body, wins this one, hands down. I HAVE watched Fringe but, I obsessed, over The X Files. Made an appointment first, on Friday nights and then, on Sunday nights, to watch the show. In the off seasons, I missed these characters, speficically, Scully. Why? Because the characters were so magnetic and deeply flawed. I loved Scully.. and I adored Gillian Anderson. Both were incredibly flawed and both knew it but weren’t afraid to admit it. Scully not only set the bar (and did so extremely high) for the entire SciFi genre, she did it for most actresses on television today. I see Scully in so many of the actresses on television, in crime/law enforcement related series, that saying she laid the groundwork for these types of characters, is an understatement.

Scully, all the way. Absolutely. No doubt!

3. Sabrina says:

Respect.

Scully is an iconic character. Olivia Dunham is no where near that status. Maybe I will change my mind after a couple Fringe movies hit theatres.

4. Gaby says:

Olivia, I have no concept of you.

5. M says:

This is getting out of hand. Sci-Fi shows should help each other keep such an underrated genre on TV. It’s already hard enough out there for sci-fi programming without fandoms clashing with one another over the most inconsequential things. Both shows are brilliant, both shows are smart, one show ended perfectly, the other needs more love. Can’t we just go back to supporting a character without belittling the opposing show?

• Kaelity says:

^^ This. Just vote and stop being mean, both shows are really awesome and different in so many ways, just like these two woman. We should support boths, we want another season of Fringe and another X-Files movie so we should try to work together to have both and not criticizing, it’s just a poll people!

6. John says:

Scully gets my vote! She’s an icon, totally hot and with an amazing personality!

7. Lafra08 says:

I vote for Olivia!

8. PLEASE says:

lol

i laugh so hard when i read thet olivia is a strong character

she is NOT!

olivia falls in love with every male co-worker

she sleeps with every man ,she works with.

you olivia fans call that being strong, we on the other hand have another word for it………..

• Dunham says:

I guess you do not watch Fringe.

Fringe Olivia Dunham is tough, strong, caring, smart, kicks ass, knows how to use a gun, great human insight, warm.
      And she is the one with sensible shoes, sensible suit, no-nonse, and she does not worry about her hair.
      So she can run, fight and be a truly believable FBI agent

• 2shy says:

And Scully isn’t all of this? I mean, what is your point? You didn’t argument the points, but listed other characteristics. Does she sleep/fall in love with her male co-workers or not? No one didn’t say she couldn’t be what you listed and what PLEASE listed.

• Sam says:

Tough and strong? Maybe, but smart and warm? She’s an ice queen with very little personality and less intelligence.

He hair is her main obsession. Just having it that length and perfectly flat takes time, she colors it and she spends time doing elaborate braids.

• RKron says:

She’s slept with 2 people, both of whom she genuinely loves. And what does that have to do with strength? Isn’t that a bit sexist?

9. Sabrina says:

NO ONE like Scully. I’m so sorry. VOTE FOR DANA SCULLY!

10. Erin says:

DANA KATHERINE SCULLY. That is all.

11. PLEASE says:

oké, but your ignoring my comment.

does she or doesnt she flirt with every male co-worker?

the answer is yes, so SCULLY for the win

• Dunham says:

If you mean Olivia Dunham , NO she does not flirt, she would not even know how to do it.
      Not even her doppelganger does.

Watch Fringe, it is a sci-fi show , where Olivia Dunham investigates, kicks ass, fights, shoots and is not even remotely interested in how she looks as long as it is practical.
      Sad how Xfiles people need to bash in a nasty way Fringe and the wonderful Olivia Dunham and Anna Torv, even sadder that some of them claim to be a fan of Fringe.

12. Roneo says:

Before Fringe, Scully was my all times most beloved and admired hero and tv character and my obsesion with the X Files had never been surpassed by any other show. So, I, better than most, understand the conflict that this poll arises.
    But….Scully had her chance, the X Files lived for 10 season…..and right now Olivia needs me.
    These X-Files fans who do not appreciate Olivia, usually because they do not follow Fringe …. really, you should try. It’s AMAZING. And Olivia and Scully have a lot, lot, lot in common. And it’s speaking a die-hard x-files obsessed fan.

• 2shy says:

Why does Olivia need you? And you do realize that some X-Files fans do watch Fringe just like you?

• Roneo says:

I never said the contrary.
        Fringe now has problems with the audience, and anything (like one of its characters winning one of these surveys, for example) that helps keep the series is good.

13. Roneo says:

Although this has nothing to do with the quality of a character,the answer is no. To say otherwise is just a superficial view, and obviously do not understand the background of the show.

14. OneBreath says:

Huge X-Files fan here and yes I have watched some Fringe each season they have been on air so don’t talk to me about fair criticisms. As far as it goes, Olivia does not evoke the same emotions in me as Scully did, and I’m talking about crush-worthiness as well. Now if this were a Beckett/Scully contest…

• Polly says:

Scully will crush her like she did to those nurses on Kill Switch.
      Actually, Scully crushes every female from every crime TV Show character there is.

15. Xindilini says:

Forget who is better. It’s just a poll.
    Think about the tournament.
    Scully has a very real chance to win Round 4, 5 and 6.

16. Pipermaru says:

Scully!!!!!!

17. kds says:

Scully without any doubt!!!

18. kds says:

The XFILES are part of 20th century tv culture. Fringe is just a good show.

Said that… Scully is better!!!

19. evelyn says:

I watch both shows,all of them. Im sorry Gillian put a lot into her character not to mention the chemistry she has with her lead star. Anna the actress does not have that spark,sorry.

• Dunham says:

May be you should watch Fringe, Anna Torv not only puts alot in Olivia Dunham original, but also the current one and her alt version.
      That is 3 versions of a character created with depth.

And as far as I know chemistry you have between people, watch Olivia and Anna with every character she has chemistry.

Writing between the leads is different between both shows.

Whoever “wins” this poll, it is clear that the supposedly adult more grown fans of the xfiles showed their true face with how they insulted a great character Olivia Dunham and a great actress Anna Torv.

• 2shy says:

Well, I’m not going to argue if Olivia has chemistry with other people or not, but GA’s and DD’s is legendary. Every pair after them has been compared to them. By Mulder/Scully being on screen together for any amount of time, the episode/movie gets even better. Their interactions are always praised by both fans and critics.

• Sam says:

Anna Torv can’t hold a candle to Gillian, even if she played 10 characters in the same season. She doesn’t have enough spark or talent.

• NotFringe says:

Please, I’ve seen the first season of Fringe, and Torv has as much screen presence as a brick.

20. evelyn says:

I hope with a name you have ‘one breath’ if it was Beckett/Scully contest you will pick Scully.( I hope).

21. Kay says:

Olivia Dunham!

22. jack says:

Olivia! I think its sad how people are insulting Olivia and how Anna portrays her. Its just a poll, people. Please don’t bash other characters and tv shows. Haters to the left.

23. Jen says:

My vote is for Olivia, and I hope she Dunhams the poll! And I want to give a thumbs up to the comment early on (before all the ridiculous junior high banter) that referred to Bolivia’s cargo pants “Kim Possible pants”. Hilarious!

24. AngelMoonGirl says:

Oh, Anna Torv, definitely! Because not only does she play Olivia Dunham, but, like, ten other versions of the character as well. It’s freaking amazing and I’m wondering just why she hasn’t gotten an Emmy yet!

25. Gaby says:

GO SCULLY!
    Running in heels since 1993 like a boss.
    HOT.

26. Tallulah says:

Oh come off it, that’s just freaking evil.

27. Lynn says:

Although I prefer Fringe over The X-Files, Scully was the main reason I tuned in to watch her show, while Olivia is the reason I’ve almost tuned out from hers several times. It is not about who was first or if one owes her role to the other, it’s about appeal and Scully wins by a landslide.

• Dunham says:

Fringe for me is made by Olivia Dunham, a groundbreaking female character, and Anna Torv, a brilliant actress.
      Many others watch Fringe for that as well, so appeal is a matter of opinion and taste.

• Lynn says:

Of course, it’s a matter of opinion. Who says otherwise? I’ve stated mine. Fringe for me is made of many wonderful things, none of them is Olivia. A bunch of my friends stopped watching Fringe, because they couldn’t stand the character or Anna Torv’s poor acting. That’s why Scully wins for me.

• Dunham says:

to Lynn:
          I guess you and your friends can be missed as Fringe fans, as you cannot see great acting when you see it.
          Anna Torv is a brilliant actress, and most critics agree.

• 2shy says:

Or she may not be as good as you think. And maybe if she is, doesn’t mean they have to like her method of acting. I believe Brad Pitt can act–some say he sucks. All a matter of opinion, but it can be influenced by other factors as well. I determine ability of acting by how authentic the character is being portrayed. Perhaps she just doesn’t do it for some like Fringe fans claim with GA.

• Lynn says:

Can we? Are you sure seeing how the ratings are going? She’s not a bad actress. She was, but she improved after a while. Still not good enough. Just because she went from zero to do a decent job doesn’t she’s Emmy material. Critics agree? We are all critics nowadays it seems.

• colossus says:

I love Fringe and Olivia Dunham is my favorite by far. I think Anna Torv is exceptional and so is Mr. John Noble. Just my 2 cents.

28. Alex says:

I don’t watch either show so both of the fan bases can expect a pretty unbiased opinion here but I don’t think that’s an extremely attractive picture of Scully. BUT I went on to see clips of the shows on youtube and I changed my mind about Scully after that. I voted once for each. :)

29. PLEASE says:

does poor, poor anna torv fans.

welcome to reality.

those obsessed olivia fans have gone so far, that when even anna gives a interview or blinks , here fans start screaming give her an emmy!!!

but you see, when you start to compare those two (scully/olivia) the truth cant be denied.
    scully is just the best, she had a screen presence, charisma, AND she didnt have to jump in bed with every male co-worker.
    even when david has left the show , gillian has kept the show in the air for seasons to come.

anna is the lead in fringe, so she is responsible for the shows ratings. but as you noticed , she failed big time. the show was always on the bubble and it will get canceled after the 4the season.

its funny: when those crazy olivia fans talk about fringe , they always say that olivia is the lead and she is the star of the show.

but from the moment that you start about the ratings and you blame anna for the bad viewership, those exact same fans, say that anna/olivia is not to blame, because fringe stars other actors and storylines.
    oh, now it is ABOUT the show and not about olivia alone , how convenient!!!

after more of a decade everybody still remembers Scully, but guess who will remember olivia in a decade?
    nobody, just those obsessed, delusional fans.

i rest my case.

• panda says:

What an absurd rant lol.

• Lynn says:

I would never blame or thank an actress/actor for the ratings, no matter how much screentime and importance they get, particularly when it comes to a serialized science fiction show.

I agree that Scully could wipe the floor with Olivia and most female characters out there, but this is a matter of opinion. I don’t get why you say that about Torv’s fans. Fandoms work like that, they claim Emmys for their idols, no matter how undeservedly, and they fawn at their every word, this not exclusive of Fringe. I don’t get why this is an issue.

• claramj says:

You know you seem to have a problem PLEASE your calling fans of Olivia/Anna crazy but what you keep saying about her and your favorite Scully sounds really crazy.

I used to be a fan of Scully, and more importantly Gillian Anderson, but I didn’t stay a fan because the woman became way too full of herself as an actress, hell she moved to England and started talking with a British accent when she was born in Chicago spent some time in the UK till she was about 9 then she was in Grand Rapids Michigan.

And she never spoke with a British accent while on The X Files in interviews, but then after she moved to the UK she still would speaks American English when interviewed here in America, but speak with a thick kinda snooty British accent (which is just creepy)while in the UK.

Its bad enough when Madonna does it, but at least with her its not a big surprise that she would do something crazy, but I thought Gillian was more normal, but she isn’t,and she acts kinda crazy in interviews too.

And as far as the Scully character she was kinda cartoonish she was too un-sexual to be real,most of the time she acted like a robot the show was on for 9 years and she was still a skeptic even at the end of the show, thats both stupid and un-real.

Oh another reason I am no longer a big Gillian or Scully fan is because I have seen the few movies she has done sense the show ended, and she acts the same in all of them.
      Though theres only a few, and their all small roles because well she thinks she’s some kind of special actress or something and wont do mainstream movies.

She mostly does British made Indi films and the Theater meaning stage shows and only in again the UK, she has snubbed all her American fans.

She says she has never liked doing TV, she thinks she’s too good for it is why, she says that TV is for when your just starting out or ending your career, which means she thinks actors/actress who does TV aren’t as good as she is or she is better then them.

Now of course you fanatic fans here will say I am lying but hey I know I am right I was a fan sense The X Files first came out, and I loved the show until after the 5th season by then it had gotten silly.

And I never like their mythology it bored me to death, and they never even bothered to really end it right, they left everything up in air, and in the 9 years it was on it couldn’t seem to figure out what the mythology was about in the first place, sometimes it seemed to be about god then back to aliens then back to god again, especially when it was about something to do with Scully, it was always about god in some way, then again it would go back to aliens, and it ended with no answers, by the end I wasn’t really a fan anymore of the show, it took a few more years with Gillian/Scully but was more Gillian the actress that really bothered me in the end, I don’t care for crazy sorry!

Now as far as Fringe goes, I started watching because I wanted a new Scifi show to watch with my other favorite show Stargate SG1 going off too I needed one.

But at first I was afraid of it even because I thought it might do what The X Files did namely being un-real and annoying to watch.

But unlike it Fringe makes sense, if you understand physics oh and if you have read anything by Einstein, you do have to be smart to watch it, with The X Files not so much, THAT is why it stayed on TV for 9 years, it had so many stand alone shows that never had anything to do with the Mythology that it was easy to follow at times, except the Mythology.

Fringes Mythology and its stand alone shows are all connected you must watch each show to understand the whole thing, you no doubt haven’t watch much if any of it, or your just so blinded by your crazy obsession over Scully/Gillian and the X Files that you won’t give the show or Olivia/Anna a chance, you know there is room for everyone.

You using all this so called logic about how fans of Olivia/Anna will say shes the star of the show, but say she not at fault for the ratings being bad, but what is the logic in you putting down the fans of Olivia/Anna and Fringe and the character of Olivia?

Why logically does it matter to you?I think you need to grow up, I am sure that allot of the fans here of Fringe and Olivia/Anna are young, and many may not even have watched much of The X Files if any, so cut them some slack and let them like who or what they want to like!

• Daniel says:

Thank you for making sense! I am young, but I saw 4 seasons of X-Files to see what the hoopla is about. But it is just not my cup of tea, while Fringe is brilliant and endearing. Olivia and John Noble, and Joshua make the show’s faces, but the real heroes are the writers who have their sensibilities and write with their heart, even in the sci-fi setting. Anna Torv is always gracious and enchanting, while Gillian comes across as a snob. Her latest role in “Johnny English Reborn” sucked. How anybody could say this Scully character was crushable is incomprehensible. She bored me with her ‘scting’.

• Jones says:

For that, I have to ask – Who is Scully! Never heard of her.

30. jack says:

Okay I’m sorry but this rant is just uncalled for and rude. It’s not Anna’s fault the ratings are slipping. It’s because people can’t handle the storylines. They are smart enough, really. If you go online and research fringe, you will see all the praise it has gotten from critics for their 2nd, 3rd, and ongoing season. Yes, the first season was shaky, but it still got good reviews. Aren’t all first seasons a little shaky? However, you will also find TONS of critics and people wanting Anna Torv and other actors on the show to have an Emmy. Have you even SEEN the show? If you have, did you watch it with an open mind? Not one that thought it would be bad because the X Files will always be number one? For crying out loud.

Fringe fans are only trying to help Olivia win the poll here, because we need all the help we can get. Any kind of poll can help us here. We’re just tying to show Fox that we are here.

And on a side note, stop saying Olivia slept with all her partners. She didn’t sleep with Charlie. She hasn’t slept with Lincoln. She has only slept with John (whom she loved and was to marry) and Peter, who is her destined lover on the show. If you actually would watch the show, then you wouldn’t be able to make these comments.

I am pleading with you X Files fans, please just give Fringe a try. We don’t want to start a war here. We just want our show to succeed. It deserves it. And if you do, please watch with an open mind.

• 2shy says:

But, some Fringe Fans are alienating X-Files fans. I’m more than willing to give the show a try, I just don’t like what some of the fans are saying. But, I will say that it is insulting that you believe that the ratings slipped because it was “difficult” for fans to understand. As many forums as I spend time on, all I see are fans dissecting shows and looking for clues and hints. Not in an insulting way, but could it either be that the writing isn’t as strong as you think or that the fans do understand and are no longer interested?

• NotFringe says:

But I hate to break it to you: winning this poll will do absolutely nothing to help the show in the ratings. This tournament is more like “battle of the fandoms.”

• PLEASE says:

i dont want to stop saying that olivia tends to sleep with her male co-wokers, because it’s the truth.

she didnt sleep with charlie , because she was sleeping with scott at the time.
      and by the time she stopped greefing on the dead of scott, charlie was dead.

so she missed her change by this much………..LOL!

but dont be fooled, had charlie lived than he would have dunhamed, if you catch my drift.

than she shifted to peter and slept with him. suprise , suprise so did her doppelganger. maybe they are not so different from each other after all.

than when peter stopped existing, she turned to lincon.
      she started flirting with him, but she didnt sleep with him YET, after all we are just on the 7 episode, so she has plenty of time to show him her skills in bed.

so i watch fringe, but still i vote for scully and you wonder why?

31. NoFringe says:

Exactly this!
    You can’t blame the ratings on the actors, though they do factor but not entirely on them! You know nothing of fandom and ratings.

32. JM says:

jack i loved your sensible,kind and overall accurate post.there are more than enough ridiculous,juvenile and hateful comments here

33. jack says:

There are obviously fans, like myself, who dissect every little thing on the show. The problem is, there just aren’t enough. The fans who like to create theories are loving this current seaoson and past seasons. I think with Fringe, you’re either all in or all out. You can’t really be in between. You’re either a die-hard fan or you’re not. People choose to drop the show because of the complicated storylines, and that saddens me.

I firmly firmly believe that this shows writing is fantastic. Fringe may be labeled as a sci-fi show, but it also focuses heavily on people and relationships and emotions. The relationships in the show are my favorite part, honestly. The father/son relationship between Peter and Walter is so well-handled. The romantic relationship between the Peter and Olivia is such a fantastic storyline. They are always pulled apart, but yet they find there way back to each other. Even the friendship betweem Astrid and Walter is great. Fringe has not only great action and science fiction, but they also tell heart-wrenching, phenomenal stories. Ultimately, Fringe is about how far you would go to save someone you love.

On behalf of all Fringe fans, I am truly sorry if X-Philes are feeling alienated by us. Really, I am. We had absolutely no intention of doing so. Bottom line is; we’re just trying to save our show.

34. jack says:

35. jack says:

Oops, sorry my comment posted twice :P and my comment was in response to 2shy.

36. Heather says:

I watch Fringe & X-Files, but come on – Scully deserves to win. Enough said.

37. JW says:

PLEASE ADD ONE VOTE FOR SCULLY! I only have an ipod (no computer), and the voting feature does not seem to work on mobile devices. :(

Scully has been crushable for nearly two decades now. While I think Anna Torv is fantastic in Fringe, Scully is still
    my #1 in terms of character and crushability.

38. Dammed says:

In the beginning was Dana Scully (a goddess) … then came the other ordinary mortals.

SCULLY RULES!! (^_^)

39. Mónica says:

y simplemente cobramos nuestro primer lugar!! como siempre Scully la Nº 1, la mejor “Imitada, jamás igualada”… :) van mis votos para ti

40. Per Manum says:

Scully: “Imitated, never equaled” I’m Sorry so much FRINGE!

41. Duhah says:

People! This is not a poll about who is the greater icon or about the actresses themselves; this poll is about which FICTIONAL character you most likely are crushing on. Read!

42. jack says:

We must be watching a differnet show. Because you obviously haven’t gotten the concept of the show. Your comments are so hateful and insulting. Please take them somewhere else.

43. Katie says:

Hey, I just wanna say on behalf of most X-Philes, that I think Fringe is a great show and I have considered watching it because I’ve been lead to believe it was XF inspired. I haven’t watched it yet, but I do plan to. It’s sad that these comments have gotten so argumentative. Especially because with shows like X-Files and Fringe, the fandom is generally considered to be smart and well-educated. I think both shows have great things to offer and that we should appreciate each for what it is. I agree with an earlier comment that us SciFi fans should stick together. Anyway, I have a girl-crush on Scully so Scully has my vote, but it’s all a matter of opinion!

44. jay says:

Oh please watch, Katie! You won’t regret it, I promise you that. Fringr returns on January 13th at 9/8c :D

45. Scott says:

To be fair, both need the votes. X-files fans are trying to get a third movie and fringe fans are having viewer problems..
    Sorry Fringe, big fan, but Scully for me.

46. J.d. says:

I’m glad Scully won. She’s part of TV history and one of the most beautiful characters I’ve ever seen – inside and out!

47. claramj says:

I used to be a big fan of Scully, but once I saw Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham it was like Scully who? so I am not happy with the people choice here, and I think they should have left out characters from old shows, I mean its been awhile sense The X Files was on, now that Olivia is out of the race I would choose one of the following JJ from Criminal Minds or Ziva from NCIS or even Emily from Criminal Minds too, I say down with Scully, all of those other woman are better then her, Olivia will always be my favorite though, but I do like Abby too on NCIS but I wouldn’t pick her for this sorry!

48. Mike says:

Dana Katherine Scully!!! One of the most beautifully written and acted female tv characters ever! 18 years since the series premiere and nearly a decade since the series finale and she’s still here, what more can we say?