The X-Files' Scully Vs. Fringe's Olivia as 'Law-Enforcement Crushes' Round 3 Begins!

Round 3 of our Ultimate Female Law-Enforcement Crushes Bracket Tournament begins with a matchup that’s sure to induce headaches in fans of the sci-fi genre.

‘Law-Enforcement Crushes’ Round 2 Ends With Criminal Minds-Off, Intra-Nikita Showdown!

Indeed, we’ve got a tough battle for supremacy betweem The X Files‘ Dana Scully and Fringe‘s Olivia Dunham.

And, of course, in the single-elimination world of the TVLine Thunderdome, two crime-fighters will enter, but only one will leave!

Every afternoon over the next few weeks, in fact, we’ll launch another set of bouts that will test the strength of your character allegiances. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 3 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

Bones and Isles Geeks Clash, Unforgettable and SVU Stars Collide in ‘Law-Enforcement Crushes’

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering/fretting, we put a cap of two cast members per show, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

Also, if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

1. Melissa says:

I vote Scully!!!

2. AM says:

I am going to have to go Scully on this one folks.

3. Jen says:

X-Files is the reason shows like Supernatural and Fringe were allowed to be introduced to the public for consumption. Gillian Anderson is HOT (especially in the later seasons!!!). As much as I love Frige, I’ve got to go with Scully on this one.

4. mary says:

What would the world be like without Dana Scully? Scully all the way!!!

She is beautiful inside and out.

5. Niki says:

There’s no question. Fringe is just a bad knock off of The X-Files. And Scully is my hero.

6. Jaclyn says:

Gillian Anderson…the woman every guy wanted to be with and every woman wanted to look like during the 90s. The most beautiful, and well developed female character portrayed on television EVER. Gillian played her so convincingly she pretty much separated Agent Scully from herself. As a devoted fan of the show I still find it hard to believe she isn’t still out there somewhere. And though I do enjoy Gillian the actress it causes great confusion to my senses at times to see her in other roles,especially as a blonde! lol so yeah SCULLY FOREVER!

• Brad says:

Yeah, see its a 90’s thing. Its old, and so is she. Olivia will always be hotter and more awesome than Scully ever was!

• 2shy says:

You do realize that everything ages, including Olivia?

• Lorraine says:

God!! not another moron… Did you ever realized that without X-Files you wouldn’t have ever seen Fringe?? Or your remaining neurone hasn’t made sinapsis yet?

• James says:

Not really true. Abrams would have created all his brilliant shows somehow even without The X-Files and it would be as, if not more popular as they are now. He is a genius. I love Scully & Olivia, but have to agree that Olivia is more crushable.

• 2shy says:

Explain to me how the X-Files existing diminishes Fringe’s popularity. It should actually work in their favor rather than against. I haven’t met one person who said they won’t watch the show because the X-Files exists, but rather, gave it a chance based on that. Tell me why the first season of Fringe has higher ratings than the following seasons. When the X-Files was out they either peaked in season 4, which Fringe is in now, or season 5.

• James says:

Read it again, I never said it hurt the show. I said “ABRAMS WOULD HAVE CREATED THE SHOWS EVEN WITHOUT X-FILES AND IT WOULD STILL BE POPULAR”. You can’t read or something? You’re taking this somewhere else.
            The network is what is hurting the show. They moved it from a slot which had 8-12 million fans, to a Friday death slot so early on and erratic scheduling didn’t help its cause either. Again, why are you constantly talking about the show, rather than telling whether you would jump Scully or Olivia! lol!

• 2shy says:

James, considering that just about every show he has is inspired by the X-Files in some way, your point is invalid. Even Alias had X-Files overtones. I don’t see how they could be more popular if you take out one of the inspirations. Also, just so you know, the friday night dead slot has been around since the 70/80’s and the X-Files was originally there and still excelled before being moved<–another invalid point.

But, Scully is more crushable to answer your question.

• James says:

No. JJ Abrams real inspirations were Steven Spielberg and all those 60’s, 70’s, 80’s sci-fi and adventure movies – so you have the invalid point there. Death slot in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s weren’t anywhere near as competitive as it is now. Olivia > Scully!

• 2shy says:

Excuses, excuses. Explain to me why it took so long for JJ take make the series. Whether or not his real inspirations came from SS, he still was inspired by TXF in some way. Not only that, a death slot is a slot. FOX and co. was so sure the X-Files wasn’t going to make it that they gave them half a season, in which they’ve had 9 seasons, two movies, multiple games, action figures, books/essays/comics written on and about them, and so on. Point being, a show can defy the odds. Just explain to me why Fringe’s ratings are decreasing rather than increasing.

7. Tocarra says:

Sorry Fringe fans, but without a Dana Scully there would be no Olivia Dunham. Simple as that.

8. Lindsay says:

Scully all the way!!!!! There is NO doubt about that. Yes the others are good but I won’t spend my money to buy the seasons like I would for The X-Files.

9. Serenyty says:

Scully; absolutely 100% no contest at all. She’s beautiful, intelligent, strong, and all around a great character.

10. tahina says:

Scully forever!!

11. srsly it's time to let new leads shine says:

omg why is Dana even relevant. That show ended almost a decade ago.

12. obtrdcta says:

Dana Scully transcends time, genre, and expectations.

13. Alicia says:

Scully rocks! Gillian Anderson is a pretty lady.

14. Olivia says:

SCULLY!

15. goody says:

Um…because, Dana never existed, neither would your Fringe girl. Dana Scully set the standard….and the bar…

16. Janelle says:

Olivia Dunham! Come on fringies, we gotta win this!

17. RKron says:

I would have thought that most X-Files fans could appreciate Fringe being on, but apparently not. The two shows are similar, but also very different especially after establishing that Fringe deals with science while the X-Files deals with the paranormal. The characters are different, the story is different, so I don’t see why people are being so reductive when they say Fringe is a knock-off of the X-Files. If you think Gillian is more crushable than Anna, that’s fine, but Fringe has become a critically adored show by its own right.

• Amy says:

So well said. Apparently some X-Files fans did not watch the show completely, have never watched Fringe or just cannot seem to get the fact that these shows are very different in so many ways. Their argument has no merit and sounds like a broken record. You’d hope they would have something constructive to say, but this is all they have. I watched X-Files (loved it), watching Fringe now and can totally see the difference in both shows. Sad that “some” can’t.

• Brad says:

Exactly! X-Files was good for its time, but compared to Fringe, it sucks! And Gillian is nowhere near as crush worthy as Anna. They both wear man pants or whatever, but Anna is just too hot in them.

• JM says:

yes i agree brad,anna is too hot in the man pants,especially as fauxlivia :)

• 2shy says:

Now that is blasphemous. “It was good for it’s time”, the X-Files does laps around Fringe all day and still doesn’t get tiresome. While Fringe’s ratings have been decreasing by the fourth season, the X-Files increased. Gillian is totally crush worthy and with reason. TXF has inspired and continues to inspire many shows, characters, and everyday people. Tell me how many people have written Anna about helping them get through cancer–NONE! No one can relate to an alternate reality. Gillian got respect from not only fans and critics, but awards ceremonies as well. Considering how Sci-Fi does at awards and to have her get an Emmy makes your argument invalid.

• Jess says:

Um, that’s because there wasn’t much of a challenge to X-Files from other network shows. It was the only one of its kind when it started. Aliens and stuff. Imo, both are awesome. But Anna really does deserve some Emmy love. She’s fantastic and is like Scully in so many ways, but better.

• Jess says:

Oh and also, not many strong female characters who stood out from the norm back in the day. So, keeping in mind all that, I think Olivia is much more awesome and crushable.

• 2shy says:

Here’s the difference between GA and AT–GA made the Emmy committee nominate her through performance. They couldn’t deny her talent. Not saying that AT doesn’t deserve love, but that GA was undeniably better. The argument of not having many strong women isn’t grounds for why Scully is better, in my opinion at least. Or that it was one of kind for it’s day, that actually re-enforces my argument. The fact the viewers were willing to embrace a strong, intelligent female in a show about the paranormal speaks volumes. They could have easily have failed as the succeeded, but they didn’t. One of the reasons Fringe has succeeded is in part due to Scully and the X-Files. Viewers saw that something like that could succeed. Not only that, they still have competition in a general since. They didn’t succeed primarily for being one of a kind. And again, Sci-Fi doesn’t get the respect, so…you can like Olivia, but don’t try to undermine another show to prove your point.

• RKron says:

Okay, I’m going to deconstruct your comment here. You first start out with an opinion, which I will not argue over because you are entitled to think one show is better than another (so long as you actually watch both shows). Secondly, ratings have nothing to do with a show’s quality. Most of America watches 2 and a Half Men and Glee, does that mean these two shows are the top tier that all other shows should strive to be? Gawd no! Next you move on to the show, not the person. The X-Files may be inspiring, and Fringe creators have admitted that The X-Files as ONE of the shows that inspired them, but what does this have to do with crush-worthiness? Finally, Anna may not have been written with cancer, but that still has nothing to do with being crushable!

• panda says:

Excellent point RKron.

• Cortexifan says:

Totally agree with you RKron, Amy, Jess and Brad. Fringe & Olivia ftw.

• 2shy says:

Rkron, I understand your point, but read the conversation and see that that wasn’t my immediate response. What was I responding to? Find that out first before you comment on what I say. Then onto the show, if you’ve read the whole thread, fans have been saying that the X-Files existence has no bearing on Fringe’s existence, which as you have commented is false. Did I say that she show sucked? No. Let me see you respond to the other people saying Olivia is better than Scully because she was in two realities–how is that crush-worthy? The reason Scully having cancer and fighting through it makes her crush worthy personality wise, because crush doesn’t always pertain to looks, is that it shows she’s not a quitter and will fight to the end. But, even without rating (not necessarily comparing Fringe)The X-Files was still a quality show. It wrote the character as adults with flaws and not sexualized to get viewers and asked difficult question–well written most importantly.

• James says:

Fringe asks even more difficult questions, never sexualized its characters either. Yes, you have said the show and the lead character sucked, in your own way in other comments. Watch the season 2 episode – “PETER” – one of the best episodes in sci-fi history. And if you want, watch episode 7 in season 4 – “Wallflower” – I really recommend this since it doesn’t deal with the main arc, per se. A nobody, a common man who has no bearing on any of the main characters will make you cry your heart out. That’s the complexity of the writing on the show which makes you fall in love with, relate to and be compassionate towards all of its characters.

PS: “The most beautiful” scene. Dammmit, that really made me tear up and I don’t do tears!!

• 2shy says:

James, don’t put words in my mouth. We can agree to disagree on which show is better and asks more difficult questions. But, my response is in response to someone trying to undermine that X-Files’ impact. I started watching the show after it was canceled, so that point is invalid–not yours, but the other person’s.

• Jolie says:

I’m an hardcore Phile and I like Fringe. I can see the similarities and the differences between the two shows. Dana Scully is still so relevant. Although I really like Ms. Dunham, she hasn’t reached Dana Scully material yet. So yeah, I vote Scully. But I hope Fringe lasts many years.

• Mcat says:

It works both ways, bud. There are many Fringe fans who are commenting who are dismissing The X-Files outright because it is “old” and “ended a decade ago”. Seems neither group can appreciate the other. I am a huge fan of both shows; I adore both Scully and Olivia, but in my opinion, Scully set the standard and the bar. She will always be my favourite female TV character.

18. Jon says:

Yea…Scully set the standard, but X-Files got enough recognition and then some. So, I’m going with Olivia and my Fringe world.

19. Shmallows says:

It doesn’t matter who came first or who set what standard. Scully is better. Enough said.

20. Hope says:

Absolutely Olivia from Fringe!!!

21. Sam says:

Scully in every single way. Beauty, smarts, courage, you name it. I will always love Gillian Anderson for her wonderful portrayal of Dana Scully.

22. Amy says:

It’s Anna for me. From playing the two versions of Olivia, to the William Bell persona, she has rocked Fringe and got better and better as each season has gone on. She’s an amazing actress and the reason I make a point to watch Fringe live each week they have new episodes.

23. AUST says:

Scully all the way. The X-files is an epic show and the characters of both Scully and Mulder are amazing and great fun to watch.

24. leanne says:

Scully was just purely awesome. No contest, really.

25. Hanna says:

I still love Scully but Olivia gets my vote for this round.

26. Rob says:

Scully > every other character on TV. A very complex character, beautifully played by Gillian Anderson, who is a fantastic, if underrated actress. No contest, really.

27. Kuk says:

Scully is frekkin hot. How anyone fails to see that is beyond my comprehension. Besides, she’s also one of the most multidimensional characters that has ever graced our TV screens. So, yeah, I’d take Scully any day of the week, all day long. Easily.

28. William says:

Scully! Xfiles for life!

33. Kurt says:

Hmm. Have to go with Scully on this one

34. Kurt says:

Scully scully

35. Kaitlyn says:

I actually went to the same High School as Anna Torv (she’s class of ’96 and I’m class of ’10 however.) I should be rooting for her. I love her, Liv and Alt Liv, and Fringe is awesome but… I voted for Scully. I just… she’s my favourite. I’m sorry :'(

36. Dro says:

Scully!!!!! She is the best, she is the first, she is redhead, she is beautiful, she is EVERYTHING.

37. panda says:

Seriously some of you need to relax.Lay off the hostility.

38. Jen says:

Scully is the REASON Olivia’s show exists! This shouldn’t be such a close call! And this coming from a Fringe fan!

• Dunham says:

I guess you are not a Fringe fan, otherwise you would have voted for the show you watch and a character you still can se every Friday night.

Olivia Dunham owes nothing to Scully, completely different characters, the only thing in common is being an FBI agent, well there have been others before Scully.

Olivia Dunham (and amazing Anna Torv ) is setting new standards.

39. Kytivafan says:

Scully was my first girl crush. Gotta go with Scully for old times sake, even thought I really like Olivia too.

40. unremarkable says:

Sculllayyyyy!

41. Zepp says:

Certainly who will win this poll will be Dana Scully, with all the merits. She is an icon of science fiction, is a “Cult” Globally, beautiful, talented, super-stylish, with a look of “warm hearts” is the Scully, our muse forever. But since I am a fan of Fringe, I must be very happy and proud with the performance, in this poll, our beloved and wonderful Olivia Dunham. She, with her natural beauty and elegance, marked its presence here with great distinction and brilliance, making our hearts of fans, exploding, vibrate with great pride and passion.

Bravo Scully, and also, Bravo Olivia!

42. Paula says:

Yes, they are similar, but remember who was the first. Dana Scully is the character that inspired Olvia, without her there would be no Olivia at all.

43. matt says:

Scully gets my vote

44. Gold says:

I agree with panda, chill down, people. Just enjoy the fact that there’s so much love for these strong and beautiful female characters. They’re both awesome, but in my book, no one can compare with Scully. She’s brilliant like no other!

45. Paula says:

“Sometimes looking for extreme possibilities makes you blind to the probable explanation right in front of you.”

Scully is an icon, she’s a strong woman, sensitive, loyal, complex, a woman with temper, a fighter, a characer who would go far and beyond for friends and family, she’s not perfect but that woman taught me more than only those who watched the show can fathom.
    And if we talk about beautiful, there is no freaking question that Dana Scully can take your breath away at any time, with every movement or microexpression she makes.

The writers made her wonderful, and Gillian Anderson made her unique.

“All lies lead to the truth.”

And the truth (in this topic) is, that Dana Scully is the best female character ever created.

When I watched a few episodes of Fringe. I could only get one emotion from Olivia: insignificance. Gasping at everything on your way really doesn’t make a character that good. Plus, her face is just annoying.

I don’t care who wins, because this is just basically a poll, I just wanted to make a point… fans vs fans… I know for sure there are more X-Philes out there than whatever they call them fans of Fringe.

• Dunham says:

Your insult just proves you have not watched Fringe.

And to quote Anna Torv “Beauty is a matter of attitude, your own or of the other”

• Paula says:

I have no interest in copycats, it just bored me just as mas as that quote. :)

• panda says:

I agree Dunham but eventually you kind of just have to realize that posters like paula are not worth bothering with.Their arguments are invalid and you can’t correct people who don’t think they’re wrong.

46. Cortexifan says:

Well if you had stuck around after a few episodes, you would have found that Olivia is much more complex than what you are blabbering about. She’s all that Scully was and more. X-Files was a conspiracy show. Of course it got more fans, because that’s all anybody does – speculate whether aliens exist amidst us or not. Hell, LOST was the X-Files of last decade. It was much better than X-Files. X-Files was a product of its time which came across as relevant because of all the secrecy of the US govt.
    What Scully did for you, I respect that. But you can’t diss on Anna’s Olivia. Watch all three seasons (now 4th running) and get back to us.
    PS: This poll is about who is hotter & how much we want hook up with the characters, not to hold hands and cry. Plain & Simple!

• Cortexifan says:

This reply was for Paula.

• Paula says:

Yeah, I bet she was more complex and entertaining, yadda yadda yadda. I got bored reading your comment.
        I said Scully is way more beautiful than plain annoying face. So I think I made that point clear.
        If you’re really as sure as I am about the characters and the shows, then I leave you to it. I really don’t care. Now I’m gonna go and hold hands with my fellow fans.

• 2shy says:

Superficially speaking, Scully is hotter, especially based on the picture they posted in comparison with Olivia.

Also, the X-Files was more than about aliens–clearly, if you did watch the show, it wasn’t for long. Actually, there are fans of Fringe who have watched all four seasons and still believe Scully is better physically and mentally.

47. Indiana Mulder says:

Scully gets my vote, but I’m biased!

48. 2shy says:

Ok, I know I’ve been butting heads with people and saying some underhanded things. But, people make up your minds: what criteria do we base on being crush worthy? One person says the other one is hotter, and then someone points out one of the characters actions and personality traits. Another person says the character is admirable and intelligent and so on, so the other person says this poll is based on looks. Which is it? Personally, it is both for me, but I can understand why it may be one over the other for some.

Looks: Scully
    Personality/Intelligence/Work ethic/Deeds: Scully

We should be at least consistent on our criteria of what is considered crush-worthy.

I can admit when someone looks better than another person. If this was Beckett, Benson, Ziva, or some other person, I would say crush-worthy. But, based on the posted picture in this poll, Olivia’s picture is very unflattering in that is the only one we are to go by. Not to say she is ugly, because she isn’t, but in comparison, Scully looks better.

• James says:

You do know there is GOOGLE right?
      If not: ANNA TORV – http://www.hairstylesnew2012.tk/resimler/anna-torv-2011-hair-styles-1.jpg

Looks: Olivia.
      Personality/Intelligence/Work ethic/Deeds: Olivia

• Gaby says:

Really? Geez.
        You REALLY should google Gillian Anderson then.

• 2shy says:

James, re-read my post, I said “based on the picture in this poll” meaning I knew other ones existed, but on this specific picture, there is no contest. Actually, I did google her and came to the same conclusion. Personally, I just think Scully looks better.

• James says:

Still don’t think she is beautiful. I have seen a whole season of X-Files btw.

• 2shy says:

Just the season or the series? For certain people it depends. But, even then you’ll say the same thing. lol

• James says:

I;m sure I will. haha. I watched the very first season. I was too young to even think about watching X-Files back when it ended. Watched season last year and got a bit bored. Ditched it around 20th episode, I think.

• 2shy says:

That’s the point–you watched the first season. Comparing the conservative fashion of both era’s, the 90’s look bad in comparison. But, that doesn’t make Scully any less stunning. As the series progresses, she looks more and more beautiful. I believe you are biased by Fringe goggles as far as looks is concerned. I can admit when the competition is tough, but Olivia isn’t.

• James says:

You have to watch the whole season 1 of Fringe to really get what makes it that special. I believe you will love it if you give it a chance. I love old movies, but just couldn’t get into X-Files. I truly think Scully isn’t all that beautiful. Anyways, agree to disagree. lol. Olivia ftw, unless she goes up against Kate Beckett. That’d be horrifying. They are kinda juggling b/w top 2 favs of mine.

• 2shy says:

James, special as far as what? If we are basing this solely on looks, I don’t need to watch a season or even an episode. Now if you are talking about personality affecting perception of looks, that is a different story. But, we are talking about LOOKS here. Just this discussion in particular.

• James says:

Oh, I veered off the convo there. I was talking about the show in my last comment since you haven’t seen it. Give Fringe, the show, a chance. You may like it.

• 2shy says:

I never said I wouldn’t give it a chance–just not this week. I’m very busy. But, just like Fringe fans say you have to stick with the series, you have to stick with the X-Files as well.

• Audrey says:

You realize that this poll is about the character she plays, right?

• Paula says:

I think all of it counts, not only physically, but also how much you like a character for her actions and her wits. I didn’t think of this poll as shallow. Having a crush doesn’t just mean you like a person because of her/his looks. To each his own, anyway.