Thursday Ratings: CBS Dramas Eye Highs, All 8 O'Clock Comedies Look Low

Though the final numbers are subject to tick downward (due to CBS’ Pittsburgh affiliate carrying an NFL game), both of the Eye’s Thursday dramas look to be on the high side this week.

Following some holiday preemptions, Person of Interest returned to what could end up as a series high in total viewers (13.4 million), and is poised to post its best 18-49 rating (3.0) since its premiere.

Similarly, The Mentalist is eying season highs in both total viewers (13.75 mil) and the 18-49 demo (3.0). (Once football is factored out, I’ll come back to post an update. Probably.)

But with those seeming gifts came some coal for CBS, as both Big Bang Theory (14.42 mil/4.7) and Rules of Engagement (11 mil/3.2) dipped 11 percent in the demo versus their last fresh episodes.

Similarly during the 8 o’clock hour, Community‘s fall/winter/??? finale (3.62 mil/1.5) was down 12 percent in the demo (though just 3 percent in total audience), while lead-out Parks and Recreation (3.66 mil/1.7) dipped 6 percent. (FYI: Leslie’s “word cloud” can be seen here.)

The X Factor Top 5 Results Recap: Did the Right Act Go Home?

Elsewhere on the night….

* Opposite the CBS and NBC comedy blocks and X Factor, ABC’s Wipeout drew 6.6 million viewers and a 1.9 rating.

* Both the X Factor results show (9.94 mil/3.0) and Bones (9 mil/2.7) were on par with a week ago — though, like CBS, Fox’s Cleveland affiliate’s carriage of an NFL game promises to affect the final tallies.

* Unlike their 8 o’clock hour counterparts, NBC’s The Office (5.8 mil/2.9) and Whitney (4.14 mil/1.9) held steady in the demo while adding a few extra eyeballs.

* Grimm‘s Thursday foray drew 4.1 million total viewers and a 1.6 rating — improving 23 percent on Prime Suspect‘s most recent demo rating and marking an 11-week high for NBC in the time period, and on par with the freshman drama’s latest Friday outing.

What were you watching this Thursday? Which of the NBC comedies’ Christmas episodes brought you the most Yuletide joy?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Brad says:

I was so hoping Community would do better in ratings. Last nights episode was AMAZING. Just shows how much being put up against Big Bang hurts it…. And as a fan of Big Bang I have to say I am becoming disappointed with the writing. Last nights episode was so dull on cliched. The confronting your high school bully storyline is so old and tired. It’s funny that a show about Community College has the smartest writing and a show about geniuses has poor writing…… Sixseasonsandamovie!

• Ari says:

When I read the recap for last night’s episode of TBBT I actually thought it was a repeat! I swear they did this story before only with Raj. Community was perfection last night! Glee wishes it could be so awesome.

• Little Scarf Girl says:

I know! I think The Big Bang Theory is funny sometimes, but more often then not the plots are pretty unoriginal, and even overdone. Community is so fresh and unique. It’s sad more people aren’t watching it!

• Daffy says:

You’re nutz… community is horrible and TBBT is the funniest show on TV

• Steven says:

Hmmm….as I fan of both shows I have to disagree with you. I read a comment somewhere that said “TBBT is a funny show about smart people, but Community is a smart show about funny people.” Which pretty much sums it up I think. While TBBT has it’s merits, Community is all-around smarter, wittier and just plain funnier.

It is tragic that more people don’t watch it, I guess without the laugh track it’s hard for people to know what is a joke and what isn’t? :/

2. Becky says:

I could watch Jim Caviezel all day everyday. It makes me so very happy that I’m not the only one watching him.

3. GK says:

I’m so darn happy that Person of Interest is on CBS! This awesome show could go on for a few more seasons quite easily!
    And woah! Do the people really like Whitney or what! That’s so weird!

4. Kim says:

It hurts my soul that more people watched Wipeout than Community and Parks and Rec…which was one of my favorite hours of TV this season.

America loves Crap.

• aly says:

Seriously, where do they find these people who participate in Nielsen ratings? Community and Parks and Rec were both fantastic last night and it bothers me, probably more than it should, that the ratings are so low. Also kind of surprised that The Office held steady. I used to love it, but it just dreadful now and needs to be put out of its misery.

• Kim says:

I said this last night…The Office has completely lost all of its heart. It makes me so sad.

And as Yvette Nicole Brown has said…people who have Nielsen boxes are like unicorns.

• Larry says:

I have to agree. I am SO frustrated with the Nielson families. I hate the idea that my favorite shows are tied to the fate of the viewing whims of these people. There is a pattern with these people -they like tried-and-true procedurals, hate shows that cater to the young, love reality, and cheap comedies. They don’t want anything innovative -or they sample a new show but quickly get bored and move back to their ‘comfort’ shows. Seriously, are all these people only CBS viewers. It just seems too coincidental that EVERY night is won by the same network. You would think the advertisers are smart enough to know that Nielson is flawed and does NOT indicate what America is watching. They should buy advertising on the shows they think will best fit their demographies -to hell with the ratings!!!

5. Dave says:

What if you were a Jehovah’s witness that was pretending to like Christmas. Gathering clues and blending in to take down the holidays from within.

You mean like a spy investigating making it seems like I’m celebrating when actually I’m infultrating Santa’s operation.

Troy and Abed FTW!!!

6. Renee says:

I’m so happy Person Of Interest did well (series high?)…YEAH!

And Grimm did well on Thursday night…wonder if it will be moved there? I’m good with it on Thur. or Fri.

7. vane says:

Omg I love parks and recreation best show ever and I use to like BBT bt its getting boring community is starting to be funnyer them

• Templar says:

Actually, the best show ever was M*A*S*H. I like TBBT, but Sheldon was completely insufferable last night. And AFF is not just creepy, she’s repulsive. The writers need to change direction quickly. I want to like Community, love McHale but can’t stand Chevy Chase.

8. Saint Alicia says:

Yay, for The Mentalist! Last night’s ep was fun and different, but I have to say the promo for next week was the most exciting part.
    “Are we sleeping together?” If only ;)

• cher says:

Loving Mentalist, glad it’s doing well. I have to admit though, I don’t find the new Wayne-lawyer pairing very believable, seems forced.

• Natalie says:

Late to the party but I’m glad it did well last night too and that promo was great. Can’t wait till next Thursday.

9. Jess says:

I really enjoyed last night’s Grimm and am excited about another new episode tonight!!! I’m still on the Once train but if hard-pressed, i like Grimm better. (I know the two shows are very different, but people lump them together as “fairy-tale” derived shows.) I wonder if NBC’s thinking about moving it to Thursday instead? On Fridays, I watch Fringe over Grimm, but now Fringe’s on hiatus, makes my choosing easier!

10. carol says:

I’m excited to see Person of Interest doing so well. Full of suspense, unusual characters and situations, and loads of strong acting, this is my new must-see of the season.

11. Manuel says:

Both Community and Parks and Rec were outstanding last night. A great episode of Parks and Rec with the huge cherry on top of having Jean Ralphio and Raffi from The League in a single half an hour. Wow, just wow.

12. Ritter says:

I gave it a shot… It’s not as bad. It’s so so so much worse. Tired of shows that assume their audience are complete morons so there’s zero wit or originality. They even have to use a laugh track to tell us when they’re being funny. Community, you just don’t belong on the same network as Whitney.

13. Tasha says:

I really hope they don’t put Grimm on Thursdays permanently. 10 is kinda late and on Fridays, it’s up against Chuck’s swan song and what may well be Fringe’s (sorry) and CSI:NY (cause who watches that anyway?). So not as much pressure. Also I agree with the commenters saying BBT quality has gone down. This past season as well as season 4 have been dumb. This season especially. I’m so close to giving up on it. Unfortunately it’s gonna be wheezing out lame materials for 2 more seasons…boo

14. Hillary says:

Person Of Interest was awesome last night. The show gets better and better with each episode. Love it.

15. kevin says:

PERSON OF INTEREST still my favorite new show of the season and we wish COMMUNITY the best of luck for the rest of this season when the hit NBC sitcom returns sooner rather than later.