Exclusive

Spoiler Alert! Community Cast Reveals What Will Happen When (Yes, When!) the Show Returns

It’s time to face a cold, hard truth: Community is gone — for now. And since we know with all of our Changmas-lovin’ hearts that the Greendale gang will be back (and the sooner the better), we’ve compiled — with a little help from the cast of the NBC fave — a list of fun and slightly terrifying spoilers you can look forward to when Season 3 resumes this spring.

Alison Brie | “Right now we’re shooting an episode in which Annie and Britta share some more girl time as Annie helps her deal with an ex-boyfriend. It’s been fun to see the side of Annie again that’s got it all together, since we’ve seen our share of her flying off the handle! Usually, Britta is giving the advice and helping Annie grow up, so this time you can look forward to seeing it the other way around.”

Danny Pudi | “The gang is hired as celebrity impersonators for a Bar Mitzvah. I can’t say who Abed is playing, but it terrified my mother so I think that’s a good thing. And, as you guys know, the blanket fort is back and it’s bigger than ever! But this time there are some creative differences leading to an all-school struggle!”

Gillian Jacobs | “Fans can look forward to seeing me dressed as my celebrity doppelgänger… who is a man.” [Editor's note: Any guesses?]

Joel McHale | “You guys can look forward to some Motown Philly, Pierce saying, ‘Will someone call all of the ambulances?,’ drunk confessions on an altar, “Train Engineer” Dean Pelton, Blade, and French Stewart.”

Yvette Nicole Brown | “Fans can expect more varied pairings within the study group and the triumphant return of Shirley’s (ex) hubby, Andre, played by Malcolm-Jamal Warner.”

So, Human Beings, what are you most excited to see when Community returns next year? Hit the comments!

1. sparky says:

Yes, but the big question is: when will Britta’s assumed psychology professor, Ian Duncan (John Oliver) return to the show?

• Jessica (@LongTallSally08) says:

Oh, I sure hope so! I really miss John Oliver!

I can’t choose which spoiler I’m most excited about. I just want the show to come back ASAP! #sixseasonsandamovie

2. Lauren says:

The Christmas ep was wonderful! I hope this show makes it!

3. Will says:

Is it weird that I’m most excited to see Malcolm-Jamal Warner again?

4. Ruba says:

very excited and i will be waiting for the show to come back….I Just love it so much, I am watching a minimum of 2 Community episodes a day till it’s back. #sixseasonsandamovie please GOD six seasons and a MOVIE

5. Tiffany says:

I know it’s “time” to face the cruel truth, but I’m just not prepared for it. I miss it already! Thank you for sharing some scoop to try and fill the Greendale-shaped hole in our hearts for the moment. I’m probably going to spend far too much time trying to imagine who Britta’s male doppelganger is!

6. JennyH says:

Britta’s male doppelganger has to be Michael Jackson. She is totally a white, female MJ.

7. Jason says:

More Britta in skin tight unitards, please.

8. greenerpuddles says:

Bieber with boobs is my guess.

9. Joe says:

mmmm Britta’s doppleganger is Clark Gable ? Abed is a mohel who performs a bris on Shirley’s nephew. Annie gets her boobies revived…and Joel McHale will becomes best buddies with Ryan Seacrest

10. marie says:

i’m just happy that the show is returning..and yes, more Britta in unitards please!

11. Jon says:

Britta – either Sawyer from LOST or David Spade.

12. Em says:

Britta’s celebrity doppelganger is clearly Macaulay Culkin.

13. Jasdeep says:

Gillians Doppelganger = Michael Jackson
    Not meant as an insult, she hot…but her cute nose reminds me of MJ

• John says:

Yeah, I agree her Doppelganger will be Michael Jackson. They both have similar facial features, and she commented on it back in season 1 dvds.

14. LC says:

I’m going to be a nerd and mention all the celebrity names previously revealed on this site in the Bar Mitzvah episode: Angelina Jolie, Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz, James Gandolfini, Joe Pantaliano, Joey Lawrence & Matt Damon.

I don’t know if this means the study group will fill one of those above names but it’s certainly interesting if they do!

15. Debra says:

Britta’s doppelganger… Ryan Seacreast?

16. D says:

Hooray for varied pairings. Troy/Abed, Jeff/Annie, Britta/Shirley, and Pierce too streets ahead for a partner was getting tiresome. Loved the finale!

17. Amelie says:

Here’s what I’m hoping for with Community’s return:

Jeff/Annie let them have sex!

Troy/Britta Continue to develop their relationship, so much chemistry.

More Annie/Troy/Abed scenes. Excited for Annie and Britta’s friendship episode, very needed! And looking forward to the return of Shirley’s husband. Would also like to see some more Jeff/Pierce scenes.

• L says:

I concur with all your hopes for the Community return. J/A needs to happen. Troy & Britta have steadily grown on me and I’ve been spotting more adorable looks and moments.

I can’t wait for more Britta & Annie friendship; I’ve wanted this for a long time. This is obviously one of the varied pairings that Yvette was talking about. I’m guessing maybe some Jeff/Pierce, Britta/Abed, Troy/Shirley, Annie/Pierce or Shirley/Abed pairings can all be explored.

18. Amy says:

I can’t wait for Community and especially the blanket fort to return! Because it will! Christmas episode was amazing! #sixseasonsandamovie

19. Paul says:

I could never get into this show. However, I do think Joel McHale is talented, he just needs to be on a better show!

• Paul's Good Twin says:

Please excuse my twin here, but Joel McHale IS on the better show. It’s called COMMUNITY! Also The Soup is an excellent show as well.

Super Side Note: I will say in behalf of all the men and women, we want to see more of Annie’s boobs. I’M TALKING ABOUT THE MONKEY PERVS.

20. kevin says:

I wish COMMUNITY the best of luck for the rest of the season if NBC has the guts to give this hit sitcom a fair chance at renewal.

21. Amy says:

Please NBC bring back Community as soon as possible. I already miss it

22. Pauls guardian says:

WHO left the door open and let Paul out of his cell??? uh room?
    The whole cast is the best ensemble ever!

23. Joshua says:

Community feeds my soul. NBC, please bring back Community ASAP. This is your chance to be the most ‘streets ahead’ cable network of all time. Do not squander it.

24. guy1 says:

I`d like to see some Jeff/Annie action!! Yeah, I am a shipper… sue me.

#twelveseasonsandathemepark #savegreendale!!

25. Robert Ariadne says:

You know what I would like to see? A spoof of Breaking Bad.

26. Charlotte says:

#12seasonsandathemepark
    Let’s do this. So pumped for the return!

27. Holly says:

I hope the drunken confession involves Jeff and Britta. I miss them so much. I don’t understand why everyone loves Jeff and Annie more? My boyfriend thinks it’s because audiences are suckers for the secretary/boss romance and that’s what Jeff/Annie kind of emulate. I personally think that if the writers had another good crack at Jeff and Britta, a lot people would start to root for them.

• Rob says:

OMG. Finally! Thank you Holly. Someone else who sees how amazing Jeff and Britta are and could be. I’ve never ever liked JeffxAnnie. That pairing is for kids. Once you’ve been in an adult relationship, you’ll see why JeffxBritta is appealing and entertaining. Open your eyes people, Jeff and Annie don’t belong together.

• Kat says:

That’s incredibly insulting to Jeff/Annie fans who are adults and have been/are in adult relationships! Just because you favor one pairing over another, doesn’t mean you are childish in any way.

For the record, I like Jeff/Britta very much, only as more of a friendly sibling-banter type pairing. I do really enjoy their moments.

Oh and also, not all Jeff/Annie fans expect them to live happily ever after. Some of us appreciate that they just have fantastic chemistry that should naturally be explored.

• Eliza says:

I’m kind of in between here. And Kat, I wouldn’t take that comment too seriously. People can kind of go overboard when they’re trying to express their opinion. Anyway, I’m in between because I’d like to see Jeff and Annie try something but ultimately I want Jeff and Britta to end up together for realsies. I think J/A deserve the chance to
          properly explore what’s between them but I don’t want it to work out. I think just temporary is best. Jeff and Britta still have feelings for each other I think but I’d like them to date others first so that they can realize that in the long run, they only want each other.

• Kat says:

I think Jeff & Britta will end up together eventually. Considering how they’ve been writing Jeff/Annie scenes (awkward, playing up the age difference, the father figure stuff) I feel they are doing that on purpose in a way to stop people liking them. But I do think that Jeff & Annie deserve something. There is definitely something there between them.
            But ultimately it will go back around to Britta. They are just working up to it.

• Rose says:

I don’t think it was trying to be offensive and I don’t have a problem with most Jeff/Annie fans although I kinda feel cheated quite a lot. They dominate everything and some of it is just plain horrible for non shippers.

You go onto a video- “Oooh look at Alison, she has a niiiice body. (goes into explicit detail)” or “Annie is so much hotter than Britta.” Okay so maybe not that entirely… But definitely as soon as you go onto any video with Britta/Jeff or a group one you get, “Britta/Jeff have no chemistry.” or “This video would be SO much better if it was Annie instead of Britta!” and, “TEAM ANNIE!” and, “You guys must be pretty stupid to still follow them.” and “Would be better with more Annie.”, “These two will never get together.”, “Annie/Jeff is better! Duh!”, “Thumbs down for it being Jeff/Britta.”, “Can’t wait for them to get together!!” then after about five lines of talking about why they should be together they say, “Oh and Britta can be with…. Troy? And they can live happily ever after too (with emphasis of Annie/Jeff for the rest of the show though and no real reason for Britta and Troy to even get together)!” also “Jeff loves Annie, he NEVER loved Britta at all. Just thought you should know.”

Drives me INSANE!!!!!!! I just wish that people could enjoy all the characters and their possible relationships and not force other people into it and I HATE and don’t tolerate Britta/Annie competitions!! I hate looking through comments and feeling like I can’t even enjoy it because I’m the only person who feels completely alienated by Jeff/Annie…

I feel like Annie/Jeff is like a perfect couple and maybe it’s because in my family marriages sometimes don’t go right and I’ve grown up believing (I’m a fifteen year old girl so I haven’t actually experienced it) that to make a relationship is a lot of luck and really hard work and often amazing people never get that luck but the idea of a perfect relationship where it’s lovey dovey all the time scares me and annoys me because I’ve never seen a relationship where everything is completely perfect.

Jeff/Britta makes me so happy because while they’re flawed and fight and suck at romance I feel like it’s real and that they would do all that for each other and still make it funny and make you feel warm that doesn’t have that “I feel like I’m watching something that’s not my business.”

Also I love all the Community characters and I’m quite happy with most Jeff/Annie followers who don’t find other followers too and am fine with all followings except maybe Annie/Britta romance because… No.

On a kinda side note: I’ve wanted Annie/Britta friendship forever!!! Why torture us??!!

And it has to be Michael Jackson for Britta’s dopple-ganger… Bye… Sorry for rant…

• Abbie says:

I’m with you, Rose. Enough with the “JeffxAnnie FTW” comments in regard to JeffxBritta related videos, posts, etc. I’m definitely looking forward to Britta and Annie becoming really close friends and cooling down on the rivalry. JeffxBritta is also my ideal relationship as well. :D

• Kat says:

I completely agree with you re: the comments war. I think it’s a ridiculous though I have seen just as much Jeff/Annie hate on videos etc…as I have of the Jeff/Britta hate. I think it depends on what you watch/read. But yes, it should stop. I love all the characters equally, and sure, I lean more towards Jeff/Annie on the romance side of things but that isn’t the reason I watch the show at all. I’m just enjoying what comes along.

I just get annoyed when people who prefer Jeff/Annie are deemed as childish little girls who have never known relationships and are viewed as too romantic. That is not me at all.

• Tim says:

Does anyone think Annie/Abed is a good pairing or just me?

• Amber says:

“Once you’re in an adult relationship, you’ll see why JeffxBritta is appealing and entertaining.” Geez, judge much? That is a very odd declaration to make. I personally have never really liked the concept of Britta and Jeff together. Even from the pilot it felt like a bad idea to me, like the sexual chemistry just wasn’t there. They do seem more like siblings to me. I don’t think of myself as a “shipper”, in fact, I really despise that term, but I do think Joel and Alison have some good chemistry together, and it feels like an “opposites attract” thing to me. The character of Jeff is kind of shallow by himself, it gives him a little more depth to have a romance with someone as good and sweet as Annie. And Annie could have good chemistry with Abed, but only if he’s doing his Don Draper or Han Solo impression. Especially the Don Draper impression, for obvious reasons.

• Angela says:

Honestly, I like both pairings and have a hard time deciding between them. I LOVE Jeff and Britta’s constant bickering. They already sound like a longtime couple every time they get into some silly fight about something, and have an excellent banter. Plus, they have slept together (I know sex and love aren’t always automatically intertwined, but still, I have to think there’s something there between them for them to have done that. They were genuinely attracted to each other at one time, at least).

But I also do like Jeff and Annie, too. Yeah, it’s definitely taken some time for me to get used to the age difference, and I debate whether or not it’s more of a sibling relationship instead of a romantic one, but they have had some real genuine, tension-filled “moments”, Annie’s always been of legal age the whole time she’s been around Jeff, so it’s really not like it’s some creepy underage thing some people make it out to be (besides, I’m 12 years younger than Joel McHale and find him incredibly attractive, so, you know, I can easily relate to Annie on that level), and their little “milord/milady” thing is truly sweet and cute. And they both have a knack for really getting to each other-Jeff being protective of Annie (which I always love seeing), and Annie knowing precisely how to cut Jeff down to size and bring out his human side.

There are good elements to both relationships, and if the show wants to bounce back and forth and explore each a little more from time to time, I’d be okay with that. Who even says there has to be a final choice? Given the show’s all about breaking and playing with conventions, it’d make sense that they wouldn’t automatically have “THE couple”, whichever one it is, come together at the end.

Plus, Troy and Britta have had some interesting moments, too, that I’d like to see pan out a bit.

I also fully approve of more detail of Shirley’s life, and it’d be nice to see more sides to Pierce and Abed, too. There’s all sorts of wonderful stories they could create with these characters’ pasts and futures (graduation will come up eventually), so I hope to see more of that. Especially the futures. Joel’s comment about what to expect also has me laughing and very curious.

And finally, on a totally shallow note, I won’t complain at all about seeing Jeff shirtless/naked again a time or two. ‘Kay. Now MY long-winded post is over.

• Dan Marrin says:

You could do the CLUE ending, where you’ve got multiple endings for the multiple different relationships. God knows they’re capable of that after we saw “Remedial Chaos Theory.” That way, we can all end up happy!

• Dan Marrin says:

And by the way, I am a 32-year-old male in a long-term relationship who thinks Jeff/Annie is an awesome unexpected find. When you think about it, their romantic tension over age is part of the central issue of the show, which is about growing up. When does one truly reach maturity? Is it a question of age, education, experience? The conflict between them helps open that up a bit, and it makes the show more interesting for me.

28. eric murphy says:

Bring community back! I hope with all the uproar over the indefinite benching, NBC realizes the amount of support the show enjoys. Tell your friends to watch the show and tivo BBT!

29. Amy says:

I hope the drunk confessions on an altar are Jeff and Annie related. This should have happened a while ago. I am dying to see something significant happen between them!

30. Clara says:

Jeff/Annie and Troy/Britta for the win! Britta and Jeff make better friends/sibling type of thing. Annie and Jeff balance each other out and have explosive chemistry. Troy and Britta are so sweet.

31. John says:

After sending two cast members to Chuck for the day, I think Chuck needs to return the favor.

32. Chris j says:

Elizabeth Shue

33. Cami says:

Yay! I’ve wanted Annie/Britta friendship for a long time now. I hate the fan wars because I love every character, but for pairings I’m all for Jeff and Annie. I feel like they have the better story, and they have so much chemistry. The father figure stuff I don’t see as a clue to ‘no Jeff and Annie ever’, but as an obstacle that must be overcome in order for them to have a relationship.
    One thing, as for Abed, I love him to death (who doesn’t?) but I wouldn’t like him with anyone in the group because I see him as the voice of reason and if he becomes involved with anyone, that might just make the group crumble for me.

34. SomeGuy says:

Team Trannie! (Troy+Annie)

35. Simon says:

I laughed out loud (lol’ed, if you will) at Changmas!

36. Amber says:

Gillian Jacobs has a male celebrity doppelganger? Oh curse you, TVLine, that’s going to keep me up all night tonight thinking about that.

37. Chris says:

NBC is the network equivalent of fro-yo. They never should have pushed Community back, particularly with their pitiful, evil, alternate universe of substitutions. But a blanket fort, celeberity impersonations and Alison Brie talking “girl/girl time” (okay, maybe she didn’t actually say that, but I can hope…), that’s my dream team for comedy:)

38. Vic says:

That’s what I was talking about, a day without community is like a day without booze

39. Jd says:

Am i the only one who thinks that Jeff-Annie pairing is just plain WRONG? If I am not mistaken even Joel’s character(i,e Jeff), wishes to weed out his feelings of wanton lust for Annie’s ‘young flesh'; as seen in Season 2 episode 12 “Asian Population studies”, Jeff admits to admiring Rich(Shocking,I know!) when he comes to know that Rich declined Annie’s advances stating simply that she was ‘too-young’. Jeff was impressed by rich’s uncomplicated and straight-forward perception of his relationship with Annie, which was quite unlike jeff’s own guilty and unjustifiable possessiveness of annie. Jeff-Britta for the win!