Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Vampire Diaries, The Good Wife, Chuck, Criminal Minds and More

What has Vampire Diaries‘ Stefan been up to? Is Will bitter over his break-up with Good mom Alicia? What’s nudes with Chuck and Sarah? Read on for those answers, plus other teases from TV’s hottest shows.

The Vampire Diaries | Let’s start by dipping into the mailbag and helping fans of this CW drama cope a bit with the holiday hiatus. Amy asks, “Can you give me any TVD scoop? Specifically, Caroline and/or Stefan scoop?” Amy, here is exec producer Julie Plec’s holiday gift to you: “When the show returns [on Jan. 5], Stefan has been MIA since he stole Klaus’s family coffins, but we’ll learn he’s been busy trying to figure out a way to stay one step ahead of Klaus. When Elena and Damon finally have the opportunity to confront him about his recent actions, his response makes Damon think twice about acting on his feelings for Elena.” Caroline, meanwhile, doesn’t resurface until Jan. 12, when, Plec says, “she and Tyler come to terms with their recent breakup and what Tyler’s sire bond means for their future. Oh, and it’s her 18th birthday!”

TVLine’s Guide to Fall Finale and Winter Return Dates

Criminal Minds | Iris tweeted at me, “Can you get some scoop on the 150th episode? Need more ‘intense plane scene’ deets!” Well, the milestone hour, as TVLine previously scooped, guest-stars Dina Meyer (Birds of Prey) as a rape victim who takes into custody her own suspect (The Shield‘s Jay Karnes), leaving the BAU to determine A) if she got it right and B) what to do with this lady vigilante. As exec producer Erica Messer explains, “We took a typical episode where the good guys find the bad guys and put it on its head. We’ve got a victim who thinks she’s found her offender… but she may be holding the wrong man captive.” As for the “intense plane scene” Iris alluded to, I am hearing that it’s not so much intense as… different.

The Good Wife | In the wake of Alicia breaking up with Will, there’ve been a lot of questions, so I went digging around for answers. For starters, an insider tells me, yes, Will was in fact set to become a “commitment” guy and be there for Alicia when she gave him the hook. And though she cut him off at the pass, I am assured that Will will not be bitter – in part because, in his heart, he knows it’s best for the firm. As for those of you fretting that Good Wife will now amp up the flirtation between Will and newbie Caitlin (played by Anna Camp), I hear that will not be the case – if only because, my source notes, “Will is going to have a lot going on” with the State’s Attorney’s investigation and eventual legal action against him.

Chuck Preview: Community‘s Danny Pudi Stirs Up Drama at the Buy More

Chuck | If a guest-starring turn by Community‘s Danny Pudi isn’t enough to make you check out this Friday’s episode, know that significant skin will also be on display as Chuck and Sarah go undercover at nudist colony — and that created quite a challenge for Zachary Levi, who also directed the hour. “When I read the script the first time, I thought, ‘How the hell am I supposed to do this?!” Levi relates. “I haven’t seen this done on television before. Well, I have, but Game of Thrones is not really throwing blur boxes on it — and thank God for that.” The bigger challenge may have been sporting the (sparse) wardrobe. As series cocreator Chris Fedak quips, “I was like, ‘Zach’s robe is shorter than Yvonne’s. We made a mistake here.’”

ABC Family Sets Winter Premiere Dates for Liars, Lying Game and More

The Lying Game | Speaking with series star Alexandra Chando at ABC Family’s Winter Wonderland party, I was sure to ask for the 411 on Char’s aunt, Annie Sewell, to be played by Buffyverse alum Charisma Carpenter. “She comes on as a foxy lady and stirs up some trouble,” Chando teased. “She definitely has a past with Alec (Adrian Pasdar) and Ted (Andy Buckley), and that’s revealed as soon as she sees both of them.” I then shared my take that the resemblance between Carpenter and Chando should not go unnoticed on the show. In fact, could this Annie be Emma and Sutton’s real mom? “I don’t know, maybe…,” Chando shrugged. “She very well could be!” (Lying Game returns Jan. 2.)

American Horror Story Star Teases Season Finale: ‘It’s Happy… And It’s Not’

Against the Wall | I’ve had some readers ask if this Lifetime drama will be renewed for a second season, and as of Tuesday, Treat Williams claimed to not have “the faintest idea.” With a nod to the drama’s so-so ratings, he said, “[Lifetime is] a corporation and they’re going to make money, and if the show helps them, we’re on; if the show doesn’t, we’re not on…. If you look at the numbers, we were very much on the fence.” Whatever the outcome, Williams said, “I loved working there and it is a great cast to be with. But as an actor you just have to sit on the river and go with the flow.”

30 Rock Scoop: James Marsden Nabs Major Arc!

Casting About…. | Maybe the American Horror Story season finale won’t be as ugly as Taissa Farmiga makes it sound? The show’s final, yet-to-be-filled guest-starring role for Season 1 is “Helen,” a Jewish beautician. Let’s hope the shampoo girl is good at rinsing out blood…. 30 Rock, which launches its new season on Jan. 12, will be flashing back to Jack’s childhood, and as such is looking to cast a younger version of Emmy winner Elaine Stritch (who plays mom to Alec Baldwin). Applicants should probably have a Words With Friends account.

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (57)

• Thanks for the scoop on The Vampire Diaries and The Lying Game. Very much appreciated. Looking forward to reading any new scoops on The Secret Circle if you can get any next time!

Comment by Anon – December 8, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that Char’s aunt and Sutton/Emma’s bio mom are BOTH named Annie is so confusing!!!

Comment by Kathryn – December 8, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally something on Vampire Diaries. But please don’t have Damon think twice on his feelings for Elena. Not now!

Comment by Amber – December 8, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes now. At last Damon is doing something for his brother, you know, the one who sacrificed everything and who keeps saving his life? Damon’s finally not acting like a dick.

Comment by Kara – December 8, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As if Damon hasn’t put himself in danger all season to save Stefan too. They both save each other, this is not some one-sided thing.

Comment by Kimmy – December 9, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO DEXTER SCOOP. AGAIN. I THINK YOU SUCK TV LINE…

Comment by josh – December 8, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really anxious to watch that “jet scene like no other”. How different can it be? It’s not like Hotch and Emily are going to make out or have sex on the plane. That would be different, but ain’t gonna happen, ever.

Comment by D – December 8, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thankfully not.

Comment by jennrae – December 9, 2011 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, thanks for TGW spoilers. I think the State Attorney’s Investigation storyline is going to be exciting, especially because it seems it’s going to involve and affect every single character (and not just professionally). And I’m dying to know what will happen to Cary and Kalinda because I absolutely love those two togheter and I can’t stand Dana.

Comment by Lucy – December 8, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last night I was trying to imagine a courtroom scenario where Alicia, in the name of helping save Will’s bacon, needs to testify that they were “together” one night, at risk of torpedoing Peter’s gubernatorial aspirations.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 8, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, it could be. Many pawns sit on the chess-board right now and with Wendy as Special Prosecutor every uncomfortable scenario is possible.

Comment by Lucy – December 8, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dana is awful!

Comment by jennrae – December 9, 2011 01:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the update on Against the Wall. I was really enjoying that show and hope it returns next summer! If not, we will definitely need to know who Abby chose!

Comment by Kelly – December 8, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. I loved this show and hope it returns! And I hope she picked Brody :)

Comment by Dani – December 8, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I loved Against the Wall too. If they don’t want to pick up AGW, they could at least do a pretty decent Lifetime movie to wrap everything up, but I would much prefer a second season.

Comment by Melissa – December 8, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! Team Brody!!

Comment by Kelly – December 9, 2011 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the TGW scoop. While I am glad that there will be no bitterness between Alicia and Will, I am doubly glad that they are not going the Caitlin route. However, does this mean the door is completely shut to A/W ever being romantically involved as long as she is still employed by his firm? I enjoy their friendship, but I enjoyed them as a couple and was hoping that once they had their personal troubles behind them (her divorce, his investigation), they’d reconcile.

Comment by AD – December 8, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts since last Sunday have been that Alicia may make the decision down the road to leave the firm and join Louis because of both her family and Will.

Comment by Toni – December 9, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the TGW scoop. I am glad that there won’t be any bitteness or any Caitlin in Will’s future. However, does this shut the door permanently to any romance in his and Alicia’s future or are we going just the friendship route for now on. While I enjoy their friendship, I was kind of hoping that they would reconnect romantically once the mess with his investigation and her marriage went away.

Comment by AD – December 8, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the update on Against the Wall. Absolutely loved the show and hoping it will return. Agree with Kelly, we have to know which guy Abby chose. Hoping it is Brady!

Comment by Mandy – December 8, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The same brother who turned Damon against his will, don’t forget. Stefan’s a big boy, he has no claim on Elena. HE BROKE UP WITH HER. And besides, maybe the boys should BOTH back off and let Elena make up her own mind. HER choice is what matters.

Comment by Michelle – December 8, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your right, Stefan should have let Damon die. *sarcasm*

Comment by julia – December 8, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Could have *shrugs* if that’s what Damon preferred.

Comment by Kimmy – December 9, 2011 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so hope that Stefan finally pulls the dagger outta Elijah…the wait for his return is killing me

Comment by Max – December 8, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wait…don’t we already know that Annie is Emma/Sutton’s biological mom?

Comment by lara – December 8, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Annie Hobbs, yes. But this is the Lying Game and all…..

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 8, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha, awesome Chuck scoop :) I’m even more excited now !

Comment by lolo – December 8, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might have to check Chuck out:) I always love nudlty beaches also for CM you know Morgan(Shermon) was on Bid of Prey too I hope we get to see the two of them togther as a nob to bird of prey

Comment by Michael – December 8, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for TGW and CM scoop! Two of my fav shows–can’t read enough about them :)

Comment by Saint Alicia – December 8, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • damon and elena forever!!!!!!!!

Comment by meeee – December 8, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No thanks. Stefan and Elena forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by julia – December 8, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No thank you!! Delena forever!!!!!!!

Comment by Tia – December 8, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Delena, the ship of twelve year old fan girls!

Comment by Kara – December 8, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Your assumption is incorrect. You think all Damon and Elena fans are 12? Really? That’s not even statistically possible.

Comment by Kimmy – December 9, 2011 12:44 AM PDT
          • haha whoa Kimmy calm down. no need to get so defensive. it’s just a silly tv show.

Comment by chafo – December 9, 2011 08:39 AM PDT
          • Really?? Delena?? Stelena is the ship of twelve year old girls, who are still waiting for the forever prince charming to come back

Comment by Gabriele – December 10, 2011 12:28 PM PDT
  • Thanks for the scoop on TVD…but, I feel a little deflated. All this talk about Elena & Damon finally moving forward and now the scoop is Damon wants to put the breaks on? Trying to keep an open mind, but GEEZ…..Stefan and Elena had TWO YEARS…ENOUGH! Let’s see what the other bro can do!

Comment by Sassy – December 8, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Chars aunt Annie was Emma and Sutton mum – didn’t know there was any question mark to it…

Comment by Sara – December 8, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the TGW spoiler though was hoping for some Kalinda’s news, she is my favorite character of the show. Hope she and Alicia get some scenes together and where their friendship go after Grace’s “kidnapping” episode.

Comment by Tahina – December 8, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys chill. It’s obvious they’re gonna set us off with Delena. it can’t happen just yet. they’re waiting for the season finale. and I think it’s better this way. I want it to be through her advances. He will back down and she will realize she loves him too and chase him back. This way we know for sure she didnt just give in to the pressure.
    I’m not worried for a second. Delena has the biggest chemistry in the show. It’s happening, that’s certain.

Comment by Maddie – December 8, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STELENA & DELENA Ship wars will never end. BETTER ENJOY THE WHOLE SHOW. That’s more healthy.

Comment by Peace-not-War – December 8, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not so sure they are going to let it happen.. It’s like Bill and Eric on True Blood. At the end of the day, Bill (Stefan) is probably the one she’s going to be with. They may give us a tiny taste of Eric (Damon), but nothing lasting. Which is sad because I want Elena with Damon so badly.
    So don’t rest assured.
    Also, it totally bites that Caroline won’t be back yet. She’s grown into one of my favorite characters..that’s the only thing I hate about TVD is that they drop some characters off sometimes.

Comment by Danielle H – December 8, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About the Vampire Diaries—

Ugh, Elena doesn’t deserve Damon. Can’t he just move on already? I don’t think I’ll ever understand that ship. I’m tired about hearing about “Damon and Elena” news.

But WHY IS DAMON EVEN CONSIDERING ACTING ON HIS FEELINGS? That’s a crappy thing to do his brother who sacrificed everything, including Elena, to save him. “Thanks, bro. Now that you’ve given up everything for me, I’m going to repay you by hooking up with your girl.”

This is why I don’t like Delena. It turns Damon into a sucky brother. That is not the guy I know and love.

Comment by Jenny – December 8, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said Jenny, I agree with all of this.

Delena may eventually happen, but for it to happen like this just makes it seem repulsive. I used to love Damon, but this just pretty much ruins him completely for me.

Comment by Kara – December 8, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You make it seem so easy for him to just fight what he feels. If Elena were the one to want to date him, should he just turn her down? Stefan and Elena broke up. They are no longer together. Stefan has no claim over her, she’s not some prize that should be waiting home for him. If Damon and Elena start wanting to pursue a relationship, how can they fight what they feel and no do so?

This is insane. After everything that Damon has done for Stefan this season especially risking his life time and again to get him back, you still call him a sucky brother. He almost got killed at the hands of Klaus and Simon Camden hybrid! What more do you want!

Comment by Kimmy – December 9, 2011 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For Damon to chose his brother over some teenage girl, just as Stefan has already done. That is all.

Comment by Kara – December 9, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ^ THIS! <3

Love that.

I don't think I need to say anything else. You nailed everything with a simple sentence.

Comment by Jenny – December 9, 2011 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She’s not just “some teenage girl”, he loves her. And if Damon can save Stefan and still perhaps be with Elena – what’s wrong with that? Elena is not Stefan’s possession or something. If she chooses to be with Damon then that’s her right. It doesn’t have to be Stefan or bust for the rest of her life.

Comment by Kimmy – December 9, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Its just silly how elena could love someone who killed his brother, turned her birth mother into a vampire, and seemed to just not meet her standards. its just sad that she just seemed to easily forget those, gave up on Stefan, who in the long run loved her unconditionally. damon might have changed but would elena just easily turn the table–knowing that Stefan was compelled. stefan made his choice yes, but who else would choose to save his brother if not him? yes, elena has the right to move on after everything–but would she not also give Stefan a chance, after everything she had went through just as how she seemed to forgive damon after everything he had done? elena is the core of the brothers’ lives–perhaps the reason for the shipwars. maybe it would be better if she choose none between Stefan or Damon.

Comment by none of both – December 9, 2011 06:29 PM PDT
          • But WHY DOES HE LOVE HER. She throws herself in harms way needlessly ALL THE TIME. I don’t see any redeeming characteristics in her. They forced her down we the audiences throat and just assumed we would see what everyone else in the show sees in her. That entire last season made me hate her more and more. I think there has only been one moment where I was like “Go Elena” and that was when she staked Elijah at the Lake house. I just don’t like the character and if I have to endure her I’d rather watch her with someone that 100% without fail always had her back (Stefan). I hated watching them together because they were so syrupy but looking back on it Stefan did whatever was necessary to ensure she was happy and safe and loved. Damon was abusive and still is at times (don’t get me wrong I like him) but I’m not going to ship that relationship EVER.

Comment by Pepsi – December 16, 2011 04:05 PM PDT
  • Man CM is going strong these season

Comment by Michael – December 8, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Lifetime give a 2nd season to Against the Wall, it was an enjoyable show. It seemed to be getting better towards the end, so there was a spark of hope that it would con’t… I guess we need to wait & see. However, i’d watch again.

Comment by Paul – December 8, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately the idiots at Lifetime just cancelled it! I presume to make room for more of their terrible white-trash shows. Lifetime sucks!

Comment by Mr. Quip – December 9, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Send an email to nancy.dubuc@aetn.com and tell her what you think. She is the person responsible for cancelling ATW.

Comment by Chris – December 14, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have always, since the beginning of S1, preferred Stefan over Damon (What can I say? I prefer aspiring martyr over the perpetually relapsing sinner).
    But they should just let Damon and Elena get together already. The love triangle is getting so old and I don’t want them to drag it out for the entire future of the show.
    Honestly, I have no idea what Stefan even sees in Elena anymore. The lack of chemistry between them is so pronounced.
    If it weren’t for Tyler, I would want Stefan/Caroline. Caroline is the most BAMF female character on the show in the long term, given that Katherine will not be able to stay around forever.

Comment by Nicky C – December 8, 2011 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard 30 Rock cast Nicol Paone, who does and Elaine Stritch impression, from The Big Gay Sketch Show. I saw her sketch a few years ago. Love the casting choice.

Comment by Jon – December 19, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post