Rachel's Gay Dads on Glee: Let's Cast 'Em!

Get More: Casting News, News

Rachel’s gay dads are finally making their way to Glee later this season.

An insider has confirmed EW.com’s scoop that the show is ready to pull the trigger on introducing Rachel’s oft-referred-to-but-never-seen interracial parents.

Naturally, the stunt casting possibilities are endless. Here are 16 of our favorite possibilities (split evenly by race). Vote for your fave in each of the two categories and then let the universe take it from there.

Glee Tackling Michael Jackson Songbook: 5 Songs The Show Must Cover (And 5 to Avoid)

Tags: ,

Comments (254)

• John Barrowman! :)

Comment by Pavla – December 9, 2011 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How has no one mentioned Stanly Tucci?!

Comment by Tini – December 9, 2011 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hmm… i pretty much love all of these choices. But voted for Taye Digg-Adam Pascal reunion!!! Seriously, with Idina, that would be a freakin’ explosion of awesome! :D

Comment by Jess – December 9, 2011 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Barrowman is perfect for roll of Rachel’s dad-just perfect!!!!!

Comment by Jane – December 9, 2011 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse L Martin and Jason Alexander

Comment by amb – December 9, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JOHN BARROWMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He’d be PERFECT! :D

Comment by Felicity – December 9, 2011 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all for finding the models who posed for the pictures with Lea Michele that are taped to the inside of Rachel’s locker door, pictures of Rachel and her two gay dads

Comment by Kevin – December 9, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TAYE AND HUGH FTW! Sorry for the CAPS lock, but the minute I saw those two faces, I couldn’t vote or type fast enough. (prays to the casting gods) Please oh please oh please oh please oh please!!

In addition to my begging, some logic: Both actors have backgrounds in theater. And Idina? Giving her child up for adoption? To her real-life husband?! C’MON people.

Comment by D. Marie – December 9, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idina Menzel (shelby cocoran on glee) and Taye Diggs are married in real life. if guest stars in glee i might laugh. not only would he be working with his wife sorta, he’d be working in a similar scene. shelby is racheals birth mom. taye is an option for the adoptive dad. if find this humorous lol.

Comment by laur2222 – December 9, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs and Eric McCormack are the perfect parents for Rachel Berry.

Comment by Anthony Newhall – December 9, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Barrowman. He sings incredibly well and is great eye candy!

Comment by Bizarro7 – December 9, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Barrowman and RuPaul. Both are openly gay and established recording artists and performers.

Comment by QJ201 – December 9, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Barrowman as Dad #2, hands down. And I would love to see Taye Diggs as Dad #1, they would be amazing together!

Comment by Sam – December 9, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Consider how her dad’s looked in the first episode. I’d say they need people who look close to them. Not exact since it was like 2 years ago but at least somewhat close. It’d be funny if they were both white though.

Comment by Sabina – December 9, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs & Nathan Lane would be the best in my opinion.

Comment by Nathan – December 9, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NATHAN LANE AND JESSE L. MARTIN.

That is all.

Well, not really. They are both fantastic, seasoned broadway actors and I think having a Bostwick/Meatloaf-esque cameo like in the Rocky Horror episode would be perfect. No singing, just a wink and a nudge and a fangirlish squee from a broadway fan.

Comment by Mellie – December 9, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps Adam Levine from Maroon 5 would be a great potential daddy for Rachel. I don’t know about his acting skills, but he has great personality and great voice. With him, I would couple Jamie Foxx. Now there’s some star power to make Rachel the diva she is. :)

Comment by Heidi – December 10, 2011 02:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Split evenly by race?? Really that’s the direction you went with to pick the men and then have people vote on it? and FYI, there are much more races and ethnicities than Black Americans and white Americans

Comment by CZ – December 10, 2011 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But that’s how they’ve been depicted. I’m pretty sure that faced with Santana and Tina, Rachel would have mentioned other ethnicities.

Comment by Natalia – December 11, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was a picture of them in the pilot. A white Jewish looking man and a black man.

Comment by please calm down – December 12, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish John Barrowman were listed

Comment by Griff – December 10, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait a minute… I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them in a short flash… One of the first episodes, I think… Hmmm… I wonder if Rachel’s parents are as gifted as she is.

Comment by Natalia – December 11, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sean Hayes could have been really good too!

Comment by Tootz – December 12, 2011 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t anyone remember the clip in the first episode that showed Rachel looking lovingly into her locker at a strip of pictures of her with her gay dads?! Am i the only one who thinks it would be wrong for them to cast anyone else? Glee already has major continuity issues without this one too…

Comment by Antonia – December 12, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not if they went in get a Jewish looking guy and a black guy.

Comment by mcu – December 12, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam Pascal, though age wise, it would be questionable, would be OUTSTANDING!!!!!! and perfect!!

Comment by Jacqueline – December 12, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You don’t have to cast a mixed race couple. Idris Elba and Jessie L Martin. Both very hot and both extremely accomplished actors. They would make an amazing couple.

Comment by JFritsch62 – December 12, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t Rachel have a picture of her dads in Season 1? Use those guys.

Comment by neener – December 12, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Barrowman!!!!!!!!!!! There’s no one better!!

Comment by Lacey – December 12, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Jack from will n grace

Comment by leslie – December 12, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they showed a pic of rachels dads in season one when she opens up her locker i dont remember the episode its from and i cant find anything online p.s. they r both white and one is wearing glasses then someone walks up behind her and ask whos that and she replies my gay dads then she goes on to explain that they put their sperm into a container and shook it up or something like that this is around the time they first introduce shelby carcoran

Comment by salsan – December 12, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Technically her fathers aren’t unseen. We have already seen a photo of them during a visual gag. In the pilot Rachel says, “I am not homophobic. In fact, I have two gay dads. See, I was born out of love. My two dads screened potential surrogates based on beauty and IQ. Then they mixed their sperm together and used a turkey baster. To this day we don’t know which one is my real dad, which I think is pretty amazing.” and then you see a photo of her with her fathers and they are clearly an interracial couple, thus showing the naivety of Rachel possibly her fathers. Obviously this was a long time ago and they are unlikely to maintain the original father castings from that photo, but I thought it was worth noting we have seen her fathers.

I have to admit I would love to see Nathan Lane or John Barrowman as her white daddy but the Renthead in me would probably die of excitement if her fathers included Anthony Rapp or Adam Pascal and Taye Diggs or Wilson Jermaine Heredia!

Comment by HJG – December 12, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isaiah Washington was kicked off Grey´s anatomy set because of his homophobic comments so I doubt he would agree to take this role…just a thought :)

Comment by Monika – December 12, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about casting the 2 original guys that are in the pictures Rachel has in her locker in Season 1? Shouldn’t they look like them? Why cast two people completely different??

Comment by Kristine – December 12, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not voting any of the above. True Gleeks will want the ORIGINAL dads that were shown in the plot. It’s so fitting with the original tone of season 1 and if they really have to go and cast some big name star for her dads like they did with John Schneider as Sam’s (though I did squee) then I will throw a fit :/

Comment by Dena – December 12, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They Already Casted Them In The First Episode, They Showed Photobooth Pictures Of All Them And Rachel Together. Even Though I LOVE David Tennant And John Barrowman And Taye Diggs As Actors.

Comment by Raynne – December 12, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BARROWMAN FOR PRESI….oh wait…I mean DADDY!!! ^o^

Comment by Michael – December 13, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs & Adam Pascal would be perfect!!!!

Comment by mariah – December 13, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. John Barrowman. Absolutely. Without a doubt no question asked.

Comment by Priya – December 15, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show, it is among my 4 top favorites… But to get back to the point, I personally think that Stanley Tucci off of the movie Burlesque would make a perfect fit for the show he is a great actor and I think Rachel kinda resembles him, not that that has anything to do with it cuz she is adopted but still, I can amagine him on the show. I don’t really know who John Barrowman is but everyone is seeming to go with him so yeah Stanley Tucci and John Barrowman for the DADS! :-P

Comment by bailey – December 29, 2011 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ru Paul and Nathan Lane funniest couple ever!!

Comment by b-line – January 5, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, I miss that show!

Comment by CC – January 5, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Конеш, будет Хью Джекман какого-то пидараса играть, как же….

Comment by Ammy – January 17, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought they already had her dads cast from the first season? Where like we first met her and all that?

Comment by Jordan – January 18, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post