Rachel's Gay Dads on Glee: Let's Cast 'Em!

Get More: Casting News, News

Rachel’s gay dads are finally making their way to Glee later this season.

An insider has confirmed EW.com’s scoop that the show is ready to pull the trigger on introducing Rachel’s oft-referred-to-but-never-seen interracial parents.

Naturally, the stunt casting possibilities are endless. Here are 16 of our favorite possibilities (split evenly by race). Vote for your fave in each of the two categories and then let the universe take it from there.

Glee Tackling Michael Jackson Songbook: 5 Songs The Show Must Cover (And 5 to Avoid)

Tags: ,

Comments (254)

• RuPaul and Hugh Jackman! Does no one else see THAT epic combo??????

Comment by gabrielle – December 8, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RuPaul and Barry Bostwick

Comment by jrp001 – December 8, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for Isiah Washington – after the flap with Greys Anatomy – It would be a great way for him to repent by being a positive gay black character – I think he is a brilliant actor and a lot was lost when on GA when he was given the hook.

Comment by Winslow – December 8, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wayne Brady and Neil Patrick Harris. I know NPH has been on the show but he could be the twin brother of Will’s rival.

Comment by Mimsy – December 8, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • as much as I love NPH, wouldn’t Rachel have been like “Wait, that guy looks like my dad” last season? Also, NPH’s character was similar in age as Mr. Shu, I’m assuming Rachel’s pa is a bit older.

Comment by Jess – December 9, 2011 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should go with character actors like they did with Kurt’s dad so we get a real story about Rachel and not a stunt.

Comment by Laure – December 8, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true. Rachel dads need to be more that a one scene addition to this show. Character actors should have filled these part in season 1.

Comment by Joe – December 12, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse Martin and Hugh Jackman
    or
    Jesse Martin and John Barrowman (from Torchwood)

Comment by Joanne – December 8, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ode to Rent: Taye/Adam

Comment by Andrew – December 8, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harvey Fierstein all the way. Why? One, he’s a freaking genius. Two, it makes complete and total sense that Rachel Berry’s father would be someone with a personality like Harvey Fierstein’s: whip-smart, self-confident, and totally doting.

Comment by Jesse – December 8, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it was stated that they were an interacial couple, but I would love to see Dlyan Walsh and Julian McManon, Sean and Christian from Murphys other show Nip/Tuck playing Rachel’s dads.

Comment by Randy – December 8, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I WOULD DIE! Julian McMahon can sing you know so I’ll take him since Dylan Walsh is on that CBS show.

Comment by Deena – December 8, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since Dylan is busy with Unforgettable, he probably wouldn’t be available, but that combo would be amazing LOL I *would* really love to see Julian as Dad #2, though. I’ve missed him on my TV so much, plus he already has a great rapport with Ryan Murphy.

Comment by SW – December 8, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since Adam Pascal already has experience playing a gay dad in the independent film, “American Primative”, I’d say he’s the best choice for one of Rachel’s fathers.

Comment by anonymous – December 8, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Had to go with Jesse L Martin because he looks more like her dads in Season 1. Second choice would be Taye because of Idina of course.
    I don’t really know about her other dad. I always kind of thought of Peter Jacobson from House because he’s short and has a big nose. Though I hate Taub and I wouldn’t be able to not think of him.

On a side note, I will be devastated if their names are not Leroy and Hiram.

Comment by Somebody – December 8, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t we actually see her fathers in the pilot (or at least one of the first episodes)… not in person, but at least on photos together with Rachel, where she is commenting that it’s to this day not clear who of the two actually her biological dad is…
    But in the spirit of playing, I agree with some of the previous posters, Diggs/Barrowman would be a fun combination… maybe slightly over the top, but what in Glee isn’t? ;-)

Comment by Niki – December 8, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, there was a small passport sized photo of her 2 dad’s in her locker. They both looked kinda dorky….definitely could cast character actors in the roles. However, if they are just going to be on the graduation episode, then, I say ‘go BIG’ and cast some really cool guests – as long as the episode is more about the kids and not them.

Comment by angie – December 9, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs and John Barrowman

Comment by Brittany – December 8, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only stunt casting I will take. Since day one I have said it needs to be these two. I do hope Lea Michele gets eponine in Le Mis and we are set with Hugh! Please Ryan Murphy make it happen

Comment by Liz – December 8, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just to note, but while not seen in the flesh, both of Rachel’s fathers were shown in a picture in her locker in season 1. That means that they have chosen these actors a long time ago. If it’s anyone other then these two, I’m not gonna be impressed.

Comment by Nara – December 8, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The white father needs to be someone really Jewish. She talks about being Jewish all the time and the black Dad is probably not the Jewish one.

Comment by Stella Grace – December 8, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She might TALK about being Jewish, but she has never once mentioned observing the Jewish religious holidays or whether she had a bat mitzvah, and she does all the Christmas stuff at the Christmas special episodes without one objection to why the club doesn’t do any Hanukkah stuff, so she doesn’t actually seem at all observant.

Comment by Viola – December 8, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She did mention in the x-mas episode her plans for Christmas was eating Chinese and watching the Main Event. She also told FInn she didn’t usually give -x-mas presents.

Comment by Joan – December 12, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isaiah Washington?? LMFAO Oh Ausiello you and your quick wit

Comment by Ed – December 8, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, Michael, epic fail on your part for not including John Barrowman as a choice for the caucasian partner. He would be BEYOND perfect! I think I might have to go for Jesse Martin as the other Dad just because the Taye-Idina connection is just a bit obvious a choice.

Comment by Tracy – December 8, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for RuPaul and Adam Pascal. I think Ru would be hilarious on Glee.

Comment by Ed – December 8, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on Taye Diggs and Adam Pascal!!!!! it will be Rent reunion!!! plus those AMAZING voices!!!! add that Taye is Idina’s real life love… best choices ever!

Comment by Melissa – December 8, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember her dads have to be old enough to have adopted a baby together 17/18 years ago. Some of these guys would have only been in their early/mid 20s then.

Comment by Anna – December 8, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They didn’t adopt a baby. They paid Shelby to surragate using sperm provided by them.

Comment by CC – December 8, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is not Mister America!!!!
    I think they should go for some weird characters… if Rachel parents were so cool, she would be fit in the high.school much better… but she is a weird girl in many senses… overprotected so this is my two coins…

For the white character we should look a very affeminate father… like Nathan Lane or the guy who stole the tony from Tony Flags…

For the other character, Rupaul is the perfect character in my opinion

By the way, Rachel is jews, so from the previous actors, Neither Hackman, McCormark or Gere fits so much… and they are way to young for Rachel…

Comment by Jose – December 8, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUGH AND TAYE! Oh my gosh I need that in my life like burning. An they even already have an in with Taye through Idina! Make it happen, Ryan Murphy!!

Comment by Mariclaire – December 8, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All for John Barrowman but I would like at least one actor (if not two) who are not over the top stereotypical gay (John is pretty good)Crazy doesn’t need to be “gay gay”.

Comment by guest – December 8, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs and John Barrowman. Haven’t they both said they want to be on Glee? Taye would be perfect and the inside joke of it would be hilarious and John Barrowman is just awesome.

Comment by Lissa – December 8, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just really hope that the men they cast play real people versus caricatures. And also, it’s about fraking time! They really missed out on some great storylines/opportunities so far by ignoring this men.

Comment by Liz – December 8, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Taye Diggs and Nathan Fillion! Michael C. Hall would be a great choice too.

Isaiah Washington doesn’t even deserve a chance to redeem himself, as far as I’m concerned the guy can rot in hell for all I care.

Comment by Monkeyrat – December 8, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael C Hall!

Comment by Matt – December 8, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Barrowman!

Comment by Jen – December 8, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People’s wishlists have been including Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman for awhile now, and though I’m 100% on board for that…

Since Ryan Murphy has worked with them both in the past, I’ll say RuPaul (Popular) and Oliver Platt (Nip/Tuck).

Comment by Winnie – December 8, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad they already wasted Cheyenne Jackson in that tiny role last season because this part would have been SO good for him.

Comment by Deena – December 8, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yea i’m still pissed that they had Cheyanne Jackson but didn’t have him sing! WTF?!?!?!?!? If they cast singers as Rachel’s Dad, they BETTER have some solos dammit!

Comment by jess – December 9, 2011 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Michael Higgins and Michael McKeon (the gay couple from Best in Show).

Comment by Joel – December 8, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another vote for John Barrowman and Taye Diggs. Refuse to vote in poll until Barrowman is an option. Please add him!

Comment by caroline – December 8, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d literally kill to watch Nathan Lane on Glee

Comment by Valeria Kementari – December 8, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Malcolm Barrett and just for fun Hugh Jackman.

Comment by Amber – December 8, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman are my choices

Ohhhhhh look at that they are leading the voting bring it on.

Comment by aussie – December 8, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always thought Craig Bierko would be great, he’s got the Broadway chops, the TV experience, he’s Jewish, and I feel like he’d fit into the Glee universe well. Norbert Leo Butz was a great suggestion as well, or maybe Douglas Hodge, he’d be awesome.

Jesse L. Martin is a flawless suggestion for one of Rachel’s dad. My #1 choice would probably be Norm Lewis though. Or maybe Lenny Kravitz, especially with The Hunger Games coming out, he could be transitioning into a very successful acting career — there’s something about his screen presence I like, and he can obviously sing. Rachel would have one smoking hot dad with any of these actors though, good grief. (Taye’s amazing, but too young for this particular role IMO.)

Comment by Kate – December 8, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, Craig Bierko–another good one! He’s fantastic. People are coming up with such great suggestions.

Comment by Deena – December 9, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are only two people that I would want to be Rachel’s dads: Zach Braff and Donald Faison

Comment by Joseph – December 8, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now THAT would be hilarious. Do you think they’re old enough, though? Isn’t Zach in his 30s? I think my vote (for the moment) is for Jesse Martin and John Barrowman.

Comment by Ace – December 8, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO! If only!

Comment by Deena – December 9, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • haha! Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman have always been Rachels dream dads for me so glad im not the only one to think so.

Comment by Jake – December 8, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they cast anybody besides Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick they’ll miss a golden opportunity.

Comment by Joe – December 8, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs and Nathan Lane

Comment by Donna – December 8, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am amazed that no one has mentioned Bryan Batt. Before Mad Med he was best known for Broadway musicals. He is gay, Jewish and has an amazing voice. Perfect for dad #2.

Comment by Peggy – December 8, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can Adam Pascal not have more votes? Do you people know who he is? He starred in Rent and Aida and he is an incredible singer! Plus, he’s hot! Check him out on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hloIgAU6I0o

Comment by Kat – December 8, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I ADORE Adam, I just have trouble picturing him as Rachel’s dad, lol.

Comment by J – December 8, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d also include Wayne Brady as a choice for Dad #1. and Sean Hayes for Dad #2.

My 1st choice was Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman. I think TD is more than likely willing since his wife Idina has enjoyed her experience on Glee so much.

If not, Hugh, then my second choice was Eric McCormack.

Comment by AngieD – December 8, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, as much as I love Taye Diggs, he is under contract with ABC…he would be awesome as Rachel’s dad, but he is already on another TV show. John Barrowman and Jesse L. Martin are my picks…can you get a more awesome duo?

Comment by gleek – December 8, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure people under contract with networks can guest on other networks’ shows as long as their network allows it. There’s got to be at least one actor in the history of television who’s been on two networks at once.

Comment by Captain – December 8, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idris Elba and Hugh Jackman would make the HOTTEST das ever. I know Lea wants Nathan Lane (I think?). Harry Connick Jr and Taye Diggs would be second hottest couple.

Comment by J – December 8, 2011 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lea has mentioned a few different choices for dads..so really no clear one on her part.

Comment by kim – December 12, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs and Eric McCormack would be amazing!

Comment by Captain – December 8, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see John Barrowman play one of her dads! If not him, Erc McCormack would be great.

Comment by Marc – December 8, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JOHN BARROWMAN NEEDS TO BE ON THIS LIST.

Comment by Evelyn – December 8, 2011 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the John Barrowman idea. Also, saw Eric McCormack on the list. What about Sean Hayes?

Comment by Snsetblaze – December 8, 2011 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post