Rachel's Gay Dads on Glee: Let's Cast 'Em!

Rachel’s gay dads are finally making their way to Glee later this season.

An insider has confirmed EW.com’s scoop that the show is ready to pull the trigger on introducing Rachel’s oft-referred-to-but-never-seen interracial parents.

Naturally, the stunt casting possibilities are endless. Here are 16 of our favorite possibilities (split evenly by race). Vote for your fave in each of the two categories and then let the universe take it from there.

Glee Tackling Michael Jackson Songbook: 5 Songs The Show Must Cover (And 5 to Avoid)

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News

1. gabrielle says:

RuPaul and Hugh Jackman! Does no one else see THAT epic combo??????

2. jrp001 says:

RuPaul and Barry Bostwick

3. Winslow says:

I vote for Isiah Washington – after the flap with Greys Anatomy – It would be a great way for him to repent by being a positive gay black character – I think he is a brilliant actor and a lot was lost when on GA when he was given the hook.

4. Mimsy says:

Wayne Brady and Neil Patrick Harris. I know NPH has been on the show but he could be the twin brother of Will’s rival.

• Jess says:

as much as I love NPH, wouldn’t Rachel have been like “Wait, that guy looks like my dad” last season? Also, NPH’s character was similar in age as Mr. Shu, I’m assuming Rachel’s pa is a bit older.

5. Laure says:

I think they should go with character actors like they did with Kurt’s dad so we get a real story about Rachel and not a stunt.

• Joe says:

So true. Rachel dads need to be more that a one scene addition to this show. Character actors should have filled these part in season 1.

6. Joanne says:

Jesse Martin and Hugh Jackman
    or
    Jesse Martin and John Barrowman (from Torchwood)

7. Andrew says:

Ode to Rent: Taye/Adam

8. Jesse says:

Harvey Fierstein all the way. Why? One, he’s a freaking genius. Two, it makes complete and total sense that Rachel Berry’s father would be someone with a personality like Harvey Fierstein’s: whip-smart, self-confident, and totally doting.

9. Randy says:

I know it was stated that they were an interacial couple, but I would love to see Dlyan Walsh and Julian McManon, Sean and Christian from Murphys other show Nip/Tuck playing Rachel’s dads.

• Deena says:

I WOULD DIE! Julian McMahon can sing you know so I’ll take him since Dylan Walsh is on that CBS show.

• SW says:

Since Dylan is busy with Unforgettable, he probably wouldn’t be available, but that combo would be amazing LOL I *would* really love to see Julian as Dad #2, though. I’ve missed him on my TV so much, plus he already has a great rapport with Ryan Murphy.

10. anonymous says:

Since Adam Pascal already has experience playing a gay dad in the independent film, “American Primative”, I’d say he’s the best choice for one of Rachel’s fathers.

11. Somebody says:

Had to go with Jesse L Martin because he looks more like her dads in Season 1. Second choice would be Taye because of Idina of course.
    I don’t really know about her other dad. I always kind of thought of Peter Jacobson from House because he’s short and has a big nose. Though I hate Taub and I wouldn’t be able to not think of him.

On a side note, I will be devastated if their names are not Leroy and Hiram.

12. Niki says:

Didn’t we actually see her fathers in the pilot (or at least one of the first episodes)… not in person, but at least on photos together with Rachel, where she is commenting that it’s to this day not clear who of the two actually her biological dad is…
    But in the spirit of playing, I agree with some of the previous posters, Diggs/Barrowman would be a fun combination… maybe slightly over the top, but what in Glee isn’t? ;-)

• angie says:

Yes, there was a small passport sized photo of her 2 dad’s in her locker. They both looked kinda dorky….definitely could cast character actors in the roles. However, if they are just going to be on the graduation episode, then, I say ‘go BIG’ and cast some really cool guests – as long as the episode is more about the kids and not them.

13. Brittany says:

Taye Diggs and John Barrowman

14. Liz says:

Only stunt casting I will take. Since day one I have said it needs to be these two. I do hope Lea Michele gets eponine in Le Mis and we are set with Hugh! Please Ryan Murphy make it happen

15. Nara says:

Just to note, but while not seen in the flesh, both of Rachel’s fathers were shown in a picture in her locker in season 1. That means that they have chosen these actors a long time ago. If it’s anyone other then these two, I’m not gonna be impressed.

16. Stella Grace says:

The white father needs to be someone really Jewish. She talks about being Jewish all the time and the black Dad is probably not the Jewish one.

• Viola says:

She might TALK about being Jewish, but she has never once mentioned observing the Jewish religious holidays or whether she had a bat mitzvah, and she does all the Christmas stuff at the Christmas special episodes without one objection to why the club doesn’t do any Hanukkah stuff, so she doesn’t actually seem at all observant.

• Joan says:

She did mention in the x-mas episode her plans for Christmas was eating Chinese and watching the Main Event. She also told FInn she didn’t usually give -x-mas presents.

17. Ed says:

Isaiah Washington?? LMFAO Oh Ausiello you and your quick wit

18. Tracy says:

OMG, Michael, epic fail on your part for not including John Barrowman as a choice for the caucasian partner. He would be BEYOND perfect! I think I might have to go for Jesse Martin as the other Dad just because the Taye-Idina connection is just a bit obvious a choice.

19. Ed says:

I voted for RuPaul and Adam Pascal. I think Ru would be hilarious on Glee.

20. Melissa says:

Come on Taye Diggs and Adam Pascal!!!!! it will be Rent reunion!!! plus those AMAZING voices!!!! add that Taye is Idina’s real life love… best choices ever!

21. Anna says:

Remember her dads have to be old enough to have adopted a baby together 17/18 years ago. Some of these guys would have only been in their early/mid 20s then.

22. Jose says:

This is not Mister America!!!!
    I think they should go for some weird characters… if Rachel parents were so cool, she would be fit in the high.school much better… but she is a weird girl in many senses… overprotected so this is my two coins…

For the white character we should look a very affeminate father… like Nathan Lane or the guy who stole the tony from Tony Flags…

For the other character, Rupaul is the perfect character in my opinion

By the way, Rachel is jews, so from the previous actors, Neither Hackman, McCormark or Gere fits so much… and they are way to young for Rachel…

23. Mariclaire says:

HUGH AND TAYE! Oh my gosh I need that in my life like burning. An they even already have an in with Taye through Idina! Make it happen, Ryan Murphy!!

24. guest says:

All for John Barrowman but I would like at least one actor (if not two) who are not over the top stereotypical gay (John is pretty good)Crazy doesn’t need to be “gay gay”.

25. Lissa says:

Taye Diggs and John Barrowman. Haven’t they both said they want to be on Glee? Taye would be perfect and the inside joke of it would be hilarious and John Barrowman is just awesome.

26. Liz says:

I just really hope that the men they cast play real people versus caricatures. And also, it’s about fraking time! They really missed out on some great storylines/opportunities so far by ignoring this men.

27. Monkeyrat says:

Definitely Taye Diggs and Nathan Fillion! Michael C. Hall would be a great choice too.

Isaiah Washington doesn’t even deserve a chance to redeem himself, as far as I’m concerned the guy can rot in hell for all I care.

28. Matt says:

Michael C Hall!

29. Jen says:

John Barrowman!

30. Winnie says:

People’s wishlists have been including Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman for awhile now, and though I’m 100% on board for that…

Since Ryan Murphy has worked with them both in the past, I’ll say RuPaul (Popular) and Oliver Platt (Nip/Tuck).

31. Deena says:

Too bad they already wasted Cheyenne Jackson in that tiny role last season because this part would have been SO good for him.

• jess says:

yea i’m still pissed that they had Cheyanne Jackson but didn’t have him sing! WTF?!?!?!?!? If they cast singers as Rachel’s Dad, they BETTER have some solos dammit!

32. Joel says:

John Michael Higgins and Michael McKeon (the gay couple from Best in Show).

33. caroline says:

Another vote for John Barrowman and Taye Diggs. Refuse to vote in poll until Barrowman is an option. Please add him!

34. I’d literally kill to watch Nathan Lane on Glee

35. Amber says:

Malcolm Barrett and just for fun Hugh Jackman.

36. aussie says:

Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman are my choices

Ohhhhhh look at that they are leading the voting bring it on.

37. Kate says:

I’ve always thought Craig Bierko would be great, he’s got the Broadway chops, the TV experience, he’s Jewish, and I feel like he’d fit into the Glee universe well. Norbert Leo Butz was a great suggestion as well, or maybe Douglas Hodge, he’d be awesome.

Jesse L. Martin is a flawless suggestion for one of Rachel’s dad. My #1 choice would probably be Norm Lewis though. Or maybe Lenny Kravitz, especially with The Hunger Games coming out, he could be transitioning into a very successful acting career — there’s something about his screen presence I like, and he can obviously sing. Rachel would have one smoking hot dad with any of these actors though, good grief. (Taye’s amazing, but too young for this particular role IMO.)

38. Joseph says:

There are only two people that I would want to be Rachel’s dads: Zach Braff and Donald Faison

39. Jake says:

haha! Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman have always been Rachels dream dads for me so glad im not the only one to think so.

40. Joe says:

If they cast anybody besides Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick they’ll miss a golden opportunity.

41. Donna says:

Taye Diggs and Nathan Lane

42. Peggy says:

I am amazed that no one has mentioned Bryan Batt. Before Mad Med he was best known for Broadway musicals. He is gay, Jewish and has an amazing voice. Perfect for dad #2.

43. Kat says:

How can Adam Pascal not have more votes? Do you people know who he is? He starred in Rent and Aida and he is an incredible singer! Plus, he’s hot! Check him out on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hloIgAU6I0o

44. AngieD says:

I’d also include Wayne Brady as a choice for Dad #1. and Sean Hayes for Dad #2.

My 1st choice was Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman. I think TD is more than likely willing since his wife Idina has enjoyed her experience on Glee so much.

If not, Hugh, then my second choice was Eric McCormack.

45. gleek says:

Ok, as much as I love Taye Diggs, he is under contract with ABC…he would be awesome as Rachel’s dad, but he is already on another TV show. John Barrowman and Jesse L. Martin are my picks…can you get a more awesome duo?

• Captain says:

I’m pretty sure people under contract with networks can guest on other networks’ shows as long as their network allows it. There’s got to be at least one actor in the history of television who’s been on two networks at once.

46. J says:

Idris Elba and Hugh Jackman would make the HOTTEST das ever. I know Lea wants Nathan Lane (I think?). Harry Connick Jr and Taye Diggs would be second hottest couple.

47. Captain says:

Taye Diggs and Eric McCormack would be amazing!

48. Marc says:

I would love to see John Barrowman play one of her dads! If not him, Erc McCormack would be great.

49. Evelyn says:

JOHN BARROWMAN NEEDS TO BE ON THIS LIST.

50. Snsetblaze says:

Love the John Barrowman idea. Also, saw Eric McCormack on the list. What about Sean Hayes?