Rachel's Gay Dads on Glee: Let's Cast 'Em!

Rachel’s gay dads are finally making their way to Glee later this season.

An insider has confirmed EW.com’s scoop that the show is ready to pull the trigger on introducing Rachel’s oft-referred-to-but-never-seen interracial parents.

Naturally, the stunt casting possibilities are endless. Here are 16 of our favorite possibilities (split evenly by race). Vote for your fave in each of the two categories and then let the universe take it from there.

Glee Tackling Michael Jackson Songbook: 5 Songs The Show Must Cover (And 5 to Avoid)

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News

1. Linda says:

Prince & Hugh Jackman. OTP!

2. Karen MT says:

Yes! I voted for Jesse, but I was torn between him and Taye. Now that I think about it, Taye would be awesome on multiple levels. Rachel’s parents would really be married!

3. Susan says:

Peter Gallagher really, really needs to be on that list.

4. Juan says:

I chose RuPaul and Broderick because.. I’m sorry, but I would find the height difference comical in itself.

5. Lyria says:

Jesse L. Martin and Eric McCormack for me. They look like guys who would have made that stapled together Lady Gaga stuffed animal dress. And I loooooooove Jesse’s voice!

• Juan says:

You are right, they do look like they would have made that dress and they should totally cast two guys that look like they would have made that dress.

• Kvivik says:

I also voted for this pair because they are both song-and-dance men whom I can see bringing up Rachel to take on broadway.
      My second choices are Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman. They would work too.

• yep says:

My exact same thoughts. Jesse is an awesome singer but so is Taye and he is married in real life to Idina Menzel. Hugh Jackman is awesome too. excellent choices.

• Kate says:

Totally picked these two too!! Nearly went for the whole Rent parentaling but I was too excited at the thought of Eric back on TV!

• Lime says:

Totally my picks. Brain twins!

• SW says:

Yep, these are the two I voted for as well. I think Eric would be absolutely perfect in the role.

• MichelleR says:

That was my combo, too — they seem like a couple. But someone mentioned John Barrowman and so now I want to substitute.

6. Elle says:

Taye Diggs and Eric McCormack

7. Joel says:

It’s about time. Calling Hugh Jackman and Taye Diggs!

• sam says:

agree 110%!!!

• aussie says:

totally agree calling mr diggs and mr jackman.

If i remember rightly Taye did have a tongue in cheek comment on twitter about Glee, has he already been approached? damn hope so.

• Julianna says:

Taye and Hugh would be perfect. Also, that inside joke (of Rachel’s mom being married in RL to one of her dads) is too much to resist. Maybe they could even mention some tongue-in-cheek comment about that!

8. Mike says:

Lem and Phil from Better of Ted

9. Me says:

I was going to vote John Barrowman but he was not on the list :(

10. Lauren says:

John Barrowman for Dad #2! He’s talked to producers in the past about it, and he can sing/is a musical theater vet!! Not to mention he’s hilarious and handsome! So sign him up already, Murphy!

11. KSM says:

Seriously, Taye Diggs would be phenomenal. If I remember correctly, he even kind of looked like the guy in the picture of her dads from Season 1.

12. miriam says:

Surely John Barrowman should be an option??? He would be perfect!

13. Mark says:

While all these choices are great, I’d highly suggest Sam Harris from Broadway and Star Search.

14. Alexia says:

Where is John Barrowman in the listing? He should be on the top of the list!

15. Ebony says:

For Dad #1 I’m all for either Taye Diggs or Jesse L. Martin. But for Dad #2 I would like to submit a write-in candidate by the name of John Barrowman AKA Capt. Jack Harkness. I’ve read that quite a number of people would love to see him as one of Rachel’s dads and I completely, whole-heartedly agree. He would be perfect! And he has the background to go with it. John Barrowman for the win :-)

16. rush says:

it will be too wierd if taye was to play one of her fathers, i mean idina is already playing her mom. seriously, too wierd. i voted for eric macormack, though i have to say i didnt see matthew brodericks name, he should definatly play one of the dads. as for the other dad,i dunno…..

17. Brad says:

Who is this Barrowman people keep mentioning?

18. O'Brien says:

Taye and Harry. Both musical and ridiculously good-looking (plus I love the idea of a Taye/Idina scene!).

19. Melissa says:

I like Jesse or Taye (Jesse seems more realistic since Taye’s busy with his own show) and Adam Pascal. That way all of Rachel’s parents are from Rent.

• Sam says:

Yes! I had such a hard time choosing between Jesse and Taye because of Rent. Another cast member would be awesome.

• Maxsmom says:

I voted for Taye who has expressed interest in joining the cast and Adam Pascal because I have listened to the Rent soundtrack 525,600 times. I am not sure why the men had to be divided by race because I could also see Taye and Jesse or Anthony and Adam or Wilson basically any 2 guys from Rent and there’s always the Rachel’s bio dad.

20. Jon says:

Taye Diggs would be a weird choice seeing how his wife plays her mom

21. T says:

I would LOVE the dual tie in of Taye really being married to Idina and the nod to WAG with him and Eric McCormack as a couple again!! That would be awesome. Harry Connick Jr Bacon Cheeseburger would be amazing too. And he’s got great comic timing, once again thank you WAG.

22. Ben says:

Christopher Sieber has been my choice for one of them since the start.

23. Millo says:

Hugh Jackman and Taye Diggs.Plus, Taye is married to Idina( Rachel’s mom)!

24. Theo says:

Wow. How hilarious is this…

25. h says:

Taye Diggs and eric mcCormack to be an item again would be so much fun!!

26. Talia says:

Taye Diggs is non negotiable. But I’m not loving any of these choices for Dad #2– How about John Barrowman? Or manybe Sean Maher (although he’s a little young…)?

• Talia says:

I find it hilarious that in the time it took this to post, a dozen other people mentioned John Barrowman. Write in candidate?

27. Kristi says:

I’m throwing my hat in the ring for John Barrowman as Dad #1 and Hugh Jackman as Dad #2.

28. marti says:

Jackman i Diggs! HOTNESS!

29. Jenn says:

Taye Diggs and Eric McCormack….it’d be weird to see them reunited since they were a couple for a bit on Will & Grace (Taye was a Canadian who “married” Grace to stay in the U.S., dated Will, and turned out to be a jerk who stole cabs from nurses! It’s sad I remember this!) I also love the idea of him being married to Idina Menzel in real life. And the kicker, I could look at him all day! The man is stunning! I don’t care who the other dad is!

30. S1monetz says:

OMG AUSSSS….TYE DIGGS AND ADAM PASCAL…..WITH IDINA MENZEL……………………………………………RENT REUNION!!!!

31. Julie says:

I voted for Jesse Martin and Eric McCormack…but then I took everyone’s advice and looked up John Barrowman. GET THIS MAN ON GLEE!!! How awesome is he! Jesse Martin and John Barrowman, FTW!

32. Louise says:

Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick please, or John Barrowman and Hugh Jackman. Either of these combos would be nice

33. Sam says:

Adam Pascal but not Anthony Rapp? That’s disappointing.

34. valerie says:

How oh how could you not have included John Barrowman?? He’s perfect. Great actor, he sings, he’s proudly out.

And, he has expressed interest in the part.

35. Espy says:

Just based on my hazy memory of the first episode. Rachel’s white dad was kind of nerdy. I think that most of the choices are way too beefcake. I know the better off ted comment was a joke but Jonathan Slavin (Phil) really is an awesome choice.
    Also Taye Diggs or Jesse L. Martin (I voted for Jesse cause I think that ABC’s not going to let Taye Diggs do it)

36. Anna says:

Taye and Adam, for the sake of the Rent inside joke. Considering Idina Menzel is Rachel’s mother, it would be fitting.

37. Wweiss says:

How about Norbert Leo Butz! He would be perfect and keep the Wicked cast showing!

• dan says:

Great singer! And he has that “nerdy” quality that Rachel’s picture from Season one seemed to convey (see Espy’s comment above).

38. Stacey says:

I want it to Taye Diggs and Hugh Jackman. But Hugh Jackson will be super busy. And Taye Diggs as Private Practice, and I doubt ABC will let him appear on Glee. Even though his real life wife plays Rachel’s biological mother. Imagine if Shelby would appear in the same episode…

Also, maybe if Lea got role of Eponine in Les Miserables Movie that she has auditioned for… Hugh who is going to be in the movie; can do a small role. Depending on when they shoot the Glee episode… Les Miserables apparently starts shooting in March!

39. Larry says:

White Collar’s Matt Bomer!

40. hatorl says:

The logical choice is John Barrowman for Dad #2! It’s a shame that you didn’t put him on the list. He would be perfect.

41. Liz says:

Definitely disappointed by the lack of John Barrowman on this pole. I 100% could believe that he’s raise a daughter like Rachel Berry.

42. Jared says:

This is so freaking exciting!

43. Nancypants says:

I think either Michael C. Hall (yes, Dexter Morgan himself…he’s a great singer too! ) or John Barrowman as one half of the interracial couple, and Taye Diggs.

44. RCH says:

What? No Anthony Rapp as an option? If you’re going to include the ENTIRE original cast of RENT, it seems only fair that you include him. And Wilson Jermaine Heredia. I mean, let’s exercise all of our options here, TV Line.

45. D says:

Shemar Moore and Matthew Gray Gubler! lol :P

46. Jim says:

Where is Michael C. Hall?

47. bloomsburyboy says:

JOHN BARROWMAN!!!

48. Larry says:

I voted for Taye Diggs and Eric McCormack. Although I would love to see Hugh on Glee -he’s too big a star and would totally overpower the other father. Taye and Eric are a good pairing and are both great character actors -which puts them on equal footing. I just wish Taye didn’t already work for ABC -because Disney will never allow him to guest due to his contract with Private Practice.

49. Amanda says:

Taye Diggs & Adam Pascal would be perfection. Sex on a Rent stick!

50. Jan says:

You need Michael C. Hall on this list! He’s a great singer and would be nice addition to Glee.