Ratings: Controversial How I Met Your Mother Delivers a High, Five-0 Handcuffs Castle

Love it or hate this week’s particular “Let me tell ya, kids” framing device, How I Met Your Mother — which dealt with the aftermath of Robin telling Barney she thinks she’s pregnant — scored its largest audience for a regularly scheduled episode since Jan. 12, 2009 (!), drawing 11.71 million total viewers (up 17 percent with those Dancing stars out of the way).

The CBS comedy was also up a tenth in the demo, hitting a 4.5 rating.

How I Met Your Mother Recap: Baby Steps

The night’s other big headline is that for what appears to be the first time this season, CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 copped wins over Castle in both the demo (3.0 vs. 2.0) and in total viewers (10.8 mil vs. 8.05 mil), as the ABC drama dropped 13 and 26 percent, respectively, from its last fresh episode.

Castle Gets ‘Cuffed': We Unlock the Best Quotes

All told, CBS won every Monday half hour in both viewers and among the coveted 18-49 crowd.

Elsewhere on the night….

* 2 Broke Girls built on Mother’s numbers, delivering 12.8 million total viewers (up 13 percent) and a 4.6 rating. Two and a Half Men went on to do 15 mil and a 5.0 (down a smidgen on both counts), while Mike & Molly (12.74 mil/4.2) was flat.

* Starting the night for ABC, A Charlie Brown Christmas (9 mil/2.8) was up 13 and 8 percent versus a year ago, followed by the premiere of Prep & Landing 2 (7 mil/2.2). The game show You Deserve It (3.6 mil/1.0) continued to plunge, this week to the tune of 18 and 29 percent.

* Fox’s presentation of the American Country Awards drew 7.4 mil and a 2.0, while The Sing-Off‘s holiday special played to 4.1 mil and a 1.1.

* On The CW, Gossip Girl entered the holiday break flat at 1.28 mil/0.6, while Hart of Dixie‘s own fall finale (1.8 mil/0.8) grew 14 percent in the demo.

What were you watching this Monday night?

1. docvap says:

It’s called ABC dropping the ball and not showing a promo for Castle last week. Kinda hard to maintain numbers when your own network won’t promote new episodes.

• Audrey says:

Terri E Miller said ABC admitted that they made an oopsy when they were showing Body of Proof promo after the Castle rerun last week. If ABC wasn’t even clear when a new episode will be shown, how’d they expect casual viewers to know? Boo.

• Molly says:

They showed pleanty of promos after that. They had a week to promo it and they did. During football and other shows. Stop making cheap excuses

• Nina says:

Im sorry but I saw on sunday the castle promo like 5 times so thats not to blame, they showed the promo and when it be back, now it is okay for a show to go down in ratings once they went on break or had a rerun the week before, so thats mostly to blame for but I did see alot of promos for castle.

• CastleBuffySVU says:

No they didn’t, I didn’t see one preview all week, and I watch a lot of ABC. It was their own fault. Castle was phenomenal last night, anyone who didn’t see it, really missed out.

• Brad says:

I didn’t even know there was a new episode last night. I never saw any promo for the episode.

2. Audrey says:

Sigh for Castle…

3. cher says:

wow surprising that Castle dropped. I thought Castle was really entertaining and one of its best episodes.

4. nikki says:

Castle was awesome last night! creepy lady, and some great turns. Don’t understand how it ended up doing so poorly. HIMYM was superb! very funny

• Alex says:

Castle was awesome last night, but ABC messed up bad by not promoting the episode. Instead of a promo for “Cuffed” they showed a promo for Body of Proof. As disappointing as those numbers are, I can’t say I’m not surprised since the network didn’t do a whole lot of promoting.

• Lisa says:

Did not enjoy How I Met Your Mother last night. I think the Marshal character needs something else to do other than recreate moments with his father.
      I also did not like the issue of Robin finding out she can’t have kids. It just isn’t a funny thing, no matter how you spin it.

• Max says:

I know Marshall really needs a fresh storyline (but I’ve got the feeling that with Lilly’s pregnancy there might be some funny storys to come) and the thing with Robin….HIMYM isn’t just supposed to be funny it needs it’s serious moments otherwise there would be no character development. But I really enjoyed last nights ep it was entertaining and heartbreaking

• Lisa says:

All these darn schedule interruptions just about every other week is screwing up everything. It’s ridiculous. I swear I don’t know what is new, repeat, finale’d or just on some stupid break this week.

5. Sara says:

Well, the promo not airing on both weeks on Monday was kinda crucial for the ratings. Even Andrew Marlowe wasn’t pleased for them not promoting.

6. Alex says:

Whoa, 4.5 is really high for How I Met Your Mother!

7. kevin says:

CASTLE got “cuffed” big time thanks to HAWAII FIVE-O.

8. I didn’t really like HIMYM last night. I thought the framing device was mean. We’re lead to believe all episode that somehow things work out, and Robin and Barney have this future with children, and then it turns out to be a sad fantasy. Although they leave the door open for that possibility with careful wording at the end, it’s still an irritating device and left me feeling pretty unsatisfied for the time being.

• Amanda says:

I liked it. I had already figured out before hand what her bad news was gonna be. However, I thought the kids were going to be adopted or happened through some other means, not that they just weren’t real.

• Marty says:

I thought that “gotcha” moment was put in there so we would kind of feel how Robin felt when the rug was pulled out from underneath her.

9. Ashton says:

I thought HIMYM was quite a lovely episode. Sure it wasn’t what I was expecting and no it was not a light hearted subject but it was true to the show and they handled it in a beautiful way, especially the ending with Ted and Robin. Good job HIMYM!

10. Jason says:

Anyone think Two Broke Girls is an awful show!! I really wanted to like it because of Kat Dennings and have stuck with it waitng for it to get funny. But the writing and directing and supporting cast are just bad, bad, bad. I’m surprised it is still a hit!! I think I am done with it!!

11. Brandon says:

It’s a shame Castle dipped in viewers, it was a truly wonderful episode, especially for Caskett fans! Hawaii Five-0 was great as well.

12. kathy says:

RE: Castle; I really use to love it, but this season not so much, the whole I love you after she got shot, pretending not to have heard it and so on is getting a bit old, the mean old new captain who doesn’t want Castle around has been done before.
    RE:HIMYM – OK, I know it’s a sitcom, but the minute the doctor had her come back in and told her that they ran some other tests, really? Tests? Robin goes in to have a pregnancy test, that was it, you do that by either peeing on something or they draw your blood.. there’s no ultra sound, there’s not further testing that would come up with her not being able to have kid; I think they dropped the ball on that one, and the stupid accent with the doctor bugged me. I felt a bit let down by the episode. Marshall on the roof and the kid was stupid, but I loved how Ted decorated the house and set it to ACDC. But it’s always possible that the doctor made a mistake. I have watched HIMYM since season one and I can honestly say that this episode, to me, was the most disappointing.

• CastleBuffySVU says:

I would have to say that I disagree. I think Castle has done amazing. Their episodes are always hilarious, interesting, and smart. They have made the show even greater than its first season, and that is something that I rarely see anymore. It has gone all uphill, and gotten better and better from week to week. The new captian wasn’t my favourite new change this year, but I’m starting to really like her. In ‘Cuffed’, Penny did a great job with the character, and they have definitely started to get her to fit in.
      Regarding HIMYM, I agree with most of what was said above. The Marshall storyline was very odd. I loved what Ted did at the end. Not my favourite, by far, but not the worst either. I think they’ll have to seriously build on that for the next episode.

13. Lucia says:

Castle doubled the demo of the lead in and improved the viewers 120%. With the hideous lead in ., it did amazing.
    Instead Hawaii lost the great 4.2 demo of M&M and dropped to a 3 demo. Ouch.BIG drop.
    CBS should had left CSI Miami there, I just read CSI Miami got a 3.8 demo in the same night 2 years ago. I sure liked CSI Miami, Hawaii is lame and that is why all that it gets is a 3 after a 4.2 lead in. CBS must be so happy with that move. Great improvement in the wrong direction LOL.

• Bree says:

You cant compare two years ago to now stupid. CBS has lost total viewers in that time and all shows demos are not as high as they were two years ago so even if CSI Miami were still on Monday no way would it be getting the same numbers. HFO is the number one ten pm show on any network, only a really thick person could claim that is failure.

14. Dean says:

HIMYM is the best of the CBS sitcoms. I’ve watched a few seasons of The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men (don’t ask me why) and neither of them had me emotionally invested in the characters like HIMYM does. I wasn’t impressed by last episode’s (fake) pregnancy twist but when the doctor told Robin that she was unable to conceive, I found myself rooting for her.

15. Amanda says:

Castle always goes down in the ratings when DWTS isn’t airing. It will go back up when DWTS returns. It needs the lead in to get the better ratings where H50 stands more on its own.

• GK says:

In what universe does Castle actually need a lead in?!! They didn
      t promote it and many didn’t know that a new episode was going to air.

• Sue says:

All shows need a good lead in…When 2.5 men were in repeats last season because of “Winning” Charlie Sheen, the whole CBS line up hurt even H50…What I notice about the ratings is even though Castle had a hideous lead in (You Deserve it), it doubled in ratings. H50 went down from it’s lead in of M&M. H50 needs it’s comedy pack lead in just as Castle needs Dancing with the Stars. I love both H50 and Castle and both shows are gonna get renewed, we all know this..

16. CJ says:

I actually enjoy the show and love Kat and her character. It’s not going to win an Emmy for best comedy but I enjoy it. Everyone has different tastes and opinions.

17. Jules says:

Oh why! That now every series tackle the baby drama or try to hookup their main caracters…simply PATHETIC!!!
    They knows they going straight to HELL….
    Look what happen to my favorite addiction…
    House and xfiles….not working!!
    So honestly, I rather watch any Charlie brown special or rewatching ssn1-4 of HOUSE until we back from the holidays hiatus then watch crappy CBS/NBC lineup

18. Trista says:

They should re-air the Castle episode. It was definitely worthy of a little extra promotion.

Also – kudos to Five-0. I love the show and usually watch it off my DVR. I hate Castle to lose ground, but success couldn’t be deserved more!!!

19. Jan says:

I gave up Hawaii five 0 at the start of the season. I use to watch then i saw an episode of castle and made the switch instantly! Castle marathon plssss

20. nitemar says:

ABC is terrible promoting the network shows,and new episodes, all except DWTS. Should learn from CBS.

• fernando says:

Thats why a lot of there good shows end up getting cancel, (Eastwick) for one never really had a fair chance because ABC did poor promoting the show, in fact it never showed promos once it started and only give a couple like 3 promos before it started, so I agree with you on that ABC is bad at promoting.

21. fernando says:

So happy for Hart Of Dixie, it keeps improving and the show every one thought would end up getting cancel in a few weeks is working its way up on the ratings and have been beating Ringer for like 2 or 3 weeks in ratings. So congrats to Hart Of Dixie

• cher says:

Me too! It’s rare to have such a feel good show on the air. Most get cancelled going up against the murder, revenge, and reality shows. Hope Hart of Dixie gets renewed.

• Liz says:

I agree. I love Hart of Dixie. Feel-good shows are shows like it are so few and far between these days. I hope it gets renewed for another season.

22. Elle says:

Shocked about Castle. People probably forgot it was a new episode. I watched and really enjoyed it.

DVR’d Hawaii 5 0 and really liked that as well. Loved HIMYM too. Monday is a good night for tv. I watch 2 shows and dvr a third.

23. Hojana says:

Now that Chair is over for the foreseeable future, hopefully Gossip Girl ratings pick up.

24. eridapo says:

CBS publicity deserves kudos for the way they promote their shows. I saw promos for H50, HiMYM, Unforgettable, and other shows all of last week. They promoted heavily during the SEC championship game, during the NFL games. When ABC didn’t even bother to promote their shows last week. This why OUAT, DH, and Castle have seen this weeks ratings take a dive. ABC publicity just sucks. If you are just a casual fan, you would have assume that Castle when into hiatus after Dancing with the stars. 2 new Castle episodes in 5 weeks is just poor scheduling. They should have just done the same thing they did with Greys and air all episodes in a row.

If you read Andrew and Terri’s tweets from last week, they expected ratings to take a dive. Andrew and Terri were even shocked when ABC failed to show a preview after the airing of last week’s repeat….

• Michelle says:

If Castle had been the only ABC show to suffer, then you could call it serendipity or whatever. But when ALL their important shows so far this week take a dive then I’m inclined to blame it on the crappy promotion. I watched college football on Saturday and didn’t see many promos. It’s something we should keep an eye on the rest of the week.

25. Maria says:

Oh Castle fans, stop. castle didn’t do bad because of lack of promotion or the lack of a solid lead in. Good shows aren’t supposed to need a lead in right? And ABC did promo the show well. Maybe the missed a promo after the previous episode but they showed enough promos AFTER to make up for the error. Stop with the excuses.

• vincent says:

Please! The biggest problem I see is that no one watches live shows anymore. I tend to be a week or so behind catching up with what I missed. I wouldn’t be shocked to hear Castle doing well in the DVR +7 list (or whatever they call it now.)

26. ggny says:

i got to say i havent been liking 2HM so far but last nights was really good Judy Greer needs to stay on the show full time and Rose returning was a nice move at the end

27. Aidan Williams says:

I am so happy about the Ratings for Two and a Half Men last nights episode was so funny i glad to see Rose coming back that was such a good story plot seeing Rose Traning Bridget. Well Done Chuck Lorre.

28. shadows says:

I just need to point out a couple things involving the Castle promoting:

1. The MAIN key to knowing if there’s a new episode next week for casual viewers is by the promo after the credits. ABC always shows the promo of next week’s episode, and no promo if there’s a break. That’s how I know if there’s a new episode or not and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

2. Promos during football. Great, if I watched football, which I don’t so there’s another way the promotion fails. Personally, I only watch Castle live on ABC so I don’t stick around the rest of the week to see if they show any promos when I’m not expecting them until next Monday.

Castle ratings: I’m not worried. Even though it did poorly, it’s the same as last season in December, and I’m sure it’ll pick right back with great ratings in Jan like before. I think they should have waited on Cuffed until Jan instead of showing it isolated between holiday breaks. The scheduling really didn’t do it any favors. That horrible excuse of a game show lead-in really doesn’t do the network as a whole any favors either.

Curious: What is with the competition and hostility between Castle and H50? Both are different shows and neither are ‘superior’ to the other, it’s all personal opinion. I may like Castle, but it doesn’t mean that I think H50 is crap. Can we all just be respectful and not trash each others’ opinions?

• T says:

THIS. Fabulous post. I only knew there was a new ep of Castle because I went to twitter to find out. Personally, I didn’t see a promo all week. And yes, what is the competition between shows? Watch the one you like, then chill out. Both shows have fans, so all you do is irriate someone else when you rag on their favorite show. I’m a Castle fan, but hey, I’m pretty sure those H50 actors/producers/directors/everyone else sure work awfully hard to put out a high quality show. Just the the people at Castle. Really enjoyed the ep last night, too – sorry more people didn’t have a chance to see it. So no new show until Jan.? Darn.

29. sarah says:

It is about time that my fave show Hawaii Five 0 and my hottie Alex came out on top!!!

30. vane says:

I think the only reason CBS does so good on Mondays is because thiers nothing good on TV Mondays because thoes shows sucks except for himym bt even that’s getting old to be honest

31. Paul says:

Why does ABC consistently insist on destroying their hit shows?

32. Olivia says:

Loved last nights episode of Hawaii 5-0. Just wish they would get rid of Lauren Germans character.

33. Mike says:

Castle needs DWTS. That’s a given fact. Even with DWTS the Castle ratings aren’t anything to brag about. Their key demo average sucks. It has had 4 seasons in that spot. ABC needs to think about moving something else there. And place Castle elsewhere or can it all together.

34. Squee says:

Funny talking about how much H50 loses from M&M, but Castle loses way more from DWTS (when it is on). Building on a crappy lead in is not much to crow about.

35. Denise says:

Hawaii 5-0 is a great show, while I also like Castle, I love H50! Check the numbers, H50 has beat Castle several times this season when all of the 7 day Dvr numbers come in which is usually a couple of weeks later. They are continually getting an audience boost
    and the coveted 18-49 boost which has put
    them over the top in the ratings game. I think the last one that they had the numbers in for was week 9. , and yes, H50 beat Castle.

36. Julia says:

I don’t think CBS replaced CSI Miami with H50 to beat Castle because csi Miami was doing that already, in both , demo and total viewers.
    cBS replaced CSI Miami with H50 because they thought H50 could do better than the 3.8 demo csi Miami was getting in the last season. Hawaii 50 FAILED !
    Csi Miami was never beaten in total viewers or demo by Castle. Not even once. LOL. So yes, Good job H50!

• Bree says:

No they didn’t move Miami for the reasons you give. Networks have to move older shows off to be put out to pasture at some point to bring new ones in, they’ve always worked that way. CSI Miami is not as much a success as HFO in one crucial area. The money it brings in to CBS.

Miami costs more to make per ep and it gets a crappy 600k syndication deal compared to HFO’s 2.5 Million. HFO will earn CBS tons and tons of money and that is what matters to them. They run a massively succesfull tv network they are not a charity. If HFO was a failure they’d have canned it like other new shows last year or moved it to Fridays like Blue Bloods. HFO is THE number one ten pm show on any network. CSI Miami wasn’t when it was in that slot which shows that Miami was just airing in a year when the shows in general were doing much better.

37. Penny says:

Hawaii 50 is not able to benefit from the great lead in demo it has. The drop is really big. It is the show in the whole week with the biggest lead in , so better numbers should be expected. A lot better. Very disappointing.

38. Brandy says:

I agree with Hart of Dixie fans postng that they love it, hope it gets renewed, it good ratings last night ect. As for 2 Broke Girls, I Love it and think its hilarious.

• John says:

“As for 2 Broke Girls,”

Agreed. I was dubious at first as the almost standup comedy one-liner deliveries caught me a bit by surprise: but now it’s a definite Monday item I look forward to seeing, reruns included (and I’m very anti-rerun as I just TiVo first runs and catch even the ones I’m not home for in order).

39. B says:

I think GG will never be measured by Nielsen most of the followers of GG rely on the internet to watch it. I’m not from US but my friends and I always watch it. We are definitely updated to what are the happenings. GG is big the proof of that are the Actors themselves because of the show they had been in demand just look into all the endorsements, magazine cover etc. compared to other shows GG had provided a great impact to pop culture.