How I Met Your Mother Recap: Baby Steps

[Warning: If you've yet to watch Monday's How I Met Your Mother, avert your eyes...now! Everyone else, read on...]

After a shocking pregnancy reveal in the last episode, Monday’s How I Met Your Mother took Robin on yet another surprising journey. Is she really pregnant? Who might the father be? And what does it mean for Robin and Barney? Here’s what we learned in this week’s installment.

NO HANKY PANKY | Despite having been together for some time now, Robin revealed that Kevin (Kal Penn) could not be the baby daddy since they’ve never slept together. It was a surprising admission that said a lot about Robin’s feelings for her current boyfriend. Is she taking it slow because she really cares for him? Or is there something underneath the surface holding her back?

How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Ugly Betty’s Becki Newton to Romance Barney!

PAPA STINSON | After learning that he was definitely the father of Robin’s maybe baby, Barney was ecstatic. “That’s wonderful!” he exclaimed. “I’m going to be a daddy!” Robin was so shocked that she fainted. We can’t blame her – Barney’s had one heck of an evolution. While he now wants a family, Robin maintains that she never has and never will want kids. Her staunchness on this matter was nice since it’s the very thing that set her apart in the pilot and eventually led to her breakup with Ted. Lily’s horrific stories of nipple cream and vagina numbing spray certainly didn’t do anything to sway Robin’s mind. In fact, the horrors of the We B Babies store and seeing his old bro as a slobby, stressed out dad actually moved Barney into the, “No baby!” camp, too.

NO BABY…EVER | Robin got her wish when her baby doc – the same one that treats Lily! – informed her that she’s not pregnant. Robin was as happy as Barney initially was at the prospect of being a daddy. That is, until the doctor dropped another bomb on her – she can never have kids. Although that should be fine for someone who doesn’t want them anyway, Robin was upset. The option to one day change her mind was taken away from her. Not helping matters, the little kids at We B Babies were now looking awfully cute and appealing. A sense of sadness enveloped her even as she told her imaginary daughter and son — Robin took over for Future Ted this week — “I’m glad you guys aren’t real. Really glad.” Ted, meanwhile, made a sweetly elaborate attempt to cheer her up with a kickin’ Christmas lights display set to ACDC.

So at the end of the day, Robin isn’t pregnant – and never will be – but she will be a world traveler, a business woman and, most importantly, she’ll never be alone, future Ted tells us. And no one, not even Barney, knows the truth about what’s really bothering Robin. And Kevin and Robin? Still together although we never even saw him or his reaction to Robin’s mood swings in the episode. There also didn’t seem to be a reconciliation in sight for Barney and Robin even when she thought she was expecting. In fact, Robin reminded Barney that she couldn’t have his baby right now because she has a boyfriend.

HIMYM fans, what’d you think of the pregnancy bait-and-switch? Did it feel right for the character or were you hoping for some little Barnacles? And what do you think it means for Barney and Robin’s on- and off-again romance?

1. Rosie says:

Why did the show’s creators add this plot line for Robin? Why did they believe it was necessary to explain Robin’s lack of children on her inability to conceive? Why not simply use Robin’s lack of desire for children as an excuse? Did they honestly believe that any woman who does not want children would be deemed unsympathetic?

Why is it important for Robin or any woman – fictional or otherwise – to desire kids?

By the way, it seems as if “HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER” is quickly becoming the “Barney and Robin Show”, with Ted, Marshall and Lily regulated to supporting characters. I thought . . . Ted was supposed to be the main character?

2. Pedro says:

I think that for more we think that robin is not the mom because he said at the beginning or because now she cant have kids and i even more convince that ted and robin will end up together… the fact that makes everybody think that she is not he mother makes me think more that she will be the mother and ted is actually telling the history they end up together….. the logical think is that barney and robin end up together but the series has that never goes for what it should be… they have so many twist…. like for example why they said “aunt Robin” but yet they never show her in the future like lilly and marshall… idk i could be wrong (hope not) but ted and robin will end up together…

3. Guest says:

Anyone else notice the Stormtrooper in the fade out of the imaginary room?….

4. Tahiti says:

I just don’t buy the “no Robin’s baby” thing. I can’t believe it. In fact, future Ted never said she was never a mom, he never mentioned babies at the end of the episode. Maybe the doctor’s wrong. I hope so…

5. Prudence says:

I think that since Lily and Marshall had hinted in a previous episode that their doctor was a little off, I’m starting to think that the doctor made a mistake and what future Ted said in the end, I think they never found out why she was really was upset and assumed she really just wanted to be a pole vaulter. I think Robin and Barney are going to end up together and have their own biological children.

6. autin says:

She will marry barney remember at lily andmarsals wedding she caught the flowers and docters can be wrong

7. Courtis says:

At first I HATED that episode – the end of it that is. HIMYM kept me emotionally involved all 7 seasons so far but at the point Robin’s children faded I felt kind of like “I’m not okay with that”. Yet if it was really sure that Robin never had kids, Ted wouldn’t had used the pole vaulter metaphor. He would have simply said “Aunt Robin never had kids.”

What makes me quite sure that Robin and Barney will end up together is that at the wedding scene we have been showed Lily enters the room and said that the bright wants to see Ted. I really doubt that a new girl in Barney’s life would demand to see one of his friends to see right before the ceremony. Well… either that or one of Ted’s ex girlfriends – which is not really likely.

Back to the pole vaulter metaphor: If we mistake “not being a pole vaulter” for “not having kids” while it in fact stands for “not getting pregnant” the Barney and Robin adopting a child is back to the field as a possible outcome of that scenario.

All in all I don’t see Robin and Kevin together at all. He will probably move somewhere (India) because out of nowhere (shortly before the relationship gets serious) something (death of his mother/brother) happened.

BTW: I can’t wait to see how the relationship between Barney and his father has developed up until his wedding. Might besome touching scenes again.

8. tracey says:

I know im really late with this response but i liked the episode (minus the Marshall bit).
    Im 24 and i have the same views as robin on kids. i don’t mind other peoples kids but to have my own… i don’t see it in my future. but i know that if ever i change my mind, i for sure would feel the same way as robin did in this episode. from the imaginary kids to walking alone in the park to never telling anyone about my infertility. Every opportunity that i had in the past that got taken away from me when i thought that option would be there if i ever change my mind, these same emotions and action happen. So good job HIMYM on portraying infertility well in this episode.