Ratings: Once, Housewives and Pan Am Hit Series Lows, Fox 'Toons Rebound

‘Twas a cloudy Sunday for ABC this week, as all three of its dramas hit all-time lows in the coveted 18-49 demo.

Leading off the night, Once Upon a Time dipped 9 percent to deliver 9.6 million viewers while scoring a 3.1 demo rating. Desperate Housewives (8.1 mil/2.6) followed with drops of 13 percent, and then Pan Am (4.7 mil/1.6) descended double digits as well.

Fox Midseason Plan Sets Dates for Alcatraz, Finder, Returns of Kiefer Sutherland and Breaking In

The news was far sunnier over at Fox, which thanks to a robust football lead-in saw all of its animated entries surge. The Simpsons (9 mil/4.0) topped all scripted series in the demo as it matched its season high, while drawing its largest audience since January. Allen Gregory (5.2 mil/2.4) in turn was up 60 percent, Family Guy (7.1 mil/3.5) gained 25 percent, and The Cleveland Show (5.4 mil/2.5) improved on American Dad by double digits.

NBC Sunday Night Football of course dominated the night, though the Saints-Lions overnight rating is the franchise’s lowest since the Oct. 23 Saints-Colts blowout.

Good Wife Recap: Did Alicia Make the Right Call? Vote!

Lastly, on CBS: The Amazing Race (9.6 mil/2.7) was down a few percentage points yet matched Once‘s audience this week; The Good Wife (9.8 mil/1.9) was rock-steady; and CSI: Miami was Sunday’s most-watched scripted show with 10.4 million viewers (while netting a 2.2 rating). Due to marginal NFL overrun, the CBS tallies could change slightly.

What were you watching this Sunday night?

1. Jeff says:

They were all repeats weren’t they?

2. kevin says:

Did anyone catch last night’s GOOD WIFE episode with Jennifer Carpenter aka Deb Morgan of DEXTER in it? She was amazing appear on both shows in the same timeslot on the same night.

3. kevin says:

So sad for Andy and Tommy going from the top to the bottom of the final four on AMAZING RACE last night. What a bummer but I really don’t know on who’s going to win the $1 million prize next week. Also sad about PAN AM hitting a series low since the retro drama returns after a three week absence but when the news broke out with the headline: HAS ABC CANCELED PAN AM? Looks like it’s definitely true but don’t blame the rumors about it.

4. Michael says:

These is what I don’t understand they adverties last night as repeat yet they show new ones

5. Niko says:

OUAT and Pan Am were really good last night. Don’t understand why the ratings keep falling.

• Matt says:

OUAT was great, and continues to be, IMO.

Pan Am likely struggles due to an ever-weakening lead-in from Desperate Housewives, as well as an inconsistent schedule. I didn’t even realize they were going to be airing a new episode last night, so I didn’t stay tuned.

I’m sure TiVo got it for me, but I’d have liked to watch it, had I realized.

• Niko says:

Yes, I agree OUAT has been outstanding from the start. Easily the best new drama this season, IMO.

• Rebecca says:

I don’t think DH is to blame for Pan Am’s stinky numbers. The low quality of Pan Am is. DH is doing tons better than Pan Am, and then CLICK, a huge percentage of the audience tunes out once DH ends and Pan Am comes on. If people want to watch a show, they will. Blaming the lead-in is ridiculous.

• CJ says:

I’ve always thought the contribution of a lead-in to a show’s ratings have always been overestimated, especially with hour-long shows. Pan Am (good or bad–I haven’t seen it) just isn’t the kind of show that’s going to draw in a large audience without giving people more reason to notice it. It doesn’t have any really big stars or particularly interesting stories, and the critical opinion has been mild.

• Kristin says:

I totally agree. I love both of those shows, and I’m the coveted age range.

• Holly says:

OUAT’s ratings actually haven’t fallen much. It’s been fairly steady since it began — hardly lost any viewers, all around or in the demo. Not sure at all what happened last night, except that CBS shows started on time in some areas??

• jordan says:

Actually you’re wrong. Last week it dropped 0.4 in the demo. This week it dropped 0.3 in the demo. Going from 3.8 to 3.1 in two episodes. It’s dropping a lot and fast right now.

6. Katie says:

I think ABC has its own self to blame when it comes to their Sunday night block.

Why they think preempting their shows all the time is a good thing I’ll never know, because it causes them to lose momentum and viewers.

• Amy says:

I agree. I watch DH more so out of loyalty after all these years than anything else. PA is getting better but after news of possible cancellation people aren’t going to want to get invested. I tape all these shows anyway but the general public can’t/won’t follow all the jumps for all the shows on all the networks. Some take a week off, some three, and some two months!I really like The Good Wife but so many times this year it’s been delayed due to football. The networks, in general, need a big scheduling fix.I get they can’t run first run shows for 6 months straight but they have got to do better. This is a big complaint across all networks.

7. Amanda says:

so pissed about that amazing race outcome.

8. Sarah says:

I wonder why my TiVo missed Once… I love this show. My favorite. Off to find it on the tiny little computer screen…

9. fotreya says:

Althought its ratings keep being excellents….why this drop?
    Once Upon a Time is the best new tv show, we need another season.

10. Cindy says:

Loved Once – it keeps getting better each week. I’m hooked!

• Annika says:

Me too! It’s the only show since Friends, Gilmore Girls and The X-Files that I’ve been watching TWICE. I think I’m obsessd LOL

• V says:

Same here – I wasn’t as thrilled with last week’s episode (a bit slow and I couldn’t get interested in Archie/Cricket’s back story, but thought this week’s episode was great!

11. Ashlee says:

I had to DVR Once, i was bummed I couldn’t watch it but other obligations got in the way. Can’t wait to watch it tonight!

12. Jon says:

I really really struggled to watch PanAm all the way through last night. I can understand why it’s been cancelled. This is not the exciting ’60s era show I signed up to watch. It’s become interchangeable with any other drama show out there, only the clothing has changed. As I’ve said before, the spy storyline was the nail in the coffin for me. I won’t watch it when it returns in January.

• Joe says:

Cancelled? Did I miss an announcement?

That aside. I used to think the same as you about the spy thing, but after a bit of thought, it really isn’t that far fetched, and probably happened more than once that stewardesses who travel the world and mingle with passengers, might be considered perfect candidates to spy.

And no, I’m not a conspiracy buff :)

13. Niko says:

It’s obvious from your post that you don’t watch Pan Am.

14. Niko says:

My comment was directed to Jon, sorry…

15. sue says:

I’m sorry I can’t see how pan am isn’t cancelled yet that show is really awful I couldn’t even watch past the 2nd episode and the playboy club was so much better I have a hard time seeing how it was cancelled yet pan am isn’t? Playboy club had great acting and a great story going before it ended while pan am seems like every other show. Sigh.

• Niko says:

Pan Am sells the 60s era escapism better. Playboy Club had forgettable lead in Nick Dalton and Bunny Maureen.

The problem with Pan Am was that earlier on, they couldn’t decide what kind of show they wanted to be. Last night’s episode was my favourite, along with episode 2 and 3.

And the steep drops in ratings were during episode 2 and 3 (and last night’s episode 9), so I really have no idea why…

16. Dijea says:

OUAT & PanAm were excellent. I think that some people might be giving up on PanAm just because of the premature “We are cancelled” extravaganza. Maybe it is just the holiday season and people have other things planned.

I’m absolutely in love with both shows! The only thing better is CASTLE!

17. Alex says:

Yikes, that’s a steep drop for Once…but it’s still doing pretty well.

18. Danielle says:

studying for finals!

• Danielle says:

Sorry – I was answering the question from the facebook post. I’ve been watching Once Upon A Time avidly since it started, but with finals this week and next week, I just didn’t have the time. I wonder if that’s part of the reason the numbers fell in the college-aged demo.

• Liz says:

Ditto. 3 exams in one day, I had to study, I couldn’t afford the time to watch tv last night, but it is on the DVR waiting for me to watch it after finals are over.

19. Jami says:

Once Upon a Time is AMAZING!! Best new show on TV IMO. When football is on I don’t think they should compare ratings, they KNOW football grabs the most ratings anyway. Thankfully, no one here watches anything but baseball on TV. I rarely miss REAL TV programs. I also watched Syfy’s Neverland. THAT was a great new adaptation of a classic!!!

20. Michelle says:

It’s too early to panic about Once, right? I’m hoping a lot of people thought it was a repeat and just forgot. I reallY don’t want to go into full blown panic mode about my favorite new show!

21. Niko says:

And the horrible Allen Gregory was up 60 percent. WTF happened?

Btw FOX new shows stink. If Terra Nova, New Girl, Allen Gregory and I Hate My Teenage Daughter aired in another network like ABC or NBC, they would already sink a long time ago.

22. Holiday season and the beginning of finals week in colleges… I think it could have been worse.

23. fernando says:

Im so sorry for Pan Am, I really have come to love the sho but I am so sure now that come may ABC will let it go.

24. Bad Breaker says:

Sorry network tv but the cable channels are the ones getting all my love on Sunday nights (Dexter, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Hell on Wheels).

25. Kate says:

I set my DVR for Pan Am and I will watch it because I love the show but I think a lot of people tuned out because they heard it was essentially and not withstanding ABC’s doubletalk cancelled.

26. alysa says:

what was the shocking moment on homeland? my guess was the briefcase explosion but i sort of saw it coming… was it something i completely missed?

27. Julie says:

How can ONCE’s episode about the Prince’s background bring low ratings?? Last night’s episode was the best this season PLUS Josh Dallas was tweeting!

28. Lynn says:

I get really nervous when there is a drop in ratings on ABC, even if it is slight. They are QUICK to get rid of shows without giving them a chance to gain an audience. I really enjoy OUAT and Pan Am. I know that the episodes that were made for PanAm are almost out and if the next new show gets better ratings it will be gone. Too bad, I really like it. It may not be the greatest show on tv (that would be Castle!) but I find it entertaining. Better than some of the other shows on tv!

29. Nikki says:

Put Rookie blue in the fall lineup ABC!!!

30. Jules says:

Ok! Thoses ratings make me laugh so hard!!
    Very happy for the Simpsons…funny episode!
    But with Dexter(even if this season is NOT as good of ssn3&4) my Sunday night always satisfied me(great combination for waiting for my favorite addiction on Monday “HOUSE”
    As for the rest…do I really care about ABC or CBS debacle…..Euh…NO! But I prefer watch a good football match against them!! Haha! & more intense,less cheesy !!

31. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’m at the point of trying to be philosophical about Pan Am – I had high hopes in September, was in denial in October as the ratings fell, was grasping for solutions in November [move the show around the schedule to save it]. Now, in December, I just enjoy the episodes until they run their course. ABC is planning to remove Pan Am from the schedule in February/March to make way for GCB/Good Christian Belles. At least Bridget is making her Pan Am comeback in the January episode(s); looking forward to seeing her again – my favorite stewardess of the five woman-crew, w/Laura a close second.

ABC really could use another hit show on Sunday (besides Once Upon A Time, which looks like a winner for ABC) to replace Desperate Housewives next fall- GCB may be that show. I’ll be pulling for GCB to do well, even though that will probably not reflect well on Pan Am…that’s life.

The good news (if there is much at this point) for Pan Am is that it will be ending production soon, and that will free up the cast and crew to participate in filming of other fall 2012 projects/pilots in March. Hence, I believe we’ll see at least one of two of the cast in new TV series/shows next fall. Margo Robbie [and Karine Vanasse to some extent] has star-power … I think we’ll be seeing more of both next fall in other potential TV series. Keep an eye on the upcoming TV pilot season rosters in March for their names to pop up.

In the meantime, enjoy the remaining episodes, and [hopefully] the series DVD that will come out next year around this time. Thirteen+ episodes is a pretty nice little run for the series – better than what Charlies Angels and Playboy Club managed. We’ll never know if the show could have done better in another slot away from DH; I still believe it would have, but we’ll never know. However, GCB will help us and ABC make that determination to some extent, for better or worse, once GCB hits the airwaves in March at 10pm Sundays.

Thank you for flying Pan Am.