Exclusive: Community Is Going to War — Over Another Massive Blanket Fort!

Community may be headed for hiatus-ville (sob!), but there are big, fleecey things to look forward to when it returns in the spring (or, fingers crossed, sooner).

TVLine has learned exclusively that NBC’s cult-fave comedy is planning to revisit one of its most beloved institutions: Troy and Abed’s epic blanket fort!

Holiday Photos: Community Rings in the Season

You may remember the duo building the fort-to-end-all-forts in Season 2′s “Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design,” only to discover that it had “gone mainstream” and thus lost all of its coolness.

This time around, Abed and Troy decide to delve back into the world of forting with their sights set on a Guinness World Record. Of course, stakes that high alter the fabric of what should be a fun event, creating major tension between the pals and ultimately leading to  — wait for it — Greendale’s very own Civil War.

Look for the remaining study groupers to choose sides in the bloody comfy two-episode battle — which escalates into full-on war in the second half. And, as an added bonus, John Goodman’s Vice Dean Laybourne makes an appearance to try, once again, to sway Troy into the alluring world of air conditioning.

Exclusive: Community Staging Christmas-Themed Musical Episode!

No word on whether another Latvian Independence Parade will take place in the revamped fort, but we’ll definitely keep you posted.

Are you excited to see more blanket madness in Greendale? Who’s side of the battle will you take? Hit the comments!

Comments (35)

• I loved the blanket fort episode but I’m worrying that rather than explore new territory, they are just revisiting old plot devices, like paintball. I loved both installments of paintball though so I guess I have faith that this will be just as excellent as the first blanket fort.

Comment by Ava – December 4, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If any show has earned the benefit of the doubt, it’s Community. I’m really excited to see what they can do next!

Comment by tvhabit – December 4, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is incredibly bittersweet. On the one hand, we can expect this level of creativity. On the other, NBC is most certainly gonna cancel it soon :(

Comment by John Doe – December 4, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope more people start watching! This show is so great – so creative. It’ll be such a loss if it doesn’t make it. I’m so tired of these super broad comedies that seem to multiply when something as funny and unique as Community struggles to find viewers.

Comment by tvhabit – December 4, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just don’t understand why it has to go on hiatus. If they move the show to Fridays – the audience will follow. Maybe not watch it on Friday night exactly, but definitely DVR it and watch within 3 days. That’s just as good, right?

Comment by Rose – December 4, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey, I just recently netflixed both seasons of Community and I love it! So new people are still tuning in…

Comment by kat – December 4, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I keep introducing new people to the show – in fact, this very day I got a friend who’d disliked random episodes that she’d seen before to watch the pilot – and she loved it!

But, partly to support the show, and partly to protest the hiatus, I’m making my blog a little Community-crazy this month. I have a contest going where people can win one or both previous seasons of the show, and my sidebar will feature rotating pictures of the cast (currently Abed, looking for opinions on who should be next). Hope you can stop by and participate!

Comment by Katie Hart – December 4, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The viewership is too scattered to focus on this comedy tour de force. They need less celebrity endorsements and more support from nbc. plug it.

Comment by Windy – December 5, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool!Cool!Cool!Cool! Loved the blanket fort idea last year and I’m happy they’re re-visiting that concept on a wider scale. The Latvian Independence Parade wouldn’t make another appearance though, because the air date of the episode wouldn’t coincide with the independence of Latvia like it did last year.

Comment by Cath – December 4, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, how could NBC bench such awesomeness?! I don’t understand. This sounds amazing. Finally, some tension between Troy & Abed. While I don’t want it to last (and it won’t) I think they need to be separated sometimes. They’re always together.

As for the group picking sides, my guess is Britta, Pierce and Shirley will choose Troy and Jeff & Annie will choose Abed.

Comment by LC – December 4, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s an astute observation/theory. I think Abed’s team will also have Pavlov, Abed’s Polish friend, in the interest of having 4 vs 4.

Comment by John Doe – December 4, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not the major question that should be asked. It’s “How could NBC bench it to keep Whitney on the Schedule” that should be asked/has so many of us up in arms

Comment by Carmichael – December 4, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t be so sure about Britta. She has a pretty unique relationship with both of them really. I would say Troy would be the more likely side, but I find it hard to be sure which side she’s pick.

Comment by Ciara – December 4, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel like everyone is too mean to Britta seeing as how awesome she is! But lately she’s been closer to Troy, since Jeff has been specially douchy to her this season.

Comment by ana muller – December 5, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wasn’t certain about Britta at first because I know she’s really close to Abed. But seeing as she is growing closer to Troy this season, I thought it would make sense she would side with him. Unless she doesn’t and that in itself creates more tension? Sounds good either way! :)

Comment by LC – December 6, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% with your teams, it makes so much sense.

Comment by Jenny – December 4, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the single greats collection of sentences ever put together in the English language.

Comment by Lindsay – December 4, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay can’t wait i am sure it’s going to be awesome #sixseasonsandamovie

Comment by Ruba – December 4, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Community because of how original it is, so it kind of irks me when they revisit storylines like this (blanket fort, paintball, etc). I STILL LOVE THE SHOW, and I will watch every episode religiously! But I like some of these stories better when it’s just a one time thing.
    Hope it doesn’t get cancelled. :(

Comment by Mandy – December 4, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can’t honestly think that the second paintball episodes were not approximately as awesome as (if not better) than the first. It’s a fairly basic concept that stands revisiting. Just because they’re building a blanket fort again doesn’t mean this episode will be anything like the previous one.

Comment by Johnny – December 4, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah and remember that the blanket fort in season two was THE SUBPLOT!
      so they have a lot to work with for a full two episodes

Comment by CArlos – January 13, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s a great idea. I like the idea of the paintball being an annual thing, because it’s so fun and creative that revisiting it isn’t something most fans would frown about. Likewise, if they do it with the blanket fort – or even just end it with this – as long as the storyline is original, it doesn’t matter. Because it’s FUN. And funny. And awesome.

Comment by Ciara – December 4, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully, NBC gets it and may be trying to change marketing or time slots for Community. There is nothing on TV better written, produced, and acted than this awesome program. If not, maybe move it to another channel (Comedy Central?).

Comment by Dave – December 4, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just sounds so epic, I am at a loss for words. If NBC cancels Community, they’ll be making a colossal mistake. FOUR SEASONS AND A GRADUATION CEREMONY!!!

Comment by Stephanie – December 4, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So bittersweet reading about Community lately. Every time I see something about it I get really excited and then my heart just dropped. Why hiatus, why?! I really hope the show get’s nominated for some Emmy’s or Globes next year. I think that would really help it out. And besides, they totally deserve it!

Comment by Amelie – December 4, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why on hiatus? Why? I’ve just began watching and am loving it. Sometimes, I have to replay some scenes at least three times because I am laughing so hard I can’t watch because of the tears of laughter. Really.
    Looooooove the show.

Comment by NewCommunityFan – December 4, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God i want to watch it right now!! :(

Comment by Amy – December 4, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is going in hiatus, but Whitney is still aloud to exist. Whit must be following in her bff chelsey handler’s shoes of passing out ‘favors’ to keep her crap-tastic show on the air.

Comment by JB Smooove – December 5, 2011 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with the Whitney being crap-tastic part. Seriously. Whitney, Up all Night, 30 Rock…they’re all mediocre at best (in case of 30 Rock) and reallllly sucky at worst (Whitney) in comparison to Community.

Comment by Laura – December 5, 2011 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is a mystery to me why this show doesnt get ginormous ratings. I mean, its as brilliant as TV can be.

Blanket fort POP POP!

Comment by Raksha – December 5, 2011 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a huge mistake on NBC’s part to bench it. I watched NBC’s Thursday lineup live mostly because Community was there to kick it off. Now I’ll probably just watch Parks & Rec when I can and might not even bother with the rest anymore.

Oh well, less NBC for me!

Comment by Justin – December 5, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • will they ever bring back eliza coupe as the secret service agent???? while I like her on Happy Endings, I think she’s the best playing the stoic or sarcastic characters, like Denise on Scrubs.

Comment by m – December 5, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Inspector Spacetime can go back and fix NBC’s horrible decision?

Comment by kdubs – December 6, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post