Ratings: Nikita Fall Finale Ties Series Low

Nikita with its fall finale fell a tenth in the demo to match what appears to be a series low rating of 0.5 this Friday.

In total viewers, The CW’s sophomore spy drama drew 1.7 million, down 6 percent from its last fresh outing. (For comparison’s sake, Smallville‘s final fall finale drew 2.45 million viewers and a 1.1 rating.)

Lead-out Supernatural, meanwhile, rebounded a bit from its brutal dance with the Jersey Devil to surge 20 percent in audience (to 1.86 million total viewers) while holding steady at a 0.7 demo rating.

Supernatural Fall Finale Recap: Eternal Sunshine of Bobby’s ‘Fruitcake’ Mind

In general, this Friday was a soft capper to the week, with even CBS’ full stable of dramas on the downside in their fall finales. A Gifted Man (8 mil/1.2) dipped 8 percent in the demo, CSI: NY* (9.73 mil/1.5) fell 12 percent, and Blue Bloods (11 mil/1.6) dropped 20 percent.

* For those who have asked, that was “Never Let Me Go” by Florence + The Machine playing at the end.

TVLine Presents Your Guide to Fall Finale and Winter Return Dates

That said, CBS of course swept the night, with Blue Bloods besting all comers in total audience and with the 18-49 crowd.

What were you tuned into this Friday night?

1. Danielle H says:

So this is getting canceled then?

• Guess says:

To be completely fair, I didn’t even know this wasn’t on hiatus.

• Brooke says:

I think it is impossible to say, because aside from TVD, TSC, and Supernatural, all of CW’s shows are tanking. Assuming they don’t completely clear house, renewals out of all these low-rated shows are possibly going to be based on things other than ratings – like how much the show costs to make.

2. Steve says:

Not sure if this is the case, but I know in the DC/Baltimore/MD area, a football game was on which could have been a reason for these ratings.

• Carolyn says:

This. I always watch or dvr but it won’t be on until Sunday here because of high school football.

• Mike B says:

I wasn’t able to watch either. I am sure there were quite a few people that couldn’t watch. Do you think “TPTB” realize this?

3. Mike says:

0.5 is better then 0.6 for Ringer,Gossip Girl and 90210. Because Nikita airs on fridays which is way harder to get good ratings on that day

But CW need to advertise its return on 6th january and the fans need to tweet,facebook ect about the show and the return.

• Julie says:

I’m one of the fans on Twitter that is constantly promoting the show. I think it’s time for the CW to do their fair share. Out of all of all the CW shows beside Supernatural, Nikita gets the least promotion. For example, for weeks, fans have gotten Nikita characters and actors to trend on Twitter, and the official CW Twitter account and CW gossip account don’t say a word, while a TVD one is instantly recognized. Only the Nikita PR people give us recognition. All Nikita sneak peek clips usually take days to be posted on YouTube while shows like 90210 are posted the day after the episode aired on Tuesday. Luckily the shows gets more coverage online from outlets such as TVLine, AOL, KSiteTV, IGN, and others, but if Nikita got half the promotion Ringer or TVD received, we would have better ratings. If the fans on Twitter like myself were not as active as we are, I believe the ratings would be worst.

4. Darlady65 says:

We weren’t able to watch a gifted man and blue bloods cause of preemption. And now those eps will be shown tonight I hate when this happens.

5. Jamie says:

90210 got a 0.6 once, for Thanksgiving eve-eve.

It got a 0.8 this week, but obviously you don’t mention that to try and make Nikita’s ratings look good.

It’s not better than the 0.6 for GG and Ringer, it’s about the same.

6. Don J says:

The CW’s ratings have been down all year. Not a single one of their shows is doing exceptionally well. Even Vampire Diaries is down alot compared to season 1 and 2.

Nikita will get it’s entire 23 episode order aired. To me, asking a sophomore show to be the lead-in on a night where people rarely watch live TV is already a major challenge.

• Asha says:

I think in general, at least among people I know, CW shows are DVR fair. I would like to hear what the ratings are for the week (everyone who watches online, DVR, etc. etc.) I know those numbers are out there but are never reported.

7. Rebecca says:

Those Nikita numbers reek! Plus the show does dreadfully in the 18-34 demo. I don’t think the CW can justify keeping it around, given that it performs so poorly in both of their main demo groups. Doesn’t matter that it airs on a Friday; Supernatural consistently performs better on the same night, and Supernatural did WAY better in the same slot last season. The CW can’t tolerate such an underperformer.

• Rebecca says:

Typo in my above comment: Smallville did way better in the same slot last season than Nikita is doing now.

Also, the most recent 18-34 demos show that Nikita straggles in dead last. It’s the worst-rated CW show with the 18-49 group and with the 18-34 group.

Vampire Diaries 1.4/4 A18-34, 2.1/6 W18-34
      Gossip Girl 0.9/3 A18-34, 1.4/4 W18-34
      Hart of Dixie 0.8/2 A18-34, 1.2/3 W18-34
      90210 0.8/2 A18-34, 1.2/3 W18-34
      Secret Circle 0.8/2 A18-34, 1.2/3 W18-34
      Ringer 0.7/2 A18-34, 1.0/3 W18-34
      Supernatural 0.6/2 A18-34, 0.7/2 W18-34
      Nikita 0.5/2 A18-34, 0.6/2 W18-34

8. Lisa says:

The first mistake the CW made with Nikita was putting it on a Friday only on it’s second season. This show was too fresh to survive on a Friday. Not only that, but they also put it as a lead in. If they were going to do this, at least they should have put it after SPN. Then, the CW sucks at promoting the show, as it was already mentioned. They often even upload the YouTube clips under the wrong show name or episode name/number. We fans get no recognition for trending efforts like others shows do. The cast is not taken on many interviews either. They give Ringer renuns a million times a day sometimes, when other shows could also benefit from this strategy. Considering Nikita is on a Friday, I don’t think it is doing that bad compared to shows like GG, which might sometimes get a tiny bit more ratings than Nikita, yet has a lot less viewers. I’m not saying Nikita’s ratings are great either; I wish they would be better. I hope the CW see the potential this show has. It has been doing great overseas and on Netflix. Hopefully they would give it another chance and renew it for a third season in another timeslot to see how it does.

9. Lisa says:

*I meant they rerun Ringer a million times a WEEK, not a day. Sorry*

10. Brandy says:

mike An 0.5 is worse than an 0.6, 0.7, 0.8 no matter what night. Cw Will cancel 3 more shows, and nikita is the 1rst or 2nd lowest rated show on Cw( besides gg).

• Brooke says:

That is not true. A website that has been analyzing ratings for several years and predicts which shows are going to be canceled and renewed weighs Friday shows differently than other nights’ ratings, because they have found it to be a relevant factor in the past.

11. Monica says:

Nikita just doesn’t belong on the CW. Way too good for this network. I wish it could be moved to a cable network like USA.

• Mark says:

I AGREE! Nikita is too CBS or USA! Definitely not for The CW.
      It’s too awesome and cool compare to other CW shows.
      Hoping this will get a 3rd season :(

• Liz says:

I’ve pulling for it to be canceled, because it might be standing in the way of some of my favorite shows getting renewed, but I would have no problem if it continued to survive on USA where La Femme Nikita aired. As far as I’m concerned it could continue on for decades if it moved off of the CW.

12. Misty Jean says:

I stopped watching after they killed off Jaden. I was hoping for badass trio with Nikita, Alex and Jaden. Michael is too boring.

13. Ivy says:

I’m really sad about Nikita’s numbers this week, after it haad been steady in the ratings and rising in viewers slowly for the past couple of weeks. It might not count for much, but Nikita’s ratings often improve considerably after DVR playback is accounted for. This could imply that the audience is there, they are just not watching live because it is, I don’t know, FRIDAY! Also, I am happy to see that the show’s ratings have not been affected much by the return of Chuck, which worried me. I hope the CW give Nikita a chance for S3. This show has a lot of potential. I really hope WB sticks with it and supports it!

14. MH says:

So sad about Nikita’s ratings, it had been doing so well for the past few weeks. The CW needs to promote this amazing show more. Maggie was doing a lot of interviews this week and the one that upset me the most was the Jimmy Kimmel interview. He didn’t ask her about the show, this people who interview her, have to do their homework and learn about her, Im sick and tired of them asking her the same questions and they don’t even ask about the show. All he asked her was how she burn her boobs and if she liked to do the show. WTF. CW got to the their job and promote it more. Nikita could easily replace TVD and Ringer. I hate they see so much potential in Ringer, when is not even as half as good as Nikita. They do the best for Ringer they even run radio commercials. Im so sick of the CW promoting all the other shows, but Nikita, Nikita deserves better….

• Rebecca says:

It got a .6 in its other episodes. How is that doing “so well”?

• Jess says:

No, Nikita didn’t get a 0.6 for all its other episodes. If it’s not adjusted up it will be the third 0.5.

Nikita’s ratings this year:
        0.6 / 0.6 / 0.5 / 0.5 / 0.6 / 0.6 / 0.6 / 0.6 / 0.6 / *0.5

15. Victor says:

ALL shows was down. Hardly anything to be alarmed about
    Nikita airs on friday. It is tougher to get good ratings on fridays the CW knows that so yes a 0.5 on fridays is better then 0.6 on monday and tuesday.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

Sorry, gotta chime in here — and keep in mind that I’m a huge fan (as is TVLine) of NIKITA….
      Getting an audience on Fridays is, yes, tough. But GOSSIP GIRL, RINGER and 90210 are up against DWTS, the two NCISes, GLEE and NEW GIRL, three of THE most-watched shows in all the land and two of THE buzziest. They’re not exactly skating on an empty pond (if I make fabricate a metaphor), so audience is hard to come by for them as well.

• tigersmurfette says:

i just have to say, i love that there is interaction on this site between the writers and us readers. unlike other sites with comment/message boards where one doubts if the writer even reads their own articles(as evidenced by the typos/crappy reporting) let alone read the comments. good job!

• Victor says:

look how low ratings are on fridays. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that fridays is the absolute toughest day for any show of the week

• Rachel says:

True, but a 0.5 is still a pretty tough rating. I’m definitely wondering how much of that the CW can take (and that’s not just for Nikita, Supernatural is still pulling well under 1.0, and I’m afraid for that, too!)

16. Brandy says:

Victor, an 0.5 IS worse than an 0.6,0.7 ect. no matter the night. Fri. Is no excuse for shows to perform badly and the ” fri factor” is minimal& doesnt help shows much_ lots of shows are cancelled that air on fri(medium, ghost whiperer, raising dad, what I like about you,ect. Fri Factor allows shows to skate by only so long, some point cw is going to decide nikitas are just too low even for a fri a not making enough money and cancel it, especially with a new president whos supposed to raise ratings/ veiwership, not hang on to all low rated shows no matter what the shows have going for them( gg used to have great dvr numbers, gtreat itunes sales same for 9010,both have good dvd sales )ect.

• Victor says:

No 0.5 on fridays is not worse then 0.6 on monday and tuesday. look how low the ratings are on 8PM. Nikita even tied for 4th last night. The highest rated was football

• Brandy says:

Victor, a 0.6, 0.7,0.8 are better than a 0.5. Saying an 0.5 is better than an 0.6 ,0.7 ect is like saing $2 is less than $1 or 10 is lower than 5 when we count. At any rate, a 0.5 is bad, even by cw standards

17. kevin says:

There may be hope on the fate of these CW shows: Bet you wouldn’t count on SUPERNATURAL to be a “safe bet” as well as 90210. VAMPIRE DIARIES continues to be the best in the network, SECRET CIRCLE destined to be a breakout hit, HART OF DIXIE and RINGER may get mixed feelings on both of them and I don’t know if GOSSIP GIRL and/or NIKITA could be facing cancellation by season’s end.

• True Spnl Addict says:

Trust me, Supernatural is the most watched shows outside the US from the stables of CW network! It generates revenue and buzz too without even enough promotions! They cannot cancel Spnl!

• Brooke says:

Supernatural is a safe bet based on ratings. Check out TV By The Numbers’ renew/cancel index. There’s no way CW axes it for its ratings.

18. A says:

19. Kathryn says:

I think the reason for the low ratings is focusing on the weakest link on the show…Alex. This show is called Nikita, not Alex, but for the last few weeks she’s been more the focus than Nikita.

Then there’s this awful Michael plot twist with the kid. Even in last night’s episode he didn’t choose Nikita over the kid. Once the danger is over he’ll be trotting back to London.

The show started out great, but it hasn’t been that good since this Michael plot twist and the heavy focusing on the Alex character. The big villain Semak is connected to Alex and not Nikita. And how did the show end? The last shot was of Alex again.

• tripoli says:

Kinda agree with you. Alex is becoming more and more annoying, as is Michael. I really enjoyed the first season, but find I’m a lot less interested in season 2. It’s lost the spark that made it so enjoyable last season. At this point, I wouldn’t really be bothered if it were to get canceled.

20. J Locke says:

Nikita ran through about 3 seasons worth of plot twists in it’s first season. Thus the show got old real quick. That’s why the ratings are bad because this season has been awful. The show isn’t fun anymore and they ruined half of the good characters. It’s more of a Nikita/Michael on the run romance compared to the run and gun, never know what’s coming next first season. Can’t blame the writers because they probably figured if they only get 1 season, might as well make it amazing. Which it was. But this season is the definition of a sophomore slump. At this rate they won’t get a third season to rebound, even on the CW and it’s a shame because the show had so much potential.

• Ava says:

I don’t think you can argue that Nikita is floundering because they burned through so many plot twists in the first season. TVD has an incredibly fast pace when it comes to plot twists and is still pretty fresh each week in its third season. I feel like the problem with Nikita is that the writers don’t seem to know where their strengths are.

• aquarius1271 says:

I disagree with you. The Vampire Diaries is able to easily keep up the fresh stories thanks to its supernatural theme. They invent new rules and ancient vampires the minute they run out of new storylines and voila, another half season’s worth of stories is in the can. Nikita of course is not able to keep up suck a breathneck pace but it is also true that they spent three seasons’ worth of ideas during that wonderful first season. Having been a huge fan of TVD during its first two seasons, I got bored by the current one, and its neverending parade of ancient vampires and new and confusing mythology week after week. Sadly it appears the same happened to me with Nikita even sooner in only its second season due to reasons I explained above.

21. Liz says:

I am so sick of Nikita fans making excuses for Fridays. No other Friday show fans are so annoying. If people like the show enough, they would stay home and watch, but clearly they don’t.

22. Derek says:

And we are sick and tired of the Nikita haters.
    Lets just see how the shows do in the spring

23. GK says:

That’s great and after Spnl’s DVR results come in, those numbers will jump around 50-70% Also, it has broad appeal overseas and generates revenue in many places. The new President will try to make The CW less girly and go for a broader appeal next year. Thank God! They will most probably cancel One Tree Hill, Nikita (I don’t see this show, but I don’t want it canceled. It looks cool) and Gossip Girl. But GG brings in more revenue even with those low numbers. So, they just might cancel Hart of Dixie, even though its doing better, since Ringer is their baby and they wouldn’t want to lose face by cancelling it. The only shows which will definitely back for next season are Vampire Diaries, Supernatural and Secret Circle.
    PS: “Death’s Door” was one of the best episodes ever on television!

• Liz says:

GK, they can’t cancel One Tree Hill because it is already ending. They have already wrapped up filming of its 13 episode 9th and final season and Iron Man 3 is moving into the studio where it use to film. So that pretty much means that they will cancel one or more of the following Gossip Girl, Nikita, Ringer, OR Hart of Dixie. I hope they keep Hart of Dixie and don’t make the channel all manly. TV is already pretty evened out between men’s and women’s channels, men don’t need to steal the CW. I love most the shows on that channel except for ANTM, Nikita, and 90210 (mostly because they broke up Donna and David, killed off Kelly’s mom, and quit having the originals on the show and the new kids just aren’t that interesting). I like Ringer, but I think the CW is beginning to give up on it being its baby considering they gave it every chance with all those repeats to help bring in viewers and it still wasn’t bringing in fantastic numbers. Hart of Dixie is also a lovely little show that is reminiscent of Gilmore Girls and Men in Trees meets the movies Sweet Home Alabama and Doc Hollywood. I am also really going to need it to fill the void that One Tree Hill is leaving behind. If the CW promotes it like they did Ringer, it will hopefully continue to grow like it has been the past few weeks. When they gave it a Wednesday repeat a week and a half ago, it brought in a beautiful .9 rating the following Monday. So I hope they continue to promote it and let it grow, it’s the little tv show that could on the CW.

• GK says:

Liz, I think OTH was supposed to end last season as well. IDK, I may be wrong. But hey, how many final seasons did Smallville get! LOL! I’m a guy and I have nothing against the network being more inclined to the female viewers, but their target demo isn’t bringing in the numbers that is required for its survival. So making it appeal to men is the only way they can save this network from going down. And the new President will want to change the network’s image radically. Most of the old shows will be ended within the next two seasons, except the top rated ones, no matter how much the fans want it. Also it is funny how one of the best and manliest shows among all the networks, Spnl is on The CW. I hate the network for not promoting it enough.
        And I love Rachel Bilson, but since I’m not a Nielson user and my rating won’t count, I have decided to watch the show after the season ends. If it comes down to Ringer & HOD in the final decision making, I hope the former burns. Ringer, having so many recognizable faces and still bringing in such numbers is a shame. My three shows on this network – Spnl, TVD & TSC are safe for now.

24. Mike says:

Its to early to even speculate about anything on the CW when we haven’t even seen the ratings for spring yet. So it all could be turned upside down by then. Nikita is still very much alive and in the game.

Nikita returns 6th january 2012. keep everyone updated on that

and the areas it was preempted in the episode will air sunday 4th Dec for them

25. tvaddict says:

I really hope the CW renews Nikita. I watch almost every show on the network except ANTM, 90210, and OTH. Can we please just get rid of those shows and keep the rest?

26. Danny C says:

I LOVE Nikita – and hope the ratings aren’t an indication of anything other than – it plays on Friday nights. The show has a great plot, good writers, great actors and tends to draw people who like their hot chicks smarter than most, kicking some serious *ss and able to showcase some major emotional depth. I personally am more intrigued by Alex’s storyline, and am getting a little bored of the whole Mikita drama, but am okay playing along and supporting the show regardless, because the writers definitely keep it interesting overall, the acting is superior, and the story twists are frequently very unexpected and down right entertaining….which is the whole point.

27. Isabelle says:

The finale Nikita episode was so good, they really found their grove again during this season, I’m on the edge of my seat. I hope they can make it to a season3

28. Jasna88 says:

Come on now, we all now why Nikita felt in eps.9 and 10 (ep.9 felt about 100.000 in viewers and ep.10 went do 110.000 AND 0.1 in demo).

Episode 9 was 1sr ep. without Nikita and Michael together. That continued in ep.10. And ratings started tanking from ep9. Coincidence? Dont think so.

29. Jasna88 says:

And of course i agree that Nikita is too quality show and it doesnt belong to CW. I dont know why they picked it in 1st place.

30. MikitaIsForever says:

I Love the show Nikita so much so everyone start watching it more okay! Nikita forever!!