Ratings: Community Inches Up to 2-Month High

NBC’s hiatus-bound Community isn’t heading to the bench without a fight, this Thursday inching up in both total viewers and in the demo to hit two-month highs.

Specifically, the beloved NBC comedy’s penultimate fall/winter episode drew 3.9 million viewers (up 8 percent) and a 1.7 rating (up 6 percent) while facing the X Factor results show, a formidable Big Bang repeat (the night’s most-watched program, with 10.5 million viewers) and ABC’s Santa Claus. Nonetheless, Community was NBC’s lowest-rated laffer for the night and it placed fourth in the 8 o’clock time slot.

Holiday Photos: Community Rings in the Season in a Magical Way

Of NBC’s other Thursday fare, Parks and Rec (3.72 mil/1.8) dipped 10 percent in the demo from its last fresh outing, The Office (5.74 mil/2.9) and Whitney (4 mil/1.9) held steady, and the expiring Prime Suspect (4.63 mil/1.3) copped increases of 7 and 18 percent.

The X Factor Top 7 Results Recap: Simon, Are You OK? Are You OK, Simon?

* As already noted, a Big Bang rerun (10.5 mil/2.9) drew Thursday’s biggest audience, while The X Factor (flat at 10.2 mil/3.1) scored the best demo rating.

* Bones (8.8 mil/2.8) inched up a few percentage points to score its best audience/demo rating since the season opener.

* ABC’s presentation of the CMA Country Christmas special (9 mil/2.1) was up 23 and 50 percent versus a year ago.

What were you tuned into this Thursday evening?

1. Amber says:

For the record, both St Louis and Pittsburgh pre-empted Community in their local areas so the increase in viewers is even more impressive. :) Go Community!!!

Boo St Louis and Pittsburgh >_<

• Tuffie L'Rue says:

I live in Pittsburgh and was LIVID when I turned on my TV at 8:00 and saw that instead of my belvoed Community there was an episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire starring the local news anchows. I am highly encouragin everone to write in to WPXI Pittsburgh and complain that their preempting of Community was unacceptable. They are airing the episode on Saturday at 7:30. I totally agree, BOO Pittsburgh.

• Annie says:

I agree – BOO to WPXI. Poor decision making. I live north of the city, but didn’t realize that they had preempted the show. I watched on the Youngstown station.

2. Annie's Boobs says:

Six seasons and a movie!

3. Natalie says:

Instead of postponing the show, move it back 30 minutes so its not up against one of the highest rated shows on TV (big bang)
    Community is a great show that deserves a better chance

• Rock Golf says:

Exactly. If you’ve got a new Community that only gets 40% of the audience of a competing Big Bang rerun, time to shift the show. Both appeal to the same demographic.
      But I’ll watch Community over BBT, because I figure BBT will rerun for the next 10 years but Community (sigh!) may never be seen again.

• Ethel Beavers says:

I concur. The problem though, is what do you put at 8 on Thursday? BBT gets such a huge audience, what show would pull those numbers over to NBC? I wouldn’t want it to be Community or Parks and Rec, both shows that I love, both shows that have devoted fan bases, both shows that are struggling in the rating. Frankly, I think The Office should be leading off the Thursday night lineup. It has a huge, establishe fanbase. Even if the ratings tank at 8 it was on it’s way out anyway.

4. Chris says:

Seeing as though Rules of Engagement constantly kicks ass and is all but canceled, apparently ratings mean nothing so I wouldn’t get too excited about Community’s lackluster numbers.

5. PutAforkINit says:

So what’s the big deal here. Big Bang Theory was a repeat AND STILL WON. No surprise by a momentary bump in ratings for Community.

6. Ruba says:

Go Community…people whom still watched a repeat of the Big Bang instead of catching a new episode of community…why nerds why? great news

7. Mrs Fassbender says:

If anything happens to this show, somebody better be prepared for all the hell that will be unleashed as a result of it. #SIXSEASONSANDAMOVIE

8. Eric Nixon says:

This is the best show on TV you’re not watching.

• Watt DeFark says:

Completely agree. Community is appointment TV. BBT is “watch in reruns”.

And I’ll watch Community again On Demand because you can never get all the funny with just one viewing

9. Koringe says:

I know I was watching Community live on Thursday :) BBT is for nub nerds.

10. Amy says:

Well Parks and Rec was viewed by 3.72 million households as compared to Community’s 3.92..Hasn’t that happened like the first time this season?

11. Ace says:

WHY does Whitney have more viewers than Parks & Rec??? That’s just wrong, people. (But hooray for Community! Go Greendale Human Beings!)

12. vane says:

I don’t get wats so good about big band theory and I can’t believe Whitney has more rateings the parks and rec that show is the best show NBC has and 30 rock wtf is going on with viewers!

13. Midori says:

Switch Whitney with Community and see how well that sh*t show does at 8pm!

NBC is a fourth place (if they are lucky) network, so yes they will have fourth rated shows. They really need to understand that.

• Christina says:

This was my thought exactly. Place Whitney at the slot and see how long it lasts. The only reason Community has survived, kind of, is because of a committed fanbase. Whitney doesn’t have that and would completely tank during the tough time spot.

• Maggie says:

thats exactly what i was thinking! if that happens, it’ll be the death of Whitney and Community would have a rating of at least 4 or 4.5 million

• Liz says:

Whitney is already sinking. Sure, it held steady this week, but that’s just a kind way of saying that it didn’t recover from the nose-dive it took during its previous airing. At this rate, it would need to sink juuuust a little lower and/or Community rise just a tad bit more to swap places. I hope NBC comes to its senses soon…

14. em says:

Good for Community. When they cut to the anime during the Jeff and Shirley foosball battle, I thought to myself how anyone cannot love watching this show. And Parks and Rec was good last night as usual. More people need to watch that as well.

15. Tinkletown says:

16. WKD2 says:

You people are all wrong, Whitney is the best comedy nbc has on thursday night. The star created her show and co-created cbs’s 2 Broke Girls. My advice to Whitney is get your show off loser nbc and on cbs somehow.

17. Amy says:

I live in the Pittsburgh area and was so annoyed when I saw they weren’t airing Community. Community is amazing. Glad it was up a little even when some areas weren’t even showing it! #sixseasonsandamovie