Maggie Q on Owen's Return to Nikita, Troubling 'Mikita' Woes, Cassandra's Secret and More

Mikita is in trouble, folks, and Cassandra isn’t the only one to blame.

Nikita‘s midseason finale airs tonight (The CW, 8/7c), and with it comes the return of Devon Sawa’s beloved Owen. Thus far, the rogue Guardian has enjoyed a mostly brother/sister-type bond with the spy thriller’s titular character, but given Nikita’s current relationship status (um, nonexistent?), is it any wonder that a visit from her charming friend poses a bit of a romantic threat?

It’s not intentional, says star Maggie Q, but rather a case of Owen being in the right place at the right time — and Michael doing all the wrong things.

“You know when you’re in a situation with someone you love, but they haven’t done things for you that you need?” muses Q. “Well, the danger of that is then being around someone who is.”

Enter Owen.

“Owen has always been the guy who has asked Nikita the right questions and has allowed her to emote. What I love about his relationship with her is that he’s not being a cheeseball or a perv; he’s just being himself. It is in those moments [in Episode 10] that it’s hurting her.

“If he was hitting on her, it’d be easy to [brush him off],” continues Q. “But he’s not. He’s just being something, in the moment, that she needs.”

Look for Owen “to do things for Nikita that Michael never does for her,” including an adorable cooking scene.

Nikita Preview: Dillon Casey on Seducing Alex, Capturing Nikita and Fighting With Amanda

“Albert Kim wrote the script, and there’s this lovely scene where she wakes up, walks in and Owen’s made breakfast for her,” Q reveals. “And there’s this amazing moment where he just blatantly — in his innocent way — says, ‘What does Michael make for you?’ And she has nothing. She doesn’t have anything to say because they don’t make that time for each other.”

Of course, Nikita will uncover the truth about Owen’s ties to Gogol in the same episode, and she is none too happy about it. “You get to see Nikita mad,” she teases with a laugh. “Not just stoic mad, like, ‘W-T-F, caps, caps, caps!”

And take heart, Mikita fans. Q also says that “the Michael and Nikita love is everlasting, certainly,” but that “the problems they’re going through right now are just so genuine.”

“Overall, it’s a really good [episode],” she promises of the fall finale. “It is going to put a tighter hold on fans’ hearts. I don’t think they’re going to have the solution they’re looking for in its entirety [when it comes to Mikita], but it is quite emotional.”

Here’s what else Q had to say about tonight’s ep, “Guardians,” and beyond…

NOW, ABOUT THAT CASSANDRA PROBLEM | True story: Q refers to Helena Mattsson’s polarizing character as “Blondie Blondie” — thought Mikita fans might enjoy that little gem. As for the havoc Cassandra has wreaked on the Nikita/Michael relationship, Q isn’t as lighthearted. “I don’t think [those residual] problems are going to go away immediately,” she shares. “They’re going to come back [in the picture] — Blondie Blondie and Little Boy — and there’s going to be some stuff that happens that ties in to Nikita’s feelings about her own family. It’s actually going to be nice and healing.” That said, “it takes a while for a woman to forget” that her man just let her walk away without trying to dissuade her, and “we haven’t even gone into that,” she explains. “Nikita’s still hoping it will work [with Michael], but… she hasn’t really dealt with her own feelings.” Oh, and there’s this — a tease from Q which will make many of you squee with delight: “We also may find out that Cassandra is not as ‘sweetness and light’ as we might think.”

Nikita Exclusive: 24′s Sarah Clarke Spies Top-Secret Role

REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO… TEMPORARY | After weeks of secretly assisting each other here and there, Nikita and Alex will soon find themselves back on the same side of the gun. “You’re going to see them work together again and it’s going to be lovely,” Q reveals. “It’s such an older sister/younger sister dynamic that goes on [and] it’s nice. You’re going to see some really tender moments with them, too, which I like.” Q adds that the reunion occurs over a “couple of episodes,” but predicts another bout of separation is inevitable.

BEST FRIENDS FOREVER | In case the following was lost on you by the end of the last heart-wrenching episode, “Nikki” and Birkhoff are BFFs. “He is such an integral part of what they do, and he’s so important to their story now because they’re a team,” Q muses. “I like that he had that moment of sacrifice.” Adds the actress, with a sly smile, “She loves him, he’s her friend. But when his hand heals, you’re going to see Nikita back to making fun of him. It’s going to be great.”

TAGS: , , , , , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews

1. Mikaylah says:

I love Nikita. It is such a great show, and I care about all the characters. I really like the dynamic between Nikita and Owen, so I am a little hesitant about how that might become romantic. I hope things work out for Nikita and Michael. I am also excited to see Nikita and Alex working together. I think they really represent the saying that family isn’t just people you are related to by blood, but the people who love you, support you, protect you and vice versa. And I completely agree about Nikita and Birkoff. Love those two!

2. aprilglaspie says:

Why couldn’t somone, anyone just show the old series with Peta Wilson instead?

• Jen says:

YES, Jesus thank you. LFN is a better show than Nikita. Iv’e seen both and it’s impossible to watch Nikita without wanting to laugh and cry…because it’s that bad.

There’s no mystery. When all they do is emote, there’s no mystery. WALTER from LFN did a better job of keeping secrets than thees idiots. And I just LOVE (sarcasm) the lack of original plots and melodrama. How many kids does Michael have to have?

• Sally says:

How many episodes of the new Nikita have you actually seen? Season 2 right now has the quality that matches LFN, and even surpasses it In a few episodes.

Nikita has made a new show for itself. It shouldn’t even be compared to LFN any longer, not since season 1 episode 11.

As for the melodrama, you seem to be forgetting that LFN had plenty of that as well…

• MH says:

Ok the two of you got to move on. This is the new version of Nikita, some of us never heard or seen the old version.. If you got nothing nice to say, just don’t comment.

3. Tim says:

yeah, it’s hard not to compare it to the original series. and i don’t buy that Nikita and Birkhoff are best friends—not like they were on the original. for season one of this version, Birkhoff was an asshole and was not friendly to michael or nikita–they’ve just totaly did a 180 with his character—he still comes off as sleezy and skeezy to me–maybe it’s the hair?

• Carrie says:

I get the impression that they were friends when Nikita actually worked for Division, then they were on opposite sides, but always felt affection for one another. Now, Birkhoff is clearly on her side and Michael’s. I think he was just pretending to be a creep last season. Look at Michael and Nikita. For a long time, it seemed like he was her enemy.

4. JJ says:

Thanks Meg! Not only curious about Mikita vs. Owen/Nikita, but Ryan/Nikita. I could see Owen/Nikita even if Owen killed Daniel because who other than Nikita knows it was just an order.

Ryan/Nikita I think is more distinct w/ Mikita. Michael is more duty and staying on mission. Whereas, Ryan has shown to be more concerned about Nikita’s feeling/emotions over the mission. For example, in the ‘The Next Seduction’, when Nikita checks in w/ Ryan, his priority is Nikita’s feelings not the status of the mission vs. in ‘Clawback’, Michael calms her down to focus on how to save Birkoff rather then “talk” after her blowup why he wasn’t there.

Yes, Owen is also a change considering if he was with Nikita (as he told Michael) he would just runaway with Nikita and stop with this mission of killing Percy.

Yes! More Nikita/Alex action… finally.

5. David says:

OMG Can’t wait!

6. Sally says:

Thank you Megan for the Nikita scoop as always!

I’ve been invested in Nikita/Owen since season 1 episode 6. Been waiting for this!

I’m looking forward to how Owen will be tied into Gogol’s hit on Alex. If the episode ends with some kind of cliffhanger involving that…oh man.

Great show, best on The CW right now. Also one of my favorites of all TV.

• Lena120 says:

Me too! I absolutely LOVE Owen and I want him and Nikita together. But I think it might turn into an unrequited love situation. Like, he’s fallen in love with her but knows he doesn’t have a shot because of her connection with Michael.It’s like he’ll always be the “back-up guy.” I think they’ll continue to do a flirtatious push and pull, but I don’t think they’ll actually give us them as bf/gf. Maybe just a passionate roll in the hay and that’s it?

7. MH says:

I love this show, Nikita is the BEST show the CW has. I love that Michael is coming back. BTW if I remember correctly Season 2 episode 3 Michael gave a massage to Nikita, so thats something, he has done for her. Season 1 episode 4, he saved her life, season 1 episode 20, they were in a diner eating ice cream, season 2 episode 4, he saves her again, season 2 episode 7, he saves her again. On the other hand, when Owen started showing up in season 1, he was always beating her.

8. BATS says:

Luv Nikita ! I have not missed an episode for Season 2. Pray that it does not get cancel ! Its my favorite show for the Fall/Winter Season.

9. Brandon says:

Nikita is the best tv since buffy seasons 2 and 3. Nikita and Alex are the best team! And I like Owen for nicki! Can’t wait to see the reveal about alex’s mother still alive and lying.