Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Derek and Addison Reunite, But There's a Doozy of a Twist!

Grey’s Anatomy is pulling a Fringe.

In a February 2012 sweeps episode, the docs at Seattle Grace will be making their rounds in an alternate reality, as the ABC drama ponders the provocative question, “What if things had been different — very different.”

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Grey’s, Glee, Revenge, Sons of Anarchy, Pretty Little Liars and More!

Specifically, Meredith imagines what life would’ve been like had her late mother Ellis never had Alzheimer’s, a traumatic situation that shaped Mer into the dark-and-twisty wife and MD she is today.

A Grey’s rep declined to comment, but TVLine has confirmed that Kate Walsh will play a big role in the mind-trippy episode. Why? Because in this alt-reality, Derek and Addison — wait for it — never broke up!

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Castle, Gossip Girl, New Girl and More!

And while Walsh is the only former series regular returning, an insider confirms that other Grey’s alums will be back — including a certain victim of the Seattle Grace Massacre of 2010, who shall not be named. (Follow me on Twitter for clues.)

And to be sure, Derek, Mer and Addison aren’t the only characters who get pulled into this new dimension. “Everyone is affected,” says the insider.

Grey’s Anatomy resumes Season 8 on Jan. 5.

Thoughts? Predictions? Excited to see Grey’s taking such creative risks in its eighth season? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Patrick says:

And what if Burke comes back? EPIC! If we could just get Burke, Izzie, George, Reed, Charles, and Meredith’s mother, and Sidney (I just loved her character.) all back. It’d be one hell of an episode!!!!!

Ah, dreams….

2. Lyssa says:

I think this will be a very interesting episode to watch. “what if” this can go in so many directions. It can be like stated Addy and Derek are together there can be other actors brought in with cameo appearances and there will be some much to take in. Whether it is just Mer’s AU or if it takes us through everyone seeing their own.
    As for the break in time right now. It’s not that they don’t have any other shows that they can think of… They are contracted for a certain amount of shows for the season and they stretch them to fit. Plus duh Jessica Capshaw in real life was pregnant and I’m sure this scheduled break cam e as a relief to her. So she has time to take a break recover all that jazz.
    That’s my two cents, still can’t wait til Feb!!!

3. Linda says:

They should have never let George leave.

4. Courtney says:

I think it would be interesting to have the shooter come back and have something bad happen to HIM instead of him doing it.

5. Paul says:

I wish George was never killed off the show, he was one of the best characters (Christina & M. Baily being the other two).

However, it will be nice to see Kate Walsh back on a show. I hate her on Private Pracatice, a show that has some of the most boring characters on TV. P.P. is a waste of her character, maybe she should move back to G.A. for good!

6. Amber Shay says:

I hope burke comes back and pays for his lack of respect for yang and for jilting her with the harpor avery award. Ahole

• Allison says:

LOL my thoughts exactly. Then have Cristina fall madly in love with her soul mate and succeed in her career. I want to see Cristina have it all – Owen and a Harper Avery.

7. CiCi says:

I am beyond excited for this episode. Izzie was my favorite and many others. It would be a dream come true if she returned! Since it says Kate is the only past series regular returning, I am doubtful about Katherine Heigl coming back for this episode. If you want Izzie back go like this Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/1-Million-To-Get-Izzie-Katherine-Heigl-Back-On-Greys/232464396790766 1 Million To Get Izzie Back… Shonda Rhymes & Katherine Heigl have both stated they would be okay with Izzie returning… I think if enough fans push for it we can make it happen. What is Grey’s without its fans? Can’t wait for this episode! Grey’s fans are the best.

8. Alex says:

It probably won’t be Izzy because Katherine Hiegl wanted to stay away from Grey’s to not be known as just “Izzy” (like Jennifer Aniston was known as Rachel). Plus since she’s a mother now, she probably doesn’t want to have to film another episode. As far as George goes, the actor left because the guy who played Dr. Burke , insulted him about being gay–not because Grey producers didn’t give him a plot line. I loved these characters, but they probably won’t be in this show.

9. s says:

We have to remember that Addison still cheated on Derek with Mark. I still think Derek will be miserable in this marriage with Addison. In the end they’ll show MerDer truly belong together :) But I wouldn’t mind a What If with Mer and Alex or a return with McVet.

• Nathan says:

It’s an alternative reality. It is quite possible Mark and Addison never happened and Derek and Addison are happy. It’s possible some characters never crossed paths in this universe. It’s possible some did meet, but ended up being related to one another in ways that are completely different from what we’re used it. Either way, it’s only a one episode thing that’s not gonna affect the other universe, the current Grey’s Anatomy reality, in any way. No big deal.

10. goldie says:

i would love to see izzy katherine hiegl come back to grey”s.

11. Kara says:

It would be awsome if some how Derek or Mark or even Alex were the ones to give Addison her baby she is wanting on private practice. They need to do more cross over episodes between the two shows.

12. Carlyn says:

Turn back time, I would love to see Cristina have Owen’s baby.,

13. kkandros says:

SERIOUSLY!

14. Jody says:

Very glad to hear that Kate Walsh is the only “former series regular returning.” I’ll take the “other Grey’s alums” returning any day over the former regulars, especially IW.

15. Viggy says:

I love Owen. As long as he’s there, I’m good…besides, it’s one episode of “what if”. I bet Charles returns for this episode.
    Btw, I do believe that George will just show up after his 3 yr tour is over & shock the crud out of everyone! Lol! Lexie has a photographic memory & she knew it wasn’t him. Who knows what the person was trying to tell Mre by writing on her hand. I don’t gamble but I’d be willing to wager on this (:

16. Leo says:

Isn´t Kate Walsh a man? I mean look at her. She is huge. Der looks so tiny. And her head is giant. She is very masculine. Maybe she is a trasgender.

17. DW says:

I don’t want to see Addison back with Derek. Meredith and Derek should be together. Addison sleeps with everyone.
    Definetely it would be interesting to see Meredith’s Mother working with her not having Alzheimer’s. How would Richard act? Will Meredith know about their affair years ago? Let’s see that play out!!

• LOL says:

LOL,are you listening to yourself…Addison gets blamed for being a whore for cheating(Derek,Mark,Callie,Alex,etc…they all cheated,but they aren’t called anything for it)but Meredith gets a pass.First of all,she slept with a married man(hello,prom anyone?)I do not care if he’s Prince-McFreaking-Charming…plus,she slept with:George,McVet,The guy with the broken penis and don’t get me started on Death/Die Adventures in Europe..plus,with all the tequila that she used to drink,what do you think she did,went home and slept?
      So,basically,STFU!

• simsima says:

I agree with you:))

18. Monika says:

Isaiah Washington needs to come back!!!!!!

19. Kathy says:

Is the 8th season going to be the last. I seriously hope not. Would like to know, if anyone knows for sure,.

20. McKinley says:

It’s either Dr. Reed or Dr. Clark

21. Melanie says:

People, people… it’s ok. I see a LOT of angry people on here pissed about Derek and Meredith not being together. Remember, it’s JUST ONE EPISODE. A “what if” episode. It’s not going to tear them apart. The very next week, guess what? They’re back together again! Everything will be okay.

22. Ashley says:

I really liked Burk I wish they would bring him back

23. alisha says:

Will izzy be back?? I hope so and George too!!!!

24. mhaffy says:

i wish all of the original cast of season 1 – Dr.Burke for Cristina, George for Callie, Izzie for Alex (that izzie didnt meet danny)

25. JUANITA says:

IS IT MANDY MOORE …OR DID SHE DIE AFTER?

26. John says:

Lol I am going to guess Richard and Mer’s mom got together then.

27. Pamela says:

George definitely. When he left, the heart of the show left with him. I love them all, but he was their heart.

28. Babygate says:

I am loving this idea! Yes!!! for Addison coming back. I still miss her on GA but I know she was severely underused so I’m glad Kate Walsh got her own gig but I love it every time she crosses over. Sounds like this epi might be epic, if they do it right. And I’m hoping this means we’ll get Ellis back. She should have never been killed. I loved the mother/daughter dynamic. They played so well off of each other. I feel like her story was cut too short.

29. Mama G says:

Shondra Rhimes is the rock star of writers. Every season ender always has me holding my breath, saying “No Way”, and “Wow, I never saw that coming”. We all talk the McTalk now. We use words like “Seriously, My Person, and Va-J-J” like it is part of everyday language.. Shondra has a gift for writing and the cast is awesome.

30. Cheryl says:

Sounds like another episode as bad and stupid as the singing one.

31. shelby says:

Derek and Mer are soulmates, addison already had her shot!! If they split up it will be horrible!! It would be great though if they brought izzie back.

32. Ana says:

I have to ask, WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP ASKING FOR GEORGE TO COME BACK??? He is dead!!! I know, Denny was dead and managed to come back quite a bit but the difference is that Jeffery Dean Morgan actually LIKED playing Denny. TR Knight couldn’t wait to leave GA. He bitched and moan until he got his wish so people should let him go already. I thought George was the funniest character and he would have kicked everyone’s ass as a Chief Resident, but he’s gone. And so is Izzie. If she chooses to come back, fine, but if she doesn’t, good riddance. She wanted to do something bigger and wanted out. She had a bad attitude. So, people need to let it go and respect her decision to leave GA. Geez. It gets aggravating when people keep asking Shonda if Izzie is coming back or keep bemoaning the loss of George.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I think it’d be awesome if George came back. Maybe it was all a ruse so he could go deep, deep undercover with the Mob.

33. lmgillespie says:

Thought the same thing about that show and now that I’m watching it I love it and Dr king is my favorite too!

34. Will says:

I miss Izzie…

35. char says:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Debra Centurion says:

I would love to see George come back. He was/is my favorite charactor

37. Gabriella says:

Okay, I always hated Derek/Meredith (and Meredith in general) and LOVED Derek/Addison (and Addison in general LOL) so this should be a lot of fun.

38. char says:

What if Yangs x were to come back eventually after reality kicks back in. If Owen left Yang for Teddy Yang would totally take him back

39. 5eriously says:

I agree its probably Mandy Moore, returning. Hope fully, this only lasts one episode! Its better when writers to do this “what if” with comedys like they did with “Friends” but with a drama like greys, i really prefer to see what happens next

40. Anne says:

I disagree. I loved it! In fact, I’ve watched it several times!

41. isah soria-palisoc says:

What?! Alice and Derek! Oh my? So excited for season 8!

42. Mj says:

Love to see this episode… Just hope there’s no Izzie or George… No offense to actors but the characters were irrating!!

43. Damilola says:

What is happening to Izzie? I miss George so much. I hope little grey and Mark will get back together.

44. Tiffany says:

Ok I would really like it if ABC can get it together and stop these 30days or more cliffhangers. How in the heck are you going to go out with the Cardiac Surgeons husband dying on the operating table to a “What if” episode!? I love that they are keeping us on our toes but dang we had to wait months for the season to start again and now here we go with this break in schedule mess. Stop messing up our Thursdays and give us what we want. I’m sorry but watching idiotic reality shows is not my idea of how I spend my Thursdays.

Stop bs’ing us on our season time unless you plan on making up for this uncalled for lost time!
    Signed irritated but dedicated Grey’s Fan *Drops Mic and Walks Away* LOL

• Cinders says:

The “what if” episode is not until February. We are going back to the cardiac surgeon’s dead husband debacle on January 5.

45. Elle says:

Really would like to see George back!!!

46. Elizabeth says:

I think the it’s great that Grey’s is always looking for new and innovative story lines. It definitely not complacent. I am looking forward to the next season!

47. Xhantelle says:

The actor that played george quit because one of the other actors was a homophobe and would harass him. Yes George is actually gay!

48. Amber Schriekenberg says:

What if Meredith´s mom didnt have Alzheimer’s, her dad wouldn´t drink, George wouldn´t be dead and Izzy could have marrierd her dreamguy without the drama of his death. What if that god owfull eppisode where everybody sings was never shown on tv.

49. Davia says:

Im actually looking forward to this episode. Its going to be interesting to see how much different life would be for Meredith. I dont agree with bringing George or Izzie back because they were my LEAST favorite characters. George was whiney and pathetic to me and Izzie was just…ugh. Addison,despite her flawed moral compass was always my favorite. You MerDer fans can say what you want about Addie sleeping with Mark but technically Meredith’s a homewrecker, I mean how can you explain Meredith sleeping with Derek at prom while he was still married to Addison-and this was before McSteamy stepped back into the picture. I cant say Im a fan of Addek, but it would be nice to see if Addison FINALLY gets a baby on one of these shows…I seriously think that Greys has at least 2 more seasons of life left in it but I think Shonda Rhimes and company aren’t utilizing the talent and ideas…looks like this is gonna be the second season in a row where private practice has the better storylines and writing, but Greys gets all of the attention…its almost like Private Practice is the ugly step child in this situation, but oh well…

50. Twinkle says: