Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Derek and Addison Reunite, But There's a Doozy of a Twist!

Grey’s Anatomy is pulling a Fringe.

In a February 2012 sweeps episode, the docs at Seattle Grace will be making their rounds in an alternate reality, as the ABC drama ponders the provocative question, “What if things had been different — very different.”

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Grey’s, Glee, Revenge, Sons of Anarchy, Pretty Little Liars and More!

Specifically, Meredith imagines what life would’ve been like had her late mother Ellis never had Alzheimer’s, a traumatic situation that shaped Mer into the dark-and-twisty wife and MD she is today.

A Grey’s rep declined to comment, but TVLine has confirmed that Kate Walsh will play a big role in the mind-trippy episode. Why? Because in this alt-reality, Derek and Addison — wait for it — never broke up!

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Castle, Gossip Girl, New Girl and More!

And while Walsh is the only former series regular returning, an insider confirms that other Grey’s alums will be back — including a certain victim of the Seattle Grace Massacre of 2010, who shall not be named. (Follow me on Twitter for clues.)

And to be sure, Derek, Mer and Addison aren’t the only characters who get pulled into this new dimension. “Everyone is affected,” says the insider.

Grey’s Anatomy resumes Season 8 on Jan. 5.

Thoughts? Predictions? Excited to see Grey’s taking such creative risks in its eighth season? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. savannah says:

I would sooooo love to felictey I love desperate housewives greys and bones thoes have to be the best shows anyway would love to see her on greys

2. Petunia says:

This is gonna be lame, because you know Izzy, George, and Burke will not be returning. Kinda hard to do a what if episode without those major characters

3. sarabeth says:

the returning recurring character is DR. PERCY, the mercy west doctor, who was shot in the gunman story. they already announced this.

4. rebecca says:

I so totally agree could not stand her she was a waste!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Christy says:

I would love to see George again, I miss him the most

6. Greggie says:

Why does everyone like George so much? He sucked so bad! I miss Izzie and Denny!

7. Liz Jara says:

George was in an episode of law and order Suv where he played a twin Very awesome performance

8. kris10 says:

Gray’s jumped the shark with the musical episode. This sounds like a mess to me… OY.

9. Mita says:

what if grey’s anatomy never did a musical episode?

10. greysanatomy says:

i hate Derek and addison
    Merder forever!!!

11. Meagan says:

George left the show cause Burke in real life doesn’t like gays and George didn’t want to have to be submitted to his narrow mind so the killed him off then everyone hated Burke for that so he left and they killed him off . Burkes a jerk !!!

12. Juana says:

OMG I love private practice but GA is my first choice they should let George come back I’m soooo addicted to the show I watch the reruns just in case I missed something it’s something about it that sucks me in I turn off my phone and put everybody out the room cause I just can’t miss any of it lol.

13. s says:

LOL When I first saw the title I thought something was going to really happen between these two. I kinda let GA go but this is kinda having me want to WATCH again! You see Shonda when you focus on MerDer or Alex I care :)

14. Johnetta says:

I love George its him or Izzy

15. s says:

I seriously doubt they’ll ever get Burke to make a return which is a bummer because I really liked his character. I do think both George and Izzie will make returns but probably not until the end of the series.

16. Elle says:

I would like to think George would be back !!! I still think it wasn’t him that died!!! I mean all we got told was that it was him cause of the Texas freckle Cali seen x I miss George and izzy x

17. Mia says:

Whatever you do, don’t touch Mer or Derek.

18. Barb says:

Hope this isn’t a hot mess like the singing show. HORRIBLE!! Let’s see what would happen if Callie loved men…Mark! Not interested in George coming back because they killed him even though I loved him.

19. Liz says:

Ugh, NOOO!!! NO Derek & Addison please! Derek is Meredith’s soulmate, the red head is just good to sleep with married men! (though I like Kate Walsh a lot! But her character is horrible!).

20. Alona says:

George… I wish Alex wanted to leave the show because he is a bit anoying. George fit in better with the group.

21. anna says:

God I hope they don’t bring izzy back I hated when she left alex cuz that really crushed him even if he was not willing to admit it!!

22. madhatter360 says:

I wonder if Kate Burton will be returning for the episode? I assume that if Ellis never got sick she would have continued practicing medicine. Maybe she’s the chief?

23. tina says:

That sounds stupid. I wish a stupid storyline like that surprised me about Shonda Rhimes…but it doesn’t.

24. Alia says:

Maybe the point should be Derek and Addison got divorce before Derek went to Seattle, and to be with Meredith from the beginning. MerDer Forever.

25. Megan says:

I personally love episodes like this! I loved when friends did it especially. I am excited to see how this will turn out…. Here is what I am thinking…

Richard decided to stay with Ellis and they raised Merideth together which made her childhood a whole lot better (which also gets rid of the dark and twisty side of her) and beause Ellis is so happy and taking good care of herself she doesn’t develope Ahlzeimers. Merideth still goes to Med school and works at Seattle Grace along side her mom and Richard, Maybe?? And it would be SOOO cool if they brought back Finn for Mer because she obviously won’t be with Derek.

And since Goerge and Izzie are not in the show and won’t be coming back maybe the do it as if No one ever heard of George or Izzie so that way Alex can be apart of the episode… maybe they will even say what if Alex and Merideth got together.. weird, but possible.

There are so many possibilities for this episode I can’t wait to see what comes of it…

26. megan says:

Oh and people really need to shut up about George coming back… I am sorry, I LOVED George and wish somehow he could… but he is DEAD. Shonda says herself she can’t bring him back… And I bet he doesn’t want to come back anyways.
    The only one who has hope for returning is IZZIE.
    I asked her on twitter if she would come back and she told me she would love to put on izzies scrubs once again. If you don’t believe me go look at her twitter @Kheigl it is verified that it is her… so she would def. come back and Shonda always says that anything is possible….

27. JoAnn Grubbs says:

Enough of the Merideth vs McDreamy conflicts. Can’t we just see them happy with a baby and a home? This long drawn-out quest for happiness is growing old. I don’t want to imagine what might have happened if…. I just want to see Meredith and Derek happy once and for all. I want to see how they will work together as parents; how Meredith will conquer all her fears from the past. This show is getting too painful to watch.

28. carolyn says:

Ditto

29. Caitlin says:

I’d rather have George return than Addison!

30. Tara says:

Sounds interesting. Now if only Shonda would remove the stupid “Created by Shonda Rhimes” card, then all would be well.

31. Jesica says:

I would love to see Denny too!!! Ahhh So excited! I want it to be on right now!!!

32. Kim says:

YES!!! BRING GEORGE BACK!!
    T.R. Knight

33. susela says:

Oh, no, that Pixie girl is coming back? Eww.

34. Lynn Jellow says:

They’re not “creative risks” – it’s jump the shark time cause the show’s run out of plausible storylines; three years pretty much makes for a really good series, then it gets a little weird, but I’ll still watch!!!!

35. Caro says:

I don’t see the point of doing such an episode while SR can write so many good stories. Why waste screen time? Doesn’t she have enough inspiration? To write beautiful love stories for Ben & Bailey? For Mark & Lexie? Even possibly April & Jackson, although I don’t care about them AT ALL?
    I’m puzzled… on why wasting so much precious time and opportunities…

36. terri says:

BURKE!!!!

37. kate says:

I hope Scott Foley will be in it! I miss Henry already! Still devastated coz he died.

38. Steph G says:

I don’t miss George, he ís overrated!Bring back Burk, that was such a big mistake!

39. anna says:

Whoaaaaaa !!! It sound’s amazing !!! But i don’t think it would be George , because it says that it would be a certain victim of the Seattle Grace Massacre of 2010….maybe Dr Adamson or Dr. Percy. But i would like to see Izy again . “Although Katherine Heigl left the show in season 6 it has been confirmed that her character, Isobel Stevens, will have a proper closure to her relationship with Karev. Rhimes says that she “doesn’t know” of the possibility of Heigl’s return” from wikipedia

40. Brit says:

I really miss Burke. Maybe I’m the only one, but I really like what he added to the show. I would think in an alt. universe he’d still be there, but that’s only wishful thinking.

41. sabrina says:

I think it will be an amazing episode. I hope there’s alternate universes for many of the characters.

42. Pam says:

It’s not that creative. Friends did it years ago.

43. Molly says:

What I’d love for once in a ‘what if?’ episode, is for it not to end with things looking like they wouldn’t have turned out the same anyway, i.e. Derek going to a bar and meeting Meredith, just a few years later. I would love Grey’s to pull out what they do best, a dramatic episode, filled with nostalgia at the end when it turns out Derek and Addison would’ve worked through their problems and been happy, and Meredith being a normal person and settling down with someone (not gonna lie- i’m not the biggest MerDer shipper)

44. Heather says:

Even if the returning characters were Reed or Charles.. They both died in the shooting. How will they bring them back? It’ll be too sketchy and unrealistic. People don’t just rise from the dead.

45. Claire Heffer says:

stolen the idea from a Friends episode but i dont care, anything which means kate walsh comes back for a greys episode is fine by me!

46. kbooga says:

Can we get TWO of these episodes!

47. Munchkin says:

YES, George O’Malley was a great character….the way he departed was tragic but heroic! Bring him back somehow!!!

48. Patrick says:

I think the chick from the Seattle Grace Massacre of 2010 will be Reed. I would love to see George O’Malley and Izzie again, but I think that’s a unrealistic wish, which is horribly sad…I wish they’d come back just for this episode.

49. lyn ozawa says: