Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Derek and Addison Reunite, But There's a Doozy of a Twist!

Grey’s Anatomy is pulling a Fringe.

In a February 2012 sweeps episode, the docs at Seattle Grace will be making their rounds in an alternate reality, as the ABC drama ponders the provocative question, “What if things had been different — very different.”

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Grey’s, Glee, Revenge, Sons of Anarchy, Pretty Little Liars and More!

Specifically, Meredith imagines what life would’ve been like had her late mother Ellis never had Alzheimer’s, a traumatic situation that shaped Mer into the dark-and-twisty wife and MD she is today.

A Grey’s rep declined to comment, but TVLine has confirmed that Kate Walsh will play a big role in the mind-trippy episode. Why? Because in this alt-reality, Derek and Addison — wait for it — never broke up!

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Castle, Gossip Girl, New Girl and More!

And while Walsh is the only former series regular returning, an insider confirms that other Grey’s alums will be back — including a certain victim of the Seattle Grace Massacre of 2010, who shall not be named. (Follow me on Twitter for clues.)

And to be sure, Derek, Mer and Addison aren’t the only characters who get pulled into this new dimension. “Everyone is affected,” says the insider.

Grey’s Anatomy resumes Season 8 on Jan. 5.

Thoughts? Predictions? Excited to see Grey’s taking such creative risks in its eighth season? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. nickie says:

Wish it was george or izzie

2. Jenny says:

Yay i want george back the show is not the same without him

3. Delores R.N. says:

Sounds like Grey’s is nearing the end and grasping at anything to keep viewers, which is actually pushing some away. Think about what it was the made Grey’s so good to begin with. Sure we got to know the Interns, but the main draw was the patients and interaction between staff and patients. It’s gone off track to be personal lives and soap opera with a little medicine toss in. BORING. And that is what is killing HOUSE also.

4. Dan says:

It’s a whole different, alternate reality. It doesn’t mean that Ellis not having Alzheimer’s has anything Derek and Addison never broke up, it just is an alternate timeline in which things are different.

5. PJ says:

I would love to see Izzie again! Forget Addison, forget George…give us Izzie! ;)

6. TSA says:

I do not want Derek and Addison to be together at all…very very wrong!!!

7. Sara says:

This looks like a hot mess already….

8. Samantha says:

OMG! I cannot wait. I have always wondered, “What if Derek & Addison had never broken up?” Now I get to see it!

9. Nice says:

Think she meant the “gun shooting” not the shooting of the show.

10. Jena says:

It would be a great twist if Dereck and Addison had a one night and she got pregnant! Now that’s Dram….

• Torie says:

That would be awesome! I like Mer but I always liked Addy better…though not necessarily with Derrick. I thought he should have made an appearance on PP for the intervention and slept with Addy then but hey…that’s just me.

11. andoug11 says:

Does anyone even pay attention that the people being brought back were in the shooting episode…..that means no George, no Izzie, no Denny

12. miranda says:

I love greys the way it is I would love to see mer and derek finally happy and be able to have a child of there own it always nice to change it up but I hope they don’t mess with mer and derek

13. Fawn says:

oh please George and Izzie. Love them. Ya know what if the man really wasnt George that died and he did go off but just never kept in contact with anyone. And could never think of Merideth ever being with anyone else

14. SLee says:

ummm this says its an episode in feb the show comes back in jan pretty sure they gonna cover the teddy situation in a month :/

15. Ilaria Marilli says:

It’s #addek and I’m happy

16. xandra says:

This sounds so exciting… I’d also like to see Dr. Preston Burke to come back…

17. Addy says:

At the bottom of my heart, I dreamed this would happen

18. Daniela says:

BRING BACK DR. BURKE :D

• Erica says:

Hated arrogant Burke but excited to see Addison back. It would be interesting to see how Owen would be if he never experienced the war – would Owen and Cristin still found each other. Since I see them as soulmates, I think they would have.

19. jane says:

I agree with the three above comments. This episode seems like the writers r bored and can’t come up with anything else. Would be funny if burke came back, he was sexy. I second that Reid sucks, but I bet it will be her or that lame guy who loved her…what’s his name. No George or izzie for sure, they were original regulars. And screw Addison, she’s a cold hard bitch mostly.

20. kitty says:

I loved the musical episode.

21. Kasey says:

I think this sound really interesting! There’s so many people that could return and so many “what ifs” they could show.

22. Jenny says:

Kate Walsh back on GA? Yes!
    I think Henry should be back and alive in this AU world. If they put Teddy and Owen together for the episode, I might throw something at the TV.

23. laura says:

I did not like the musical and I don’t think I will like this…I want to see what is really happening with these characters. Stay with the story line. Pleeeeaaaasssee!!

24. georgie says:

i’m waiting for the end! enough is enough!

25. Chelsea says:

what if they do bring george back but george and mer are dating!!!! and they were dating when he was supposed to have died…. he would have been looking at the other girl on the road.. cause he would have been happy with mer… oh my gosh my mind is racing!!!

26. Anne says:

No it will not be Gg or anyone who died. How could it be? And I want Grey to stay with McDreamy. So there. PLEASE do not put him back with Addison, she is just slutty sometimes, though she dresses not that part, she is.

27. Jen says:

“They” did not get rid of him, he wanted off the show. I wish that were different too!

28. Amanda says:

This sounds so awesome. I’m seriously excited.

29. Sapphire says:

I think that since Addison is trying to get pregnant, when she comes back, her and Derek are going to have a fling and she is going to end up getting pregnant because she is taking all of those fertility shots. Mer can’t have a baby, so “Who Knows” what could happen from this.

• madhatter360 says:

Addison is not coming back and having a fling with Derek. The episode is a “what-if”. If Derek and Addison never broke up, she would never have been off on Private Practice trying to get pregnant. Meredith wouldn’t know she can’t have kids because she wouldn’t have tried to get pregnant with Derek, because they wouldn’t be together. I think the plot you described sounds interesting, but it’s not even remotely what they’ve described here.

30. splover09 says:

They both weren’t there. George had already died and Izzie left. I wish they were back but they weren’t involved in the shooting. Maybe Mandy Moore, or either of the two regulars that got shot (reed, and

31. Amber says:

I do not like this idea. I like Der and mer together.

32. Brianna says:

I want a “What if Burke never left Christina at the alter” alt world. I know a lot of people hated him…but I didn’t.

33. mar says:

Maybe George had A TWIN, LETS HOPE.

34. Victhaney says:

2 ppl that could be returning: The girl with short hair who died first? Or it could be the guy who died in Bailey’s arms

35. Heather says:

I wish George and Izzie would come back, it will make it all the hott and interesting.

36. Joni says:

As long as they don’t sing, I’m looking forward to it.

37. lyn says:

Love your list of what ifs!!!!! And…….what if Burke hadn’t left :( I miss him.

38. Mandy says:

I wonder if they are bringing back a patient that died in the massacre but didn’t have to or one of the interns that died?? I’m actually anxiously excited just to see who it could be!

39. MD says:

Wish Burke would come back.

40. Chrissy says:

Your joking right? The shooting happened after they left! I would love to see thrm back too cause it would just make the ep even more interesting but I hate to say it….. No gorge or iz :(

41. Judy says:

I think it will be Burke or Izzy! I love George and all but if people start coming back from the dead that to me is a little extreme…Just saying…

• Ann says:

It won’t be Burke or Izzy. They said Addy was the only regular returning. It’s one of the Mercy-Westers that will apart of the big shooting at the hospital.

42. Sylvia says:

I want to know why they only had a couple new episodes and now we have to wait till February for more :(

43. Ann says:

I am looking forward to this. I unlike most though, loved the musical episode. For as amazing as it would be that George or Denny would come back. I know it won’t happen. I’d be okay if none of those Mercy-Westers came back.

44. caduceus says:

Izzie/ all of the characters acted by Katherine Heigl are vapid and neurotically annoying. George was fabulous, I LOVED denny, in fact I would climb that man like a jungle gym if given the opportunity. But heigl makes my left eye twitch so badly that if they ever brought George or denny back, I would hope it was under some cliched identical twins separated at birth, or faked death or something. I bet its the shooter because in an alternate reality his wife never died. He was a mentally ill man who had a psychotic break triggered by death. Perhaps in this alternate reality there was no merger between mercy west and Seattle grace thus evil pixie, doofus and even chief resident chipmunk were never there……

45. ashli says:

Ok people george will never come back unless he had a twin brother that was never metioned. HE DIED WE JUST HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT. AND HE LEFT THE SHOW BECAUSE HE GOT HARRASSED BY DOC BURKE IN REAL LIFE FOR BEING GAY. HENCE Y DR BURKE NOT BEING ON THE SHOW. IZZY OR THE TWO MERCY WEST CHARACTERS WOULD BE THE ONLY ONES REMOTLY POSSIBLE TO SHOW BACK UP. BUT IF IT IS THE SHOOTING CHARACTERS ITS HAS TO BE THE MERCY WEST CHARACTERS OR MANDY MOORED CHARACTER. do the reseach! watch the show and pay attention! geeze!

46. Ashley says:

What about Berck you guys?!?! Doent anyone want him back? I think it will throw a good twist into things with Owen and Christina and with Teddy losing her hasband, and still loving Owen.

• Torie says:

I think it would too, but he wasn’t in the shooting episode. I think they would be safe bringing him back now that George isn’t there anymore. I think they painted him to be such a bad guy but I liked him.

47. Bettina says:

I wished other former regulars would have returned as well. This is nothing against Kate Walsh, I just didn’t care much for the character of Addison. I do watch “Private Practice” sometimes but not because of her.

If Izzy had returned there might be the chance of another Danny story, like him getting a heart and not ending up dead.

If Burke had returned there there might have been the chance of Cristina not having the tubal pregnancy, she might have kept the baby (I hoped she didn’t have the abortion in the current season, it was heart breaking to me due to several reasons. I think as a doctor she should know better how to prevent a precnancy. If she never wants children she should use some kind of birth controll!) and they would have gotten married.

That puts Owen in the picture. What if he and Teddy became a thing instead of him and Cristina? Oh, or if Teddy’s husband didn’t die on the table? Another great turn in my opinion. Seeing their life while he’s in medical school.

So many ideas, so little time in that one hour that gets cut short due to commercials. 40 minutes only. What to do, what to see? Or did they plan a double episode?

Now I know why the “Mirror universe” was so popular with other Star Trek fans while I could never care less. Because of these great opportunities without realy chaning a character, just changing some of its history. Damn, I love time travel episodes due to the fact that they can change the present with little things. But I’m definatly heading to sci-fi way too much right now.

48. Tracey says:

Cannot wait. This sounds really interesting and fun! Go Shonda!

49. cc says:

I loved having Izzy and George, but they had differences with Shonda Rimes, so they aren’t coming back.. no Iizy means no Denny (beautiful man). The shooter (Mr. Clark) was kind of left in the dust after the shooting.. never really was clarified if he was dead. Ried sucked, nosedive (Percy) was ok. Maybe Mandy Moore? If no mer-der, maybe mer-mark? Excited for whatever GA throws @ me!

50. ashli says: