Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Derek and Addison Reunite, But There's a Doozy of a Twist!

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop

Grey’s Anatomy is pulling a Fringe.

In a February 2012 sweeps episode, the docs at Seattle Grace will be making their rounds in an alternate reality, as the ABC drama ponders the provocative question, “What if things had been different — very different.”

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Grey’s, Glee, Revenge, Sons of Anarchy, Pretty Little Liars and More!

Specifically, Meredith imagines what life would’ve been like had her late mother Ellis never had Alzheimer’s, a traumatic situation that shaped Mer into the dark-and-twisty wife and MD she is today.

A Grey’s rep declined to comment, but TVLine has confirmed that Kate Walsh will play a big role in the mind-trippy episode. Why? Because in this alt-reality, Derek and Addison — wait for it — never broke up!

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Castle, Gossip Girl, New Girl and More!

And while Walsh is the only former series regular returning, an insider confirms that other Grey’s alums will be back — including a certain victim of the Seattle Grace Massacre of 2010, who shall not be named. (Follow me on Twitter for clues.)

And to be sure, Derek, Mer and Addison aren’t the only characters who get pulled into this new dimension. “Everyone is affected,” says the insider.

Grey’s Anatomy resumes Season 8 on Jan. 5.

Thoughts? Predictions? Excited to see Grey’s taking such creative risks in its eighth season? Hit the comments!

Comments (483)

• I wish that meant George would be back.

Comment by Matt – December 2, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish that too. I kinda miss him.

Comment by AnnClau – December 2, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too – I loved George so much – he added such a sense of morality and goodness to the show, that Dr. B has, but she’s so cynical now. He was still good and pure.

Comment by hyork – December 2, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I loved George! Makes me sad every time I watch a past episode with him in it.

Comment by Kay – December 2, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • RIGHT! I miss George!! <3

Comment by Susir – December 2, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i seriously missed george too

Comment by lola – January 19, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SERIOUSLY!

Comment by Sydney holbrook – December 2, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I was going to say! I miss George!

Comment by Holly-Jane – December 2, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes George was one of my fav I wish he would return.

Comment by Barbara Sanders – December 2, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish for that too, but George wasn’t one of the victims of the Seattle Grace Massacre of 2010…

Comment by TS – December 2, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • George got hit by a bus and died. :(

Comment by Shan – December 2, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But we never saw his face!!!

Comment by cathy – December 7, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL!!! So true! “anything’s possible!”

Comment by Tammy Lalonde – December 22, 2011 09:17 AM PDT
    • I want to see george!! He better be in it!

Comment by shauna – December 2, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • enough with the george! he aint commin back he’s dead dead dead

Comment by shelly – December 5, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didn’t TR Knight, George, leave so he could further an acting career? If so, what has he done? I wish he could come back, but it would be hard to create that now… unless he had a twin brother!

Comment by Georgia – December 2, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • last i checked, he was pretty happy doing Broadway. i’m sure not every actor have to be on tv/film to have a career.

Comment by E – December 2, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was on an episode of Law & Order SVU recently

Comment by Nikki – December 8, 2011 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeahhh lets bring Izzie back! :D

Comment by KevinM – December 2, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I doubt izzie will be coming back even tho it can be a possibility since she didn’t die in the show. however there is a quote up there that says Kate Walsh is the ONLY past regular cast member to return. that means no izzie i fear

Comment by Laur2222 – December 2, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh yeah, bring back Izzie! :) Love Izzie!!! And what about her frozen embryos? I’m sure they ( the writers) could do something with that!

Comment by Julie – December 2, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Izzie wasn’t a casualty of the “2010 Seattle Grace Massacre of 2010″ but oh how I wish she had been.

Comment by Tom – December 3, 2011 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope he is. I loved his character. And also Izzy.

Comment by Carolina Zacarias – December 2, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously!!! Bring back George and Izzy… this is one way to bring back George.. you can come back from being smushed by a bus in an “alternate reality”. Love George and Izzy…. Even for one episode.. it would be awesome!

Comment by Bunny Lloyd – December 3, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really would wish for George coming back, too.
      I miss his sweet caracter </3

Comment by Be – December 2, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with most of the comments: I WANT GEORGE BACK!!

He was a great character and you forced T.R. Knight to leave giving his character no storyline. I miss Izzie as well.

Cut the newbies out (yes, I’m talking about Mercy West’s characters, yes, I’m talking about Teddie).

The old seasons and characters were the best, though I appreciate showing what would’ve happened had Ellis Grey never had her illness, that’s something I’ve always thought of.

Comment by Sheela – December 2, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just thinking the same thing.Wouldn’t that be great!

Comment by mary – December 2, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish someone would imagine what it would have been like if George hadn’t died!!!!

Comment by Evelyn – December 2, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hola this whole george thing is stupid u ppl are obsessed

Comment by dwann – December 5, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You best shut up about George

Comment by George Fan – December 20, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss Georg to & he could actually come back-if the person who was so unreconisabe that was hit by the bus wasn’t really George & he went off to Iraq like he planned & now returns home!

Comment by Rose Kujawski – December 2, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is exactly what I thought – Have GEORGE going to Iraq – now with our guys coming home – perfect – bring him back……it could have been someone else that was killed.

Comment by Diane – December 3, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree! I want him back. He made the show half of the time :)

Comment by Courtney – December 4, 2011 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dude I was totally thinkin that. Like they thought the wrong thing. And then him show up unexpectedly!

Comment by George Fan – December 19, 2011 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not so much george but would love to get isaiah washington back!!!!… that would be awesome………..

Comment by lili – December 2, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really liked George – I really enjoyd wathing ER way back then – until they started doing off the waal hings that NEVER happen in an ER…..some of the episodes from G.A. are starting to get that way – like the one with all the singing, my husband and I turned the channel – My suggestion, try to stay real to life………your losing your years of committed viewers.

Comment by Diane – December 3, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve watched since the beginning, and I loved the musical episode, I’d honestly love for a second one. They explained it rationally anyways.

Comment by Miranda – December 6, 2011 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want George back too.

Comment by nancy – December 3, 2011 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GEORGES DEATH WAS TOTALLY NOT EXPECTED, AND HE WAS THE MORAL COMPASS FOR ALL THE OTHERS.

Comment by LARRY – December 6, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • can’t read? It says someone that died en the shooting in 2010….George died at the end of season 5 ….not 6

Comment by lovingshonda – December 9, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey you shut up about george. He might come back. Dont shoot down our dreams

Comment by BLEHHH – December 19, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be great!

Comment by Mary – December 15, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GEORGE BETTER COME BACK! I loveddd him. He was the best part of greys

Comment by Roush – December 19, 2011 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I JUST LOVE LOVE LOVE GEORGE!!
      HE WAS SO SWEET,SO KIND.HE HAS BEEN MY FAVORITE AS HAS BEN BAILEY.

Comment by EVELYN – December 20, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Kate Walsh on GA again!

Comment by Kara – December 2, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YUSSS indeed! I miss Addison on GA and really wish she had never left (can’t get into PP and a world of people I don’t care about).

Comment by Saint Alicia – December 2, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i didnt think so either about Private Practice but i JUST started watching it on Netflix about 2 weeks ago and i gotta say, it’s real interesting. im already at the end of season 3. Funny and more uplifting, no real surgeries going on and Charlotte King character is my FAV so far.

Comment by lovedoll – December 2, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Although it took a while to get into Private Practice, I really love it. It addresses some GREAT issues and lots of relationship stuff. Give it a try for a while.

Comment by bambilynn – December 2, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve always said that Private Practice was a grown up Grey’s Anatomy. GA plays like some kind of twisted fairy tale and PP tend to be a slight bit more grounded in reality.

Comment by Ava – December 2, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, I agree PP is more grounded and believable. GA is getting too off the wall..My husband said it is getting just like ER was before it ended. Needs to get back to reality…

Comment by Diane – December 3, 2011 02:12 PM PDT
        • Hmm, I actually like the surgical aspect of a show that’s set in a hospital, so…
          But I caught the first half of a PP ep a couple weeks ago (second of 2 I’ve ever seen) and it wasn’t very uplifting. It was the intervention for Derek’s sister and it was depressing as hell. All the ish she was spewing (especially at Addison) was difficult to watch, and everyone there was so broken and defeated looking in general, it was a relief to switch away.

Comment by Saint Alicia – December 2, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Actually that particular episode was incredibly harrowing. It was the first time we’d actually seen Caterina Scorsone (Amelia Shepherd) get a chance to do some real acting for a change – and boy, did she make the most of it. There have been some really good storylines in PP this season. I’ve enjoyed it.

Comment by Fudgefase – December 5, 2011 09:23 AM PDT
    • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

BEST GREYS CHARACTER EVER. ADDISON FTW

Comment by Matt – December 2, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh, NOOO!!! NO Derek & Addison please! Derek is Meredith’s soulmate, the red head is just good to sleep with married men! (though I like Kate Walsh a lot! But her character is horrible!).

Comment by Liz – December 2, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you, Liz, except for one thing – I don’t like Walsh. But if this is supposed to be about Meredith and her mother, who cares about Derek and Addison? Leave them out. It only wrecks the storyline.

Comment by formerGreyfan – December 2, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with you. We do not need to see Addison and Derek but from the looks of it they are gonna have them together even though it should be about Meredith and her mom.

Comment by Courtney – December 4, 2011 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you on the Addison Leave her out of Derek and Meredith’s relationship! That is why I love the show so much, Derek and Meredith! If they break up I will Probably stop watching the show!

Comment by Penny – December 2, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s coming back for fantasy sequences, not permanently and certainly not to break up Meredith and Derek.

Comment by Sara – December 3, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree with this post

Comment by gabrielle – December 5, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just saing the same! :DD

Comment by Addie – December 2, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope george is the one who comes back, or izzie, that’d be great!

Comment by emy26 – December 2, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Neither George or Izzy were involved in the shooting.

Comment by English – December 2, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ??? how do you know that??? were you on set?

Comment by Anglais – December 2, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • she meant that George and Izzy were not involved in the shooting at the hospital.. as in the above mentioned “massacre” … not talking about the shooting of the episode. So they will not be in it according to that statement.

Comment by pamella – December 2, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It could be the shooter himself. He popped up a couple of times in other episodes. More likely to be one of the downed Dr’s though, I suppose.

Comment by Fudgefase – December 5, 2011 09:25 AM PDT
        • George died when a bus hit him. Izzy isn’t dead, she just left Alex because she got fired and blamed him for it. Both characters were gone long before the episode where the spree shooter came in and killed off a bunch of the new interns from Mercy. It doesn’t mean neither George nor Izzy will be in the episode, but the returning character referred to regarding the spoiler is neither Izzy nor George.

Comment by Tam – December 2, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • “And while Walsh is the only former series regular returning…” I’m afraid there will be no George or Izzy. Sad, they were two of my favorite characters.

Comment by Melanie – December 2, 2011 05:33 PM PDT
        • Maybe if you were to read the above article you wouldn’t have such a snippy response.

Comment by Jenny – December 2, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • um no but we watched the show lol

Comment by Kate – December 2, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not the shooting as in shooting the episode, but as in the massacre shooting. Niether of them was in that, and it only says that someone from the massacre will be back, doesn’t even hint at Izzy or George.

Comment by Stevie – December 2, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The above statement says “And while Walsh is the only former series regular returning, an insider confirms that other Grey’s alums will be back .” so clearly its not any of the doctors, unless this is a lie.

Comment by Aly – December 2, 2011 12:46 PM PDT
        • really? did you NOT see the Shooting episode? they WERENT there. you dont have to be on set to know that, if you WATCHED the episode… and it said a “victim” of that massacre

Comment by lovedoll – December 2, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Really? Did you not see the massacre episode? George and Izzie had already been long gone from the show, and were not involved in that episode at all. I don’t even remember them being mentioned. I hope it’s not Reed though, she was just an obnoxious snob who didn’t do any good being on the show.

Comment by Veronica – December 2, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • @ Lovedoll
            Exactly what I was trying to say!

Comment by Veronica – December 2, 2011 12:34 PM PDT
        • Well, I was not on the set, but I do know that George and Izzie were not involved in the 2010 SG Massacre. They had both already left the show in prior seasons.

Comment by A loyal fan – December 2, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep Izzy was not in the shooting George was an accident or something where he was burn beyond recignition.I think that is the way it is .

Comment by Brenda – December 2, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • George was hit by a bus

Comment by esssriala – December 2, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i love addison but i want derek and meredith to stay together.

Comment by goldie – December 2, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They said Addison is the only former series regular to return, so I am pretty sure that implies no George or Izzie.

Comment by JoAnn – December 2, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes but the’re not a series regular anymore only main characters ;) so there’s still hope!

Comment by leon63 – December 2, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • TR Knight, Katherine Heigle, and Isaiah Washington are all former series regulars. Therefore, we can assume that none of them will be returning. However, we CAN assume that one of the two dead Mercy West interns will be back, since they’re the only notable victims of the 2010 massacre… other than Mere’s fetus, but since that was Derek’s child and he’s with Addison in this alternative reality, an appearance by the baby seems unlikely.

Comment by Ace – December 2, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Or Mandy Moore.

Comment by Meg – December 2, 2011 12:48 PM PDT
          • LOL about the baby remark… I’m betting it’s the one who was with Bailey when he died.

Comment by Georgia – December 2, 2011 01:08 PM PDT
          • Don’t forget Gary Clark….

Comment by Kathy – December 4, 2011 01:02 PM PDT
        • NO THERE IS NO HOPE of O’MALLEY or STEVENS returning in THIS episode… its says in the article if you can read and understand plain English that Kate Walsh (Addison) is the only “FORMER series regular” returning for the alternate reality seeing at the time they departed they were series regulars

Comment by J – December 2, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • wow. If they were still series regulars..then they would not be returning….they would still be there. It clearly states the only returning series regular is Addison…therefore George or Izzy can not be the one coming back. When it states other Alum will be coming back for the strange episode in question…that would imply people who were only on a couple of episodes, specifically the Seattle Grace massacre episode. In a nutshell…Addison will be back…and George and Izzy will not.

Comment by greysfan1 – December 2, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!! I hope it’s George too!! Why did they ever get rid of him on this show? I loved him!!

Comment by Cindy – December 2, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Neither George or Izzy were killed in the shooting in 2010 (season 7). George was done at the end of season 5 and Izzy left in season 6…..pay attention people.

Comment by Catherine Davies – December 2, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds pretty cool. Props to Grey’s for always being willing to change it up.

Comment by Nikita – December 2, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to say it [because I do love Greys], but I feel like this episode is going to be a mess. A pointless mess… just like the musical episode.

Comment by RichieOnTV – December 2, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I hate when shows do this. To me, its pointless and it means that they have nothing good for the current plot that is actually happening. Who cares “what would have happened?” Stick with the current plot that was chosen and keep it exciting.

Comment by Melissa – December 2, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If the show has a strong enough character following, it will stand the test of time. Daring episodes (like the musical or the flashback) promote characterdevelopment. I am looking forward to it, but do think the current plot is weak and unfocused.

Comment by TheRealMelissa – December 2, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Alternate reality episodes can work, look at Buffy’s ‘The Wish’. I tihnk this could be great, but would have loved return appearances from Izzie and George. Or Hahn, even.

I’ve actually enjoyed Grey’s mixing it up a little. The changing perspective episode from season six was the highlight of that year for me. The documentary and ‘Golden Hour’ (the almost real-time episode, with lots of Mere) were my favourites that year, too. It could work, they managed to pull ‘different’ episodes off before.

Comment by Neil – December 2, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I second Melissa’s comment. Alternate realities bore me to tears. I was disappointed when they took away George but it would be silly to bring him back. He’s dead. There has been too much of dying but not really dying. Also Izzie making love to the ghost of her dead lover was beyond ridiculous! I lose interest in series when they go for fantasy.

Comment by JV – December 2, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t STAND the musical episode! I wanted to scream every time they broke out in song!

Comment by Amanda – December 2, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I HATED the musical episode!

Comment by Cindy – December 2, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ME TOO.

Comment by kisskoczka – December 2, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hated it, too. Luckily I had recorded it, so I fast-forwarded through the songs.
          About this episode, I like the idea of “What could have been?” I think it will be fun. Isn’t it human nature to wonder “What if?”

Comment by Georgia – December 2, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope izzie comes back and carev and her start over. Maybe even bring george back and him go, “what, I never got hit by a bus that wasnt me!!” we all know thats not gona happen though but this would be some good plans for the next season or even have burke come back and him ans altman have this weird twisted thing going on so maby ways they can go so im sure they have a plot

Comment by DeeDee – December 2, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • wasn’t george going off to the service at some point..?? maybe the bus hit was a look-a-like..i remember someone saying that’s not george , he’s not that tall…sooo couldn’t george come back at some point if that were the case, he could come home from the service and wonder what all the fuss has been about..

Comment by hacat – December 2, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No. It was George that got hit by a bus, the height thing was just to throw us off for a bit. Callie positively ID’d the bus guy as George so no, he’s not coming back unless they do a Denny again…

Comment by Topeni – December 2, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I said the same thing a while back. There was just the problem with Callie IDing him from that freckle on his hand. Unless there happened to be some freak coincidence that another guy had it. Then there was him using his finger to write “007″ in Mere’s hand that also confirmed it was George. I really wish they hadn’t gotte rid of him though. He was one of my favorite characters.

Comment by Brittany – December 3, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – sounds like a disaster like the musical. I’m guessing those returning would be nurses, like Olivia and I can’t remember the others.

Comment by formerGreyfan – December 2, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the shooting victim that is coming back isn’t Reid. I haaaaaaated her!

Comment by Amanda – December 2, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it will be the doctor that died while Bailey was trying to help him Mandy Moore’s charactor that helped Bailey that day but died a few episodes later

Comment by Paula Wright – December 2, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope the character coming back is Charles (he was kinda cool)

Comment by Catherine – December 2, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He seems like a likely candidate, based on the information given.

Comment by Ace – December 2, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You mean “nose dive” haha yeah that would be cool.

Comment by jilly – December 2, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually excited for this. I miss Kate Walsh on GA, and it’d be pretty cool if they’d bring back George for this ep (probably not gonna happen tough).

Comment by Ivet – December 2, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesss I love “what-if” episodes!

Comment by chrissy – December 2, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ME TOO! And “George” left the show because HE wanted to, NOT because he was asked to.

Comment by Barbara – December 2, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It says that Kate is the only former series regular coming back, so for me that means no Geoge (sad) or Izzie (thanks!)

Comment by Clau – December 2, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this alternative universe, has Owen with Teddy I will gag and turn off my tv – seriously. And I am sure Cristina will be here same scalpel hungry self that doesn’t need love – husband or baby.

Comment by Jen – December 2, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or they could have Cristina with Jackson.

Comment by Lucia – December 2, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it did seem like that was going to happen for a bit there. i wish that had explored that more

Comment by Kate – December 2, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Owen and Cristina, don’t want to see them with anyone else. Soulmates eventually find each other, even if the path they take is different. I have a feeling that is how Mer/Der/Addison’s story will go to, Mer/Der together in the end despite a different path.

Comment by Juliet – December 2, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that the victim from the Seattle Grace massacre that would be back would be Charles Percy. I liked that big doofus.

Comment by Cinders – December 2, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just going to post this. I was the saddest to see him go.

Comment by Jessica – December 2, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me too

Comment by Callie – December 2, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope its not Reid either. I always called her the evil little pixie. The way she died was NOT how I wanted her to leave the series but she did bother me. I hope it’s Dr. Percy. He was sweet

Comment by noodles – December 2, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought how she left the series was just fine! =)

Comment by Amanda – December 2, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I, too, wish George would come back. So does this mean that Kate Burton will be back too?

Comment by Michelle T. – December 2, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get how Ellis not getting Alzheimers would mean that Derek and Addison don’t break up? She had the affair with McSteamy long before Meridith and Derek ever met. This sounds like it is going to make no sense.

Comment by TomB – December 2, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could be that if she had never gotten Alzheimers she would not have died from the issues with her heart because she would have taken her meds. When she died she basically switched places with Meredith. So if she doesn’t die Meredith does. This could be totally separate from Derek and Addison though. It doesn’t necessarily have to be related.

Comment by Amanda – December 2, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but Meredith settled down and decided to go to med school when her mother was diagnosed. It’s possible that if Ellis was never diagnosed, Meredith might have waited longer to go to school. She might have not been at Seattle Grace when Derek needed her to be so Addison could have been able to make him go back to NY.

Comment by Deion – December 2, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t remember Meredith deciding to go to med school because her mom was sick but i do remember her saying her mom freaked when she found out she was going to go to med school to be a surgeon.

Comment by deedee – December 2, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or Meredith still ends up at SG but she isn’t all “dark and twisted.”

Comment by Jasmine – December 2, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …and therefore chooses not to get involved with a married man? That would make sense.

Comment by Ace – December 2, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. And Ellis never paid attention to Mere..so I’d imagine she was dark and twisty before her mom got alzheimers.

Comment by Nicole – December 2, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing. It wasn’t because of Meredith that they were having problems. She cheated on him with his best friend. I’m curious to see how they do this.

Comment by Georgia – December 2, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My poor Addison/Derek heart is beating so fast right now!

Comment by Laura – December 2, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, cause that’s the only way Addek can exist: AU. Sad.

Comment by Ana – December 2, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Total ripoff of FRINGE!!

Comment by Ellen – December 2, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not a rip-off of Fringe. A lot of shows do this, for at lest the past 20 years. FRIENDS had an episode. It’s just what long running programs do.

Comment by girlpfglory – December 2, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Fringe, but Grey’s isn’t ripping off anybody. Alternate universes/what if episodes have been done to death, long before Fringe came into the picture.

Comment by Dean – December 2, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is not a ripoff, a LOT of shows do this. Simply for sweeps to boost ratings. If you figure GA ripped it off of Fringe, you are then by claiming Fringe ripped it off Friends….b/c Friends started and ENDED before Fringe and they too had a 2-part ‘what if’ episode…..to refresh your memory……Monica never got skinny (still ended up with Chandler), Ross and Carol were still married, Rachel married Barry, Phoebe was a stock broker and Joey was a super star on ‘days of our lives.’

Comment by Catherine – December 2, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I LOVE that episode of friends. Phoebe was my favorite! All of her heart attacks! LOL! Smoking in the bathroom. Pheebs. Always a badass.

Comment by Avi – December 2, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awh wow, this sounds amazing, I absolutely love Derek and Addison together. This is going to be EPIC!!! :D

Comment by Marion – December 2, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love Loretta Devine, I’m hoping that in this alternate reality The Chief and Ellis raised Meredith together. He would have been such a great dad to her

Comment by Kathryn – December 2, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The alternate reality is one where her mom did not die of Alzheimer’s and how that would have changed everyone’s lives going forward. I doubt that it would go back far enough to change Mer’s childhood.

Comment by Tam – December 2, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that would be interesting

Comment by tasha – December 3, 2011 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fingers crossed it’s george. he was always one of my favorites. :)

Comment by heather – December 2, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mine too I miss him

Comment by Deb – December 2, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Article didn’t say anything about the reason why Derek and Addison never broke up was because Ellis didn’t get Alzheimers. They were two different topics. ONe is that in Merideth’s alt REality, Ellis never gets Alzheimers, which is what made Merideth how she is today, so that is going to be different. THEN in Derek’s alt reality him and Addison never broke up. THe article didn’t say it was a cause and effect thing, so yes it will make sense, when we watch it.

Comment by CarmaLee – December 2, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I doubt that it will make sense. Shondaland may start off with a great idea, but somewhere along the way they butcher it so badly that it ends up being ridiculous. That’s what I expect out of this episode, being ridiculous. Hello musical

Comment by formerGreyfan – December 2, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? I’m the ONLY person who still watches this show who wants Denny back? (And I swear to God I will go NUCLEAR on anyone who mentions the asinine phrase “ghost sex” WHICH NEVER HAPPENED.)

Comment by Annie – December 2, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i loved denny too!! i would love to see him back, but no izzie pretty much means no denny.

Comment by amberjj – December 2, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ….. ghost sex.

Comment by Ashley – December 2, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There never really was any ghost sex, even though people keep describing it as such. They were hallucinations from her cancer-stricken brain.

Comment by Cinders – December 2, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG – I wouldn’t be surprised if this episode is being created in order to bring Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Denny) back. Ghost sex is right

Comment by formerGreyfan – December 2, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes you are.

Comment by Anonymous – December 2, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, I could not of said it better myself! I want Denny back he was awsome!!!!!As for the show it is to predictable these days, nothing really exciting has been happining. I think the what if episode part about Meridith is going to be about if her mother did not have Alzheimers than Derek would not of started that trial and Meridith would not of gotten in trouble trying to help the chiefs wife. That means they would have their baby still. As for addison and Derek, the only thing I can think of is that maybe one of them forgot to sign the divorce because Addison is trying to get pregnant on Private Practice and dont forget how both shows ended with their season final eposide!

Comment by Valene – December 2, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My first thought was that they should figure out a way to bring back Denny…preferably without his shirt. =D

Comment by Lana – December 2, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never understood the mass appeal of Denny. I also never understood the appeal of Izzie. Pretty much every patient that lasts more than one episode is exactly like Denny. Dying from some incureable disease that a doctor at SGH can magically cure but taking the death sentence with a winning sarcastic self deprecating sense of humor. Izzie was so self righteous it was ridiculous. No matter what she did she was never wrong she just flopped about batting her eyes at everyone, taking them for granted. She treated everyone terribly but always played the victim.

Comment by Viv – December 2, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANK YOU!!! FINALLY SOMEONE SEES IZZIE THE WAY I DO! I love Katherine Heigl, but I HATED Izzie Stevens character. She was annoying, whiny, and self absorbed. Not to mention the “I love Alex”, “I love Denny”, “I love George”, “I love Alex again” bull.

Comment by Brittany – December 3, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree!! Izzie’s character was sooo selfish! i hated how she only thought about her needs and feelings and left out all the rest!

Comment by Cony – December 22, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ghost sex, hallucination sex, jump the shark sex, Rhimes’ disturbing fascination with JDM, etc. Call it whatever you want. It was so bad the president of ABC had to publicly justify it.

Comment by Ashley – December 4, 2011 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • George can’t be the person coming back from the Seattle Grace Massacre…he had already died by the time that happened. It has to be either Charles or Reid…or perhaps the shooter (didn’t he kill himself in the Chief’s office?).

Comment by RIta – December 2, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or the girl that Mandy Moore played. She had a huge impact on Bailey.

Comment by girlofglory – December 2, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …But she didn’t die in the massacre. She died later, from complications during a routine surgery.

Comment by Ace – December 2, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can you please call the episode Izzie’s Anatomy…as it always should have been! And bring her and George back

Comment by Chadley – December 2, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they mean Derek and Addison not breaking after getting back together once at Seattle Grace when they tried to patch things up. Derek would have never left NY and gone to Seattle Grace if Addison didn’t have the affair with Mark Sloan….

Comment by Chris – December 2, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds pretty awesome!! =)

Comment by Fanny – December 2, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEs, can’t wait I look forward to it every Thursday and now I have to wait until the 5th of January to see the next episode! Trust me it is on my calandar! lol I had a dream the other night that I was cast in Grey’s Anatomy… maybe that is a little obsessive? lol

Comment by Bonnie – December 2, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes a tad bit. lol I waited for this season to start and barely four episodes in they stop! Why?!?!

Comment by Aleta – December 2, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have had dreams that I am Merideth…so I am right there with you! :)

Comment by Katie – December 2, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait what about the last episode. What ever happens to Teddy?? No. Are they going to finish that story line first?!?!?!?!?!?!?! =(

Comment by Aleta McVey – December 2, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you read, it says in ‘February 2012′. Grey’s comes back in January, so it’ll pick up where it left off, calm down.

Comment by Jess – December 2, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, this episode is slated for february it states, and since the new episodes start again in January, there will be the teddy stuff taken care of before this one. This sounds like this episode is basically just a filler. And the George and Izzy thing! George won’t be back, the only what if from his situation would be what if he hadn’t jumped in front of that bus for the lady. However, if they changed that, then george’s personality would have to be changed! Plus that was from quite a few years back, in like the 3 or 4th season.

Comment by Mallory – December 2, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree. A completely pointless mess.

Comment by Kimani – December 2, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a Mer Der fan, but Rhimes is making it easier and easier to walk away from this show. I will never again become involved in any Shondaland show. She thumbs her nose at all the Meredith/Derek fans. And Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey always show such appreciation for their fans who have watched for so long. But this is getting so bad.

Comment by formerGreyfan – December 2, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What if Izzie never left?
    What if George didn’t die?
    What if Christina and Hunt didn’t got married but what if Teddy and Hunt got together?

I’m looking forward to the episode :D

Comment by Evy – December 2, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • KMK confirmed in a tweet that that Hunt and Teddy do not get together in this alternate reality.

Comment by Lucia – December 2, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wish it was George cuz he and April would be perfect for each other its not gonna be Geroge cuz he wasn’t part of the 2010 Massacure but who died in the 2010 massacure hmmmmmmm

Comment by Taylor – December 2, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show went down hill after Dr. Burke left. It continued to go downhill after they took off George AND then Izzy?! 2 main characters who everyone loves? The show has gone down hill, I used to buy every season but not anymore. Ive stopped watching after Izzy left. And poor George, thats what really did it for me. BRING BACK THE OLD GREYS ANATOMY!!!!!!!

Comment by brenda – December 2, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I felt he same way as you after Izzy left. But a year afterwards I went back and caught up. It really is good. Especially THIS season. I love it. I have been a big fan since the beginning.

Comment by Aleta – December 2, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes actually this season is kind of awsome.. i miss Izzie a lot though…. really miss her

Comment by Daniel – December 2, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Dr. Burke and Christina!! Wouldn’t it be awesome if they brought him back and Christina and he got married after all?? But not sure if they would bring Burke back seeing as how he was technically fired for a slanderous remark about George being gay in real life.

Comment by cindy – December 2, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wawwwwwwwwwwwwww Addison back to GA that would be just wonderful, can’t wait to see the episode, i used to watch GA only because of Addison

Comment by samah – December 2, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Derek blamed Mer almost dying on the fact that she is dark and twisty.

Comment by mia – December 2, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it is george (who never died) or izzie (who never left) :D that would be great!!

Comment by leon63 – December 2, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super excited for this episode. This was a great idea :)

Comment by Teena – December 2, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OHNO ! : ( GA is getting ready to “jump the shark”. I love this show and will watch it no matter what, but when a TV show does this, well, they are on their last legs. I’d hate to see it go. I’m going to hope it suprises me and proves me wrong.

Comment by Vicki Larson – December 2, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you. The show does great but after postponing the show for a month and a half they are going to throw something like this into the mix? Just play the regular shows. They need to have it happen for sweeps something like a natural disaster occurs or something bizarre like that. Seems to me they are finally running out of ideas, though I would hate to see it end.

Comment by Torie – December 2, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It does go back to the regular shows when it comes back in January. This episode does not air until February sweeps.

Comment by Cinders – December 2, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed! One of the worst!

Comment by Boots – December 2, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’d like it too! i’m watching the izzi’s cancer episodes and i cried for him!!! :(

Comment by Marcela – December 2, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i want it were izzie and karev stay married if it all worked out

Comment by ehawk – December 2, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burke coming back could be intersting, shame that’s not gonna happen! addison coming back though should be good :) shame no George and izzie though :/

Comment by Hayden Watson – December 2, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • make one of izzie and karev stay married if it all worked out

Comment by ehawk – December 2, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like Addison and Derek together :( I like what if episodes but I don’t like Addison and Derek together. I hope they bring back the doctor that died but I think they’re going to bring back the shooter.

Comment by Ash – December 2, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But that would mean that the shooting didn’t happen (or he didn’t kill himself,but then he would be in jail and not Seattle Grace), so they would have to bring back all of the victims as well, and as it is stated, only one of them return…

Comment by sat – December 2, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG this is going to be a great show!! I have watched it from day one and I am worried that they are going too far but still excited to see what they do next!

Comment by Deanna – December 2, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love George bring him back!

Comment by eliza – December 2, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, but only for this one “alternate reality” episode :(

Comment by meg – December 2, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Annie…I would love to see Denny come back. I wish he never would have left. I’m looking forward to it all! LOVE LOVE LOVE GA!!

Comment by Cindy – December 2, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I called her the evil little pixie too! I could not stand her… She was the worst!

Comment by kristi – December 2, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, you just had to watch the episode to plainly see they weren’t there.

Comment by Mcmama – December 2, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post