Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Derek and Addison Reunite, But There's a Doozy of a Twist!

Grey’s Anatomy is pulling a Fringe.

In a February 2012 sweeps episode, the docs at Seattle Grace will be making their rounds in an alternate reality, as the ABC drama ponders the provocative question, “What if things had been different — very different.”

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Grey’s, Glee, Revenge, Sons of Anarchy, Pretty Little Liars and More!

Specifically, Meredith imagines what life would’ve been like had her late mother Ellis never had Alzheimer’s, a traumatic situation that shaped Mer into the dark-and-twisty wife and MD she is today.

A Grey’s rep declined to comment, but TVLine has confirmed that Kate Walsh will play a big role in the mind-trippy episode. Why? Because in this alt-reality, Derek and Addison — wait for it — never broke up!

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Castle, Gossip Girl, New Girl and More!

And while Walsh is the only former series regular returning, an insider confirms that other Grey’s alums will be back — including a certain victim of the Seattle Grace Massacre of 2010, who shall not be named. (Follow me on Twitter for clues.)

And to be sure, Derek, Mer and Addison aren’t the only characters who get pulled into this new dimension. “Everyone is affected,” says the insider.

Grey’s Anatomy resumes Season 8 on Jan. 5.

Thoughts? Predictions? Excited to see Grey’s taking such creative risks in its eighth season? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Matt says:

I wish that meant George would be back.

2. Kara says:

Yes, Kate Walsh on GA again!

• Saint Alicia says:

YUSSS indeed! I miss Addison on GA and really wish she had never left (can’t get into PP and a world of people I don’t care about).

• lovedoll says:

i didnt think so either about Private Practice but i JUST started watching it on Netflix about 2 weeks ago and i gotta say, it’s real interesting. im already at the end of season 3. Funny and more uplifting, no real surgeries going on and Charlotte King character is my FAV so far.

• bambilynn says:

Although it took a while to get into Private Practice, I really love it. It addresses some GREAT issues and lots of relationship stuff. Give it a try for a while.

• Ava says:

I’ve always said that Private Practice was a grown up Grey’s Anatomy. GA plays like some kind of twisted fairy tale and PP tend to be a slight bit more grounded in reality.

• Diane says:

Yes, I agree PP is more grounded and believable. GA is getting too off the wall..My husband said it is getting just like ER was before it ended. Needs to get back to reality…

• Saint Alicia says:

Hmm, I actually like the surgical aspect of a show that’s set in a hospital, so…
          But I caught the first half of a PP ep a couple weeks ago (second of 2 I’ve ever seen) and it wasn’t very uplifting. It was the intervention for Derek’s sister and it was depressing as hell. All the ish she was spewing (especially at Addison) was difficult to watch, and everyone there was so broken and defeated looking in general, it was a relief to switch away.

• Fudgefase says:

Actually that particular episode was incredibly harrowing. It was the first time we’d actually seen Caterina Scorsone (Amelia Shepherd) get a chance to do some real acting for a change – and boy, did she make the most of it. There have been some really good storylines in PP this season. I’ve enjoyed it.

• Matt says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

BEST GREYS CHARACTER EVER. ADDISON FTW

• Liz says:

Ugh, NOOO!!! NO Derek & Addison please! Derek is Meredith’s soulmate, the red head is just good to sleep with married men! (though I like Kate Walsh a lot! But her character is horrible!).

• formerGreyfan says:

I agree with you, Liz, except for one thing – I don’t like Walsh. But if this is supposed to be about Meredith and her mother, who cares about Derek and Addison? Leave them out. It only wrecks the storyline.

• Courtney says:

I agree with you. We do not need to see Addison and Derek but from the looks of it they are gonna have them together even though it should be about Meredith and her mom.

• Penny says:

I agree with you on the Addison Leave her out of Derek and Meredith’s relationship! That is why I love the show so much, Derek and Meredith! If they break up I will Probably stop watching the show!

• Sara says:

She’s coming back for fantasy sequences, not permanently and certainly not to break up Meredith and Derek.

• gabrielle says:

i agree with this post

• Addie says:

I was just saing the same! :DD

3. emy26 says:

i hope george is the one who comes back, or izzie, that’d be great!

• English says:

Neither George or Izzy were involved in the shooting.

• Anglais says:

??? how do you know that??? were you on set?

• pamella says:

she meant that George and Izzy were not involved in the shooting at the hospital.. as in the above mentioned “massacre” … not talking about the shooting of the episode. So they will not be in it according to that statement.

• Fudgefase says:

It could be the shooter himself. He popped up a couple of times in other episodes. More likely to be one of the downed Dr’s though, I suppose.

• Tam says:

George died when a bus hit him. Izzy isn’t dead, she just left Alex because she got fired and blamed him for it. Both characters were gone long before the episode where the spree shooter came in and killed off a bunch of the new interns from Mercy. It doesn’t mean neither George nor Izzy will be in the episode, but the returning character referred to regarding the spoiler is neither Izzy nor George.

• Melanie says:

“And while Walsh is the only former series regular returning…” I’m afraid there will be no George or Izzy. Sad, they were two of my favorite characters.

• Jenny says:

Maybe if you were to read the above article you wouldn’t have such a snippy response.

• Kate says:

um no but we watched the show lol

• Stevie says:

Not the shooting as in shooting the episode, but as in the massacre shooting. Niether of them was in that, and it only says that someone from the massacre will be back, doesn’t even hint at Izzy or George.

• Aly says:

The above statement says “And while Walsh is the only former series regular returning, an insider confirms that other Grey’s alums will be back .” so clearly its not any of the doctors, unless this is a lie.

• lovedoll says:

really? did you NOT see the Shooting episode? they WERENT there. you dont have to be on set to know that, if you WATCHED the episode… and it said a “victim” of that massacre

• Veronica says:

Really? Did you not see the massacre episode? George and Izzie had already been long gone from the show, and were not involved in that episode at all. I don’t even remember them being mentioned. I hope it’s not Reed though, she was just an obnoxious snob who didn’t do any good being on the show.

• A loyal fan says:

Well, I was not on the set, but I do know that George and Izzie were not involved in the 2010 SG Massacre. They had both already left the show in prior seasons.

• Brenda says:

Yep Izzy was not in the shooting George was an accident or something where he was burn beyond recignition.I think that is the way it is .

• goldie says:

i love addison but i want derek and meredith to stay together.

• JoAnn says:

They said Addison is the only former series regular to return, so I am pretty sure that implies no George or Izzie.

• leon63 says:

yes but the’re not a series regular anymore only main characters ;) so there’s still hope!

• Ace says:

TR Knight, Katherine Heigle, and Isaiah Washington are all former series regulars. Therefore, we can assume that none of them will be returning. However, we CAN assume that one of the two dead Mercy West interns will be back, since they’re the only notable victims of the 2010 massacre… other than Mere’s fetus, but since that was Derek’s child and he’s with Addison in this alternative reality, an appearance by the baby seems unlikely.

• J says:

NO THERE IS NO HOPE of O’MALLEY or STEVENS returning in THIS episode… its says in the article if you can read and understand plain English that Kate Walsh (Addison) is the only “FORMER series regular” returning for the alternate reality seeing at the time they departed they were series regulars

• greysfan1 says:

wow. If they were still series regulars..then they would not be returning….they would still be there. It clearly states the only returning series regular is Addison…therefore George or Izzy can not be the one coming back. When it states other Alum will be coming back for the strange episode in question…that would imply people who were only on a couple of episodes, specifically the Seattle Grace massacre episode. In a nutshell…Addison will be back…and George and Izzy will not.

• Cindy says:

YES!!! I hope it’s George too!! Why did they ever get rid of him on this show? I loved him!!

• Catherine Davies says:

Neither George or Izzy were killed in the shooting in 2010 (season 7). George was done at the end of season 5 and Izzy left in season 6…..pay attention people.

4. Nikita says:

Sounds pretty cool. Props to Grey’s for always being willing to change it up.

5. RichieOnTV says:

I hate to say it [because I do love Greys], but I feel like this episode is going to be a mess. A pointless mess… just like the musical episode.

• Melissa says:

I agree. I hate when shows do this. To me, its pointless and it means that they have nothing good for the current plot that is actually happening. Who cares “what would have happened?” Stick with the current plot that was chosen and keep it exciting.

• TheRealMelissa says:

If the show has a strong enough character following, it will stand the test of time. Daring episodes (like the musical or the flashback) promote characterdevelopment. I am looking forward to it, but do think the current plot is weak and unfocused.

• Neil says:

Alternate reality episodes can work, look at Buffy’s ‘The Wish’. I tihnk this could be great, but would have loved return appearances from Izzie and George. Or Hahn, even.

I’ve actually enjoyed Grey’s mixing it up a little. The changing perspective episode from season six was the highlight of that year for me. The documentary and ‘Golden Hour’ (the almost real-time episode, with lots of Mere) were my favourites that year, too. It could work, they managed to pull ‘different’ episodes off before.

• JV says:

I second Melissa’s comment. Alternate realities bore me to tears. I was disappointed when they took away George but it would be silly to bring him back. He’s dead. There has been too much of dying but not really dying. Also Izzie making love to the ghost of her dead lover was beyond ridiculous! I lose interest in series when they go for fantasy.

• Amanda says:

I couldn’t STAND the musical episode! I wanted to scream every time they broke out in song!

• Cindy says:

I HATED the musical episode!

• DeeDee says:

I hope izzie comes back and carev and her start over. Maybe even bring george back and him go, “what, I never got hit by a bus that wasnt me!!” we all know thats not gona happen though but this would be some good plans for the next season or even have burke come back and him ans altman have this weird twisted thing going on so maby ways they can go so im sure they have a plot

• hacat says:

wasn’t george going off to the service at some point..?? maybe the bus hit was a look-a-like..i remember someone saying that’s not george , he’s not that tall…sooo couldn’t george come back at some point if that were the case, he could come home from the service and wonder what all the fuss has been about..

• Topeni says:

No. It was George that got hit by a bus, the height thing was just to throw us off for a bit. Callie positively ID’d the bus guy as George so no, he’s not coming back unless they do a Denny again…

• Brittany says:

I said the same thing a while back. There was just the problem with Callie IDing him from that freckle on his hand. Unless there happened to be some freak coincidence that another guy had it. Then there was him using his finger to write “007” in Mere’s hand that also confirmed it was George. I really wish they hadn’t gotte rid of him though. He was one of my favorite characters.

• formerGreyfan says:

I agree – sounds like a disaster like the musical. I’m guessing those returning would be nurses, like Olivia and I can’t remember the others.

6. Amanda says:

I hope the shooting victim that is coming back isn’t Reid. I haaaaaaated her!

7. Ivet says:

I’m actually excited for this. I miss Kate Walsh on GA, and it’d be pretty cool if they’d bring back George for this ep (probably not gonna happen tough).

8. chrissy says:

Yesss I love “what-if” episodes!

9. Clau says:

It says that Kate is the only former series regular coming back, so for me that means no Geoge (sad) or Izzie (thanks!)

10. Jen says:

If this alternative universe, has Owen with Teddy I will gag and turn off my tv – seriously. And I am sure Cristina will be here same scalpel hungry self that doesn’t need love – husband or baby.

• Lucia says:

Or they could have Cristina with Jackson.

• Juliet says:

Love Owen and Cristina, don’t want to see them with anyone else. Soulmates eventually find each other, even if the path they take is different. I have a feeling that is how Mer/Der/Addison’s story will go to, Mer/Der together in the end despite a different path.

11. Cinders says:

I hope that the victim from the Seattle Grace massacre that would be back would be Charles Percy. I liked that big doofus.

12. noodles says:

I hope its not Reid either. I always called her the evil little pixie. The way she died was NOT how I wanted her to leave the series but she did bother me. I hope it’s Dr. Percy. He was sweet

13. Michelle T. says:

I, too, wish George would come back. So does this mean that Kate Burton will be back too?

14. TomB says:

I don’t get how Ellis not getting Alzheimers would mean that Derek and Addison don’t break up? She had the affair with McSteamy long before Meridith and Derek ever met. This sounds like it is going to make no sense.

• Amanda says:

I could be that if she had never gotten Alzheimers she would not have died from the issues with her heart because she would have taken her meds. When she died she basically switched places with Meredith. So if she doesn’t die Meredith does. This could be totally separate from Derek and Addison though. It doesn’t necessarily have to be related.

• Deion says:

Yeah, but Meredith settled down and decided to go to med school when her mother was diagnosed. It’s possible that if Ellis was never diagnosed, Meredith might have waited longer to go to school. She might have not been at Seattle Grace when Derek needed her to be so Addison could have been able to make him go back to NY.

• deedee says:

I don’t remember Meredith deciding to go to med school because her mom was sick but i do remember her saying her mom freaked when she found out she was going to go to med school to be a surgeon.

• Jasmine says:

Or Meredith still ends up at SG but she isn’t all “dark and twisted.”

• Nicole says:

Agreed. And Ellis never paid attention to Mere..so I’d imagine she was dark and twisty before her mom got alzheimers.

• Georgia says:

I was thinking the same thing. It wasn’t because of Meredith that they were having problems. She cheated on him with his best friend. I’m curious to see how they do this.

15. Laura says:

My poor Addison/Derek heart is beating so fast right now!

16. Ellen says:

Total ripoff of FRINGE!!

• girlpfglory says:

It’s not a rip-off of Fringe. A lot of shows do this, for at lest the past 20 years. FRIENDS had an episode. It’s just what long running programs do.

• Dean says:

I love Fringe, but Grey’s isn’t ripping off anybody. Alternate universes/what if episodes have been done to death, long before Fringe came into the picture.

• Catherine says:

It is not a ripoff, a LOT of shows do this. Simply for sweeps to boost ratings. If you figure GA ripped it off of Fringe, you are then by claiming Fringe ripped it off Friends….b/c Friends started and ENDED before Fringe and they too had a 2-part ‘what if’ episode…..to refresh your memory……Monica never got skinny (still ended up with Chandler), Ross and Carol were still married, Rachel married Barry, Phoebe was a stock broker and Joey was a super star on ‘days of our lives.’

• Avi says:

I LOVE that episode of friends. Phoebe was my favorite! All of her heart attacks! LOL! Smoking in the bathroom. Pheebs. Always a badass.

17. Marion says:

Awh wow, this sounds amazing, I absolutely love Derek and Addison together. This is going to be EPIC!!! :D

18. Kathryn says:

As much as I love Loretta Devine, I’m hoping that in this alternate reality The Chief and Ellis raised Meredith together. He would have been such a great dad to her

19. heather says:

fingers crossed it’s george. he was always one of my favorites. :)

20. CarmaLee says:

The Article didn’t say anything about the reason why Derek and Addison never broke up was because Ellis didn’t get Alzheimers. They were two different topics. ONe is that in Merideth’s alt REality, Ellis never gets Alzheimers, which is what made Merideth how she is today, so that is going to be different. THEN in Derek’s alt reality him and Addison never broke up. THe article didn’t say it was a cause and effect thing, so yes it will make sense, when we watch it.

• formerGreyfan says:

I doubt that it will make sense. Shondaland may start off with a great idea, but somewhere along the way they butcher it so badly that it ends up being ridiculous. That’s what I expect out of this episode, being ridiculous. Hello musical

21. Annie says:

What? I’m the ONLY person who still watches this show who wants Denny back? (And I swear to God I will go NUCLEAR on anyone who mentions the asinine phrase “ghost sex” WHICH NEVER HAPPENED.)

• amberjj says:

i loved denny too!! i would love to see him back, but no izzie pretty much means no denny.

• Ashley says:

….. ghost sex.

• Cinders says:

There never really was any ghost sex, even though people keep describing it as such. They were hallucinations from her cancer-stricken brain.

• formerGreyfan says:

OMG – I wouldn’t be surprised if this episode is being created in order to bring Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Denny) back. Ghost sex is right

• Anonymous says:

Yes you are.

• Valene says:

OMG, I could not of said it better myself! I want Denny back he was awsome!!!!!As for the show it is to predictable these days, nothing really exciting has been happining. I think the what if episode part about Meridith is going to be about if her mother did not have Alzheimers than Derek would not of started that trial and Meridith would not of gotten in trouble trying to help the chiefs wife. That means they would have their baby still. As for addison and Derek, the only thing I can think of is that maybe one of them forgot to sign the divorce because Addison is trying to get pregnant on Private Practice and dont forget how both shows ended with their season final eposide!

• Lana says:

My first thought was that they should figure out a way to bring back Denny…preferably without his shirt. =D

• Viv says:

I never understood the mass appeal of Denny. I also never understood the appeal of Izzie. Pretty much every patient that lasts more than one episode is exactly like Denny. Dying from some incureable disease that a doctor at SGH can magically cure but taking the death sentence with a winning sarcastic self deprecating sense of humor. Izzie was so self righteous it was ridiculous. No matter what she did she was never wrong she just flopped about batting her eyes at everyone, taking them for granted. She treated everyone terribly but always played the victim.

• Brittany says:

THANK YOU!!! FINALLY SOMEONE SEES IZZIE THE WAY I DO! I love Katherine Heigl, but I HATED Izzie Stevens character. She was annoying, whiny, and self absorbed. Not to mention the “I love Alex”, “I love Denny”, “I love George”, “I love Alex again” bull.

• Cony says:

I agree!! Izzie’s character was sooo selfish! i hated how she only thought about her needs and feelings and left out all the rest!

• Ashley says:

Ghost sex, hallucination sex, jump the shark sex, Rhimes’ disturbing fascination with JDM, etc. Call it whatever you want. It was so bad the president of ABC had to publicly justify it.

22. RIta says:

George can’t be the person coming back from the Seattle Grace Massacre…he had already died by the time that happened. It has to be either Charles or Reid…or perhaps the shooter (didn’t he kill himself in the Chief’s office?).

23. Chadley says:

Can you please call the episode Izzie’s Anatomy…as it always should have been! And bring her and George back

24. Chris says:

I think they mean Derek and Addison not breaking after getting back together once at Seattle Grace when they tried to patch things up. Derek would have never left NY and gone to Seattle Grace if Addison didn’t have the affair with Mark Sloan….

25. Fanny says:

This sounds pretty awesome!! =)

26. Bonnie says:

YEs, can’t wait I look forward to it every Thursday and now I have to wait until the 5th of January to see the next episode! Trust me it is on my calandar! lol I had a dream the other night that I was cast in Grey’s Anatomy… maybe that is a little obsessive? lol

27. Aleta McVey says:

Wait what about the last episode. What ever happens to Teddy?? No. Are they going to finish that story line first?!?!?!?!?!?!?! =(

• Jess says:

If you read, it says in ‘February 2012′. Grey’s comes back in January, so it’ll pick up where it left off, calm down.

• Mallory says:

Yes, this episode is slated for february it states, and since the new episodes start again in January, there will be the teddy stuff taken care of before this one. This sounds like this episode is basically just a filler. And the George and Izzy thing! George won’t be back, the only what if from his situation would be what if he hadn’t jumped in front of that bus for the lady. However, if they changed that, then george’s personality would have to be changed! Plus that was from quite a few years back, in like the 3 or 4th season.

28. Kimani says:

I agree. A completely pointless mess.

• formerGreyfan says:

I’m a Mer Der fan, but Rhimes is making it easier and easier to walk away from this show. I will never again become involved in any Shondaland show. She thumbs her nose at all the Meredith/Derek fans. And Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey always show such appreciation for their fans who have watched for so long. But this is getting so bad.

29. Evy says:

What if Izzie never left?
    What if George didn’t die?
    What if Christina and Hunt didn’t got married but what if Teddy and Hunt got together?

I’m looking forward to the episode :D

30. Taylor says:

i wish it was George cuz he and April would be perfect for each other its not gonna be Geroge cuz he wasn’t part of the 2010 Massacure but who died in the 2010 massacure hmmmmmmm

31. brenda says:

The show went down hill after Dr. Burke left. It continued to go downhill after they took off George AND then Izzy?! 2 main characters who everyone loves? The show has gone down hill, I used to buy every season but not anymore. Ive stopped watching after Izzy left. And poor George, thats what really did it for me. BRING BACK THE OLD GREYS ANATOMY!!!!!!!

• Aleta says:

I felt he same way as you after Izzy left. But a year afterwards I went back and caught up. It really is good. Especially THIS season. I love it. I have been a big fan since the beginning.

• cindy says:

YES! Dr. Burke and Christina!! Wouldn’t it be awesome if they brought him back and Christina and he got married after all?? But not sure if they would bring Burke back seeing as how he was technically fired for a slanderous remark about George being gay in real life.

32. samah says:

wawwwwwwwwwwwwww Addison back to GA that would be just wonderful, can’t wait to see the episode, i used to watch GA only because of Addison

33. mia says:

Derek blamed Mer almost dying on the fact that she is dark and twisty.

34. leon63 says:

I hope it is george (who never died) or izzie (who never left) :D that would be great!!

35. Teena says:

Super excited for this episode. This was a great idea :)

36. Vicki Larson says:

OHNO ! : ( GA is getting ready to “jump the shark”. I love this show and will watch it no matter what, but when a TV show does this, well, they are on their last legs. I’d hate to see it go. I’m going to hope it suprises me and proves me wrong.

• Torie says:

I’m with you. The show does great but after postponing the show for a month and a half they are going to throw something like this into the mix? Just play the regular shows. They need to have it happen for sweeps something like a natural disaster occurs or something bizarre like that. Seems to me they are finally running out of ideas, though I would hate to see it end.

• Cinders says:

It does go back to the regular shows when it comes back in January. This episode does not air until February sweeps.

37. Boots says:

Agreed! One of the worst!

38. Marcela says:

i’d like it too! i’m watching the izzi’s cancer episodes and i cried for him!!! :(

39. ehawk says:

i want it were izzie and karev stay married if it all worked out

40. Hayden Watson says:

Burke coming back could be intersting, shame that’s not gonna happen! addison coming back though should be good :) shame no George and izzie though :/

41. ehawk says:

make one of izzie and karev stay married if it all worked out

42. Ash says:

I don’t like Addison and Derek together :( I like what if episodes but I don’t like Addison and Derek together. I hope they bring back the doctor that died but I think they’re going to bring back the shooter.

• sat says:

But that would mean that the shooting didn’t happen (or he didn’t kill himself,but then he would be in jail and not Seattle Grace), so they would have to bring back all of the victims as well, and as it is stated, only one of them return…

43. Deanna says:

OMG this is going to be a great show!! I have watched it from day one and I am worried that they are going too far but still excited to see what they do next!

44. eliza says:

I love George bring him back!

45. meg says:

Yeah, but only for this one “alternate reality” episode :(

46. Cindy says:

@Annie…I would love to see Denny come back. I wish he never would have left. I’m looking forward to it all! LOVE LOVE LOVE GA!!

47. kristi says:

I called her the evil little pixie too! I could not stand her… She was the worst!

48. Mcmama says:

Um, you just had to watch the episode to plainly see they weren’t there.

49. kenya says: