Glee First Look: Watch The Troubletones Perform 'Survivor'/'I Will Survive' at Sectionals!

Look out, New Directions. The Troubletones are gunning for a big win at Sectionals, and based on their rousing performance of ‘Survivor’/’I Will Survive’ in next week’s episode, they just might succeed.

Press play below and hit the comments with an answer to this question: Does Rachel-less New Directions stand a chance?!

Loading video...
GET MORE: Uncategorized

1. Nate says:

I really hope for a good showing by the Unitards (Harmony’s group) at Sectionals. I get confused by the redistricting every year: first Vocal Adrenaline was moved out, now Aural Intensity is gone and a victory by some group from McKinley appears to be a foregone conclusion. I just think it’d be nice if there was at least some outside drama built in.

2. Roger says:

If New Directions loses they’ll probably just join the trouble tones or something stupid. I want them to go to Nationals again. Not necessarily win, just get there and place :)

• Jay says:

Finn will be the leader he can be… and New Directions will win. I love Finn’s story – it took long enough to get there – but he is the only reason I watch the damn show. Finn will bring it home – he deserves to realize that he is great. Too bad everyone else knows this but him – maybe a win will change him a bit :)

• Noelbelle says:

If the Troubletones lose it will probably be because of the totally bizarre choreography. Did they do a chicken dance in the middle?

3. jone says:

I dont’ know why they keep pushing these broads….. I watch the show for NEW F’ING DIRECTIONS – NEW DIRECTIONS – REMEMBER THEM?!?!! Apparently the writers don’t

• Michael says:

I agree. What’ll upset me more is if that pompous, self-important twit Mercedes gets her way. As annoying as Rachel can be, I’ll take her and her voice any day over the diva bitch who still, after 2.4 seasons, is nothing more than a 1-D stereotype.

• Ron says:

Yes, didn’t they leave new directions because it was unfair how not everybody could get solos yet in this mysteriously huge group of singers (didn’t last year they have to roam the halls begging and bribing people to get enough people for just one glee club, now they have enough for two??) but only Santana and Mercedes ever sing in this new group. It’s a duet with backup dancers.

• Mia says:

I agree, if Mercedes wins it just shows everyone, you don’t have to be a team, you don’t have to work hard, you just have to act like a child and get your way. I don’t like the Mercedes character, which a shame because she had she potential. Maybe I should say I don’t like how the writers have written her character. It sucks.

• Nad says:

Are you kidding me there was no team before. It was the Rachel and Finn show as demonstrated it last year’s finale. When Rachel left before to do the show and because she wasn’t get the lead which was given to Tina there was not this much backlash. Plus the group was all but falling over themselves to get her back. Mercedes leaves and this whole “we are a family” thing goes out the window. No one talks to her and hears her side and tries to convince her to come back. So the way i see it is more power to the trouble-tones. I do think that the trouble-tones were not up to par but my guess is that was done on purpose so new directions would win.

• Nad says:

• Puckleberry says:

NEW DIRECTIONS! That’s the only reason I watch Glee. When Kurt joined the Warblers, I felt cheated. When Mercedes, Brittany and Santana jumped ship, I wanted to kick the writers! For me, the fun is watching these kids, this ragtag group of misfits.

4. dan says:

That was some seriously bad dancing. I predict the power of the Trouty Mouth will save New Directions, Shelby will get fired when Quinn blabs, and the Troubletones who aren’t red shirts will join New Directions.

Or a tie cop out.

5. Amanda says:

If Blaine has any part in the lead vocals, New Directions will win. I actually thought Mercedes vocals were a little weak here, unusual.

6. Josh says:

It bothers me how heavily their show choirs rely on soloists. And having performed in many competitions with my school show choir, I can confidently tell you-the audience NEVER reacts like that.

7. Katie says:

Anyone notice how New Directions is primarily male, were as the Troubletones are all women?

But yea New Directions will pull out a win, and they’ll get back their lost members thanks to Sam and Finn.

I think Quinn will tell on Shelby and Puck but I don’t think she originally wanted to. Remember she goes to Sam and wants to get back with him but he turns her down? I think that sets her back to thinking that she’s worthless and then tells on Puck/Shelby either that or she tells Rachel who goes to Shelby about it. That would make the most sense, since in the promo it has Quinn talking to Rachel saying “what are we going to do about it” (or something like that)

8. Tim says:

That dancing reminded me of a bad jazzercise video. I really expected better from the Troubletones. But I guess we need New Directions to win so that by seasons end we can have a nice reunion, and only one choir again.

9. Kate says:

Your telling me that Shelby who was in charge of those AWESOME Vocal Adrenaline numbers actually choreographed that routine, what were there arms doing half the time!! Yeah the singing was brilliant but the routine itself looked like a mess, and the jumping, and in those dresses, should not be allowed!

• Joanna says:

Actually, Vocal Adrenaline have a very pricey choreographer, that the ND even tried to hire in Season 1. So, since Shelby is now on McKinley, and we know that they are tight in budget, they won’t be able to afford said choreographer, thus, this ‘messy’ choreography..

10. Jeff says:

Cool mashup!

11. Lore says:

I really think that New Directions can win, maybe they dont have Rachel, but come on, they got Finn, Blaine, Kurt, Rory, Tina, Queen, Puck and now Sam, of course they can win, besides i dont like the glitter dress and the dancing was mmmm….
    Go New Directions, btw the troubletones have 12 members!!

12. Stacey says:

@Tim, you are so right. I feel like Jand Fonda should have been standing in front of them. Not the best performance or dancing in the show. Even first season Finn danced better.

13. Jorge Jose Herrera says:

While I hope the New Directions win, and there is no doubt that they won’t, I just hope that their performance is actually better than this. It will be tough to beat. Amber Riley and Naya Rivera are both immensely talented and the New Directions have their work cut out for them, especially since Rachel is banned from Sectionals.

14. TamIWas says:

I actually found this performance mediocre. I didn’t think the vocals were great, the dancing was awful and I didn’t love the song choice. If they really wanted to put up a good fight, they should have done the Adele number from a couple weeks ago.

15. O'Brien says:

Michael – any word on if they’re ever going to address the fact that neither group has 12 people, and therefore, they don’t have enough to compete in Sectionals? This was a kind of huge plot point for two years, and it seems it’s now entirely forgotten. I’m cool with the rival glee club storyline, but I just want to know if this will ever be addressed.

• Carol says:

It looks like there’s 12 girls in the performance. How all they all randomly popped up out of nowhere is yet to be seen, but at least they’re following Sectional rules….

• L'Anon says:

Except from Sugar all the girls are always shown as Cheerios, you can see them in the “run The World” performance along with others. So Santana and Brittany probably just asked them to join.

• Marie says:

Actually, if you look at the video above, the Trouble Tones do have 12 members. From what I hear, New Directions does address it and do have 12 members to compete.

16. the girl says:

I liked the mash-up, I wished they had changed up the music a bit like on the Survivor bridge where the bass line drops out. That would have made for a fantastic build up into the I Will Survive chorus. But as far as mash-ups go, this was a pretty successful one.
    I agree about the dancing though, I mean really. But the silver outfits are no worse than those white suits New Directions is wearing, so that part is a wash.
    Prediction: New Directions will win and Santana, Brittany & Mercedes will eventually be allowed to rejoin the club for nationals. Although I think they should be told no way, and I wonder why there’s no rule against changing your group members between competitions like that.

17. O'Brien says:

Also, good performance, but it lacked what New Directions has in spades, which is a whole lot of heart. I think this must be intentional – that was Rachel’s knock on Vocal Adrenaline for Jesse’s brilliant but ultimately heartless (which is sort of what made it great) performance. Perhaps we’re supposed to think this about Shelby’s groups. I would imagine this is going to be a very male-driven number for New Directions, which will serve as an interesting contrast to the Troubletones. Can’t wait!

18. Berglund says:

OK, how the heck did the troubletones get to perform anyway? Doesn’t anyone remember the rule that there needs to be 11 members in order to perform? did the writers just forget that rule all together?

19. Bobby says:

THAT ROCKS!! Please people stop bitching! If you don’t like GLEE turn the damn television off or find something else. And for God’s sake quit watching the previews TVLine puts up.

Thank you TVLine for this site and all your up-to-date news.

20. Mehvash says:

This performance was not as good as their Adele Mashup. too bad..but this show was always about New Directions and while Mercedes and Santana have great voices..their attitudes are poor and i hate the way they left. i don’t think the deserve to win and hope that the New directions end up pulling out the win.

21. Crys says:

I’m sorry, but i hope that the Troubletones win. I’m actually sick of Finn and without Rachel I don’t like the voices of New Directions. (I’m an not a fan of Kurt’s, Finn’s or Blaine’s voice) It doesn’t matter which team wins because they both come from the same school which means that either may be combined to move on to regionals. I like how the girls deflected and ended up creating a pretty great group. Glee is about the underdog and I think the Troubletones are just that. Sorry, just giving a different opinion.

• jules says:

you read my mind!!!

• GiuVe says:

Glee is about individuals with penises being superior to women, so ND will win even if they walk on stage and just crap on it.

• ron says:

A great group? They are 2 singers and 10 back up dancers

• Pressha says:

If you feel the need to apologize, twice, why bother posting your opinion at all?

• Monkeyrat says:

Because they can? Don’t know, just a thought… *facepalms*

IA with Crys, thought unfortunately according to the spoilers the ND ultimately win.

Just my two cents but I think that Shelby knows that she has to leave, and maybe the TT win/have the potential to win but they forfeit after Shelby tells them their new glee club won’t exist anymore (and they know they won’t be able to make it through regionals, thus they give ND a chance to stay in the race because they’re still friends and also because they can reunite too). I don’t know, it seems plausible. I honestly don’t see HOW the ND could win over the TT, especially without Rachel and without giving Artie/Kevin the lead on Man In The Mirror because if there’s one singer among them who can pull an MJ song perfectly, it’s HIM. Finn and Puck can’t sing, Blaine has a good voice but can’t sing anything, same for Kurt and Sam. We already know that Quinn and Tina are basically female props in this, and Mike… well, he’s nice and all but.. stick to dancing man.

@O’Brien: you think the TT are heartless? Ok, it’s your opinion and everybody can’t react/feel the same way, especially when it comes to music. But I think the lyrics of this particular mash-up combined to Mercedes’ and especially Santana’s storylines are really what we can define as “heartfelt” singing. Same thing for RHI/SLY, this mash-up was not just for the show. They’re nothing like Vocal Adrenaline. Meanwhile, in the ND choir room > “red-so-lo-cup… I-fill-you-up!”. Nuff said lol.

Besides, a little reminder: Mercedes, Santana and Brittany come from ND and have been with them for 2 years before giving birth to The Troubletones, so I guess they know/learned a little something about having a lot of “heart” haha ;)

22. Perola says:

I miss Britney singing…

23. Billie says:

There are 12 people in this group. Minus Mercedes, Santana and Brittany who were already glee club members, where did these other 9 girls who are willing and wanting to be in a glee club come from? I mean, they struggle every year to have enough members to compete?

24. Jan says:

We haven’t seen their song yet, but I hope the New Directions win. The guys have strong voices. I’m hoping Sam, Blaine and Rory make the difference.

• GiuVe says:

Laughing so hard at either one of those guys having a stronger voice than Mercedes or Santana. The only one who can pull of singing a Michael Jackson song is Artie and he’s barely singing a few lines.
      ND will win because they have to, otherwise they don’t have a show anymore, but realistically, now that the ND are without Rachel, the Trouble Tones are better cause they have two amazing singer and the girls are all akmazing dancers.

• ThereasonsY says:

ND doesn’t have to win, McKinley does. The groups will be merged by the end of the season once Shelby get’s fired for sleeping with Puck and cause Will to freak out once he realizes how awful of a director he actually is. Expect Sugar to sound phenomenal the next time you hear her sing.

25. Sean C. says:

Realistically, New Directions is incapable of beating that performance. They can’t dance anywhere near that well.

Of course, the writers will ignore that, and have them win because they have “heart”, regardless of their inferiority in what the competition is actually about. If “Glee” was about hockey, ND would win despite scoring fewer goals.

• Jacob says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Troubletones actually won, but something happened that makes the ineligible of the win. You can see in the clip that Shelby doesn’t look happy, and with Quinn knowing the truth, maybe that hinders their chances of winning, thereby defaulting the win the ND.

• Hannah says:

Uh, yeah they can’t dance well, but personally I think they can give more of a group performance. Santana & Mercedes are amazing, to be sure, but it’s pretty much just them singing. And glee is, or should be, more about the vocals than the choreography.

Ultimately I don’t care who wins, but “realistically” they are capable of beating it because with groups like ND and the Troubletones, there can be no one best team – everything about singing (& the arts as a whole) is subjective. It’s personal, and most definitely nothing like hockey. Your response, and this whole thread, is just one excellent example of that.

26. gaby says:

Without Rachel i dont think the nd will win this time!, i love troubletones performance!!

27. Diana says:

Amazing. The only way ND will beat that is if TT are disqualified because of Shelby. I hope we get the TroubleTones performing during the tour this summer. I will be in the front row of every show within 500 miles of me if we do. Naya Rivera has officially stolen my heart. (P.S. Stfu, smug Finn. I am so over you right now)

28. D-Dub says:

I know it’s a drama, and all. No one wants to see a show about them rehearsing the same music for 4 weeks, learning parts, rehearsing choreography, doing homework. The amount of music they do learn is commendable. Yes every week we see magic mixes that just seem to pop out of nowhere. Season 1 we saw the ND fall to 3rd at regionals, and last year 12th at nationals (which is still pretty impressive out of 50). This year I’d like to see them in the top 10 at nationals. Show like the sing off for example do show that range of performance (with all voices mind you).

We have to allow ourselves to be caught up in the drama in order to enjoy it and move on from there. (end rant).

I think the TTs might win sectionals with ND as runner up and they both move on to regionals.

29. TheReasonsY says:

YAWN. The writers better surprise me because what I am seeing is the Trouble Tones FTW. Shelby gets found out and fired. Shuester takes over and merges the two groups (wonder where all of the extras will run off to once the number 12 is no longer needed. Also how did they get them since everyone hates Glee) with a new rightfully so diva attitude from Mercedes and Santana pushing around a demoralized Rachel since they now have won twice thanks to Mercedes and Santana. Making Rachel seem even more pathetic just in time for the NYADA interviews and that glee project girl. Meanwhile the uber talented Jenna U will be ignored for the rest of the season. And that’s what will happen on Glee.

30. season 1 was better says:

last season was all kurt drama show, this season is poor santana, i miss funny comedy glee.

31. Fido says:

Maybe I’m missing something but this just sounded bland to me, like all the personality / life / edge from the original versions had been stripped away to leave a compitant/competant generic karaoke version.

32. Sharon says:

But, on the other side, Tina FINALLY has the chance to shine with New Directions.

33. Jane says:

First Adele, now this. I was happy hating the mashups on Glee, but the stuff troubletones are singing is really f’cking awesome!

34. Alex says:

There is no mash-up that can top the Adele one. With that being said, I really enjoyed this mash-up but I wasn’t a huge fan of the choreography.

35. ms_mae says:

i predict that the trouble tones will win. But Shelby will get fired cuz Quinn will tell on her. Good hearted Shue will offer to take over the group, and then they’ll merge…just in time to head off to nationals…

36. I’m with the others here, lovin’ the troubletones and their mashups! But I want new directions to make it to Nationals, soooo conflict! Keeps me watching I guess ;)

37. Meghan H. says:

Anybody else notice that they showed Chord Overstreet in the back watching. Hope this means he is coming back.

38. Jones says:

Way too much jumping around. I liked the medley, though.

39. ceebee says:

Yeow….that choreography was Terrible! The TT’s looked like a group of dancing baked potatoes!

• Amanda says:

Its a form of latin street dancing called WHACKING. They were amazing at it. the entire dance routing was incredible. SO difficult, so emotional. just amazing. It may look sloppy to some, but to those that know what it is , understand that they are dancing a specific style called Whacking and its not sloppy AT ALL. they are doing the dance exactly how it should be done.

40. Mary says:

I love the Troubletones. I really do, and I’m not going to lie about it. I’m aware that it’s basically Santana and Mercedes with a group of background dancers, occassionally with Brittany delivering a verse or two, but I love their voices so much, especially Santana’s, that I’m not going to complain. The rest of the girls are probably cheerios anyway, who only joined for Santana and Brittany’s sake. However, this performance was obviously made so they would get second place. There’s no other reason for it. We all know that New Directions is going to have a few struggles, but they’re going to overcome in the end. It’s just what they do. But is it so difficult for them to make it a little more even? Realistically, with Shelby as a coach, they wouldn’t be doing this badly. Also, in reality, they would just be doing the Adele number, though I know that can’t happen on Glee. I just think New Direction’s win would mean more if the writers actually gave the Troubletones a fighting shot.

41. Mark says:

This “two Glee clubs” has to be one of the 10 worst storylines in the history of TV. Here we have our beloved McKinley-ites struggling with senior year, sexuality, relationships, their futures, their pasts and we can’t draw enough drama from that… So… WE CREATE TWO GLEE CLUBS. Seriously, this is the dumbest thing I can imagine. It makes House driving his car into Cuddy’s house almost look… well, nevermind, that’s also in the all-time bottom 10.

I can’t be bothered with paying any attention to the show unless the kids are singing or some other drama is playing out. Santana’s episode last week was lovely. Well done all around. The music was good too. Once the story returns to the Glee vs. Glee, I start surfing the net again. If it continues into January, I’ll be deleting it from my DVR.

42. fiona says:

so mercedes actually tries and practice dance now that she’s a trouble tone? She couldn’t work like this with ND?

43. CastleBuffySVU says:

I don’t really like it that much. I’m not saying it’s BAD, but it’s kind of ‘blah’ for me. The Troubletones just make me mad in general though, because it’s so ridiculous! The reason they never got solos, is because 80% of the time, they were acting like entitled divas! Poor Brittany just got pulled around because of Santana. She just gets ignored in the Troubletones anyways. The backup Cheerios is really dumb too, because New Directions struggled for a long time just trying to find members. Even their Adele mashup wasn’t THAT amazing, in my opinion. I’ve heard better out of New Directions. They have so much diversity in their group, and that’s what I always loved about them. I feel bad for Rachel, but it is time to let Tina get some spotlight, because she’s amazing. I think it’s time for Santana and Mercedes to get an attitude adjustment.

• Caroline says:

New Directions stink. Rachel STINKs. I am so glad that Santana and Mercedes are out of their stinking ship. they are not entitled if they recognize that there talents are being wasted.

44. Mia says:

Wouldn’t it make sense that the Troubletones are disqualified for the “unethical” actions of their director, with the whole sleeping with a student from the other choir thing? I would hope it’s just a straight best group wins. However we all know anything is possible in Glee world.

45. Kelly says:

Has anyone else noticed that Glee has created a Twilight-like scenario in which Puck has made out with not only Rachel, but her biological mother Shelby as well? Gross.

46. hannah says:

does anyone else think Mercedes looks so pretty? Man she has lost a lot of weight since the show first started

47. Mal says:

“I’m a Survivor”‘s music is so, so, so cheesy that of course they can’t win.

Should’ve just repeated the super-strong Adele mash-up.

• Lauren says:

the only reason they loose from this is because quinn blabs to figgens about shelby and she gets kicked out because this performance was great.

48. Bulmaro says:

The Troubletones were AMAZING. I LOVE the choreography! By the way, it whacking. It’s a latin dance or something.

• Sadie says:

Yeah, I thought it was the whacking/wacking that was featured in last season of “So You Think You Can Dance.” I didn’t really love the choreography, but I get what they were going for. My favorite part was when they were bouncing around at the end because it just looked like they were having a good time. Ha. :)

49. tracie says:

The troubletones is supposed to be an all girls group. That was decided when they all left. And new directions is mostly guys because they lost several girls to either the troubletones or just because they left the group.

50. Amanda says:

PEOPLE WHO THINK THE CHOREO IS “SLOPPY”- They are doing a form of latin street dancing called WHACKING. It may look sloppy to some, but to those that know what it is , understand that they are dancing a specific style called Whacking and its not sloppy AT ALL. they are doing the dance exactly how it should be done.