Exclusive Glee First Look: Sam Fights to Win Back Mercedes, and She's Surprisingly [Spoiler]!

Trouty Mouth is fishing for a reunion.

Chord Overstreet’s Sam returns to Glee on Tuesday (8/7c on Fox) and he’s determined to pick up right where he left off last summer with now-ex-girlfriend Mercedes.

Glee Exclusive: Ricky Martin Poised to Play [Spoiler Alert]!

Of course, as Mercedes is quick to remind him, she’s got a new (and rather imposing) boyfriend now and she has zero interest in being at the center of another drama-filled McKinley love triangle.

But actions speak louder than words, and Mercedes’ actions — namely her facial expression in the final seconds of the following clip  — speak volumes.

Loading video...

For Glee Scoop 24/7 follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (191)

• I literally died in the first 2 seconds!! trouty mouth :)

Comment by Emma – December 2, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they are SO cute! I know a lot of Glee fans have a problem with it when they put hot guys with heavier girls (Puck/Lauren, Mercedes/Sam) but I think they’re great together. Plus, Mercedes is really pretty so I don’t think it’s totally inconcievable he would date her.

Comment by Captain – December 2, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would Mercedes even have to think about it for a second? SAM EVERY TIME! When Sam wants to date you, you say yes.

Comment by DUDE – December 2, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People who don’t like Mercedes because she’s a diva but like Rachel and Kurt are hypocrites. I think having an interracial relationship would be awesome :) I honestly think it’s because she’s black. (Also I’m white)

Comment by i feel like – December 2, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. Nice to know I am not by myself.

Comment by Divine – December 2, 2011 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe it’s because we don’t know why she acts the way she acts. She’s just a diva with no explanation why she wants it so bad. We’ve seen why Rachel and Kurt do what they do. Mercedes? Nope. Just is.

Comment by Thomas – December 2, 2011 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s the writer’s fault for not giving her a backstory and just making her a 1 dimensional character. And I honestly do believe that all the samcedes hate is because of the fact that she’s not a size 2 and she’s black.

Comment by Emma – December 3, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nope. I like the fact that Amber Riley is NOT a size 2 or caucasian. I think it’s great someone as talented as her is on such a popular tv show (though ratings seem to keep falling and, as much as I like her, Amber should hone her acting skills). I’m not into the Samcedes story because of the bad writing. And the writers do not know what to do with a character like Mercedes (or Tina, for that matter). What they’ve done with her this season is terrible. But I am all for a big, beautiful artist like Amber. Btw, has anyone noticed how we’ve only seen her getting chaste pecks? What’s wrong with showing her kissing someone like all the other characters?

Comment by LikeAmberHateMercedes – December 4, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agreed. I don’t understand it, why does the Mercedes character gets so much hate. She is beautiful and very talented. But because she African American and Plus size people put her down. Not everyone is a size 0 or the color of snow. But why should that matter. That’s what glee is about. Encouraging viewers to be who they are. Not what others consider acceptable standards. Because you can’t please everyone. So ain’t no point in trying. SAMCEDES ALL THE WAY!!!!!

Comment by Inez – December 4, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee has touched on other couples who are not in mainstream. I think it is a wonderful idea to have an interacial couple at McKinley. There many interacial couples out there in the world today to represent a voice. Why not? Besides, They’re cute together. Then maybe Mercedes when she rejoins the ND will be happy again.

Comment by yep – December 5, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that they are adorable and they have plenty of chemistry. It would be nice for them to develop another couple. I hate what they have done with Mercedes but I would like to see where they are going to take this. And it’s nice to see Sam back.

Comment by Divine – December 2, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO CUTE! I’ve never been a big Mercedes fan (TOO much diva attitude), but this could redeem her. Love Sam, he is adorable.

Comment by Mikaylah – December 2, 2011 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I usually abhor the love triangle angle on Glee, this one might be interesting…as long as it doesn’t drag out. I’ve been hoping for Sam and Mercedes to happen since Prom Queen. Get rid of her boyfriend (because I don’t know anyone who cares about him), and lets see Sam and Mercedes’ relationship truly develop. They have amazing chemistry together!

Comment by K – December 2, 2011 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Chord is even cuter now than last season! Glad he’s back!

Comment by mg714 – December 2, 2011 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, some of these comments are harsh. Really, you’re going to stop watching Glee because you do not agree with a certain couple or Mercedes is getting too much screen time now? Um, she was only highlighted in maybe 2 episodes this season, but now that she gets a story its not interesting enough? Tired of love triangles yet most did not complain about the Rachel, Finn, Quinn triangle, or the Quinn, Puck, Finn triangle or the Tina, Artie, Mike, triangle, or the Artie, Britney, Santana angle?. LOL everyone has dated everyone in Glee except for Mercedes, yet now its not okay?. Too bad she doesn’t look like Quinn, Rachel, Santana, or Britney, then being a diva, going back and forth between boys, being a little crazy, being a little mean, would be alright. smdh.

Comment by M – December 3, 2011 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree.

Comment by randomviewer – December 3, 2011 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s good.

Comment by yep – December 3, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is no way I could have said this better.

Comment by Noelle – December 6, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like what you said made no sense though…

Comment by But – December 3, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Samcedes and I really hope that the writers give them the solid, worthy storyline that they deserve…love this couple!

Comment by JmK – December 3, 2011 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This first time this season I havent wanted to slap Mercedes round the face. If Sam can give her a decent, un diva like storyline, then i’m all for his return.

Comment by Jo – December 3, 2011 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just so happy. Waited so long for this moment and…and…he just held her hand and told her he’d fight for her. And her smile! *dead*
    “It was more than that.” FANGIRLING! OK, ignore me, my mind is going into overdrive due to excitement. Eeek! Tuesday, please hurry up! Who knows what other scenes are waiting for us.

Comment by Caitlin – December 3, 2011 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG please not. Stop this Samcedes nonsense! No chemistry, completely boring and nobody cares.
    Has anyone noticed that this scene absolutely makes no sense? Where was the build-up? The handhold in New York? Oh please… *sigh*

Comment by Canoe – December 3, 2011 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know when they were together in the last episode of season 2, I thought it was kinda not right. I still do, they don’t fit together, and I prefer Mercedes new boyfriend.

Comment by Natasha – December 3, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, two good looking, dudes fighting over the ugly fat chick , realistic.

Oh no he didn’t

Comment by frank the tank – December 3, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like Puck and Zizes made a lot of sense? Yeah, right. And for the record Amber Riley is beautiful and she’s not even that big. She’s lost a lot of weight this season and she looks great.

Comment by Emma – December 3, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly…she is gorgeous!

Comment by Chris – December 4, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What two good looking dudes? Only Chord Overstreet as Sam is cute. And Amber is not ugly. Yup, she’s on the heavy side, but she’s definitely one attractive lady. Just don’t care for another Glee love triangle.

Comment by Huh? – December 4, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i respect sam’s fans. I really do. But, for ME, and for ME ONLY, Sam would never come back. I didn’t mis him not even for a second, I rather have a Mike Chang history line than Sam’s. I would prefer heard Brittany having the song, than Sam. And I would like to have Mercede’s boyfriend join Glee than Sam. I don’t like the character. He has no depht. He’s, blond, he plays football (or swimm, whatever) and sing with a guitar. That’s all i get of him. Please, let the Glee be the Glee.

Comment by Perola – December 3, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is scene is the most contrived thing I’ve seen in so long. Glee, can we get some creative storylines for once? So sick of all the love triangles. Was sick of the love triangles already last season! Over this couple before they’ve even began. I love Sam, but if this is the reason they brought him back, he should have stayed gone.

Comment by Clara – December 3, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have missed that beautiful trouty mouth!!!!

Comment by mandy – December 3, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is definely eye candy. I like candy. Puck was my eye candy but what’s up with the mohawk. Puck is still my Puckzilla. Bad hairday or not.

Comment by bytheseatofmypants – December 3, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is why i still watch the show

Comment by Maricela – December 3, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG SAME SAMCEDES IS AMAZING :D

Comment by Suzi – December 4, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love samcedes, they are soooo cute. Sam and Quinn don’t belong together Sam and Mercedes do. I can’t wait to see them become a couple again.

Comment by Diamond – December 3, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Sam!

Comment by Jones – December 3, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mercedes And Sam ! ♥♥

Comment by AnaBeatriz – December 4, 2011 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t like close minded people. Number 1. people saying there is no chemistry. did you just watch the clip, there is flipping chemistry and i thought that that was so cute. Number 2. people saying they’re not watching Glee anymore, well that’s stupid you can’t not watch Glee just because of this that’s stupid and those people were probably never really into it anyway. Gonna call yourself a Gleek,act like one. period.
    SAMCEDES FTW

Comment by Suzi – December 4, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok i love this i really do Go Sam gonna get back his girl.But I’m so sick of saying Quin and Sam should get back together i really am SHE LIED AND CHEATED ON HIM WHO IN THERE WRIGHT MIND WOULD WANT SOME ONE THAT DID HAT TO THEM I WOULDED.And the people who do say they should the just want some one who lied to there face and cheated, to tell you the truth i like quin just not with sam i this she should be with puck i really do think that if not puck then some one new.

Comment by Samcedes fan1 – December 4, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But Sam is a good guy and trusted Quinn with his secret s2 being homeless and she helped take care of his siblings. So he knows her and her faults but his heart is for Mercedes right now. So we’ll see how it plays out. But IMO Quinn needs quindependence for a while to do some soul searching and find inner peace before latching onto a boyfriend. Last year she mad.e poor choices and is hurting because of them. And she never got over her family issues or the loss of Beth. Sam doesn’t need that baggage so to speak.

Comment by yep – December 5, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam and Mercedes belong together and they have alot of chemistry. Can’t wait for tuesday episode. I can’t wait when they get back together, they are so adorable(:

Comment by Tori – December 4, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should have seen this coming… for some reason Glee hates African-American male characters. First Dijon Talton is given nothing and then disappears from the show, only to be replaced by a white guy. Then they bring in LaMarcus Tinker, give him absolutely no story and only a few more lines than Dijon had, and he is going to be replaced by the same white guy!! I don’t understand why Glee hates black men…

Comment by Trish – December 4, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he’s back for good.

Comment by gaby – December 4, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awww so cute…wish I had a guy say that to me :)

Comment by Lisa – December 4, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!! Love Chord! Hope he’s back to Stay!!!

Comment by camo – December 4, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So remember the whole sectionals thing? Anyone? Oh k, lets focus on a badly contrived storyline and make the fanfiction/internet shippers happy. Well done Glee writers!

Comment by Jenn – December 4, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been missing Sam this whole season…..I cannot wait to see him AGAIN and I hope he is back permanently.

Comment by PMR – December 4, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeaaa Ryan!! I think you all decided to cast a horrible bf for Mercedes so that we would cheer to have Chord back on — toootally worked. Samcedes has such sweet, lovey-dovey chemistry, i can’t get the goofy giggle off my face. My two favorite characters out of a cast of great peeps. (Emma very close second.) Love it. Love it. Love it!!

Comment by Samcedes FTW!!! – December 4, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ppl mercedez bf was the one telling her that she is better than new directions remeber, so i samcedez all the way….plus he is so much hotter

Comment by Elizabeth – December 4, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not some big fan of his but even I thought his character was a keeper. They look too cute …and her smile at the end, so sweet. A boy that wants to make a summer romance into something more serious is rare… well written writers ;)

Comment by Elle – December 4, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad Sam’s back, I hope the writers put him & Mercedes back together. They are so adorable! It felt like a bit of a cop-out, sticking Mercedes with some random guy at the start of the season. With Sam back she might actually get a proper storyline of her own (which I have been waiting for since the series started.

Comment by Ren – December 4, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My only issue with this storyline is that they made it seem like Sam and Mercedes had this great romance but all that was shown was them holding hands once

Comment by Allie – December 4, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always like Sam and Mercedes…since their prom date when he was sooooo sweet and walked up to her to ask her to dance. Glad he’s back in town. And isn’t her current boyfriend one of the jocks who harassed Kurt with the other jocks? Why does he look so familiar? When are they bringing back Karofsky (besides that little snipit you saw of him in a gay bar)? The actor (Max Adler) CAN sing and they should incorporate him into an episode.

Comment by Terry – December 4, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I fear they are done with Max and Karofsky which is a shame he would bring a much more interesting storyline.

Comment by LoveMaxAdler – December 5, 2011 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, all this is interesting, but what about a real storyline between Puck and Shelby ?! No one talks about it !

Comment by LoveGlee – December 4, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont love or hate samcedes. I think they r ok 2gether… But I would rather c Mercedes with Sam than with Shane. He encouraged her 2 leave the new directions!

Comment by Ashley – December 4, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHHHHHHH, no real storyline between Puck and Shelby. End it. End it now. She is his ex-girlfriends mother! Can you imagine how that would mess him up? And the woman who adopted his baby! (Now that will mess Quinn up even more.) Plus how many years is she his senior? He may be 18 but she can still get arrested for what she did with a high school student. You guys know we wouldn’t even be entertaining the idea if it were Rachel and Mr. Schue.

Comment by Layla – December 4, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah because everyone hates Will. If he slept with a student people would quit watching in protest.

Comment by No More Will – December 5, 2011 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ewwwwww Sam&Mercedes :&

Comment by F – December 4, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes yes yes yes yes he back

Comment by mary lue dollo – December 4, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg…if he came up to me and held my hand and smiled at me with those sexy trouty lips, I’d melt inside too haha. I would also be grinning a lot wider than that! Shane would be history instantaneously!

Comment by Tina – December 4, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samcedes all the way! I really can’t stand Shane. I think he has an unhealthy influence over her. I really don’t like him. Besides he hasn’t even been mentioned really as her “boyfriend” since episode 3 so what difference does it make?

Comment by Anna – December 4, 2011 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shut up SHANE! Sam is back in town!

Comment by Nicole – December 4, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think sam should go out with Santna and Brittney should go back with arty

Comment by chris oneal – December 4, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously what is with the lighting? Any darker and we wouldn’t be able to see anything! But a very sweet scene either way :)

Comment by Megan – December 4, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching this all i could think and say were “He’s So Hot!!!!!!!!!”

Comment by imonmon – December 4, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post