Exclusive Glee First Look: Sam Fights to Win Back Mercedes, and She's Surprisingly [Spoiler]!

Trouty Mouth is fishing for a reunion.

Chord Overstreet’s Sam returns to Glee on Tuesday (8/7c on Fox) and he’s determined to pick up right where he left off last summer with now-ex-girlfriend Mercedes.

Glee Exclusive: Ricky Martin Poised to Play [Spoiler Alert]!

Of course, as Mercedes is quick to remind him, she’s got a new (and rather imposing) boyfriend now and she has zero interest in being at the center of another drama-filled McKinley love triangle.

But actions speak louder than words, and Mercedes’ actions — namely her facial expression in the final seconds of the following clip  — speak volumes.

Loading video...

For Glee Scoop 24/7 follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (191)

• Breathe. Gosh I would smile like that too.

Comment by Shannika – December 2, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES YES YES!!!!! He’s always been so adorkable and lovable to me and now we see to Mercedes as well. HOPE HOPE HOPE it happens for them. Soooooooooo good together. Sam has and always will be a favorite of mine. He’s not always hung up on his hunk body which is great BTW. Mercedes you go girl.

Comment by yep – December 3, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just love adorkable people…

Comment by Lili – December 4, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m happy for both stars. Merc has alway been a winner and Sam got deal some hard knots. I glad she is not the girl w/the gay friend and nothing else. She is bigger than life and has earn her place up front. Thank God Sam is not all about himself but can see the beauty inside and outside of her. He needs to fight for her to see herself in his eyes. I hope GLEE kept this up!!!!! GO!!!!!!GLEE!!!!

Comment by emae0731 – February 5, 2012 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree that they should go out

Comment by clarissa heart – January 2, 2014 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes! he is so cute and how importent can her boyfriend really be we have only heard him talk twice in the last 7 episodes

Comment by ashli – December 3, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope we don’t have to hear her boyfriend say anything else – he mumbled his way through some of the worst line delivery I’ve ever heard. If I’d cared what he had to say at all, I would’ve had to rewind it and put the captioning on.

Comment by Jenn – December 4, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL IKR SAM IS A HOTTIE HER BOYFRIEND IS NOT LOL SO IF SHE DONT WANT SAM I DO LOL

Comment by saquoia – December 5, 2011 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • people ! do you have this video in youtube.com or something? because i can see it in this player ! help ! ;D

Comment by izka – December 4, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The video is at the GleeOnFox page in youtube as SneakPeek 2 from this episode :) Hope you find it!

Comment by Tinemi – December 5, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had about zero interest in them before this clip but now I think they’re kind of cute?!

Comment by kela – December 2, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG SAME. I now get the love he always gets from his fans. i love him now. before i thought he was a nothing character but now, i’m in love with him and mercedes from this one clip… :/

Comment by Rae – December 2, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG me too! This is the first time I have ever cared even a little bit about Sam. NICE!

Comment by andie – December 3, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awwwww trouty mouth :)

Comment by heather – December 2, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nice!! trouty mouth haha lmfao

Comment by Haileighe – December 4, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is soooooooooo cute <3

Comment by Shannika – December 2, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no!! it’s like see Finn with Tina or Rachel with Artie!! there’s no chemestry there!! please don’t do that!! Quinn and Sam maybe but don’t return troudy mouth! enought people already

Comment by maru – December 2, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • quinn and sam are the past… deal with it!

Comment by ye – December 2, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hahahhahaha i’m klaine team!! i have no interest in sam or quinn but sam and mercedes has no chemestry so i suggest ti put sam maybe with quinn!!

Comment by maru – December 2, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i think you’re just a troll.

Comment by lyla – December 2, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • How about you let glee tell their back story before you start saying they have no chemistry.

Comment by marie – December 4, 2011 12:57 PM PDT
          • I like happiness too :D

Comment by Mushu – December 4, 2011 04:37 PM PDT
        • Don’t listen to Maru they don’t know anything about chemistry. If they did they wouldn’t love Klaine as much as they obviously do. KLAINE SUX! Get rid of Darren and Cory they are ruining the show!

Comment by Klaine SUX! – December 5, 2011 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Opinions vary but Cory is a wonderful actor and is perfect as Finn. I do like Darren as Blaine he’s really grown on me. Now as a big shipper of two of the most popular couples I’m very happy with these guys in their relationships. Especially s3. S2 Finn was written to be unpopular with fans. He was written to do some crazy selfish things that was o out of character to s1 Finn. But so far Finn s3 is more mature. Made mistakes but tries to be a better person. Not as selfish. Blaine is finally having a broader dimension to his character making him more interesting. As to ruining the show not to me at all. What is different is Kurt who is more passive s2 and s3. So at times I’ve been disgruntled about the writing in some of the s3 episodes but Finn and Blaine will be favorites of mine as is Sam and Puck.

Comment by yep – December 5, 2011 01:49 PM PDT
      • Chord seems to think otherwise. According to him, the possibility of them getting back together again in the future is still open.

Comment by GleeFan – December 2, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I felt a lot of chemistry there. I seriously had no interest in this ship, just passing thru and saw this article. Wow, Samcedes is actually pretty cute lol.

Comment by Bee – December 2, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. I was NOT expecting that. They are freaking adorable! I mean, I thought they had potential from the little we saw of them in season 2, but I never expected the chemistry to be this amazing. This scene totally sold me. I guess I’m officially a Samcedes shipper.

Comment by lc – December 2, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess we saw different clip. There IS CHEMISTRY. They both had smirks on their faces. It’s gonna happen. I’m so happy.

Comment by yep – December 3, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well… at least he’s not trying to get her to cheat on Shane.

Comment by adfasdf – December 2, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omgomgomg!!!! SHIPPING SAMCEDES SO HARD RIGHT NOW!!

Comment by rikk – December 2, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are so cute! I can’t wait to see more of this.

Comment by LC – December 2, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Say no to Samcedes.

Comment by A – December 2, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SAY YES TO SAMCEDES.
      YES YES YES YES YES

Comment by cris – December 2, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would you rather she stayed with Shane? He’s a total douche.

Comment by Brad – December 4, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The jury is still out on her boyfriend, but her “built like a bulldozer” line is NOT assuaging my worries for Mercedes.

Comment by Kim – December 4, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWW! I cannot wait for this ep!

Comment by Ricky – December 2, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go, Sammy, go!! I am so glad Samcedes is gonna have a second chance!

Comment by Quinn – December 2, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sam and Quinn would be so damn cute together…especially because she has no “man” right now.

Comment by Lizz – December 4, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • okay, that is adorable.

Comment by Lauren – December 2, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! They’re so effing adorable!

Comment by Alliah – December 2, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FABREVANS WILL NEVER DIE

Comment by Rebecca – December 2, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • actually, since she’s completely screwed in the head right now, I’m pretty sure it’s dead.

Comment by Hae – December 4, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, that’s the most dashing I’ve ever seen Sam! And I like~ This could be an incredibly cute romance (err, love triangle… but I don’t really care about Mercedes’s current boyfriend). Glad to see Sam back!

Comment by Cy – December 2, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shane has been in the background with little or no screen presence. IMO his stint on the show is short lived. Samcedes YES YES!!!! Both of them smiling they know it will happen. Yes the chemisry is amazing.

Comment by yep – December 3, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God I love Samcedes! And I saw a LOT of chemistry there! I’m so glad the writers took this storyline back!!

Comment by Guada – December 2, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is this real life ?

Comment by goqh – December 2, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HER SMIRK! Samcedes is amazing!

Comment by Susan – December 2, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no disprespect to the actor, but why they decided to bring Sam back is beyond me. He barely had a story arc last season, and now what, another love triange. Can Glee not get some creative writers who can do more than repeat the same story line over and over again.

No to Sam & Mercedes, and the less we see of him the better. Give Mercedes aq better story line than that, she deserves one.

Comment by L – December 2, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not feeling this pairing at all whatsoever. And not looking forward to yet another love triangle. If this is the sole reason they brought Sam back, I’d prefer they hadn’t then to be honest. Love Sam, but come on. -__-

Comment by Layla – December 2, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw no! More Mercedes?! Glee has been so great without all her diva drama lately.

Comment by Bonnie – December 2, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She has “diva drama” because the stupid writers don’t know what else to do with her.

Comment by Lessa – December 2, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wanna explain the difference between Mercedes ‘diva drama’ vs…Berry’s?

Yea, it got a bit ugly, but come on! Years of taking the back seat and then being put down in front of those who you come to see as another family?! I would’ve finally snapped too. And to see her blossom in The Troubletones has been stellar!

Sam and Mercedes FTW =D

Comment by Neece – December 3, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samcedes. Somewhere a puppy is being nailed to a wall.

Comment by Thomas – December 2, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a cute couple, who’da-thunk-it? I just hope Sam doesn’t pay for it with his face :X Her boyfriend is HUGE

Comment by Denise@americanhorrorstoryfan – December 2, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love it. So glad they are revisting this storyline. Was bummed Murphy had kicked Chord to the curb, or Chord leaving. Whatever you want to believe. Plus, not feeling Mercedes’ new boyfriend either.

Comment by Maverick – December 2, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sitting at my computer smiling like an idiot after watching this clip! Samcedes is back on!!!! Shane needs to gtfo

Comment by Emma – December 2, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samcedes not. I want Sam and Quinn together again.

Comment by Luh – December 2, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never cared about Sam and Mercedes’ relationship either way, but I am quickly becoming annoyed with it. It’s been all the media has focused on since it was announced that Chord was coming back, and I’m sick of having it shoved down my throat. I care way more about Sam as a character and I’d much rather he have a better story this season than trying to win over Mercedes. This clip really does nothing for me, except re-affirm that Sam is amazing and they never should have even thought about getting rid of him. I REALLY hope the writers’ boredom strikes soon and they move on from this to something more interesting.

Comment by Kayla – December 2, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree.

Comment by Thomas – December 2, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. I’m starting to think Sam might be the most genuine and sweet of all the male kids.

Comment by Sarah – December 2, 2011 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • things that you go out of your way to do, ie read articles, comment on postings, watch videos, are not evidence of something being “shoved down your throat.” I think a whole lot of people really misunderstand what that means. It means being forced to partake in something, not simply being briefly confronted by a thing you find distasteful or mildly annoying.

Comment by Nancy – December 4, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As opposed to all the other two main couples on the show being shoved down viewers throats? ESPECIALLY Klaine.

Comment by Noelle – December 6, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow I can’t stop smiling that was super cute!! I didn’t expect they would have that much chemsitry in one go!! And finally its a glee couple we can root for, we haven’t had those for ages!! Quinn and Sam was boring as hell, too perfect and peachy clean, yuck!!

Comment by Laura W – December 2, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Quinn and Sam were painful to watch. I was so bored with them, I usually fast-forwarded through all their scenes.

Comment by K – December 2, 2011 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too. Like watching a sink drain. Besides, Quinn lied to and hurt him terribly for her selfish whims. Quinn is crazy and needs to be independent for now do some soul searching and find inner peace. Sam doesn’t need anything to do with her problems.

Comment by bytheseatofmypants – December 3, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget that Quinn also CHEATED on Sam (with Finn). Why some still want these together is beyond me.

Comment by Liesbeth – December 3, 2011 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, this ought to be very interesting! Super Stoaked!

Comment by Katie – December 2, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wasn’t interested in samcedes before this clip, still not interested in it after. why are they wasting screen time with this? in mercedes’ own words her relationship with sam was “so june” and it definitely should have stayed that way imho

Comment by alexis – December 2, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mercedes bf looks like a 32yr old ogre. I was so disappointed with the casting. They could have done MUCH better.

Comment by Ogre – December 2, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel “Summer Nights” from Grease coming up soon.

Comment by Mark – December 2, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you fir the scoop bit I’m seriously getting pissed that almost every video posted on this site can’t be viewed on the iPhone. I love you ausiello but please do something at this!!!

Comment by iPhone user – December 2, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • me fellow americans, have you signed the petition to ban samcedes? god bless.

Comment by ban samcedes – December 2, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is this the one posted on the White House’s site? Uh…don’t you think the president has a little more to worry about than a fictional couple? As a registered voter, I’d prefer that he concentrate on, oh…I don’t know…the job market, our economy, healthcare, etc. But you kids have fun.

Comment by LOL, really? – December 2, 2011 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rolling out of my chair. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by bytheseatofmypants – December 3, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welp, guess that’s it then. I was planning to start watching again, but won’t bother now. About to free up an hour a week on my DVR for something else.

Comment by courtney – December 2, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Granted I had a really low bar for Samcedes, but the clip wasn’t bad. For once Sam didn’t seem completely uninteresting.

Comment by Tee – December 2, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samcedes sucks .. please don’t try to shove it down our throats ..

Comment by Stefhanny – December 2, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Chord Overstreet went away and came back as a sexy badass? I like.

Comment by Peter – December 2, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god they are so darn cute! can’t wait to see how this plays out!

Comment by Summer – December 2, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSS! I’ve been waiting for this since last year’s prom episode. they were so cute and mercedes needs a guy who isn’t such the cliche football bruiser boyfriend. can’t wait to see this play out.

Comment by Mehvash – December 2, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • moments like that is y i love glee. they make a cute couple, and i love the diversity that this show brings to life.

Comment by keys – December 2, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously hate that they don’t know what to do with Mercedes, her character has been utterly obnoxious and that bf of hers is horrid. A “sort of cute” moment doesn’t win me over. I’m not very hopeful when it comes to this storyline, the writing has been, at times, downright bad.

Comment by LikeAmberHateMercedes – December 2, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam and Mercedes for ever

Comment by Lea – December 2, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samcedes ftw!!!

Comment by Kali – December 2, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg!!! Totally loving samcedes!!! I want them together now!!!!

Comment by CC – December 2, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That clip was just too cute.. Sam and mercedes better become a couple. So much chemistry there.

Comment by Abigail – December 2, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam-Mercedes will be a very good interracial romance if it handled properly. I hope the writers are up for this because Glee writers are not exactly brilliant.

Comment by jenna – December 2, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What was that??! Wow, so apparently still has all the
    substance and contrivance of something scribbled on the back of a dirty diner napkin moments away from a script deadline.

This is painfully awkward and contrived, not cute. WHY would Sam be so determined to get back into a relationship that came from nothing and was composed of nothing? And especially after how insufferable and obnoxious Mercedes has been all
    season (or all series) and just her attitude towards anyone not herself in general. Samcedes, in the shard of canon
    there’s been (and in fandom) has only ever been about Mercedes (much like Mercedes in general, at least where a boy is involved)

Sam deserves much better than this. Sam deserves someone who
    actually gives a crap about him instead of “so last June”. Sam deserves someone who shows him the same kindness and respect he shows others. Mercedes is and never was that person.

Too bad the one person who *is* apparently is no longer an option for Sam…

Comment by Really? – December 2, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach.

Comment by Thomas – December 2, 2011 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach (2). Worst mistake ever of the writers.

Comment by Canoe – December 3, 2011 02:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • P3 and why is he so skinny–did you see his neck?

Comment by Mark – December 4, 2011 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? = EPIC FAIL!

I would love to know which one of Sam’s previous ‘Relationships’ and/or who you think would be better than Mercedes to be an option for him?

Did you watch the last season? It’s pretty clear when Sam and Mercedes could have started developing feelings for one another(I’ll just throw the Prom episode out there and hope you rethink your previous post a little).

And, btw – this clip is made of pure AWESOMENESS =D

Comment by Neece – December 3, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • uhm , alot of people actually watch this show and he’s actually very talented . idontknow why you decided to post something if you dont even watch or like the show . stop being a hater and how about stfu and get off the website or whatever .

Comment by ashanti – December 4, 2011 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone really watch this show any more?

I hate anyone with the name “Chord”, especially this untalented jackass.

Comment by Miffy – December 2, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WELL , HE’S HERE TO STAY, AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION, MORE THAN 7 MILLIONS PEOPLE TUNE IN TO WATCH “THAT SHOW” EVERY TUESDAY … :D
      OH AND HELL YEAH HE’S TALENTED -.-

Comment by CHORDLOVER – December 4, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I prefer “”SAM AND QUIN”, and “PUCK with Sugar Motta” hahaha.

Comment by SUJU – December 2, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Quinn is crazy and Sugar is like nobody in the show.

Comment by Adriana – December 4, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post