The X Factor Top 7 Results Recap: Simon, Are You OK? Are You OK, Simon?

“Do not move! Do not move!” commanded the world’s most high-profile automaton, Steve Jones, heading into another leave-us-all-in-suspense commercial break on this week’s X Factor results show. (Dude, if we’ve already endured a 15-minute recap of the previous night’s performance telecast and the umpteenth overbearing use of “Carmina Burana” to signal This Is An Important Show, we’re not about to go flipping the flipping channel.)

Anyhow, in case you’re unfamiliar with how these double-eliminations go: The act with the lowest number of viewer votes faces immediate elimination; the second- and third-lowest vote-getters get forced into a sing-off in front of Dapper, Useless, Unhinged, and Chest-Baring.

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, Steve — who, he’d like you to know, happens to own a copy of the deubt album from this week’s guest performer Tinie Tempah, which makes him totally HUMAN — the acts who received enough votes to go straight through to next week’s Top 5 performance telecast were:

* Chris Rene
* Melanie Amaro
* Rachel Crow (?¡SRSLY!?)
* Josh Krajcik

Wait! Let’s break for a brutally lit set from Tiny Tempah! Seriously, does the live audience benefit from the pulsating assault of strobes and neon and kliegs? Because TV viewers do not. Or at least this Oldie McOlderson doesn’t. But there’s no time for you to recover from your Tempah-induced siezure. Steve is reading the results…

Eliminated immédiatement: Astro

“GET THE HUGS OUT OF THE WAY,” our irritable host huffed as he tried to get a quote from Astro and rush him off stage. (Never let charm or good humor get in the way of finishing on time! That’s the spirit!)

“The only reason I’m mad is I don’t get to see my girl that lives in Cali,” said Astro. Astro is dating? Ewww, too young. I’m sure Molly is a kindly fiftysomething makeup artist.

And with that, we came to the “save me!” performances. Here’s my breakdown — in ten words or less — on Drew “NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THIS POSITION IN THE FIRST PLACE” Ryniewicz vs. Marcus “Nice Guy, Not Really the Best Investment Opportunity for a Record Label with a Spare $5 Million” Canty.

Drew Ryniewicz: Roxette’s “Listen to Your Heart”
Powerful despite of clearly percolating tears. Shoulda been “Toxic” though.

Marcus Canty: Gladys Knight and the Pips “Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)”
Hot wreck of a vocal. Broken spirit = broken voice?

Judges Votes on Who Should Go Home
L.A. (who lied by saying he doesn’t automatically vote to save his own team members. Yeah. Right.): Drew
Simon (taking full responsibility for Drew’s predicament and begging Paula and Nicole to give her another chance): Marcus
&#^@*Face (either working through some deep and ugly anger issues against Simon or proving she has the kind of abysmal taste you’d expect from the woman who sings “Right There“: Drew
Paula (still lucid enough to #%@^ with Simon): Drew

Eliminated: Drew Ryniewicz

“Jesus loves all of you guys and I haven’t gotten to say that,” said Drew. “And that’s what I’m here for, that’s what I was truly in this competition for, so now I’m saying it.” The megatalented teen then promised she’s got more in store for America, musically speaking, and “it’s a lot more upbeat and it’s a lot more different.” (Don’t forget, every download of a Drew Ryniewicz song is $1.29 you’re not spending on a Nicole Skankyditz record!)

Asked by Steve if he had any words for Drew, a seething Simon said he’d talk to her backstage. And he didn’t have a single word for his fellow judges, or at least not anything he could say on network television. Who can blame him? This has to go down in history as one of the worst decisions ever made by a reality TV judging panel — right up there with Project Runway‘s Gretchen-over-Mondo debacle, in fact.

Anyhow, with the results official, you can stick a fork in it, America: Melanie Amaro is the winner of Season 1 of The X Factor. I don’t see how there can be any other outcome at this point, now that her only real competition has been booted. Oh, and yeah, Josh Krajcik is your runner-up.

That’s it from me. Like Simon, I’m so disgusted I can’t find any more words. You with me, or am I totally off the mark? Sound off below!

Slezak on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. AJ says:

I knew Drew was in trouble the minute she was in the bottom 3 because there was no way the other judges were going to let Simon have 3 acts left standing out of 5. (And yes, Paula and Nicole should have made that less obvious.)

But also: LA, Paula and Nicole all have similar ideas of what they want the performers to do (more emphasis on production, less on actual singing voice) so it’s not surprising they like Marcus even though he doesn’t always hit the notes. Simon should look into bringing a singer-songwriter judge in, if he wants it to be more about singing.

I like Drew…and she’s probably the only X-Factor artist album that I will be buying.

2. PatD says:

Pissing off Simon, the friggin’ OWNER of the show, doesn’t do a whole lot for their job security.

I think it took a lot of guts for Nicole and Paula to vote off Drew.

3. DVD says:

Astro should have stayed one more week and instead sent home Drew and Marcus. Either way Melaine should win the whole show since she is the only singer I can see selling records. Drew should worry about going back to school and her regular life.

4. Perola says:

i just adored the face of shock and absolute hate on steve’s face, is like he was being told that his favorite hero wasn’t real. He could kill the judges right in that moment. He truly loved Drew… That is so creepy oO

5. ohreli says:

What is everyone surprised about?? They couldnt vote off two African-American contestants at once now COULD they!!!!

6. uncmick says:

It really makes no sense to have the mentors be the judges. Somebody didn’t think this thru. The mentors are trying to win (and of course their egos are wrapped up in this) and so it they have an ounce of brains (which may be pushing it for Paula and Nichole) they will ALWAYS vote for their own and vote AGAINST the best of the two if they want to increase the chances for their own talent to win. BASIC human nature. I don’t mind mentors but they should not also be judging.

7. mel says:

Some of the comments have given me quite a chuckle this week.

Did Drew really question Simon regarding her song choices? No. She questioned whether she should be sitting in a chair doing an MJ song. A few weeks ago when LA commented that she needed to do something different, she defiantly informed him that this is “who I am as an artist.”
    For anyone who wants to listen to a CD of 12 dreary songs and fall asleep during a concert, it’s their prerogative to purchase the CD and the tickets…IF she gets a contract, which is highly unlikely. She might get a single out there and then will disappear from the grand scene.
    She made it clear that this is who she is and this is what you are going to get from her. And while she seems to have a certain number who love her, especially on this blog, the general public didn’t.

8. Jaime says:

@Michael Slezak, I don’t blame you for losing hope in the American Version of the X Factor, and I HATE to be that guy but you have to check out the British version because, in my mind, its exactly what the American version needs to be. All the overproduction is there but its dialed back so it actually seems appropriate. I think you can watch it on tvlinks.com but it should be available on the internet. Could be something to do over the winter hiatus before Idol starts up again.

9. roxannamills says:

Michael, your column is spot-on, and funny at that.
    Drew’s voice is poetry in motion, she slayed , ” Billie Jean” something I never thought was possible. But after watching Nicole, Paula and L.A. blather on about Marcus over Drew, I cancelled the show off my DVR, still I hope Josh wins. Voices like Josh’s & Drew’s are true originals , their voices are emotion in motion, they stir the soul and they don’t need all the staging hyperbole, unless it truly adds something to their vocal landscape. I believe Simon’s instincts were right to place Drew in a chair, and avoid the unnecessary flash. In her case less is more. Singers like Melanie have an incredible voice and I’m sure she’ll have the career she deserves, but she sounds like a lot of other great voices out in the market today, and that may be the point, but I find it too predictable, I’d never buy a record. The XFactor is a great launching pad for Americas new mega talent, and I love it for doing that. The music industry needs a major infusion, there are a lot of people like me who are looking for something outside what we’ve been seeing for the past 10 years or so. Hip Hop has a lot to offer (Astro’s earlier comment was as if Hip Hop hadn’t been heard, as if it hasn’t dominated the music landscape for the past 15 years). Like some of America and possibly the world I’m ready for something different. In the end, I believe that Drew & Josh will outlast them all. I’ll be watching Drew’s next moves along with the rest of America.

10. lilah says:

This is a scripted show. The judges know well before the results show who the lowest vote getters are. Then they decide how they want it to play out. Since this show is scripted to be an LA/Simon faceoff, they were never going to leave LA with 1 boy and Simon with all 3 girls. If Drew were the actual lowest (after Astro), Paula would’ve voted for Marcus to go home and then blame the public for sending Drew home. But since Marcus had the least votes, she had to vote to send Drew home. I didn’t realize Simon was that good an actor since this was what was scripted much earlier in the day. This show is scripted in the same way as a sitcom. I feel very sorry for all the contestants who think they’re in an actual competition and their talent counts.

• gertrude says:

Lilah, we cannot say for sure this was what happened. But i have to admit,i was thinking along the same lines.

• x says:

The X-Factor viewer poll did have a lot of questions about how believable the show, judges, etc. were on a scale of 1-5, which was a little interesting….

That said I’m not quite so sure they scripted this bit. I think for this show, maybenot AI, that is a bit too far and I think has looked genuinely nervous for Drew.

But who konws.

11. Megan says:

Whatever, Michael. Everyone I know was sick of Drew and glad she was gone. Same act all the time, and her voice is not very strong or very versatile. The only thing she had going for her was the uniqueness to it, but when used to sing a dirge every week, that didn’t leave much for the audience to get excited about.

I do blame Simon for the outcome – Billie Jean was just wrong on every level for her to sing (does he even KNOW what the song is about?!?)

Marcus, otoh, hardly gave the best vocal, but when it came down to the pressure of the competition, he held his own and gave it 110% while Drew crumbled like a cookie. The music industry would eat her alive. Give it another 8-10 years, kid. And come back when you’re ready for a business that is way more brutal than a freaking tv show.

Both her and Astro being eliminated indicate part of what’s wrong with having such a low age limit on these shows. No matter how high the talent level, they often can’t handle it emotionally.

12. Dani says:

Annnnnddd, now I’ll stop watching the X-Factor.
    That was just ridiculous.

13. nicole protects josh says:

Seems like none of you have watched Survivor or played a sport.

It’s completely normal and strategic to eliminate the player who is the greatest threat!

LA – throws out Drew to save Marcus. plus, he already lost Astro.

Nicole – Marcus has bottomed out 2 weeks in a row now, so he doesn’t have peeps (if he did, he’d have gotten that second-week bounce from his peeps frantically protecting from another trip to the bottom). That means Marcus is a dead man walking. If next week it’s Josh v Marcus, Josh wins.
    Drew OTOH is bottoming out for the first time. Who knows if she’ll get a 2nd week bounce or not? Thus if next week it’s Josh v Drew, who knows if Josh would win that one or not?

Nicole made the RIGHT DECISION in order to PROTECT JOSH!!!
    It’s so simple. Why is she labeled a bitch etc for protecting her mentee?

Paula – this one’s not as clearcut. I’m thinking that Paula, out of a sense of fairness, ensured that LA & Simon each lost 1 act, since they each started the week with all 3 of their acts. Since LA already lost Astro, it seems fair that Simon should also lose an act, so no matter which of Simon’s acts was up against Marcus, she would have saved Marcus.

The real winner here is Simon. He’s got all of you so turned against the other judges that he comes out smelling like a rose. When in fact, LA and Nicole both made the obvious decisions, and even Paula’s decision made sense for balance of the show.

• Scott says:

Silly me. I thought the purpose of the competition was to find the next great talent, and all along it was to balance the groups.

• ed says:

this all sounds good, but unless your a real good psychic or you happen to work behind the scenes at the show in the production department I doubt if all of what you say is true ,even though it makes a lot of sense. We all get sucked into believing it’s really happening. Simon definitely doesn’t seem like the type too not be in the know. still a lot of what you’re saying here could just be coming out of your own crystal ball. no offense.

• yeah says:

yeah but the show hasn’t really been pegged that way to the audience or to the contestants, so i don’t think that flies

14. scotty says:

Cheryl Cole wouldn’t have voted off Drew, if Simon would have kept her he’d still have Drew.

15. Scott says:

i have to put in my bit here for what it’s worth.
    1. The public should’ve voted for Drew(provided they liked her). Apparently enough people did not vote for her,hence she landed in the bottom 3
    2. Assuming that Nicole or Paula decided to vote off Marcus and the decision went into a deadlock, was there a guarantee that Marcus was the one with the lower votes?
    3. If Drew had been voted out by the viewers would you guys still be satisfied with the elimination? I highly doubt so,but that’s just my opinion.
    Who knows what goes on with the judges. For all we know they might be following a script and they might just be pawns at the hands of the show’s producers. Again im not saying it is a fact, but it’s a possibility.
    Bottom line is, people should have voted for Drew; if they cared to do so she wouldn’t have left.End of Story.

16. GJ says:

The judges made the right decision – just that no one saw it coming because of Drew’s strong fan base. My hunch is that this same base got overconfident and the rest is history.

Drew seems to show more potential but when you’re looking at results, she appears pretty one-dimensional. Billie Jean, is completely the wrong choice of song, mood, lyric and tempo wise for her and if she were a better artist, she could’ve easily said no.

Marcus Canty indeed showed more heart in his performance – the pitch problems resulting from a heartfelt rendition of the song. I’ll take that anytime over something mechanical such as Drew’s “Listen to your Heart” which came off predictable as she’s been doing the same thing over and over again. Yes, it maybe style but you can’t compare it with Adele’s style who’s repertoire ranges from the simple piano & voice arrangement of “Someone Like You” to the motown-ish “Rumor has it”. This is something she needs to further work on.

If it’s any comfort to Simon, her fans would most likely divide equally to Melanie Amaro and Rachel Crow. From the remaining roster, the most deserving to get the win for now is Chris Rene.

17. SpearHead says:

Guess who made the right decision………..summary….keeping Drew in the competition was like milking a dead cow…..

18. Lillibet says:

Whether Nicole and Paula voted against Drew to spite Simon is something no one can say for sure, since we can’t read minds (rolling eyes can mean a lot of things). :-)

What we can know for sure is that Drew was in the bottom two because of audience votes. We also know that the judges had been begging Simon and Drew to do something even a little more uptempo for weeks. It’s clear that Simon didn’t listen and convinced Drew that they were wrong. We all heard him take the blame for Drew being in the bottom two. He begged for another chance. But she didn’t even try something uptempo when she sang for her life!

Drew’s elimination was the result of Simon’s arrogance. She never would have ended up in the bottom two if he had taken the advice of the other judges, and we wouldn’t be blaming spiteful judges. It’s too bad he learned a lesson too late for Drew.

19. darcy' evil twin says:

Well, for all of those people that thought X Factor would be better than American Idol…fail! This has been painful.

• ana_muti says:

I don’t agree–last season of Idol I watched in its entirety it was Bowersox vs. What’s His Name. What’s His Name won. THAT was pretty dang painful to me! And no, I won’t be watching Idol again. No interest in country music.

• Tim says:

I think America is pretty tired of that as well. That’s why you didn’t see any country artists make it very far in XF, and probably the same will happen in AI next season (if they’re smart).

• Shindig says:

That worries me, because the country kiddies are all over the place still. And I’ve seen a lot of people obsessed with them here. And I live in southern NY, lol. Go figure.

• yeah says:

In southern NY?? You mean western southern NY? There isn’t even a single country music station on FM that reaches anywhere near southern NY at the NYC end of the state.

20. Trisha says:

Does anyone care that Astro got voted off? I think he is so talented. He has more of a chance of being successful and having a long career than the other contestants. Unfortunately, having a great voice is not enough to guarantee success in the music industry. Look at Britney Spears, so successful but can’t sing at all!

• yeah says:

although she’s not actually as bad as everyone says and I saw some show where they had a Britney Spears week and everyone massacred all of her songs, it might not be quite as instantly easy as everyone thinks to sing her songs in her style.

21. RM says:

Relative to the other contestants, Drew did an above average performance of Billie Jean. The viewers just couldn’t get past a 15 year old girl singing “Billie Jean is not my lover…” She was set up to fail this week with that song. Vocally, Drew was definitely not the sixth or seventh worst singer of the bunch. Simon and the producers knew going into the results show who was to get the boot. These sing for your lives things are so hokey. The show is really positioning Chris Rene to become the next Eminem.

22. Kryzz says:

Cheryl Cole would have saved Drew…

• Elysia says:

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU HERE, also i agree that the show in America is so over the top and dramatic, it’s just exhausting to watch, thank god for the UK version

23. Reason says:

I sure hope that when everyone is done crying in their beer/wine/koolaid/drink of choice that Astro will be given props for his outstanding attitude exiting the show.

It seems like everyone is out for blood on this board. First it was Astro, now it’s Nicole, Paula and Marcus. I think the majority of the peeps whining on this board need to check their own attitudes.

24. Loni says:

A complete and utter travesty! Poor Drew! Oh those judges! How vindictive and evil can they possibly be?!

25. Deb says:

Finally watched last week’s shows. Sad Drew left, the judges are idiots, but…….what about Melanie! She was electrifying! She has improved so much. She has a great voice like Pia Toscano, but feels her songs so much more. SHE DESERVES TO WIN!

26. Jason says:

Ten bucks says the white guy with a guitar, Josh, will win. America shows time and time again it has no tastes in talent contests.

27. Lenny Leon says:

Drew was in the bottom because she didn’t get the votes.Get over it
    Would you buy/download her music? Go to her concert? Leroy will sell the most music and tickets

28. Alex says:

WORST DECISION EVER. Before I thought it was “cute” how the judges would play-fight and not agree, but when they eff up this bad, just to what… was it to spite Simon? I don’t know. But it was a BIG FAIL. This show is no longer worth watching. And I hope x-factor hires some lacky to simply see the feedback on sites like this each week, and I hope it get’s back to those toss-pops how stupid their decision was. Simon – a new set of judges for next season please.

29. ejones says:

The other judges warned Simon time after time that Drew needed to show some versatility, he chose to ignore them time after time, he thought he knew better. When he realised he didn’t know better he came up with a big speech blaming himself rather than the singer but too late. If it had been one warning then I’m sure they would have kept Drew in but the warning after warning went unheeded, he even chose age unappropriate songs for his kids Rachel and Drew. The kids have done themselves absolutely no good by entering a big TV reality competition at such a young age. The greatest TV reality contestant of recent years, Haley Reinhart, was rejected by the AI judges at 18 and it probably worked for her having the year to mature and to get additional experience. Mind you, it was probably because Randy felt embarassed that he had rejected her in 2010 that made him such an unreasonable s*** towards her in 2011. As some of her performances were so exceptional even he couldn’t hold the line he had chosen for himself.

30. ana_muti says:

It’s my opinion that 12 is way, way too young for a reality show like X Factor. I don’t believe Cowell is correct that just because a kid can sing that it’s ok to compete against older contestants.
    I thought it was horrible that Brian had his teen-aged angst played out in front of millions of people who won’t forget or forgive his hubris, because they don’t know him. While I enjoy some alternative art forms and respect the talent for poetry and quick thinking that Astro exhibited, and in general am ok with hip-hop and rap, I don’t think it’s singing . I just thought it sad that when he’s a full grown man and has come into his own, he’ll have people bringing this youthful mistake up.
    I hope Cowell rethinks the decision to lower the age to 12, because I think he’s made a mistake doing so. It’s obvious that he’s neither a parent or knows much about kids that age–just entering puberty. Otherwise he’d never have made it “12” to begin with.

31. Carolyn says:

Regarding Simon mentoring Drew or Rachel, anyone remember the comment he said to Mishavonna Henson when she sang Drops of Jupiter? (“You’re very serious. How old are you? 18? See you act like a 50 year old. I wish you had been a little younger, a little more fun.”) Watch the You tube recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6gFYvwfcXg. It seems to me that Drew and especially Rachel often sing “older” songs than their age, like Rachel singing Satisfaction, for example, and Drew always showing her “serious” side.