The X Factor Top 7 Results Recap: Simon, Are You OK? Are You OK, Simon?

“Do not move! Do not move!” commanded the world’s most high-profile automaton, Steve Jones, heading into another leave-us-all-in-suspense commercial break on this week’s X Factor results show. (Dude, if we’ve already endured a 15-minute recap of the previous night’s performance telecast and the umpteenth overbearing use of “Carmina Burana” to signal This Is An Important Show, we’re not about to go flipping the flipping channel.)

Anyhow, in case you’re unfamiliar with how these double-eliminations go: The act with the lowest number of viewer votes faces immediate elimination; the second- and third-lowest vote-getters get forced into a sing-off in front of Dapper, Useless, Unhinged, and Chest-Baring.

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, Steve — who, he’d like you to know, happens to own a copy of the deubt album from this week’s guest performer Tinie Tempah, which makes him totally HUMAN – the acts who received enough votes to go straight through to next week’s Top 5 performance telecast were:

* Chris Rene
* Melanie Amaro
* Rachel Crow (?¡SRSLY!?)
* Josh Krajcik

Wait! Let’s break for a brutally lit set from Tiny Tempah! Seriously, does the live audience benefit from the pulsating assault of strobes and neon and kliegs? Because TV viewers do not. Or at least this Oldie McOlderson doesn’t. But there’s no time for you to recover from your Tempah-induced siezure. Steve is reading the results…

Eliminated immédiatement: Astro

“GET THE HUGS OUT OF THE WAY,” our irritable host huffed as he tried to get a quote from Astro and rush him off stage. (Never let charm or good humor get in the way of finishing on time! That’s the spirit!)

“The only reason I’m mad is I don’t get to see my girl that lives in Cali,” said Astro. Astro is dating? Ewww, too young. I’m sure Molly is a kindly fiftysomething makeup artist.

And with that, we came to the “save me!” performances. Here’s my breakdown — in ten words or less — on Drew “NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THIS POSITION IN THE FIRST PLACE” Ryniewicz vs. Marcus “Nice Guy, Not Really the Best Investment Opportunity for a Record Label with a Spare $5 Million” Canty.

Drew Ryniewicz: Roxette’s “Listen to Your Heart”
Powerful despite of clearly percolating tears. Shoulda been “Toxic” though.

Marcus Canty: Gladys Knight and the Pips “Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)”
Hot wreck of a vocal. Broken spirit = broken voice?

Judges Votes on Who Should Go Home
L.A. (who lied by saying he doesn’t automatically vote to save his own team members. Yeah. Right.): Drew
Simon (taking full responsibility for Drew’s predicament and begging Paula and Nicole to give her another chance): Marcus
&#^@*Face (either working through some deep and ugly anger issues against Simon or proving she has the kind of abysmal taste you’d expect from the woman who sings “Right There“: Drew
Paula (still lucid enough to #%@^ with Simon): Drew

Eliminated: Drew Ryniewicz

“Jesus loves all of you guys and I haven’t gotten to say that,” said Drew. “And that’s what I’m here for, that’s what I was truly in this competition for, so now I’m saying it.” The megatalented teen then promised she’s got more in store for America, musically speaking, and “it’s a lot more upbeat and it’s a lot more different.” (Don’t forget, every download of a Drew Ryniewicz song is $1.29 you’re not spending on a Nicole Skankyditz record!)

Asked by Steve if he had any words for Drew, a seething Simon said he’d talk to her backstage. And he didn’t have a single word for his fellow judges, or at least not anything he could say on network television. Who can blame him? This has to go down in history as one of the worst decisions ever made by a reality TV judging panel — right up there with Project Runway‘s Gretchen-over-Mondo debacle, in fact.

Anyhow, with the results official, you can stick a fork in it, America: Melanie Amaro is the winner of Season 1 of The X Factor. I don’t see how there can be any other outcome at this point, now that her only real competition has been booted. Oh, and yeah, Josh Krajcik is your runner-up.

That’s it from me. Like Simon, I’m so disgusted I can’t find any more words. You with me, or am I totally off the mark? Sound off below!

Slezak on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Comments (640)

• People should’ve voted if they wanted to keep Drew, period. They didn’t, so now she’s gone. Travesty? It’s a competition & she didn’t get the votes.

Comment by VozikJenn – December 1, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. We should have voted more if we wanted her. But everyone’s pissed off at the judges. Cause they should have kept her. If it had gone to deadlock, she probably would have won.

Comment by Emily – December 1, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually we don’t know how the people voted. Cause it was the judges that sent her home, remember?

Comment by Elaine – December 1, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The judges couldn’t have sent her home if she hadn’t been fifth or sixth out of seven. That’s a lot of contestants who managed to get more votes than she did. We don’t know exactly how the people voted, but we still know Drew was a long way from the head of the pack.

Comment by um – December 2, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In part, and maybe some of her supporters though she’d still be easily safe for another week or two so some on that but in the end no way she should be home tonight regardless.
      SHe probably would’ve come soaring back next week better than ever. A shame. Anyway one person who won’t be back next week either is me haha.

Comment by yeah – December 1, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is it safe to say this result wouldn’t have happened if they had done all the double eliminations to start off, instead of arbitrarily waiting until top 9 to start getting rid of people two at a time?

Comment by Jacob Dolan – December 1, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disgusted with this show. Nicole and Paula are both morons. These talentless fools picked Someone who can’t sing voted in the bottom two weeks in a row. If nothing else they should of had a deadlock and the audience decided. I notice Nicole never tried to go over to Drew and fake Paula tries to console her. Simon should can both their as..s next year. I like to know who is voting for Rachel.
    They blamed Drew for not changing it up, however it is as Simon said his fault. I hope they are proud of themselves. Jerks.

Comment by Mary – December 1, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we talk about the fact that Chris Rene is still in this competition despite never, ever, ever being good?

Comment by katherine – December 1, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!!!

Comment by Kare – December 1, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN!

Comment by Mark – December 1, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t get it either.

Comment by Yo – December 1, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Who is voting for him? He’s awful! How can they listen to him and say he does well. He was seriously terrible last night.

Look, Nicole clearly hates Simon. I’m pretty convinced that’s not an act. I’m not sure Paula knows where she is, let alone who is the better singer. I’m not a huge Drew fan, but it’s painfully obvious she’s a better singer than Marcus.

The true travesty is Chris Rene never being in the bottom. I wish there was a way to vote AGAINST people.

Comment by Kristen – December 1, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like I’ve said in other replies here, Chris voting comes from a pity party and nothing else.

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t be so sure about that. Chris seems like a heckava nice fella, but he’s as dumb as a post, and alot of people relate to that, sad to say. Not just the USA either – did you sit through the “performance” of Tinie Tempah? Stupidity personified. And boy does it sell by the millions.

Comment by Billy – December 2, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not think Drew was a top performer. Drew has a unique voice but it felt the same every week.
    As far as the decision- I believe the judges made the right decision based on the sing off.

Comment by Kare – December 1, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Were you listening to the same show. Marcus vocals were not good. Let’s face it
      The girls were sticking it to Simon or they are jealous of talent which neither one has.

Comment by Mary – December 1, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yowza. Aaaand..I’m having so much more fun reading these than actually watching the show.

Comment by Paloma Pigeon – December 1, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, X Factor’s Pia (in a way), apparently. Except that many, me included, thought that judges being a part of the elimination process would have prevented such a thing. Obviously not. I think after all the rage experienced last season with J.lo&co and their antics, I’m almost numb and immune. Almost.

Please let the rumors about Nicole being booted be true. While I’m not surprised she used Drew as some sort of personal thing against Simon, I’m disappointed at Paula. I thought she at least had more brains than Nicole. And all the “emotion” jabber had me gagging. Whatever happened to good ol’ fashioned skill and talent?

On the other hand of all this, I can’t be too terribly mad or upset at a 14 (15?) year old girl going home. Still hating how young contestants are. She would have blown this or another competition out of the water if she had only waited a few years. Ah well. Anywho, X factor just got less interesting. Wake me up when Josh or Melanie are on or when Chris Rene goes back to doing his own stuff.

Comment by lindsayjo87 – December 1, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is BS! I can’t believe that this just happened. I am so pissed off and I cried along with Drew. This is unbelievable. Nicole…you only did it because you were pissed at Simon. THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS IT. At least the US. I hope that you never judge another show again. EVER. Cause you sucked on The Sing Off and you’re even worse here. You choose people for talent…not personal vendettas. And you also probably did it because you wanted Josh to win. And he might not have had a chance with Drew. Paula…I know you wanted more dancing. But why didn’t you let AMERICA decide in a DEADLOCK. Come on!! Are you serious? Simon…I get how you’re feeling. And Astro’s off too. I’m going to stop watching. I love Chris Renee too but he obviously doesn’t have a chance to win so…I’m done. Along with a million other people. All of Drew’s fans and Astro’s fans are pissed. And we should all just stop watching. That was just ridiculous.

Comment by Emily – December 1, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Drew had the best performance of the night. It gave me chills all the way through. She is the only one I voted for, 30 times wasn’t enough. Really disappointed.

Comment by allen – December 1, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes. I voted for her 30 times too. i should have voted more. really sad.

Comment by emmarie – December 1, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How in the world is Chris Rene and Marcus still in this contest? How many times have we seen Marcus in the bottom two?

Simon was stung hard tonight by playing it far too safe with Drew. While I am at it, he didn’t do ANY favors to Rachel Crow this week. Before the show I guessed that Earth Song would have been sung BUT I predicted that Rachel would get it. I do believe that Melanie is going to win this with your runner up being Josh.

I felt bad for Drew tonight. Clearly Marcus should have been sent packing and given Drew one more chance not to bore us to death with the same monotone songs. This girl can sing and I hope we see more of her in the future.

I give her great credit at the end giving a shout out to Jesus. Perhaps is she had said she was from Jamaica and finally was able to be herself, she may still be in the competition.

Comment by Mark – December 1, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicole and Paula are absurd. Even if Paula did like Marcus, have the common sense to put in a deadlock and let the public decide. That other schmo was bottom two last week, clearly Paula and Nicole are the only two that are moved by him. On the plus side, does this mean Drew’s first single will be released sooner?

Comment by Tracy – December 1, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show just got a lot less bearable. RIDICULOUS.

I bet Cheryl Cole would have picked Drew, right?

Comment by Brandy – December 1, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I guess Simon is still mad at Fox for having to dump Cheryl. While I believe that Nicole has done a pretty good job, Cheryl would have been the better choice!

Comment by Mark – December 1, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marcus stays, and Drew goes? I’m done.

Marcus is a fine singer, but his voice is hardly unique, he’s often flat, and he murders his vocals with runs. How the judges can’t hear this week after week is beyond me.

Drew has created a memorable and unique vocal every week. She’s the only singer on the show that I’d listen to, or buy the album of after the show is over. I think Josh is awesome to, but he’s not unique. Drew was the best on the show.

I’ll make a prediction… 5 years from now Drew will be a far more successful artist than anyone else on the show.

The women judges just don’t have the skills.

Comment by Jake – December 1, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you people even watch the show? Marcus wasn’t in the bottom 2 last week. He was really only in the bottom 3 because they did the deadlock and LeRoy had the lowest votes and before that LR had lower than LeRoy. We don’t know if Marcus was even in the Bottom 2 this week only that he was in the bottom 3….

Comment by me – December 1, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry..but..I didn’t get all the love for Drew. Nice girl, but, her voice bordered on being annoying and I always thought she was out of tune. Very overrated.

Comment by Dan – December 1, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Overrated? Maybe your ears are. I can accept her songs were boring, but her vocals were good.

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frak. I’m calling it now: Rachel will win this whole darn thing. That way, I can say that this whole season was a complete joke and pretend it never happened.

Comment by em – December 1, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chris or Marcus winning would be even more of a joke.

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never got the Drew love thing….yes, she as talent but I have found her incredibly boring. And after a while, when you don’t enjoy someone’s performances, it just becomes grating.

And it was “America” who put her in the bottom three! Whether this was to get at Simon or not, she didn’t get enough votes from the voting public.

It will come down to Josh and Melanie….the two who have the most talent and have the best shot at handing a career in the recording industry!

Comment by mel – December 1, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I. Am. So. Pissed. Drew was FANTASTIC LAST NIGHT. This is race base judging..No wonder Pepsi is a sponsor….in recent years all is race….I’m done with the show.

Comment by Richard – December 1, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh totally stunk last night and I think it’s a bunch of BS that he wasn’t even in the B3. Seriously, people?!

The only person remotely interesting in this competition was Astro. And what do all of you haters have to say about his sportsmanship tonight!

Both of the final performances were awesome tonight. I’ve never heard Drew sound better. And Marcus-sorry Slezak-but his vocal was not a hot mess and you know better! I get that you’re upset about Drew-we all are-but that doesn’t take away from Marcus’ performance. He sang his a– off and quite well, I’ll add. Plus, he showed variety, and Drew was limited in that department-albeit by Simon, but still limited.

It’s a done deal that Melanie, Chris and Josh will make it to the finale. I’ll be cheering on Chris, but you are right about Melanie winning.

Comment by karenb – December 1, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m an Astro hater and I don’t hang on to his immaturity some weeks back. I’m more annoyed by his repetitive act (when he’s up, people pretty much know what to expect) and his slight arrogance about producing music since he was 10 (really?).

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The 2 most original and unique talents of the show went home tonight. Disappointed doesn’t even cover how I’m feeling right now.

P.S. Who else gave the finger to Steve-bot as he said good night after harassing Drew and Simon for the last 5 minutes??

Comment by Princess Adora – December 1, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! I think the America voted out two of the most RELEVANT acts it had. These kids, in my opinion were the only ones with the chops to earn those 5 million. What angers me is that people like Rachel Crow and Chris Rene (who were awful last night and truly deserved to be in the bottom) scraped through.

Comment by Max – December 2, 2011 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think 2 of the bottom 3 was right. Chris Rene should of been #3 not #Astro. but its a popularity contest not a talent contest. Drew right choice, she never ventured out. And if Melanie is not careful she could find herself down there next week. She’s predictable like Drew.

Comment by Sportsfanatic – December 1, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See, this is what’s wrong with the elimination process. Instead of sticking to what X-Factor is (and just so we’re clear, it’s a singing show), everyone’s more interested in the overproduced stuff and not the actual singing. Melanie getting booted off would be even more of a travesty, as she alone has the vocal prowess worthy of 5 million dollars (Josh comes a close second).

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • youre the fool. marcus cant sing you racist punk.

Comment by will – December 1, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Josh Krajnik. Josh has this in the bag:)

Comment by Keena – December 1, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, it just bothers me that Melony was voted off and came back. Anyone remember Catlin? Better than anyone on this show. This show was a joke from the beginning…

Comment by brittney – December 1, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huh? She can’t hold Melanies gym socks. But I will say that she would’ve at least been a better pick than Simone. That was a real stupid move from Simon.

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You hit the mark with a freakin’ semi truck!

Comment by Cfmcpherson – December 1, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one in the world that doesn’t think Nicole is that awful of a judge? She’s 1000x better than LA. Honestly. Her critiques are usually more accurate than his, and less all-around positive than Paula’s. She says some dumb “heart” stuff, but a lot of these judges pull that stuff out of their asses. To be frank, Marcus was better tonight. And I find Marcus utterly boring, and like Drew. That’s why Paula voted Drew. Because for the first time it was based on the actual performance. I would have voted Marcus still, lol. Drew, Melanie and Astro were this show’s Pia, imo.

Comment by Shindig – December 1, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you honestly didn’t have ears hurting when marcus hit all those horrible off pitch notes during much of the whole last part? It wasn’t just off key, it was a brutal, painful sort of off key. It literally made me cringe. Simply being off key doesn’t necessarily have to do that. But wayyyy off key on the wrong types of notes is nasty.

Comment by yeah – December 1, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, of course I did! But his early parts were more composed. Drew was shaky throughout. They both were bad. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer Drew. But that was probably Marcus’ strongest performance in weeks; his others were downright awful.

Comment by Shindig – December 1, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yeah he had a composed start, but the end was so much more brutal than little shakes throughout by Drew IMO plus he has had that happen sooo many weeks and she hasn’t and he has been in bottom groups before and I don’t see him being able to do a single new thing or bringing anything more than he has so what is the point of saving him? Drew still had a lot more to do. LA surely feared her and voted out of fear and the difficulty of crushing your own singer.

Comment by yeah – December 1, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with you! And I actually love Nicole as a judge.

Comment by Miranda – December 1, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with you and actually Nicole is being a smart mentor….would you want Josh against Drew or Marcus. The judges don’t turn off their mentoring when they vote and so not getting all the Nicole ‘hate’. Paula….now that is a different story as she no longer is a mentor and should have voted Marcus, just so the bottom two would be gone and if Drew then we would have know that she didn’t get the votes….now we will wonder who really was in the bottom 2, Drew or Marcus.

Comment by zinfi – December 2, 2011 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite part of the show tonight were Stevetron’s surrender at the end and when he threw his cue cards. The little things, you know?

Comment by Shindig – December 1, 2011 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only person on the show more out of tune than Marcus, was Chris.. except last night. Chris gave is best performance.

I find Marcus difficult to listen to. Whiny, overdone runs, voice cracking on the high notes, and often out of tune.

Astro? The words he wrote were impressive, but his wrapping vocals had no dynamics at all. Take a way the unique words, and every performance he gave was exactly the same as the last.

Drew? I think the judges have brainwashed some of the audience into buying into the whole repetitive idea. Every song she sang was unique and her own. The only similarity was tempo. I think her voice is just so memorable and unique, that people mistake the voice itself for the song. Oh look! There she is singing with that same old heavenly voice… when is she going to belt out an upbeat tempo like “Hells Bells” or something? Give me a break.

Comment by Jake – December 1, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I do agree. Astro is magic with his words skills and he can pull off a rap but he has no dynamics and tone at all. Even if you don’t liek rap, and to be honest I’m not crazy about, you have to give say Eminem props for dynamics and giving hard edges to words when needed and Astro just has a very flat same sort of delivery. All the great rappers have a lot more to that side of things. Maybe when he is a few years older he will develop that. If not he might no go as far as some think. If he does he should be fine. But it might be asking a lot to think he was magically get that factor to his performances.

Comment by yeah – December 1, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Eminem is great in that he at least has variation in his rap routines. Astro is just plain monotonous. Uninteresting at all.

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree about the repetitiveness of Drew part. I listen to many similar artists, and she was repetitive to me. Her performance last night stood out, but I can remember 3 performances where the main spectacle was her lilt, and two where the tempo just did not change and felt like a dirge. And I liked her!

Comment by Shindig – December 1, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need all new judges. Someone who’s done something and made a real career… Reba, Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, who can really judge music.

Comment by ashleyyy – December 1, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean… The Voice Judges?

Comment by Perola – December 1, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While there was rather a lot of soft pedaling on that show and the 4x elim a week way way rushed etc. at least that show didn’t sicken me with cheap judges tricks like AI has become or Xfactor has now also fallen into.

I think The Voice might be the only one of the three I’ll be able to stand any more. Even though in some ways the rushed and odd ways it runs are the worst of three shows.

Comment by yeah – December 1, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Note to Simon Cowell:
    Have judges and have mentors, but NOT the same people. Having judges be mentors is setting up this mess to happen over and over. Change the format. There’s no shame in admitting you were wrong. It takes a big man to do that.
    (yeah and bring that Cheryl cole back… the short time I saw her she seemed to really know what she was talking aboutt…).

(and cut the noisy audience by 25%, the overpproduction by 50% and the background singers by 75%)

Comment by Elaine – December 1, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with everything you just said. Especially the last sentence. I’ve complained about that on nearly every episode.

Comment by Jake – December 1, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      agree
      agree
      agree
      agree

Comment by crystal fan – December 1, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YESSSSSSS this is what I have been saying all along! Whoever thought that judges should also be mentors AND decide who gets eliminated is a moron.

Comment by Steph – December 1, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So make it Idol 2.0? I’m not sure Simon is willing to admit that the Idol format works better yet.

Comment by em – December 1, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • stop complaining. If you didn’t vote for Rachel, who is a loveable girl, but was a mess last night, and voted for drew, you wouldnt have to complain. And, it’s Simon fault, he thought that was smart be safe with Drew, that his girls were safe for good.

I loved Drew in the first rounds, then she quite turned out too blehh. A sweet desert is good enough to be repeated until certain time, after this you just dont want to taste it anymore. If Drew had been able to do something that wasn’t slow down every single song that she had, then, she wouldn’t have been eliminated. It’s Simon’s fault, and to make himself better he will offer a big contract to her in a few weeks, so don’t be too worried about Drew. It was Simon’s mess, but she will do great!

Comment by Perola – December 1, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think this result was fair at all. It was based on the judge’s biased feelings towards Simon Cowell. They wanted him to lose one. This is a prime example as to why The Sing-off works better than the X-factor. The judges personal emotions don’t get in the way of who gets eliminated. I cannot believe they picked Marcus “can’t exactly carry a tune” Canty over the unique, pure voice of Drew. I am disappointed in Paula. I continue to despise Nicole (as a judge; I still think she’s stunning).

Very disappointing.

Comment by khs – December 1, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. I could see excitement hidden on the two women’s faces the moment they realized Drew was in the hot seat. They couldn’t wait to stick it to Simon. I suspect there was a little primal female instinctive jealousy at play as well. They really did look full of themselves as Drew balled her eyes out as the credits rolled.

Comment by Jake – December 1, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sometimes it seems that powerful women all go on about how hard it has been for them (and it probably has and some of the hardship certainly was due to guys) but then when it comes down to they are the very first in line to push another woman off the cliff it so often seems. Again and again.

Although here it was a weird mix since Simon was kinda bashing them down so they either stand up for themselves or for Drew. But since the show was about the contestants and not themselves, ultimately, and since getting at him in this way really serves them nothing, they made pretty bad and sad choice.

Comment by x – December 1, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, I’m calling it right now, if Rachel didn’t go home after her perfomance last night, she’s winning this thing! Book it.

Comment by Terry – December 1, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She needs to say she’s singing for Jesus first! It’s what all the girls with Simon are saying!

Comment by (!) – December 1, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was a stupid decision! I don’t believe they are being fair, it’s like they are holding a grudge. Such a talented singer better than a coulpe of people left in the competition. I’m so upset I really enjoyed watching her every week! I hope they are happy w their stupid decision!

Comment by Pearl – December 1, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot believe that! Why would Paula send her home?? That just makes me so mad. I couldn’t wait to have Paula back now I’m kicking myself.

Comment by Denise@WittyLiving.com – December 1, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just want to add that next season, the judges should mentor, American votes for who is in the bottom and the BIG CHANGE: the audience(or part of it?) should pick who wins the sing off.

Comment by Denise@WittyLiving.com – December 1, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t forget that usually when the audience goes crazy, they’re being cued/warmed up.

Comment by Shindig – December 1, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon called it early about the two female judges (anti young females, very insecure.) I felt J Lo was the same regarding Haley on American Idol. Drew is great and my teenage son enjoys her the most and he is the age group to buy lots of music.

Comment by Sofia – December 1, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and that was also the weak point of Kara when she was an AI judge, so catty toward any female contestant who might possibly be as hot or hotter than her

it really makes a mess of the shows

JLo was nice until suddenly Haley became a serious talent threat and with the talk about her marriage breaking up maybe some of that sudden;y played into her and thats why she seemed to flip 180 on Haley for now reason

not sure what Randy’s deal was, maybe just pure sold out to Nigel;s money for so long he has simply lost any sense of his former self and abilities

Comment by a – December 1, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dunno, Kara is a pretty cool chick. If you listen to things she’s said after idol, she’s not that bad of a person and nowhere near the superbitch people make her out to be. J-Lo and Randy, though. Lol.

Comment by Shindig – December 1, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I generally did like Kara and she often had things to say that made some sense. Her one downside is she did seem to get awfully over defensive any time an attractive contestant was around. She really did. Didn’t she even once go on a rant telling Didi Benami to not even try going the sexy route because frankly she (Didi) just can’t remotely pull it off (umm yeah she could), etc. etc.

Otherwise, she was probably my favorite judge though. (it’s also true that apparently they tried to have her do some embarrassing things to show her own assets off so maybe they put her in a mood to be vulnerably way over defensive and catty toward some of the better looking contestants??)

Comment by a – December 3, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The judges made the right decision. These people want to give 5 million dollars to someone who has the ‘X’…that extra thing…let’s face it. Simon has a good group of singers but none of them are really performers, he put them in a box and he’s been playing it safe with all of them. Out of the three girls, Rachel is the only one that comes close to being a performer but she still has a long way to go. Melanie Amaro can sang but shes missing that emotional vulnerability to her performance (maybe because Simon picks all her songs)…and Drew she was just a one trick pony, Simon never took a risk with her, never pushed her and that’s why she got old fast. Yes, Marcus didn’t have perfect vocals but when he sings he connects with the song on an emotional level. So all in all I thought the judges made the right decision, go cry a river Simon!

Comment by Margo – December 1, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh please. They’ll never make the 5 million dollars back on Marcus or Chris or Astro. The ‘X’ is singing talent, and they chose to retain the one who has it less. I laugh at your attempts to sound educated with your performance, but you’re just as envious of Drew (or anti-Simon) as the female judges.

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops, should read as “…educated with your *evaluation*” and not “performance”.

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Think I might be done with the show. She was great and has a ton of potential. That was total boloney.

Comment by Jenn – December 1, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Drew going home was the right decision!!! She has no stage presence whatsoever and her final performance was weak!!! Josh needs to win!! He is the true talent in this competiton!

Comment by Lea – December 1, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a joke! Marcus was so off key it wasn’t even funny. Drew will become a huge star and show them all.

Comment by Tracygal – December 1, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Nicole and Paula could see this message.
    You guys bias and made wrong decision.
    I’m not fan of Nicole but Paula.
    Not anymore Paula, I thought you were fair and nice person.
    Regret that I was your fan.

Comment by Khin – December 1, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no comment for this show. I don’t really think Nicole and crack head Paula know how to judge. I guess I can focus on my other shows on Wednesday and Thursday. Maybe I can watch next season when Paul and Nicole are gone. Can’t stand them.

Comment by JC – December 1, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the dig L.A. gave Steve when he called him “Mr. Personality.” Diss!

Comment by blingedup.susan – December 1, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • in the words of simon, this decision was bloody awful!! how could paula not send the decision to the votes, after simon saved Lakota Rayne (her group)and sent it to the votes?!?!? oh and by the way, marcus and chris blow.

Comment by Doug – December 1, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paula should have let america decide and I think it would have been an easier pill to swallow. Moron!

Comment by nene – December 1, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to say this but I find AI more interesting, even more intimate then this show. I don’t care who wins, I try and watch it and walk away. Hell I will even work out instead of watching this show.

Comment by jessiesk – December 1, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you, jessiesk. What with all of the laser beams and wind machines and slutty dancers and a thunderous din from the audience……..I cannot see or hear the contestants enough to give a rat’s axx about them.

I had sworn off Idol last year due to the crappy new judges, but I may be giving that show a second chance. Anything is better than this mess.

Comment by crystal fan – December 1, 2011 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone think Simon was going to take it well when one of his girls went home? That’s the problem with the “judges” also being “mentors”. They are competing with each other to keep their proteges on the show.
    _____________________________
    As far as Drew – she wouldn’t have been there if she had more votes. Many of us have said she wasn’t all that interesting as a performer. She’s a one-trick pony. You either love the trick, or you don’t. I didn’t.
    _____________________________

That said – look at who is left. Next week, we lose at least one more. Marcus most likely. Who do you think has more support, Rachel or Melanie or Josh or Chris? I’m expecting a surprise elimination there. Maybe Josh?

Comment by GingerSnap – December 1, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be completely honest, I couldn’t disagree more with Michael on this matter. And I hate the names he calls Nicole. Since when it is okay to call a woman skanky (unnecessarily I might add)? I was whooping with joy when they sent Drew home and it was for a few reasons:

For the first time, I finally saw the judges vote someone out strategically. Who was the biggest competition for Josh? Drew. So Nicole voted her out. I was proud of her. Second, I actually thought Marcus gave a heart wrenching vocal. Yeah, there were breaks here and there but I felt everything he was feeling and that is what a save me song should do. Third, Drew is young and a little too sure of herself. There is a difference between confidence and delusion. She honestly thought she was going to win this competition – and that is because you have people like Michael Slezak who are saying she’s the best thing since Kelly Clarkson when the fact of the matter is, she sounded the same every single week. I’m not denying the fact that she’s talented but she’s not the most talented, and she’s not the person with the most x-factor on this show.

On a side note, I love the fact that everyone keeps trying to bring Chris Rene down and he has yet to be in the bottom. I love that guy and everything he brings. I admit he isn’t the strongest vocally but I do think that he has one of the biggest “x factors,” between his song writing abilities, charm and absolute sincerity. He doesn’t have to go through a humbling process for him to realize he isn’t the best thing out there unlike other people in this competition.

I love this top 5. And I know I might get slammed for this comment but as a normally huge fan of Michael and his opinions, I had to speak my mind.

Comment by Miranda – December 1, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bloggers are constantly underestimating Josh. When he makes his own choices, he’s unbeatable. But he’s suffered from poor production and song choice under Nichole’s influence.

Comment by ana_muti – December 1, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Respect to you Miranda for saying it as it is.When i started reading this blog i(too) thought Michael was being really unprofessional by calling Nicole a skank. Whether or not it was a strategic move on Nicole’s side to eliminate Drew is debatable but i am 100% glad that she went home. I agree with you on Chris Rene. If it was a singing competition he probably wouldn’t have made it this far. But he’s got that special something which makes you want to listen and watch him more(unlike the aforementioned girl). Marcus seems like a really lovable guy and he put everything he had into that save me song and we could actually feel his emotions.
      Props to you(again) for being the first to raise this point and irrespective of if you get slammed by Michael or Drew fans you have my vote. kudos.

Comment by Stephanie – December 1, 2011 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh please. There’s nothing in Chris Rene outside of his backstory that’s interesting. Zilch. Do I want to sit down and talk with him? Absolutely. I even think we’ll be good friends if ever. But I certainly won’t be buying his album or paying for his concert tickets.

Again, please. The X-Factor is a singing competition. You want “special” stuff? You should be watching “America’s Got Talent” and not this one.

Comment by Vince – December 1, 2011 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you about Marcus. I was never a fan and I’m not usually one to get swept away with how ‘emotional’ the singing was. I’m a stickler for staying on key.
      But during his save me song, despite the fact that his voice was kind of a wreck the whole time, I felt quite moved. And I kind of began rooting for his as the underdog. I don’t enjoy his normal performances and I don’t think he has the star power to deserve that 5 million dollar prize but I think that, for a moment there, he sang from his soul. And I thought it sounded beautiful(cracks and all).

Comment by Max – December 2, 2011 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said! I agree with you about Chris, and second your distaste for Michael’s “skank” line.

Comment by joy – December 2, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • drew was one of the only saving graces in the mess of this “contest”! rachel’s cuteness wont be able to hold the dismal ratings, melanie will also threathen the subpar panel of judges, so needless to say the envious B-listers will vote her off. we can only hope that Josh, by the grace of God will run as far as he can from his “mentor”. the rest i am sure we will see on some VHI countdown to something, reality shows that failed…numero 1. at least america made one good vote, see ya Astro

Comment by nicolle – December 1, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think the judges are that far off. Neither Drew or Marcus had an exceptional performance and although Drew has the better voice, she has no stage presence. The way I see it -
    Melanie – best vocalist
    Josh – Best performer when in his element
    Rachel – Usually entertaining / maybe has the X with the right material
    Chris – Interesting, will need to show some more diversity
    Marcus – OK performer
    At this point it’s basically a popularity contest

Comment by AL – December 1, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post