Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Castle, New Girl, Gossip Girl, Awkward and More!

Mayor may not “Caskett” have a conflict ahead? What happens when Once Upon a Time and Buffy cross streams? Is Awkward love in the air? Read on for those answers, plus other teases from TV’s hottest shows.

Castle | As you anxiously await the well-teased “Cuffed” fun coming on Monday, here is Stana Katic dishing on the following episode, in which Castle’s good friend, Mayor Weldon himself (now played by Damages‘ Derek Webster), is suspected of murder. “It’s a conflicted case for Beckett,” Katic said. “She knows that the mayor is valuable in keeping Castle in the precinct, but at the same time she doesn’t want anyone who’s committed murder to get away with it. She won’t compromise her sense of right and wrong.” Castle, meanwhile, understandably maintains the mayor’s innocence, creating friction in the squad room. “It’s his friend and he thinks he knows him,” says Katic, “so [Rick and Kate] will stand on two different sides of the line. But the case is a little bit greyer for Beckett than for Castle, and she has to figure out what to do with [the implicating] information.”

Hot Video: ‘Cuffed’ Castle Gets a ‘Kinky’ Wake-Up Call!

Once Upon a Time | Fans of ABC’s fantastical freshman series geeked out more than a little when Emma Caulfield was cast as the Blind Witch from Hansel and Gretel lore. And the show’s bosses share that enthusiasm. “We’ve been huge fans of hers since Buffy, so we’re very excited to have her on the show,” Adam Horowitz told me. Added Edward Kitsis: “We couldn’t think of anyone better to trap two children in a house and try to eat them” than the portrayer of a onetime vengeance demon. Though the EPs were hesitant to share much more about Caufield’s Episode 9 storyline, I’m hearing it will be revealed that the Blind Witch has a none-too-friendly past with the Evil Queen – something having to do with an item that one of the villainesses stole from the other.

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Once Upon a Time‘s Clumsy New Fairy

Awkward | Dipping into the reader mailbag, Raissa asks: “Any Awkward scoop?” Oh, honey, everything I do is awkward. TVLine recently met up with the MTV charmer’s creator, Lauren Iungerich, and she confirmed that Sadie will for sure get a love interest in Season 2 — namely a fella who is “a lot different than Sadie, although very confident. He has to have enough of a backbone to take her on.” Iungerich typified the romance as “very surprising” and – wait for it – “definitely love.” Awwww…kward.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on the Sons of Anarchy Finale, Supernatural, Homeland, Gossip Girl and More

Gossip Girl | Popping open another reader email, Victoria wonders “if (when?) the Van der Woodsens/Rhodes are ever going to find the truth out about Ivy/Charlie” — a very legit Q seeing as how just this week “Charlie” “admitted” that she was “really” Charlie but was “forced” to pose as “Ivy.” (Whew, I’m out of airquotes.) When I chatted up Kaylee Defer at the 100th episode soiree, she was mum on the timetable for that reveal, but ventured that once the bombshell is dropped, two adults – and not Serena – will be most devastated by the duplicity. “Serena is just so used to people saying that they’re not who they really say they are,” the ingénue noted, “while Lily and Rufus became kind of parents to [Ivy] — so they’ll probably take it the hardest.”

Gossip Girl Spoiler Alert: 8 Things You Need to Know About Blair’s Wedding Day

New Girl | If you think that quirky Justin Long represents the sort of “interesting” men Jess will date, think again. In fact, right now the Fox hit is casting the guest-starring role of a completely and painfully uninteresting fella Jess will hook up with on, of all occasions, Valentine’s Day. Adding to the awkward: This guy still lives with his ex, which makes for less-than-heavy petting on the sofa. Nick’s “date” for the night, meanwhile, is also a dude – an intern who works for his soon-to-be girlfriend Julia (played by Party Downer Lizzy Caplan).

Burn Notice Scoop: Dean Cain, Eric Roberts, Kristanna Loken Booked For Red-Hot Finale

Burn Notice | I cued up the Season 5 finale (airing Dec. 15) this morning, and it’s got Michael, Fi and the gang jumping through allll kinds of hoops, largely because of a big reveal that’s uncorked at the close of the preceding episode. The good news is that the good guys find evidence that links Anson to the explosion/deaths he’s been threatening to pin on Fi; the bad news is that said “smoking gun” might not be around long enough to prevent Fi from turning herself in. Why now, more than before, is Ms. Glenanne compelled to “confess”? Let’s just say that Anson is going to ask Michael to do the unthinkable.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. fotreya says:

I can´t wait for ONCE UPON A TIME¡¡¡
    Best new tv show

2. CJ says:

They aren’t “airquotes” when you type them…..they’re just quotes.

3. Emily says:

Poor Rufus and Lily. :( At least this way they’ll finally get a story line. it just sucks that this is more proof that Serena’s got nothing to do.

That’s a question I’d love answered! Does the GG production team have some kind of feud going with Blake Lively? I feel like they are punishing Serena (and viewers!) by giving her no story lines and only having screentime when it’s propping Dan, Ivy or Blair’s story lines. It’s really sucking the show dry.

• Katie says:

Yeah, I’m kind of wondering the same thing. I love Blair and the others, but I do miss Serena being somewhat the center of the show. Maybe Blake requested a lighter schedule so she could have time to do other projects (namely, movies) during GG’s filming period? Who knows.

• lorna says:

Blake is a bad actress. Had a friend who went to high school with her, let’s just say she had nothing good to say.

• CJ says:

While I understand her popularity and success, I have to agree that Blake Lively isn’t very good as an actress. She’s wooden and awkward. She’s also physically off–a little hunched, and so tall and skinny.

• Captain says:

The wardrobe and hair people have been punishing her for years. Maybe she’s just unpleasant?

4. Saint Alicia says:

Castle ep sounds good, also might set the stage for the Mayor being replaced (or did I make that up?).

and DON’T cross the streams!

5. Chris Witte says:

I’ve been done with Burn Notice for a while now. Although I love the snark and the character interactions, the whole search for whoever burned Michael, etc. just feels a little too neverending story for me. After a while you’ve gotta move on, you know?

6. Jay says:

Cheers for the Awkward news, just pips Revenge as my fave new show for 2011.

7. Ace says:

Thanks for the scoop, Matt! You’re great. (-:

And I’m totally psyched to see Emma Caufield on OUAT! Yay! (Do you think her character’s feud with E.Q. is because she stole her eyesight?)

8. M. says:

They really can’t keep the Charlie/Ivy plot for long,it’s been boring since episode 2.As for New Girl,they really weren’t kidding about Nick/Jess being a slow burn.About OUAT,I’m pretty sure I’ll spend the whole episode pointing at the screen and shouting ‘OMG IT’S ANYA’.

9. Emgee says:

I am epically psyched about “Burn Notice.”

10. laura says:

I just watched all the Awkward episodes in a day and it is such a cute show, cannot wait for season 2
    it was a pleasant surprise

11. Anita says:

Aw so Justin Long isn’t sticking around? I loved the quirky chemistry he and Zoey Deschanel had, despite myself! :)

12. Ashley says:

Love Awkward, and specifically Matty and Jenna. It’s such a smart and well written show. The dialogue is always witty and hilarious. People who haven’t watched it yet should check it out. It’s on MTV but you wouldn’t think so by how good it is.

Anyways, Once Upon a Time is getting so many great people to be on their show. It’s definitely one of my favorite new shows.

I agree with the other people that said Serena needs more screentime. She had her own thing going on in the beginning with her job but these last few episodes not so much. She’s one of my favorite characters.

13. juan says:

so I saw the whole Awkward marathon on friday and it was such an amazing show, I loved it and can’t wait for next season. Also I really am liking OUAT, that sounds like its gonna be a good ep.

14. Lena says:

Castle’s next episode is going to be epic.
    Happy to read about Once Upon a time. The show keeps getting better and better.

15. Jenny says:

Screw New Girl. Awkward is the best new comedy, which is crazy because it comes from MTV. When is the second season starting?! I’ve been dying to know!

16. Julie says:

We haven’t seen the mayor in a while so I might not even see the difference (lol I don’t watch that show for the Mayor!! ;) hehe!!) But anyways I cannot wait to see how this episode of Castle will turn out to be (though we have seen Castle and Beckett in a situation a lot like this one before, but I guess it’s bigger this time since the mayor’s involved!)
    As for the OUAT episode I can’t wait (as always) Hey Matt do you know by any chance how long the hiatus will be for Once? I know I should e-mail you the question but I thought I’d try here ;)

17. Adina says:

Am I the only one thinking that Charlie is really Georgina Sparks? Maybe it was just someone with similar voice in the phone then but it fits well into the storyline