The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching Wednesday

On TV this Wednesday: A really big tree grows in Manhattan, the Shat hits the Psych, Soup‘s on… a new night, and more. With ABC in repeat mode and the CBS dramas riding the pine, we’ve singled out 11 programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm Survivor: South Pacific (CBS) | Sit down and wrap your brain around this teaser: “A castaway tells a bold lie in hopes of gaining favor with his tribemates.” No, really. A strategic lie. On Survivor!

8 pm Christmas in Rockefeller Center (NBC) | Co-hosted by Today‘s Al Roker and Savannah Guthrie, the 79th annual tree lighting features musical guests such as Tony Bennett, Justin Bieber, Michael Bublé, Cee Lo Green, Katharine McPhee (Smash!) and Javier Colon performing current hits and holiday classics.

8 pm A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa (The CW) | Thanks to Mr. Jason Segel, they’re all the rage again. Good for you, CW, for striking while the iron is hot!

8 pm The X Factor (Fox) | The Top 7! Perform! Words set to music!

The X Factor Leaderboard: Who’s Your Favorite From the Top 7 Acts? Vote!

9 pm Ricochet (TNT) | The second entry in TNT’s new Mystery Movie Night series is based on the Sandra Brown bestseller and stars John Corbett (Parenthood), Julie Benz (Dexter), Kelly Overton and Gary Cole.

9 pm Harry’s Law (NBC) | Harry and Adam represent parents whose son died after suffering a concussion during a high school football game; Tommy argues on behalf of a single mother who robbed a bank to pay her bills. (Um, wasn’t that the case from the pilot?)

True Blood Exclusive: Law & Order: SVU‘s Chris Meloni Circling Major Role of [Spoiler]!

10 pm The Grammy Nominations Concert Live! Countdown to Music’s Biggest Night (CBS) | Sorry, with a title like that there’s no room to say more.

OK, fine: In addition to announcing nominations for the 54th Grammy Awards, you’ll get performances by the likes of Lady Gaga, Ludacris, Rihanna and Sugarland, plus an all-star rendition of Grandmaster Flash’s “The Message.” Also watch for a live announcement from “an iconic group” regarding a reunion to take place at the Grammys on Feb. 12. I’m thinking… Edie Brickell? Zit Remedy?

10 pm Law & Order: SVU (NBC) | When a Romani boy vanishes on his way home from school, the SVU must penetrate his insular community to find the abductors. Guest stars include Gilbert Gottfried as an insurance mascot a tech whiz, Ron Rifkin (Alias) and Tony Award nominee Gavin Lee.

10 pm Psych (USA Network) | Juliet gets a visit from her estranged father (guest star William Shatner), a charming grifter who wants to mend their broken relationship… at least, that is, until the opportunity to pull off a dream con is presented to him. “Connnnnn!”

10 pm The Soup (E!) | As if you needed more to choose from on Wednesdays at 10, Joel McHale & Co’s weekly snarkfest is now calling this time slot home. If TVLine might sweeten the pot: Community‘s Danny Pudi, late-night talk host Jimmy Kimmel, and Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter with his wife/star Katey Sagal are all set to drop by.

10 pm Hot in Cleveland (TV Land) | The Season 3 premiere finds the ladies still recovering from Elka’s bachelorette party — namely with Victoria going to NYC to proclaim her love for Joy on national television, and Elka having second thoughts about the suitor she chose.

Donald Faison Touts His New Sitcom’s Exes Appeal, Talks Potential Cougar Town Cameo

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the Comments to offer tune-in suggestions of your own!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Winnie says:

Aww, I wanted some fresh new shows across the board tonight! I guess I’ll have to get one of those life(?) things people talk about…

That ‘Connnnnn’ joke in the psych episode synopsis made me do a coffee spit-take! This is why I love me some Matt! (And I love me some poor grammar, too.)

2. I’ll DVR American Horror Story, assuming it’s new. If not, then nothing for me tonight! I wish they’d move some of those shows from Thursday at 8 over to Wednesday night.

3. Katie Hart says:

Is it just me, or does the description of tonight’s Psych episode sound a little too similar to Sarah Walker (from Chuck) and her dad?

• Templar says:

Juliet’s FATHER? Did her mother meet him at the senior center? Grandfather is more like it. Ridiculous casting. As bad as Wagner playing DiNozzo’s dad on NCIS.

• Katie Hart says:

49 years is a bit much. But I disagree about Wagner being a bad choice for DiNozzo’s dad. 38 years difference isn’t odd for parents and kids – my dad was 39 and 40 when my two youngest siblings were born.

4. Snapy says:

Just Survivor I guess.

5. Sourabh says:

I guess I’m watching Psych and The Soup.

6. scooterbeanbag says:

Awesome Degrassi reference Matt!! “Everybody wants something, they’ll never give up…

7. Amanda says:

What about the new shows tonight? I Hate My Teenage Daughter and The Exes…any thoughts on those two pilots?

BTW, I’m really annoyed with E! for moving The Soup.

• Tuffie L'Rue says:

I’ve never seen any commercials for The Exes but I hate My Teenage Daguther looks like it’s going to be totally awful. It always seems like the actors are either SHOUTING or whispering in every ad.

8. Pam says:

I will be watching Psych and the shows I missed last night. It’s getting cold where I live so perfect time to snuggle in bed and watch TV!

9. kevin says:

10. Diana says:

My husband and I live for Wednesday night! Where is the love for American Horror Story?!

11. Erin says:

OMG. “Zit Remedy.” Thank you, Matt.

12. Lisa says:

Ghost Hunters
    Fact or Faked
    American Horror Story

13. MrWeen says:

Hate to be a stickler but it would be a “The Zits” reunion since they changed the band name when they started high school. They thought it sounded more professional. “they’ll take your money….. And never give up “

14. katie says:

Psych all the way.

15. Justin says:

I’ll be watching Psych and that TNT movie Ricochet.

16. fernando says:

No Revenge tonight (Sad Face) well i’ll watch Hot in Cleveland live then. I love this show.

17. s. says:

Yes, Its a Psych nite! They have some great special guest this season. Thanks Matt, I like your taste in TV shows! and the “Connnnnn!” joke was funny fun.

18. Tricia says:

time to catch up on my DVR’d shows!

19. ICy says:

I’m sure Christmas in Rockerfeller center will get low ratings. No one wants to watch Bieber ruin the whole damn thing, by lipsyncing to his horrible overly computerized and autotuned christmas songs.
    I don’t think anyone would want to sit through his horrible performace anyways. The ratings will drop as soon as he comes on.

20. icy says:

Can’t wait for Svu tonight!!

21. Karen says:

Harrys Law, SVU, Will probably dvr I hate my Teenage Daughter, see if I like it.
    Will miss Revenge!!

22. Michael says:

Psych all the way.

23. Ari says:

not that I plan on watching “I Hate My Teenage Daughter”, but I recall some kind of rule or something about a new show getting 2 appearances on the TV Line-Up, it was actually mentioned on October 25th Line-Up referring to the 2nd episode of Man Up!

Quoting: ” 8:30 pm Man Up! (ABC) | As noted weeks ago, all freshman shows get two (2) free passes on the TVLU, then need to earn their keep. So… this week the freshman ABC comedy sends the fellas to a Star Wars screening! “

24. You all mad at Ryan or something? no Horror story stuff on TVLine… geeezzz! This is my go-to tv entertainment blog, step it up!!

25. Kasper says:

Loved Shatners visit on Psych – a great episode!