Exclusive: Supernatural Resurrects Vampire Diaries' Sara Canning For a Hot Date with Dean!

Ex-Vampire Diaries star Sara Canning is about to become the latest notch on Dean Winchester’s belt.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Supernatural has tapped Canning to guest star as a lust interest for Jensen Ackles’ demon warrior.

She’ll play Lydia, a character executive producer Sera Gamble describes as “wry, independent, and as fun-loving as Dean.” Gamble adds that she and Dean “have a memorable evening that takes an unexpected turn.”

Supernatural Scoop: Jason Dohring to Play [Spoiler Alert]!

The original casting breakdown for Lydia took things a step further, describing their encounter as a “sizzling one-night stand.”

Canning, who played Elena and Jeremy’s beloved Aunt Jenna on Diaries until she was killed off in last May’s bloodbath, will appear in Supernatural‘s 13th episode (slated to air in late January).

Supernatural‘s fall finale airs Friday at 9/8c on The CW.

Comments (189)

• Too many hate comments.

Comment by Anonymous – November 30, 2011 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @DeanFTW (sorry side wouldn’t let me reply directly)
    Ok, but as long as they stay there, why do you care? I’m sure there are forums/sides where Sam is bashed too, there is one for every character on the show.
    And somehow reading through the comments of this article (and similar ones) it seems that the Sam hate is leading nowadays (since the summer). And saying Sam girls did it in season 4 is a rather unconvincing argument. It was annoying then, and its annoying now.

I wish both extremes would just stay in their corners (forums), and stop turning every article that even mentioning Spn into a bloody cat fight (they are pointless anyway since no side will ever change their opinion or change what the writers do on the show).
    Furthermore, it’s a real turn off for any non extreme fan, who wants to comment – you are taking all the fun out of a spoiler. Not to mention any potential new fans who now probably won’t give the show a try, after reading all the bitchiness and complaining. Other fandoms are already saying we are insane (a bunch of lunnies), no need to prove them right every single day.

Comment by Curious – December 1, 2011 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hear hear Curious, well said!!

Comment by Nics – December 1, 2011 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, Thank God, for the the internet police. Where would we all be w/o them directing us to where we should post?…*eye roll*…

Comment by Sara – December 1, 2011 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for proving the point. You’re all acting like 5-year old with temper tantrums or snotty teenagers. Who rolls their eyes today? Grow up.

Comment by Oo – December 1, 2011 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My GOD people – aren’t we all Supernatural fans?? Can’t we just get on without fighting about which of the boys gets the most airtime and most storylines?? I love them both, yes I’m a Dean/Jensen girl, but I love Sam/Jared too. I won’t hear a word said against either of them! This news of a Dean love-scene just makes me more concerned with my blood pressure and the fact I’ll now forever be jealous of Jenna when watching TVD!

Comment by Nics – December 1, 2011 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sara Canning is awesome ! :D Excited to see her still floating around CW shows and staying in genre

Comment by Andrew – December 1, 2011 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh everyone knows they are trying to get the ratings up with a Dean scoop!…

Sarcasm intended

Comment by Julie – December 1, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Grow up people. Seriously.
      I’m happy for Dean, but sheesh stop with the «OHEMGEE call the police he has a spoiler!!!!» crap! First of all we RARELY get any spoilers for the show to begin with, so just enjoy what we get true???

Comment by Julie – December 1, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Supernatural fandom make’s me want to hold the Vodka bottle alittle tighter.

Comment by Josh – December 1, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t start a drinking game for hate comments if I were you, Josh. Not even a Russian could take so much Vodka XDDD

Comment by Sussie – December 1, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s hope this character isn’t as boring as the one she played on VD!

Comment by Amber – December 1, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok I am a sam fan and even I admit a majority of the show has been focused on him season one his girlfriend dies and he starts having visions season two finds out he has demon blood in him blah blah, season three was mostly based on dean and his struggle to get out of the hell deal season four sam starts screwing ugly and drinking her blood and starts the apocaylpse season five sam has to become lucifer to stop the apocaylpse which he pretty much started season six sam has no soul then cas struggles with his decisions about heaven dean kinda is down played and even as a sam fan it makes me mad I would love a dean centered episode or four and as far as the cas stuff goes they’ll either bring him back or they won’t deal with him being gone or don’t watch

Comment by denise – December 1, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, nicely said Denise! And as a Dean and Jensen fan who also loves Sam and Jared it’s nice to see someone else who can appreciate both even if they have a favourite! :) Good for you!

Comment by Nics – December 4, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘latest notch on Dean Winchester’s belt’ and ‘ a lust interest for Jensen Ackles’ demon warrior’ – really? That’s how we’re describing a new female character? Not, of course, that I expect much different. Sera’s ‘“wry, independent, and as fun-loving as Dean.”‘ approach also falls flat, considering it looks like the character was added solely for the purpose of getting Dean laid.

I am a Dean-girl, through and through, but this just strikes me all sorts of wrong.

Comment by Mooglets – December 1, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well at least she’s not a working girl or a monster.
      Though, I’m sure there will be something wrong with her, my guesses witch or no personality.

Comment by Jessie – December 1, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hm…never heard of this girl, but then I don’t watch Vampire Diaries..but okie doke..Dean gets some..lol.

Comment by Shiba – December 1, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, what happened here. LOL I hope everyone that is arguing is putting just as much energy into voting for the them for PCAs. If so, they’ll win by a landslide.

Comment by Dee – December 2, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder, will Dean still have Castiel’s handprint on his shoulder? How will he explain that to this chick? Or I guess maybe she won’t even care or ask, since she just wants baby batter. Or, hehe, maybe she’ll stroke it like Anna did and Dean will remember Cas and start crying during sex. That would be different.

Comment by Restless – December 2, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think the spoiler is Deam having a love interest. They say the evening takes an unexpected turn and the original title was Knocked up as in preggers. Angel did an ep where Cordelia (Charisma Carperter, 7.05) ends an evening heavily preggers with demon spawn as part of a deal between the demon and the guy she went out with. Maybe something similiar here?

Comment by Tawrens – December 15, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope, Sara will be late
    In a serial for a long time…

Comment by Lina – December 17, 2011 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Supernatural was an awesome show without Castiel, but I just don’t think it would be the same if they just off him for good now. Kind of sucks already because they killed off some good characters. If they take Cas away… I might have to find a new favorite show.

Comment by Suejohn2 – January 8, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post