Glee Eyes Gloria Estefan to Play Santana's Mom

Santana is getting a mami!

Glee is in talks with Latin music superstar Gloria Estefan to play the recently outed cheerleader’s mother.

Exclusive: Glee Casts Ricky Martin as ‘Hottest [Spoiler Alert] in History’

According to, the Fox musical dramedy even plans to use some of Estefan’s songs in her episode, including a few bilingual tunes.

In this Tuesday’s installment of Glee, Santana came out as a lesbian to her grandma, who promptly kicked her out. But her parents were allegedly cool with her sexuality — offscreen. Her’s hoping mom will talk some sense into Santana’s abuela when she makes her debut.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Alex says:

Sofia Vergara is always going to be Mama Lopez to me thanks to Tumblr. However, I guess Gloria Estefan could work. The 90s ARE hip again after all…

2. Liz says:

No too too happy about all the guest stars but we haven’t had any all season so that is good. Plus I love that they are feeling the Latin Love. With that being said I love Gloria Estefan BUT I think there are better Latin music stars out there. But most aren’t bilingual.

3. nyla says:

Sara Ramirez would’ve been the perfect choice. (young mom?)
    But Gloria Estefan is a pretty big score, not mad at it.

4. Danielle H says:

Back to the stunt casting I see! I’ve never seen a show lead go back on his word every other day, lol. It’s really comical and sad.

• Danielle H says:

I DO like Gloria though. No hate towards her, except for maybe a twinge of “I’m trying to become semi relevant again-ness.”

• abc says:

They said no guest stars for the first part of the season and they stuck to their word. And at least she’s playing a character that exists and is relevant to the story, unlike Ricky Martin playing a character obviously created for him.

5. Babygate says:

I would love to see Sara Ramirez on Glee but Gloria is a big score for the show too. I hope they do some Latin numbers. That genre has been completely ignored by the show. Bilingual salsa. Yes!!! I love Gloria’s music so I am psyched about this…

6. lipsticksocialism says:

YES YES YES!! Also, hooray for some bilingual tunes. No one does them better than Gloria <3 <3

7. Beth says:

I think Gloria Estefan seems like a good choice to play Santana’s mom. I’m totally interested to see their dynamic. I hope that Santana’s mom can talk some sense into her grandmother. Santana bugs me as a character most of the time, but watching her get shunned by her abuelita was really sad to me. Read more of my thoughts on this week’s episode at–-i-kissed-a-girl-–-burt-wins-congress-and-kurt-loses-student-council-president

8. nellelopez says:

Gloria Estefan is an awesome choice. I wouldn’t say though that she’s the first name to come to mind to play Santana’s mom. I was thinking Sofia Vergara (that would be hilarious) or Jennifer Lopez, lol! Amazing choice though!

9. Vicki says:

I have never seen one episode of this show but your headline got me. I’d watch this to catch Gloria Estefan. Sofia would be good somewhere else too.

10. whaaaaat says:

11. Ella says:

Yeah Gloria works but I too would love to see Sogia Vergara as Santana’s mom – too bad she can’t sing AT All. Remember the karaoke machine on Modern Family? :snickers:

12. shawn says:

meh, is there really a need to cast a big star for this part, especially since they already had the coming out off screen. maybe if they were going to show her coming out to her parents on screen i would feel differently but at this point it’ll be a pointless one time guest role when they should be looking at wrapping up this story line and getting back to some other characters like finn feeling lost about his future or some stories for artie or tina why bother making them juniors if they dont get any story lines this year and what about rory have these actually been counting as part of damien’s episodes? thats one thing that i hate sometimes about glee they kinda skip over characters for a few episodes at a time

13. Kat says:

I’ve been a Gloria fan since she was part of Miami Sound Machine but why are we seeing Santana’s parents? They know she’s gay and don’t care. And didn’t Ryan Murphy say he wasn’t doing the guest stars route this year? Though we now have Ricky Martin, Gloria etc.

Has it occurred to RM and FOX that Glee might be having a better season if Ryan didn’t change his mind every five seconds about what plot path he was heading down? Give the man some ADD meds and tell him to re-watch season one and get back to us!

14. SteveZ says:

My first reaction was that Gloria Estefan should have been Santana’s abuela… not her mother. Isn’t she like 55 years old? But when you think about it, Naya is only 30 yrs younger than Gloria in real life so maybe the casting isn’t that far off. It would have been great for them to nab Rita Moreno as her abuela though… since she brought the role of Anita in West Side Story to life on the big screen.

15. Matt says:

I still think J.Lo should do it.