Who Does Barbara Walters Find Fascinating This Year? The Kardashians, a Modern Duo and More!

Not only does Barbara Walters keep up with the Kardashians, she finds the polarizing reality staples fascinating.

Yep, you read that correctly.

Walters has unveiled her picks for the 10 Most Fascinating People of 2011 and the entire Kardashian family made the cut.

Joining the celebreality clan are The X Factor‘s Simon Cowell, Kate Middleton’s sis Pippa, and Modern Family couple Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Eric Stonestreet. New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter, Donald Trump and Katy Perry round out the list.

The No. 1 Most Fascinating Person will be revealed in Walters’ annual ABC special, which airs Dec. 14 at 9:30/8:30c.

What do you think of Babs’ picks?

1. Carrie says:

So disappointed. Kardashians? Ugh for obvious rating ploy.

• Leah says:

I dunno, I the Kardashians are definitely fascinating — just in a “how the hell did this happen?” sort of way…

• Go back to journalism says:

Her people tell her what people are talking about and unfortunately, these are the most fascinating according to blogs, rags sold, etc. I will be tuning out for sure. Could not care less about these people. I will give her props for trying to stay current but she is best with real journalism, not crap TV.

2. Cheekee says:

How much did tthe KKK pay Babwa to talk about them.
    Sheeesh.

3. KSM says:

The Kardashians are everywhere. Love them or hate them, you can’t deny that they have been in the news all year long, particularly recently.

• Danyelle says:

That would actually make them LESS fascinating, since we SADLY know every sordid detail from their scripted fake not-at-all-fascinating lives.

4. D'Arcy says:

Terrible list! And honestly, having each Kardashian take up a slot in the 10? And MF couple share a slot… Makes no sense, could have had The Kardashians as a slot and include 3 more (hopefully deserving) people…

• Liz says:

I agree Bababs is losing it. Before it was like 2 celebrities and other political or culture people who made an impact. Now it’s all celebrities plus including the Kardashians shows that true journalism doesn’t exist anymore!!

5. Freedomwatcher38 says:

Kardashian’s ugh, if the news people would ignore them they would go away just like Paris did. They are not interesting nor fascinating, just a bunch of spoiled rich kids who are famous for doing nothing.

6. Laurel says:

The Kardashians and Donald Trump, Ugh !
    They aren’t “fasinating people” ,I go out of my way to avoid them.

7. Jrs says:

Bawba Walters clearly is not a journalist any longer. She’s a total sell-out. That list is just pathetic

8. Lynn says:

*yawn* boring and not interesting.

9. Jess says:

Have faith. Paris Hilton eventually faded into the mist. Perhaps the Kardashians will follow suit eventually. Ride the wave people, ride the wave.

• Chmarin says:

Until there’s a new Kardashian family. Or a new Paris Hilton. Or a new Kate Gosselin. Yes, they fade into the mist eventually, but there’s always *someone* people have to talk about. It’s just the way these things work. It’s sad, yes, but that’s the reality of it.

10. Sally says:

Why does her opinion even matter that much?

11. Geo says:

Donald Trump? Is this the “10 Most Fascinating People of 1995″? Maybe next year, Walters can have Vanilla Ice, Alf, and the Spin Doctors.

12. Morgan says:

I think the only interesting people on that list are the Brits, Simon and Pippa. I’d be curious to see her interviews with them.

13. lisa says:

well kim did have that sex tape that started this whole nonsense! guess she’s good at something besides being a fake spoiled rich kid!

14. Angel says:

Is this list a joke? We may love Katy Perry, but this was Adele’s year. Seriously love Jesse and Eric, but if we’re talking about their show, then it was Ty and Julie’s year, having each won Emmys. Donald Trump’s campaign against the President was bizarre and disturbing (if not decidedly racist,) and if we never heard about him again, it would be fine, so this must be some kind of payback from Barbara, maybe for a stay at one of his resorts, or something else as ridiculous. Simon’s “X Factor” ratings are comparable if not bested by “The Voice,” and since the latter show helped boost fourth-placed NBC, perhaps Christina or Adam, Blake, or Cee Lo should be in his spot. I wonder if Barbara’s show is also going to get low ratings?

15. Kevin says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Adele winds up being the No. 1. I can’t really think of who else would take that spot from the worlds of politics, world issues, etc. that falls into the category of a singular PERSON.

16. Nate says:

Hey, the Jersey Shore cash made the cut last year, so the Kardashians shouldn’t come as any surprise. And it looks like Donald Trump replaced Sarah Palin, who was on this last for the 3 years.

17. Renee says:

Well she just lost all credibility in my eyes.

18. Chmarin says:

My list would be:
    Zooey Deschanel
    Rex Ryan
    Emma Stone
    Amy Poehler
    Joel McHale
    Adele
    Gabrielle Giffords

I’d leave Pippa Middleton, Katy Perry and Simon Cowell.

19. Hannah says:

generally I don’t care what Barbara Walters thinks, but Donald Trump? Really? I can’t think of anything fascinating he’s done this year except get Obama’s birth certificate thrown in his face. He has absolutely know place on this list.
    @Chmarin your list is awesome.

20. Susan says:

21. uhyeahright says:

This is just silly. Fascinating does not always equal celebrities.

22. Ryan says:

Really? Are there really no fascinating people left in the world?

23. Pam says:

While the Kartrashians and the Donald are obvious “Ughs!”, I am really steamed by the inclusion of Derek Jeter. I know he broke a record this year and dated Minka Kelly but the Cardinals came from a 10-game deficit to go all the way with LaRussa retiring as the third-winningest manager ever and Albert Pujols a free agent.

24. Brooke says:

What an insipid and/or outdated list for the most part. The MF duo is the only good pick, but we’re likely supposed to find them fascinating because of the characters they play, not for the actual actors…

25. arial says:

“Most interesting” should be Congresswoman Gaby Giffords and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, because of her comeback and their wonderful, supportive relationship. However, given the outlandishness of some of the other choices, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s chosen Herman Cain.

26. critical says:

#1 will be Justin Beiber.

27. C Garcia says:

So very sad to say this will be the first “10 Most Fascinating People” special I will boycott.
    I have always looked forward to this end-of-the-year treat, but the thought of such
    a formerly prestigious broadcast spotlighting the infamous Kardashian Klan is perplexing
    and disappointing. Barbara and Bill, I thought you had more respect for your audience.
    There are so many other personalities you could have featured who represent the best
    in our society not only for being famous, but for being individuals of substance. I can only
    hope that Snooki won’t be at the top of the list.

28. Jules says:

Seriously!!! This stupid special getting so OLD like mrs.Waters…stop watching longtime ago..
    Plus,her list his crappier than ever…cancel it!

29. Maria Makrinos says:

I trust Barbara Walters and her list. Just look at how much controversy KKK or Donald Trump, to name only two, have sparked. Irregardless of anything anyone says, Donald Trump speaks positive. This man single handedly took himself out bankruptcy, kept his children together while teaching them a great work ethic. It strikes a cord in anyone who is hurting financially and struggling that these individually close knit families, looking to find their individual successful ways in this and other tough cities; albeit one with a woman at the helm and another with a man, should make it soooooooo big while they talk and do nothing? After all I guess SEINFELD had an interesting and informational message which it passed on to it’s viewers regarding what they were all about and EVERYONE embraced that show; DID THEY EVER!!!! IT WAS ENTERTAINING and FUNNY. SEINFELD as well as KKK helped us escape into the problems and imperfections of OTHER families. We should be lauding this mom for keeping her family together while teaching them a very strict work ethic AND while dealing with the REALITY of having teenagers or young adults in this world, with all their DRAMA!!!!! There is NO SUGAR COATING or filtering; OMG, how terrible she is!!!!!! PLEASE. We should give Chris Jenner a huge round of applause for helping keep us sane with some of the drama teenagers or older younger adults pull on their families; makes some of our kids appear to be angels, when we know none of us were/are!!!! I would be proud to know Chris Jenner and Donald Trump and call her a friend.

30. Brandon says:

No Jackie Evancho again she’s the most fascinating person I’ve ever seen and the media is like oh well we see this every 200 years treating her like a commet! I’m more fascinated with my turds then this years list!

31. TamIAm says:

Donald Trump? His name barely registered this year – how did he make it on the list? I think the obvious choice for the number one spot is Kate Middleton. Her wedding completely eclipsed any marital stunt the Kardashian’s could pull (how many people would get up at 4 a.m. to watch Kim get married?). She completed her first North American tour without and hitch and had stars like Jennifer Lopez falling all over her. Everything she wore, ate and did was reported on with total fascination. I’d be shocked if it’s anyone else. J.Lo is about the only person I can imagine making a play for that spot, but she’s well in Kate’s shadow so it would be surprising.