It's Official: Chris Meloni Joins True Blood as a Series Regular — Exclusive New Details!

That noise you hear is the sound of Twitter exploding into a million little pieces over the following news: After weeks of negotiations, Chris Meloni is officially joining True Blood as a series regular in Season 5.

According to executive producer Alan Ball, the former Law & Order: SVU front man will play, “An ancient, powerful vampire who holds the fate of Bill and Eric in his hands.”

Major True Blood Spoiler Alert: Meet Eric’s Vampire “Sister”

The gig brings Meloni back into the HBO fold for the first time since his days on Oz. It also mark a high-profile return to the small screen for the upcoming Man of Steel actor following his sudden departure from SVU last spring.

Urgent Notice: I’ll be revealing more details about Meloni’s vamp alter ego in the next 24 hours on Twitter, so best start following me at @MichaelAusiello now!

Comments (186)

• Omg!!! I don’t know how I will like this!!!

Comment by Devan – December 13, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo…hiss

Comment by jta1973 – December 13, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quinn is my favorite character in the books, simply awesome. Chris Melloni is a great actor and welcome addition, but no Quinn. Give us Quinn!

Comment by tulip – December 13, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is ocella he will be playing. Eric’s maker. Its in the book! And in the book he has a brother Not a sister…..hmmm

Comment by morgan p – December 13, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • have you actually watched the series?

Comment by sockpuppet – December 14, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome news and i can’t wait to watch. But any news on Scott Foley.. he was on the finale and am interested to know if he is sticking around

Comment by ash – December 13, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well……They finally signed the best actor on the block !!!!!
    Will miss him on SVU….but, he made a money move ! You GO CHRIS !!!

Comment by Ella – December 13, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see how meloni can be the one to hold bill and eric fate in his hands with being an ancient vampire. As we remember in season 3 bill and eric buried russell edginton alive in concrete. With that being said, edginton escaped in the end of season 4 and is going to want revenge. What do you think will happen?

Comment by kyle – December 13, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Russell was badly burned and pretty much allowed it—he needed time to heal anyway. Eric could whoop Bill’s ass easily, so I don’t know why you think an ancient wouldn’t have power over them

Comment by sockpuppet – December 14, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thats great cant wait the show is already off the hook.

Comment by Mike carroll – December 13, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If he’s going to be someone over them I’m going with the king from Vegas in the books

Comment by Steph – December 13, 2011 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never saw him in Oz…but if he showed more skin on HBO, I will be more glued then ever! Love me some Stapler

Comment by nikki – December 13, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so loving it. lost him on one of my favorite shows to gain him on another one… cant wait for true blood yesssssssssssss

Comment by elizabeth – December 13, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy to hear that Michael Melonie is going to be on True Blood….this is like my all time favorite show I live for my sundays…

Comment by Lora penton – December 13, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He might be that Vamp King from Nevada???

Comment by Mickey508 – December 13, 2011 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gratifying to know that Mr. meloni wing integrates most fabulous series of this decade, I’ve seen his work in the series oz and made ​​me an actor without prejudice, doing nudity where he saw his penis and I hope that this new stage to do it again because you have to exploit that side so what is a good plus size and give a lecture and the other actors who act in the series that made ​​mere hours naked and covering the walk are not to see your penis the truth is I do not like the preacher in the series, if you teach it in and not walk sign esque actors causing or are ashamed of their penis size and they could lose their bonuses, gentlemen we know that all men have different size please see Mr. meloni and you will see that he does not give anything of her physical shame that is to be an actor in the whole extent of the word good now Mr. Meloni congratulations

Comment by herbert – December 13, 2011 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WoW,more newbies less of our faves in scenes? Pardon me but did you get a look at this Meloni guys forehead…. NOT attractive

Comment by Alchamilla – December 13, 2011 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot believe some of the comments I’ve read… Can you people NOT separate the books from the show? It’s a tv show people …. Just enjoy it

Comment by Lisa – December 13, 2011 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be interesting to see some new characters, atleast they didn’t decide to put in frankenstine , goblins or zombies!.

Comment by Daniel kowalczyk – December 13, 2011 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • za cooolest

Comment by kells – December 14, 2011 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it’s not like they use the great content of the books for story. It’s too bad because the show had such potential after the 1st season. Sorry to say that last season only had about 1 1/2 good episodes :(

Comment by Tyler – December 14, 2011 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad he’s on True blood …he’s my favorite on any show… especially Oz…

Comment by Rosa – December 14, 2011 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • should be good that guy is creepy even when he plays a good guy

Comment by ba – December 14, 2011 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Chris Meloni.

Comment by colossus – December 14, 2011 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will never understand people that say they will never watch a show without so and so or how can they do anything else. That is just well I do not want to insult anyone. Actors need change. Chris was great as Stabler, but I did not realize how truly good he was until I saw him in OZ and I think he will be terrific in TB. Now I did not see anywhere in the article where it said he was going to be Eric’s maker as that just was not said above. I have read the Sookie books and the series is absolutely nothing like it so they can do pretty much anything they want at this point as I think of them as separate story lines anymore. I think the new season will be great.

Comment by DLJ – December 14, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Using words like “titties” shows alot of class! I am sure u get alot of dates with that kind of language !!

Comment by Trubldfan – December 14, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh You give the best scoops, Loved him on Oz and Svu, Hopin Nude nude scenes from him :) although I do hope they give us a quin Just I can’t see him as her interest but I can see him as a bad ass giving Eric and Bill some vamp scare or a svu through down

Comment by deborahof the Dead – December 14, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s wonderfull! I love chris Meloni, and i love true blood

Comment by vanilzete medeiros – December 14, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not the sane without stabler he needs to come back to Olivia and the svu squad!!!!!!

Comment by mari boche – December 14, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There has been talks about him maybe being a guest star on SVU next season but nothing is anywhere near set in stone sadly :(

Comment by Shaina – December 16, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just one question..isnt chris meloni on law and order now?? love him on that show when I see it..he is so perfect with his partner..they are quite a pair..someone please answer me…

Comment by phyllis morris – December 30, 2011 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post