Exclusive

It's Official: Chris Meloni Joins True Blood as a Series Regular -- Exclusive New Details!

That noise you hear is the sound of Twitter exploding into a million little pieces over the following news: After weeks of negotiations, Chris Meloni is officially joining True Blood as a series regular in Season 5.

According to executive producer Alan Ball, the former Law & Order: SVU front man will play, “An ancient, powerful vampire who holds the fate of Bill and Eric in his hands.”

Major True Blood Spoiler Alert: Meet Eric’s Vampire “Sister”

The gig brings Meloni back into the HBO fold for the first time since his days on Oz. It also mark a high-profile return to the small screen for the upcoming Man of Steel actor following his sudden departure from SVU last spring.

Urgent Notice: I’ll be revealing more details about Meloni’s vamp alter ego in the next 24 hours on Twitter, so best start following me at @MichaelAusiello now!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Carrie says:

So maybe one of the Authority Council vamps?!

• deedee says:

I WANT STABLER BACK AT SVU NOT SAME WITHOUT HIM NOLIVIA TOGETHER

• Chastity says:

I’m thinking Appius Livius Ocella, Eric’s true maker (in the book), since there’s a teaser about meeting Eric’s vampire sister (although in the book it was a brother)

• Tara says:

That would be a good one, but how would they explain Godric then? It is common knowledge that on the show, he is Eric’s maker, not Appius.

• jogrondin says:

they have to deviate from the book a bit in any series they do,HP,twilight,all of em,but id say if hes comin in as the all time elder here,and is bein cast as some how eriks maker,id have to say that meloni’s new role would b the one who made gofric to begin with,the eldest of the elders,who knows really,but all i do kno is hbo needs to make more than 12 friggin episodes per season,especially seein how we all wait a YEAR to even see it,then its gone in 3 months,i h8 that,they claim its to give us the best true blood possible,but i dont see much difference in season 4 from season 1,weird stuff happenin,vamps,wolves,shifters,come on,lets get serious and we need WAY more jessica,titties and all,she is the hottest chik on tv rite now,hands down

• Heather G says:

He also had a sister

• Ohnoes says:

I think they didn’t want to get into the whole Erics brother was a small frail child that appius forced him to do terrible things with him after being changed…very not TV friendly things that i don’t think alan ball wanted to touch with a 10 foot pole i am okay with the change of characters

• Lucy says:

Yeah, but as who? Because if he’s one of the weretigers, They will kill the show…And I would hate for that to happen!

• lorna says:

JC how many new series regulars/recurring characters will there be? It’s going to be GA- our faves get only a few mins because of stupid newbies like April. Gah.

• Tina says:

Why is this new info if the date is still November 29th?

2. AndyLuvr says:

This is like manna from heaven: Chris Meloni returning to the network that gave us “Oz” and a glimpse of all things Meloni! Make it happen, Universe!!!

3. Deion says:

That Meloni has been dying to get back on a cable show where he can have gratuitous nude scenes?

4. maiv says:

Dream come true! Looking forward to his next roles after SVU!

5. Analysis Paralysis says:

Wow, as if there weren’t enough people masturbating while watching this show!
    I hope they make his character as dark as Keller on Oz.

6. emmitwest says:

Squee? It’ll be tough to see Stabler in any other role.

• Kvivik says:

Sorry, It was harder for me to accept Meloni as Stabler after the amazing performances he gave as Keller in OZ.

• AndyLuvr says:

It was fun when there was the overlap between “Oz” and “SVU” – one week you’d see Chris Keller displaying his entire body in an attempt to seduce Rita Moreno and then get it on with Lee Tergesen’s Tobias Beecher and on “SVU” he’s all covered up doing the boring procedural crime stuff.

• steph says:

Even harder watching him in Harold and Kumar.

• Wendell says:

Stabler is actually vicious serial killer with penchant for handsome guys. He had you fooled. There was never any “Stabler”

7. aleksa says:

So… shirtless? I’m pro-shirtless.

8. Cocoanilla says:

YES!!!! He was the star of one of my fav shows & heading over to another. I’m thrilled!!!

9. Mrs. A says:

yes Yes YES! Absolutely. If this doesn’t go through someone has some explaining to do.

10. Tad says:

OH MY GOD!! This has to happen. It would be absolute perfection.

11. ggny says:

wasnt really looking forward to new season of True Blood after last seasons fairy crapfest but this makes me look forward to True Blood again

• ggny says:

i mean witches crapfest not fairies

• Teresa says:

Obviously you havent read the books or you wouldnt be talking smack about true blood!!!If you read the books it explains it all;and it makes sense.

• Wendy says:

I have read the books but, True Blood is very loosly based on them. That’s why people are confused they changed Eric’s story with the Godric storyline(Which I loved Godric)and they killed off Claudine too early and not in the way she dies in the books. Still no Niall etc. Ijust wish they would follow the books more closely.

When I saw Meloni as being cast in True Blood I immediately thought Quinn. But, I was wrong since he is going to be a vampire. My guess is the new Magister or Andre.

12. Snapy says:

Excellent!! And we know from Oz he’ll do full-frontal nudity! YUM!!! :D

13. Marc says:

I’d love to see Christopher Meloni on True Blood, he is awesome. He made OZ & SVU just insn’t the same w/o him. Bring him back to TV now!

14. Ashley says:

I will never be able to accept Chris as anything other than Elliot Stabler :’(

15. TBGURL says:

I love how anyone tries to guess! They NEVER follow the books, so there is no point guessing who it could be! They rarely even cast properly!

James Frain was completely miscast as the dapper suave Fraklin Mott! He was easily Mickey!!!

Anyhoo, excited non the less…lol

16. Jessica says:

He gave up $400,000 per episode for that???????? Duh. Sorry, but I will never forgive him for ruining my favorite show…

• captain skirt says:

He played the same character in your favorite show during what? Twelve years? Whatever he does, I get that one needs to change and not be self complacent. I think you should try and get over it. Would you do the same thing over and over again if you had the luxury to shake things up? It’s a bold move and he should have done it earlier. Like five years ago. Better late than never I guess… He’s an amazing actor, fearless. SVU was too safe. He’s better in chalenging roles, like Keller. Just my two cents…

• Jessica says:

For 8 million a year, yes I would do the same thing over and over and be damn lucky to do so! Seriously, who else is going to pay him that much? He was the star and now he’s going to take bit parts for personal growth and less money because he was bored?? I don’t feel sorry for him and think he was nuts to give up the golden goose. At least he could have did it mid season last year so all of us shippers could have had some closure after waiting 12 damn years for nothing!

• Thom says:

Ah, Jessica. I hope someday you find work that you love so much it changes your mind.

• Jessica says:

When I’m the star of a hit tv show that has made me 100 million dollars, ask me if I won’t stay one or two more seasons until the show ends, rather than be jobless and have to audition for bit parts on vampire shows and a D-list movie roles…

• Ben says:

If I had 100 million dollars I sure as f**k hope I would stop letting money make my decisions. Jesus Christ, some people are greedy.

• sockpuppet says:

Haha! Exactly, just how much money does he need to make off of SVU before he’s allowed to enjoy his money? If you worked at a job you didn’t like, and then won the lottery, you would sure quit, wouldn’t you? It doesn’t matter that he made a lot of money there—he already HAS a lot of money. WHy should he keep doing the same job day in and day out for money?

• Jessica, you’re an idiot

17. Stephanie says:

He will always be Detective Elliot Stabler to me, regardless of how many people he kills.

18. laurie says:

OMG (repeat endlessly) my true love returning to me!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

19. ang says:

Preach on- to go from ‘Oz’ to ‘SVU’ was a transition for me too- I always expected Meloni to bite off JK Simmons’s face when he guest starred as the SVU shrink before he went to ‘The Closer’.

20. ang says:

Netflix ‘oz’ and ‘harold and kumar go to white castle’. You can thank me later :p

• brutus says:

YES! I love him in both harold and kumars. i was sad he wasnt in the 3rd one. He should have played the mob boss in 3, but he was great in 1 and 2, especially the wacked out guy with hot wife. He was fantastic in OZ and only reason I watched SVU. I have watched oz 4 times now and he is one of the main reasons. He was fantastic with beacher!

• Rachel says:

I would also suggest people check out Wet Hot American Summer….classic!

21. Snsetblaze says:

I remember when he was on “First and Ten” for a season. I didn’t get to see last season as I don’t have HBO. I watch it later. I hope he joins the cast. I think he’d make a good Quinn if the powers that be ever decide to introduce that character.

22. Nate says:

Chris Meloni on True Blood? This news has me so excited, I need to go fondle my sweaters.

23. Melissa says:

YAAAAAAAAY!!! Dream come true. SVU sux w/o him. So excited if this comes to fruition.

24. squeezit says:

Meloni would make perfect casting as Quinn.

• Toni says:

That was my first thought…

• ~kk says:

that was my first thought too, but Quinn isn’t a vampire! (assuming we believe the story has its facts straight….)

Also, he seems just a little too old to be paired with Anna Paquin. Not too old for ME, though!! :- )

• Rachel says:

Well when you look at it Meloni and Moyer are only about 8 years apart and Anna Paquin is married to Moyer. But yes the 10ish years between Paquin and Moyer does seem more socially acceptable than the 20ish that would be between her and Meloni.

• Deb says:

Gross, definantly not. I love Meloni, but when I think of Quinn he is not what I picture at all!

25. Bad Breaker says:

Now that would be one badass vampire !

26. DL says:

Chris Meloni + Alan Ball = Win

27. silvia says:

Omg plz let this be true!i love Chris Meloni!!!!

28. em says:

God, I hope it’s true. This would be awesome casting scoop!

29. Heather says:

OH please oh please.. Chris back on TV, and CABLE!! Yes, HBO + Vampire + Chris = HEAVEN! He would be perfect for this, and NOT just because I want him back on TV.. :)

30. Sofia says:

Love him! I think he will be a great addition.

31. Steve costa says:

Anybody else thinking maybe hell be Quinn ?

• tma6469 says:

That was my first thought too… though quinn had more of a mr. clean vibe in my head when I read the books. I’d get behind it though.

• Ashley says:

I highly doubt they’ll introduce the character of Quinn at all. They aren’t doing one book per season anymore (confirmed at comic con) and they definitely aren’t going to do anything resembling books 5 and 6. I’m guessing they are skipping ahead to book 8 and up. They’ve moved the story ahead so much with all the fairies being introduced and Hunter and killing QSA. Plus, there’s always Alcide as the fling that inevitably won’t last if they want to do that.

I’m hoping Chris Meloni is cast as some version of Victure Madden. That would be awesome. :)

• Ashley says:

Oops, meant *Victor Madden

• Wendy says:

I totally forgot about Victor Madden. I was thinking new Magister or Andre. If they were following the books maybe I would agree. But, True Blood does not do as we expect because, Bill does not become King of LA. Felipe does Bill is just the investigator. So i guess we will just have to wait and see.
        I would be more apt to believe that Russell was a combination of Felipe, Victor and maybe even Andre. In the book Russell is not a villianous character.

• sockpuppet says:

um did any of you read the tiny article above where they mention that he will be cast as an ancient vampire? A lot of wasted speculation because of laziness.

32. melonifanforever says:

The Universe had heard my prayers! The raw sexuality and acting talent of Chris Meloni can only make this show better. My favorite show with my favorite actor. Wow, feels like my birthday and Christmas all wrapped into one. Thank you Michael, you always have the best scoops.

33. Simi says:

Oooooh, maybe QUINN????

34. Fudgefase says:

LOVE Chris Meloni. SVU is flailing around without him. He was the heart of that show. As TB is one of my fave shows, I REALLY hope they get him on. AWESOME!

35. Eric Kane says:

Please, please, PLEASE take your pants off Mr. Meloni!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. BJohnson says:

I agree, I attempted to watch SVU the other day and it was such a bore breaking in the new characters. I just got my HBO subscription back and that would be AWESOME!

37. Alberto says:

Naked, naked, naked!!!!!!! Awesome news!!! XD

38. sarah says:

So I guess i will have to start watching True Blood now, hmm Tv is awful without my secret Tv boyfriend!

39. Tania says:

Oh my!! Awesome news!

40. Pam says:

Chris Meloni in SVU did nothing for me but I loved him as Freakshow in the Harold & Kumar movies! He was soo funny, which I was not expecting.

As for him playing Quinn… I don’t see it. Plus I thought I read that Alcide was taking that role as Sookie’s luvah.

41. xA says:

BEST NEWS EVER…

42. TV Fan says:

I hope this happens, it would be awesome. I would love to see Eric and Bill do battle against his character, which I am sure would be the “King” of the authority. Make it happen TB. LOL

43. Dee says:

WOW! Would have never seen this coming but I would love to see him on TB!

44. carrington says:

LOVE this guy and he is sorely missed on SVU

45. Davina says:

Wow, that is fantastic news! I miss him on SVU, been a fan of his for probably 15 years or more. He would make a fantastic addition to True Blood.

46. May says:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG SFHASKLFJSDLGFIO4Y5928584TIODFNVIOVKN I CANNOT EVEN HANDLE THIS RIGHT NOW. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED HIM IN OZ AS CHRIS KELLER AND DET ELLIOT STABLER IN L&O: SVU. NOW TB?!?!?! OMG. I’M SO HAPPY. HOPEFULLY THIS IS TRUE. I MISS SEEING HIM ON TV. i bet he’s going to be a part of the authority council. i see him as the vamp that believes in rehab…

47. Sara says:

I’ll bite.

48. chloe says:

I am a major Law and Order SVU fan and i just hate to see Chris go….I dont think I could see him playing the role of a vampire after all the his part in the best show ever (SVU)

49. Phil says:

Who pays you to write this nonsense He quit SVU cause he wanted more money & you think he would go to True Blood for 1/10th his SVU Salary Per Episode? Really? For those that don’t know Cable Shows do not pay anything in the ballpark for actors on Network Shows unless the show is built around them to begin with like Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad. This is total PR BS done to generate Stabler’s name to try to get him more offers from the Networks. Don’t believe me? Wait and see.

• AShley says:

True Blood is HBOs biggest hit.

Not only that, but he would only have to film 6 months out of the year, and that’s only IF he’s a regular.

So he’d still have 6 months to work on other projects, and also get the money and exposure from TB.

50. JohnDoe says:

It would be kind of funny to see him play an Authority vamp. He would probably last until Russell kills him.