Pentatonix Wins Season 3 of NBC's The Sing-Off

Pentatonix, a cutting-edge quintet from Arlington, TX, scored a Sony Music recording contract and $200,000 by winning the Season 3 of The Sing-Off, NBC’s a capella Olympics, on Monday night.

Dartmouth Aires, the Ivy League college’s oldest a capella club, finished second, while Denver-based octet Urban Method finished third.

Watch the members of Pentatonix — Mitch Grassi, Scott Hoying, Avi Kaplan, Kirstin Maldonado and Kevin Olusola — in their winning moment below, then sound off in the comments with your feelings on The Sing Off’s third season.

Bonus! The Top 3 acts performing “The Way You Make Me Feel”! (Wonder if this was planned before or after they knew The X Factor was tackling the Michael Jackson songbook this week.)

Comments (36)

• They totally deserved it.

Comment by ATLgroove – November 29, 2011 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pentatonix were very imaginative, but honestly I would have been happy with any of the top three winning. All made really good music. Urban Method actually made me like some rap music. Dartmouth Aires were great. Love the show. I think they ruined it’s chances of coming back by moving it to a regular time slot in Sept. instead of the “Christmas season”, but I hope it will possibly come back in its old time slot next year. I have really enjoyed all three seasons. I also think this show has THE MOST USEFUL judges on any of the singing competitions and other shows should look to adopt their judging style. Loved the show, hope it comes back, but I don’t have high hopes for it to come back.

Comment by L – November 29, 2011 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree about the timing of the season. I think it worked best when it didn’t have so much scripted television to compete with. It was a nice reprieve during the usual winter hiatus. Fingers crossed for a new winter season.

And very many congrats to Pentatonix. It was truly well deserved. I will be one of the firsts to download their first album.

Comment by DrewH – November 29, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad Pentatonix won, I’m excited to see what they do as I think they could really be successful. I’m happy you finally covered this show Michael, it’s so much fun and such a great vocal showcase

Comment by Daisy5 – November 29, 2011 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw man…….come one TVLine can’t a girl get some spoiler tags here! I haven’t watched the whole episode yet, but I guess I know who won know.

Now knowing Pentatonix won, I’m not sure I even want to watch the rest of the episode. I can’t stand their male lead. The other four are amazing, but I just can’t stand that guy.

I wish it was Dartmouth Aires, even though they sort of became Michael and the Dartmouth Aires.

Comment by Anne – November 29, 2011 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you don’t want to know who won a reality TV competition until you’re ready to watch it, then we all suggest you don’t come to a site called TVline.

There’s nothing more annoying than people who complain about Spoilers the day AFTER. It’s only a spoiler if it tells you what’s GOING TO happen. It’s ALREADY happened.

No offense, just use a little common sense.

Comment by ATLgroove – November 29, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Normally, I’m all for spoiler alerts, but not with competition shows. You don’t expect to not see the score for a football game if you go to the espn website do you? If you haven’t watched a competition type show, don’t go to any website that might have the info.

Comment by Amanda – November 29, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They probably thought they were safe coming here because tvline has pretty much ignored The Sing Off all season. #stillbitter #slezakdroppedtheball- @MDoolittle Rocks!

Comment by Denise – November 29, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • totally with Anne and Denise on this one! Usually the titles to these are “Do you agree with the winner of .” I didn’t expect it to just be smack dab in the title!

Comment by abcd – November 29, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I too noticed the lack of Sing Off tidbits on tvline…I was kind of disappointed because I really love the show, and would have liked to have read recaps or opinion pieces on here about it. :/

Comment by Robin – November 29, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are some pretty awesome performances from last night’s show. Watch it for those.

Comment by Meg – November 29, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with you about the most useful judges! However, I was disappointed that Sean did not sing with one of the groups.

Comment by Kim – November 29, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey TVLine .. could you keep such spoilers out of your headlines? Be kind for those of us with RSS feeds and DVRs!!!!!!!

Comment by TiVoGuy – November 29, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please. I understand that the show has aired already, but it’s barely been 12 hours. I can usually avoid spoiler-y items easily enough, but when a headline like this one pops up in my RSS feed…it takes an awful lot of the fun out of watching the show.

DVRs aren’t new technology. I would bet that at least half of the people that visit or subscribe to this site regularly use one. And spoiler tagging headlines is generally standard practice, isn’t it? If not, it really should be.

That being said – I’m really glad Pentatonix won. I really enjoyed the Aires, but I think Pentatonix was the most innovative and exciting group to watch, overall.

Comment by DVRGirl – November 29, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t use RSS feeds! You don’t expect sports sites to not post the winner do you? Same goes for tv competion shows.

Comment by Amanda – November 29, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching this show after the judges eliminated North Shore, they were by far, the best group in the competition, the judges or sponsors just wanted a younger group to win this competition I doubt I will waste time again watching this show in the future.

Comment by Mark – November 29, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • North Shore was entertaining to be sure but not the best in the group by far. You are very unfair to put in ageism as a reason for the winner. The judges on the Sing Off are some of the best on TV right now — providing honest and constructive criticisms to ALL of the groups. North Shore had an off night when they were eliminated; it had nothing to do with their age. It’s a shame you can’t put your own prejudices aside.

Comment by CA – November 29, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. The judges are professional and eliminated groups based on sound and talent, not age. Last year, the “old” group, made it to the finals…Jerry Lawson’s group. They were a bunch of older men. It was the viewers who voted them not to win. So, I don’t believe the judges are ageists.

Comment by Ann – November 29, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well the prize of the show is a recording contract so they have to find a group that would have successful album sales and radio play. North Shore is extremely talented and I would love to see them in concert but I can’t imagine hearing their songs on the radio.

Comment by noeladd – November 29, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So ageism is at work because you didn’t get your desired results? Perhaps you just have bad taste in accapella.

Comment by Michael – November 29, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy that Pentatonix won, but I would have been happy with the Aires winning as well. I didn’t really care of Urban Method. I thought the show last night didn’t really live up to the rest of the season. Just seem like no one sang as well has the had been up until then. Little disappointed that Shawn did sing as well. And while Smokey is great seemed like that performance with Afro Blue went on forever. Again, not near as good or inventive as the rest of the season, but better than Idol and X factor!

Comment by Tina – November 29, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVline, why’d you have to spoil it? I’m on the road for work, have the show DVRed at home, and was looking forward to returning tonight to watch the finale. I still will, but this makes it incredibly anti-climactic!

Comment by David – November 29, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Delilah was my favorite, but Pentatonix was a close second, so I was very happy with the result. I loved the Aires as well, but Pentatonix is more likely to have a decent recording career than the Aires. I am hoping next week’s Christmas episode will have lots of Jeremy & Street Corner Symphony… the best the Sing Off has ever seen!

Comment by Erin – November 29, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t thrilled with Pentatonix first song tonight,it sounded weird.But I enjoyed the song they had with the Pro,was very nice.So glad they won!!

Comment by shaun – November 29, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A girl on the winning team? Amazing!

Comment by Gabriel – November 29, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pentatonix really have great potential as a relevant recording group in the industry today. They were not my favorite group at the beginning…but there were so many groups and such talented groups throughout the competition…I was truly amazed by some of the performances. I didn’t vote – but mostly because I couldn’t decide who to vote for…but if I had I am pretty certain I would have voted for Pentatonix. I really had a feeling they were going to win.

Comment by Robin – November 29, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t watched the past two weeks yet, but so glad PTX won. I voted for them like 30 times on the website. They’re the most consistent and creative of this year’s groups and they deserved the top spot.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 29, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, Mikie….. Where have you been ALL Sing-off Season long?

I know, : watching stupid dancers, watching stupid cooking shows, ETC.

I really missed you NOT reviewing this past Great season.

And Pentatonix was my fav, but I liked at least 4 other groups.

N8

Comment by Alienate – November 29, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Shawn was in Japan with Boyz II Men. That is probably why he didn’t sing with anyone. He didn’t have time to rehearse.

Comment by LissaB99 – November 29, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so friggin happy that Pentatonix won. they were consistently good and creative and fun and make so much music and production with just five voices. they were amazing. so so glad Dartmouth Aires lost because i though their lead Michael was so annoying and wasn’t even that great of a lead. they ruined Midnight Train to Georgia.

Comment by Cindy – November 29, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spoiler alert! Thanks so much for ruining my finale with a shoddy Headline

Comment by Tim – November 29, 2011 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, so glad to FINALLY see a nod to the ONLY truly enjoyable singing competition on TV (IMO, of course). I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pentatonix, and think they TOTALLY deserved to win. I’ll be looking for their recordings going forward (already have all that’s for sale from the season on iTunes, of course). If anyone hasn’t heard their version of the Christmas carol We Three Kings from the Sing-Off’s current Christmas album, by all means check it out.

A nod too to the Aires and to Afro Blue, who I think should have been in the finale instead of Urban Method, but really, this show has SO MUCH MORE ACTUAL MUSIC than ANY of its competitors, I’m just happy as a clam to watch at all.

The Sing-Off is the ANTI-X Factor, the ANTI-Idol. Its competitors have to actually SING – imagine that! – with no help from production tricks, no distraction by way of dancers and flashy (literally) sets, not even any musicians. And sing they do, for the most part very well indeed.

I gave up on X Factor very quickly – can’t stand it; I will probably give Idol a shot out of habit if for no other reason. But with its simple, no-nonsense production, knowledgeable real-musician judges, and talented singers who have no need for AutoTune, I really ENJOYED The Sing-Off and hope it’s back again next season.

Comment by marie – November 30, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Christmas album uses TONS of auto tune. You can hear it very clearly, even if you don’t have a trained ear. There is a very identifiable arrangement style as well across most of the songs…I’d bet you a single individual arranged multiple…if not most of the songs. ( and that individual actually has a good ear for harmonic movements)

The really funny thing is that for all the judges’ insistence that they voted Afro Blue off because they had to pick a group that would have commercial appeal…and ” Jazz group wouldn’t work for the record companies ” …. most of the songs on that Christmas album lean on jazz harmony.

Hilarious.

Comment by TDan – December 30, 2011 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, and by the way, Michael: I don’t think The Sing-Off has to pay any attention at all to X Factor in terms of planning their own far superior show, so my guess is that whether or not the Sing-Off producers were aware of an X Factor Michael Jackson theme week, there was no resulting impact on song choice for the Sing-Off contestants.

Comment by marie – November 30, 2011 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a little late chiming in but oh my gosh, some of these kids were so darned talented it nearly brought me to tears. I loved this show, I loved the judges, and I really hope it’s back next year.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – December 2, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been so disappointed with you Michael for not covering Sing-Off. As others have stated, it is the best singing competition on TV. The people can really sing and the judges are so much better than the other shows (now that Nicole left for X-Factor). The X-factor is a huge disappointment and the only good thing about the Voice is the comic relief of Blake. Will not be watching Christina and her bouncing boobs again this season.

Comment by JoyScout – December 5, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post