Ratings: CBS Repeats Sweep Night, Dixie Delivers Demo High, Sing-Off Finale Hits Low Note

A run of CBS repeats won every half hour this Monday night, opposite originals from Fox, NBC and The CW as well as the Grinch and Shrek. All told, 2 Broke Girls led the night in the coveted 18-49 demo, while Two and a Half Men bazillionpeated as Monday’s most-watched program.

Going hour-by-hour….

8 pm | The CBS sitcombo of How I Met Your Mother (8 million total viewers, 2.9 rating) and Broke Girls (9.2 mil/3.3) bested ABC’s animated twosome of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (7.7 mil/2.5) and Shrek the Halls (7.7 mil/2.6), both of which were up from their 2010 showings. Terra Nova placed third with 7.2 mil and a 2.2, up 11 and 5 percent, respectively.

The Sing-Off finale, at 6.4 mil and a 1.7, plunged 25 and 37 percent from its Season 2 closer. Gossip Girl (1.34 mil/0.6) held steady in viewers but dropped 14 percent in the demo.

Video: Watch The Sing-Off Reveal This Season’s Winner

9 pm | Trailing CBS’ Men (9.7 mil/3.1) and Mike & Molly (8.5 mil/2.7), House drew 7.33 mil and a 2.6, ticking up 4 percent in the demo. ABC’s You Deserve It feel-good quiz show, away from the safe hardbor of a DWTS lead-in, shed 50 percent of its audience to muster just 4.36 million viewers while scoring a 1.4 rating. Hart of Dixie (1.9 mil/0.8) gained 8 and 14 percent to deliver its best demos ever and its third-most watched episode.

Gossip Girl Recap: Truth and Lies Come Out

10 pm | A reheated Hawaii Five-0 domianted with 7.85 million total viewers and a 2.1 rating, besting Castle‘s own repeat (5.5 mil/1.3). NBC’s Rock Center seized an opportunbity to surge some 33 percent to its best numbers to date: just shy of 5 million viewers and a 1.2 rating.

Tags:

Comments (43)

• Whoa, the almighty House with a brand new spanking episode falls to CBS REPEATS. That’s just sad, LOL. Let Hugh go do his music full-time like he wants.

Comment by JMoFan – November 29, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • House was actually a really good episode last night. This season is very much like the first few seasons.

Comment by maggie – November 29, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah NO unfortunatly it is not AT ALL like the first few SEASON

Comment by erin – November 29, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is ridiculous, CBS wins on repeats. Terra Nova and House this season are officially epic failures, no more plausible excuses.

Comment by Wow – November 29, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey now, that’s only because… um, yesterday was… Cyber Monday!
      Yes, that’s it–people were too busy shopping online to watch Fox and CBS clearly just… uh–to hell with you!

Comment by Saint Alicia – November 29, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Whether or not a show on one network gets better ratings than a show on another network means absolutely nothing. House is fighting Terra Nova, Bones, Glee, et al for a new season. It’s okay, three-minute Google searches on this kind of basic stuff scare me, too. What if Google finishes my sentence for me and I end up looking up the wrong thing?!

Also, it went up two weeks in a row. Funny how we forget to mention that as the nitpicking has gone from “the ratings suck” to “the ratings suck worse than [insert X show here]“, two very different conversations.

Comment by D – November 29, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Are you serious? House’s ratings suck against other shows and against its own performance last year. That’s the blatant fact no one questions any more. The most interesting part was the explanation as to why that happened. Yesterday, due to repeats, was the first time when it became possible to see how CBS’s power shows affected House’s viewership. And guess what, apparently they didn’t. People don’t watch House this season because they don’t want to, period. There is nothing to celebrate.

Comment by @D – November 29, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Again, a little research will tell you that’s always been the case(viewership of other networks rarely effect House). Isn’t that a good thing? That no other show has any impact on House, and it stands on its own, as opposed to “Welp, Dancing With the C-Listers isn’t on!” And “down from last year” is such a cop-out excuse to whine, you could say that for every season since the fourth one. And plenty of other shows besides House.

Comment by D – November 30, 2011 04:54 AM PDT
          • Nope, in case of House this season the last year ratings are not an excuse. The plunge it took this year is far BEYOND the scope of age depreciation, do a little research on your own and read the people who analyze TV ratings for living.

If the show retains its viewers despite the elements, it’s a good thing. But if it doesn’t regain any even without competition – that the wrong kind of consistency. For advertisers it’s the last nail in the coffin. Sorry.

Comment by to D – November 30, 2011 06:35 AM PDT
    • Once the ratings are adjusted for DVR views, the ratings for House will go up. It’s always on the list of most DVR’d shows.

Comment by maggie – November 29, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Every show goes up after DVR adjustment. It means absolutely nothing for advertisers.

Comment by @maggie – November 29, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well… if you believe Nielsen, which no one should. Of course, CBS will look best to Nielsen, because the blue-hairs are actually the only group that sill watches TV traditionally. Frankly, the ratings are hogwash.

Comment by tarc – November 29, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad I miss the SING OFF finale but it was great though and I don’t know if NBC could renewed it for another season. CBS repeats continues to dominate year after year. Suddenly for Fox, they better end HOUSE during the show’s eight year run so that Hugh Laurie can focus on his new career as a musician and TERRA NOVA could spell the end of this sci-fi series ’til the December 19th finale.

Comment by kevin – November 29, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Nielson families actually watch television anymore. They just turn on CBS and go about doing their business using the television as background noise. I watched Terra Nova and Hart of Dixie last night -but it doesn’t matter what I watch. My viewership doesn’t count because I’m not a Nielsen family member. Does anyone REALLY know what America watches?

Comment by Lauren – November 29, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope, they are required to punch in their codes every 10 minutes or so to confirm that they were watching, otherwise it won’t count. The system is old and needs rehauling, obviously.

Comment by @Lauren – November 29, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • wow! I thinking punching in a code every 10 minutes would make me not want to be in a Nielson house. LOL That would get annoying!

Comment by MANDY – November 29, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When was last year’s Sing-of Finale? I remember it being closer to Christmas.

Comment by Tia – November 29, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • December 20-ish.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 29, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season of The Sing Off was great! Such a shame that more people didn’t watch AND such a shame that tvline did not recap! :)

Comment by Denise – November 29, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS gets pretty good numbers for being all repeats! I didn’t watch anything last night, although now I’m wishing I’d DVRed The Grinch. :(

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – November 29, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Dixie go up a little bit. I really enjoy that show. It’s just sugary fun.

Comment by Potch – November 29, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way to domiant, Hawaii Five-0!

Comment by CJ – November 29, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all due respect to Harry Smith (whom I like and wish was still on The Early Show on CBS), I’m glad Rock Center is a failure in the ratings. Can’t stand Brian Williams. He is the worst of the news anchors (even Katie Couric had more journalistic chops than he does) and I hate his smug attitude trying to come off as friendly and warm. The fact that a NEW news magazine can’t beat repeats of Castle and Hawii Five-O is pretty sad for NBC.

Comment by dan – November 29, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Hart of Dixie.

Comment by Lisa – November 29, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God I love Stephen Lang. He can chuck flaming spears at me any time he likes. I’m not feeling the Sing Off this year; they don’t have any adorable beatbox girls or scrappy Memphis hotties like last year. The performers were way too Idol for my taste, I like a sequined vest as much as the next Plum but a little goes a long way.

NBC made it’s bed by dissing the 10 pm drama and now it has to lay in it; or lay in it with Comcast.

Comment by Plum – November 29, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too re Stephen Lang. Good Terra Nova last night. I hope it is renewed.

Comment by Renee – November 29, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Hart of Dixie, and I’m excited for town traditions like Planksgiving to stick around. It was nice to see character development in Lemon this week. I haven’t liked her all too much in episodes thus far, but I find her growing on me. I also really like Zoe and Wade together, but I understand the writers making us wait and building up the sexual tension. Really loving this show! Read more of my thoughts on this episode at http://www.tvmovielove.com/hart-of-dixie-%E2%80%93-the-pirate-and-the-practice-%E2%80%93-planksgiving

Comment by Beth – November 29, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Congrats to Hart Of Dixie, I know we can make it to 2 million again, im praying next week we next past 2 million.

Comment by fernando – November 29, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again a few people with a box, gets to decide what the viewing habbits of the rest of the country are!! REALLY! America wants to watch dumb repeats. Neilson is so outdated its laughable.

Comment by Kath G – November 29, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • These are RANDOM people, they don’t get to decide anything. They serve as a statistical representation, nothing else. While the measurement methods are outdated, the randomness is not. So yes, that’s what America wanted to watch ON AVERAGE.

Comment by to Kath – November 29, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • [House still rules!! But Bcuz of the crappy Terra Nova not leading well @ 8 we losing power(viewers) and things will be very different in January when rtrn at their original time slot..and will regain our sarcastic Mondays ....and even if last night episode was not the best...the houseVSwilson prankfest was pretty enjoyable and better to watch repeats or the predictable CBS line up!!!

Comment by Jules – November 29, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is NBC an epic fail? Because they make decisions like taking a small success like “The Sing-Off” and put it up against DWTS! It’s definitely one of NBC’s seriously “WTH were they thinking” moves. It’s like they WANTED to tank that show. The ratings for the finale were actually up for the show in terms of this year’s ratings. Of course, at this point, NBC’s lucky anyone notices WHAT they have on.

Comment by Joy – November 29, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hart will get their ratings jump when they finally get George and Zoe together. Now they could REALLY hit a ratings homerun if they would cast guestcast Adam Brody!

Comment by RichieS – November 29, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ew. More like when Zoe and Wade finally get together. IMO, I don’t think the George & Wade thing is even a competition.. at least not in this season. Engagements can end, but George has Lemon. I don’t see them just breaking up this season and him right away dating Zoe. I think at the end it’s going to be between Lavon/Lemon/George & Wade/Zoe will be together.

Comment by Jane – November 29, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt – I’m itching to know your opinion. I know Terra Nova was only picked up for 13 episodes this season, but what do you think it’s chances are for a season two? My husband keeps picking shows that don’t last long…

Comment by Toni – November 29, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Hart of Dixie and I love Zoe/Wade so much

Comment by tessa – November 29, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nielson is automated, not like the old days when you had to write it down. Every 45 mins or so you simply click a button. It’s not a huge deal- but can be a pain in a s s when you forget. As a Nielsen family, I continue to be shocked as week after week many shows I’ve never even looked at continue to get high ratings. (Makes me feel a bit like what I’m doing doesn’t count since 2 of the shows I did like got cancelled.) It does seem a bit unfair.

Comment by Its a secret! – November 29, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad Hart of Dixie is catching on with viewers. This show is so … relaxing…. No violent crime to solve, likeable characters, fun plot lines (loved Planksgiving), good looking men who sometimes take their shirts off. What’s not to love?

Comment by econruth – November 29, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, we watch… There are no codes, just buttons to log you in & out, and also to remind the box you’re still there when it ‘asks’. :)

Comment by Its a secret! – November 29, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know you have to put a spin on these things, but why mention the negative side of The Sing-Off (ratings down from last season’s finale) and not mention the positive (the show received its highest ratings of the season)? I’m not trying to defend the show or anything, it’s just that the perspective you put it in seemed a little weird to me.

Comment by Devin – November 29, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anytime you got a Chair centered episode you know the ratings will be low…Learn something from it GG writers and move on from this Chair nonsense. Its dead.

Comment by Hojana – November 29, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can use statistics to make anything appear any way you want.

Instead of saying Sing-off was DOWN 30% from last years finale, you could have said “Sing-off was UP almost 22% from last weeks episode”.

6.4 million viewers was not bad considering to competition.

N8

Comment by Alienate – November 29, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want the meteor to wipe the cheesy lame mess “Terra Nova” out. I want Alcatraz NOW!!!

Comment by Petra – November 29, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post