Breaking: Has ABC Canceled Pan Am?

Pan Am CancelledHas Pan Am been grounded for good? Depends who you ask.

ABC is denying widespread reports that it has axed the struggling freshman drama.

The buzz picked up steam Tuesday shortly after one of the show’s stars, Karine Vanasse (aka Frenchwoman Colette), tweeted that the cast and crew “received THE call [that] Pan Am is only coming back for one more episode after Christmas. But up to the end, we’ll give it our all.”

In a statement, an ABC rep tells TVLine that the show remains in contention for next fall. “Pan Am will wrap production on its first season in early January after completion of its 14th episode. A decision about about a second season will be made in May.”

Earlier this month, ABC announced that new comedy GCB would assume Pan Am‘s Sunday at 10 pm timeslot beginning in March.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News

1. eunice says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I love this show! </3

• Sarah says:

I love this show too. I know LOTS of people that watch it and enjoy it. ABC irks me about making a decision in May to renew. If they had any backbone they would make their decision now and get it over with. The fact that they are waiting until May is SOOOOOO discouraging to the viewers! Viewers who seriously like the show are not even going to bother watching the last few episodes because of this. ABC Network is flighty and I am really getting tired of getting drawn into their shows, only for them to cancel them before they even give the shows a chance. Its all about the money first and the viewers second. Pitiful!

• lacey says:

I think when they say they’re waiting until May, they mean that it will depend on how well the new shows do. If GCB does well then most likely ABC will see no reason to keep Pan Am.

• red rose says:

waiting till May gives ABC a chance to see how international sales go. It’s a sensible commercial decision. If there’s a big international demand then ABC might go ahead with production despite lack of support from US audiences.

Saying ‘Viewers who seriously like the show are not even going to bother watching the last few episodes because of this..’ is a facile argument. If people like the show they will watch it to the end. If they don’t they won’t.

Saying ‘it’s all about the money first and the viewers second’ is a ridiculous statement. This is ABC we’re talking about, not PBS!!!!

• Kim Kindschi says:

I’m with you, Sarah! Bring the show back!!! We loved it!!!

• tarc says:

I think Pan Am is one of the better shows on ABC.

• Anne Puryear says:

This is a really fun, good series. Shame on you ABC if you cancel this one and left other “junk” on :(

• Blee says:

ABC once again never let this show find audience. . Detroit 187 suffered the same fate. Yet they keep crappy show like Revenge. And the Phoney…I love you show The Bachalor and the Bacholrett.

2. Rock Golf says:

Don’t think of Pan-Am as cancelled.

Think of it as… permanently grounded.

3. Becs says:

Heartbroke. So much love for this show. It had so much potential!

4. scorpo says:

This was never a good idea to begin with, look at what demographic would have nostalgia for this, certainly not a desirable one for advertisers. The Playboy Club was a far superior show but alas, not demographically desirable.

• Jim says:

“The Playboy Club was a far superior show…” Maybe on HBO with better writers and actors.

• Liz says:

^^this. The Playboy Club in theory would have been great, but it packed way too much in an hour time slot. I really wanted to like it because I love everything about the 1960’s, but I just couldn’t get into the Playboy Club.

• Rowan says:

You can consider “The Playboy Club” a superior show if that means trite dialogue, and Eddie Cibrian doing an imitation of John Hamm as Don Draper (as opposed to simply being Don Draper), and Amber Heard doing her best January Jones as Betty Draper as a Playboy Bunny, then yeah, “The Playboy Club is better. The show was terrible.

Pan Am had a good start, but the quality fell off almost immediately after the pilot. The only character I care about is Collette. The rest feel plastic and two-dimensional.

• cj says:

Colette IS the best character, and while I’d disagree that the rest are two dimensional, I’ll just leave it at Colette being horrifically underused. I’m actually kind of mad about how little they’ve used her.

• Julia says:

I watched both – the Playboy Club was terrible. The acting was awful and the premise had no legs (no pun intended).

• Sourabh says:

I’ve watched every aired episode of both. Pan Am was the better show. The Playboy Club was basically what we saw in the trailer, but Pan Am managed to surprise me.

• J says:

I agree. I couldn’t even get through the second episode of the Playboy Club (even though I love Amber Heard). But I am in LOVE with Panam.

• Jack says:

“look at what demographic would have nostalgia for this, certainly not a desirable one for advertisers.”
      –Please don’t insult us older viewers that way. The show tries to make gold digging, waitresses-in-the-sky look glamorous. We know better.

• Michael says:

The first eppy of this show was about 60 percent higher in the 18-49 demo than was The Playboy Club. You can’t compare the failures of the two shows nor can you say that Pan-Am didn’t start off with enough young people in the important demos. It faltered in retaining them.

And it’s hard for me to take you seriously when you say that a show starring Eddie Cibrian is better than…anything on network TV. The man is eye candy on his best days.

5. TheFinalMan says:

I hope this means we get to see Christina Ricci in something even better now. I watched about 4 episodes of Pan Am, but it was too weak. And DEFINITELY not enough Ricci.

6. Erin says:

Pan Am has been my favorite new show this season… so disappointing!

7. kessa says:

NOOOOOOO. I recently began watching this in the UK because it was fresh and different. why do the shows i watch always get axed? grrrrr. i hope its just a publicity hoax. please ABC do not axe PAN-AM!!!!

8. Sheldon says:

SO SAD. I love this show so much! Why ABC, why? :'(

Words cannot express how much i love this show… What a sad day :(

9. Samantha says:

Kind of a bummer because it’s been getting better these past few episodes.

10. Dizzle says:

Not that surprising, given that ABC already announced it’s replacement! Although how will they fill they hour until March? I suppose it’s too much to hope for Cougar Town and that new Apartment 23 show!

11. AT says:

The show has been getting better and better as they’ve been finding their voice. So it’s a pity that they’re going to cancel it. It’s certainly one of the most entertaining new shows.

12. alex says:

I quit this show a couple of weeks ago. The one good thing about it was Collette and she had less and less air time as the show progressed.

13. I like this show. The stories are entertaining, and most of the characters are very likable. The problem with it seems to be that it’s not terribly compelling; I’m never dying to see what happens next, but it’s always a pleasant watch when I do tune in.

14. Mikaylah says:

NO! I love this show. It is amazing, with great characters and story lines. I’m hoping they will reconsider by upfronts.

15. K says:

So they aren’t even going to air all 14 episodes now? What a shame.

• r0ckmypants says:

I think they meant they’re only going into production of one more episode after Christmas, not that they’re only airing one more episode. But since they scrapped episode 7 (“Romance Languages”) and probably can never air it due to continuity issues, the show probably will only end up getting 13 aired episodes.

• Kat says:

It seems weird that if they ordered more scripts and are still filming that they wouldn’t at least air the episodes. Given that GBC doesn’t start until March, what were they going to put in that time slot from January to March? The show isn’t doing THAT badly that they’d be losing money to put it on the air. I also really enjoy the show (although I did find that after 2 weeks without it, I didn’t miss it) and hope it will at least last the season and wrap up the stories they’ve started.

• Rod says:

They will air all the episodes. They will finish airing in mid-February and G.C.B. will premiere after the Oscar Sunday.

16. Jake says:

ABC has some good shows, Body Of Proof, Castle, Once Upon A Time, but they already axed Charlie’s Angels…at least keep PAN AM.

17. Dick says:

Pity. It wasn’t a great show or anything but it made for decent Sunday night fluff.

18. Jackson says:

I have a family member who works on the show and from what I have heard it will film through February and that is it. Too bad, I really enjoy it.

19. Amanda says:

Noooo! I love Pan Am! At first I wasn’t sure about it but I am hooked now!

20. TessK says:

I hope this isn’t true! The show was just starting to find it’s grove. I love so many characters, especially Colette. I will be sad to see it go

21. Lauren says:

Here’s the way I see it. Pan Am is dead. If it wasn’t ABC would had given it more than 14 episodes this year. ABC is pulling the same tactic NBC did to the fans of Heroes. They are stringing the fans along -hoping that given a few months without the show -they can cancel the show with less fanfare in May. They aren’t fooling anyone. I really hate the Nielson system. Broadcast television needs to invest in a better monitoring system. Because they cancel way too many programs with promise.

22. Liz says:

I really like Pan Am, although I only just caught up with the last two episodes–i was participating in NaNoWriMo and needed all the time i could get to reach 50k words.

I hope ABC decides to give it a 2nd season even though the 1st season was really short. If not, I hope the writers have enough time to wrap things us in a satisfying way.

It seems that whenever a show about the 60’s comes on it ends up going away pretty quickly–the only show that I can think of that survived past season 1 was American Dreams. I don’t know if it is all about demographics and people under 50 not being nostalgic for the 60’s–I’m 25 and if there was any time period I could live in it would have been the 60’s.

• RLS says:

Hey! I did NaNoWriMo too a few years back! Did you make it? I did. My “book” was complete and utter trash. Seriously it was the literary equivalent of an episode of Melrose Place, lol!

• Rebecca says:

What about Mad Men, China Beach, Tour of Duty, The Wonder Years, and I believe I’ll Fly Away was at least partially 1960s? And there have been very few shows about the ’60s, actually, so their success rate is actually pretty good. Most new shows don’t survive past their first year, while 1960s-set shows have done better than that in general.

• junk says:

Pretty much nothing survives these days unless it’s cheap to produce reality tv junk, heck even Lost was in trouble for a little while.

23. Conor says:

The show had a decent premise, but the plot was just a little too sleepy. I gave it 3 or 4 episodes before it got too monotonous to keep up with.

Yet another show with a solid concept, but a poor execution.

• gemenon says:

i agree. if it gets a second season, it needs to revamp a little. i dont know if there’s a better time slot for it, but it needs just a skoche more edginess. right now it just plays as a fluffy sunday night show to have on the in the background while you snooze after dinner.

24. Jon says:

Could all be the fault of that ridiculous spy storyline? That’s what turned me off.

25. Sarah says:

Just started watching this and I’m disappointed to think it isn’t going to carry on. My favourite shows are Fringe and Criminal Minds, but I also love Castle and Pan Am was shaping up to join this list. It isn’t the best show on tv, but it was fun, tongue in cheek and its backdrops and plane landings always made me grin. Bit like the shaking sets of the original Star Trek. It had its place. Very disappointed.

26. Samcro Tonight! says:

About time. What a boring show. Did anyone honestly believe this show would last at 10PM on Sunday Nights?

27. Hibsta says:

What about Mad Men? It’s set in the 60’s and its the most popular show on the air

28. swthompson says:

Last year, ABC said the same thing about Detroit 187. When Body of Proof proved to be a more viable ratings grabber, Detroit never came back. I’m going out on a limb and saying the same is true here. If GCB does do well– I suspect Pan Am is truly gone for good. However, if the public refuses to watch…

29. Come On ABC says:

LOVE this show… it’s one of the good ones, and on a perfect night. Don’t mess with this one, ABC.

30. Ariana says:

KEEP PAN AM! So disappointed to hear they’re possibly cancelled..this show has incredible potential, it’s rough around the edges, but I think with some tweeking to the story lines and writers it will make for great television

31. Danny says:

About damn time, this show was horrid, especially the spy plotline! I only watched it for Christina Ricci and she didn’t get that much screen time!

32. PFitzDC says:

Am sorry to hear they are giving it just a 14-episode run…especially when it’s last few episodes were finally rising in the ratings.
    It’s definitely not among the best shows on TV, but it was a refreshing change from the ubiquitous procedurals and I think it would have gained “altitude,” if it was allowed more time to find itself, and for viewers to make it appointment television.

33. LTA says:

They should have never cancelled Brothers & Sisters. It was far superior to Pan Am. B & S deserved a final season for complete closure.

34. sofia says:

I think it will really depend on the new line up for next year, what new shows do they have coming in, and how will they fit with the abc brand, but since DH goes of the air next year maybe pan am will take its place

35. Dijea says:

I love Pan Am. It’s fun – that would be a sad thing to go. I enjoy the characters and the escape from all the cop shows.

• Adam Waite says:

Agree with you Dijea. Well over cop shows,lawyer shows,forensic science shows,dancing celebs,talent shows,cooking shows,and lame comedies that keep going long past there use by date! American viewers
      seem to be stuck in their comfort zone,same shows season after season. Scriptwriters run out of ideas, and plots become more and more ridiculous. Pan-Am at least was different,probably worth at least 2 seasons at least,before they choke the life out of it with
      inane scripts. Pan-Am fans dont despair we at least enjoyed the show
      and thats what counts! As an afterthought, how about a show showing what happened to the glamour stewardesses after they were retired!!

36. Ben says:

I see nothing in this story that changes what the situation already was.

So, a tweet that confirms there is only a 14-episode season, something already previously announced by ABC? Not really a surprise.

I’d say the decision will be made in May. There isn’t a lot of hope, but whoever said it depends on the performance of other shows (eg GCB) is right. They are delaying the decision till May so that if they have several shows that aren’t quite cutting it ratings wise, they can pick what to cull and keep when they have all the facts. Pan Am is officially on the bubble.

37. Henry says:

So let me understand this. ABC says Pan Am is still available for a second season -EVEN though the network will not give it a full year of episodes and will take it off the air for months before the upfronts in May? Sounds to me, ABC is hedging their bets and still want to hold on to the cast -JUST IN CASE -their development slate for next year is weak. So the only way for Pan Am to get a second season is IF ABC can’t find a better show to replace it. Doesn’t sound like they have particular confidence in the show. ABC isn’t doing this to Once Upon A Time. It’s dead -they just don’t want to mess up the viewership on the remaining episodes by announcing it now!

38. ken says:

this is definitely getting cancelled. why is abc pussyfooting around it?

39. Lyntintin says:

It’s a shame. I had a feeling that it would be cancelled since I was enjoying it. Most shows I enjoy are cancelled after only a few episodes. They dont leave shows on long enough to gain an audience. I find this show to be fun and entertaining. It seems if it’s not graphically violent or numbingly stupid, it doesnt last.

40. Lauren says:

This pisses me off. I really like this show. I’ve missed it the past 2 weeks and I’ve been looking forward to the next episode! I really need to stop watching freshman shows. I always end up getting disappointed when they’re canceled.

41. Haley says:

Nooooooooooooo! I love this show.

42. Michelle says:

I really like Pan Am. It was a great time in history and very fun to watch, kind of like going back in time. As a member of the younger generation, I find this refreshing. I’m tired of all the CSI wanna-be’s. Every other show on TV now is a -someone died, police/forensic people with thier own disturbing issues solve crime, blah blah. We don’t need to come up with any more and we should scrap the ones we came up with this fall. We get enough of the crime scenes on the news right after the shows so lets keep something light,uplifting, entertaining and fresh like Pan Am.

43. Urvy says:

Looks like perky fight attendants were no match for zombies…

44. bigbadben says:

Its all about sex..get over it..no sex=no ratings

45. Debaloo says:

OH No!!! I really liked this show. It started off kindof slow but it has been getting progressively better. I hope ABC doesn’t give up on it. It has tons of potential.

46. kevin says:

It won’t wait until May when all broadcast networks released their own Fall schedules but ABC has been torturing TV viewers for weeks on the fate of PAN AM and it could be bad news if GCB gets big ratings and PAN AM gets the axed. Only time will tell if the retro drama does indeed gets cancel just like it did for CHARLIE’S ANGELS and only ratings could eventually break the show’s chances of renewal so it’ll wait on how much it means for the series and ABC.

47. kbooga says:

Sad news.

48. Fan Am says:

I am really critical of TV and movies, and I despise mediocrity.

However, there are two shows on TV I tolerate for almost being what they’re trying to be. The first is HAWAII 5-0, which is too pro-militaristic ‘be all that you can be’ — but otherwise a fairly enjoyable hour with some good characters. The other is —

— PAN AM, which has a trio of ladies that both my wife and I look forward to seeing, despite that 1.) we can live without Christina Ricci, which is more of a surprise than a preference, 2.) the blond pilot is a major bore, like Ricci, a victim of miscasting, and 3.) the show should actually take us on location but instead uses studio sets.

PAN AM isn’t great TV, at least not yet, but the the two sisters and the french girl are both acting and eye candy. We LOVE them.

49. kevin says:

I’m putting some money on it if PAN AM gets canceled.

50. MRinLA says:

Surprised it lasted this long…I was done with it after the first week. It’s look and feel was so sterile and uninvolving and the CIA plot was just too preposterous.

• Annabelle says:

I beg to differ…the stewardess who passes information and tries to gather intel is spot on – my great aunt worked for an airline in the early 60’s and she frequently took pics in other countries and did covert things, they weren’t dangerous or anything, but she did very simple courier duties! No one suspected them in the least…I’m not making this up~!

LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Change the day it airs or something, just don’t cancel it =D