Gossip Girl Recap: Truth and Lies Come Out

Gossip Girl this Monday night set the stage for what is sure to be a dramatic fall finale next week. Chuck bared himself to Blair — get your mind out of the gutter! — Charlie continued to prove she’s a cat with nine lives and someone might be at death’s door. Let’s review the episode’s biggest reveals:

CHUCK AND BLAIR DIG DEEP | In an effort to figure out how Chuck went from “Charlie Sheen to Charlie Brown,” Blair and Chuck went to couples therapy. Well, sort of. It was more like Blair sitting in on one of Chuck’s sessions, looking for answers where she wasn’t even supposed to be. After Chuck finally revealed how he let go of her by leaving behind what once could have been her engagement ring, Blair had an epiphany: Chuck wasn’t full of darkness. Rather, it was she who brought out darkness in him (and Louis), a realization that has a surprising amount of legitimacy. Between the short therapy scene and Blair’s self-reflection, it’s becoming really obvious that Queen B could use some shrink time herself. Look at what wonders it’s done for Chuck this season!

But for the Chair shippers thinking all hope was lost, Chuck was quick to correct Blair, calling her the “lightest thing” in his life. He admitted that losing her was the worst thing that ever happened to him. But it happened, and after it did, he didn’t die. He came out the other side alive and had no choice but to move on. That honest, simple confession hit Blair hard, leaving her too upset to even call Louis and tell him he wasn’t going to lose her like Chuck. (Maybe because Chuck hasn’t really lost her?) Although he held it back remarkably with Blair, Chuck confessed to Nate, “I can’t imagine the day I won’t love her.” And we can’t imagine the day Blair will marry the prince over Chuck.

DOUBLE IDENTITY | The truth about Charlie/Ivy finally came out — sort of, again — when Serena learned that Charlie was really Max’s ex, Ivy. (Serena really does have the worst taste in guys.) But Charlie managed to avoid destruction — again — using her big, sad doe eyes to spin a tale about how Max was blackmailing her. Suddenly, the whole Rhodes family and then some turned on Max as he cried, “Fraud!” Charlie got her money and, more importantly, the family she’s always wanted, but Max is not the give-up-and-leave type. Despite alienating everyone, he’s sticking around. Who knows what he’s expecting to find or accomplish by staying, but Charlie isn’t worried now that she’s really a Rhodes. The bigger mystery: Who is the real Charlie Rhodes, and where is she? Why is Carol keeping her daughter hidden? Whatever the truth is, Carol thinks it would be “unforgivable” if it ever came out.

GET WELL SOON | Uh-oh, looks like someone’s sick. CeCe came to town for a Studio 54 party thrown in her honor. Judging by the pills in her purse and the look of concern in Charlie’s face when she spotted them, it may be her last hurrah. Is CeCe’s cancer back? Imagine the drama — and by that we mean “fighting over money,” obviously — her death might cause among those untouchable Rhodes girls!

What did you think of the episode? Are Chuck and Blair on the road to reconciliation? Or will Dan manage to tear his attention away from Twitter long enough to make a play for Blair’s heart? And what do you think the deal is with the real Charlie?

1. Penelope says:

Woo first comment!! Loved the episode, so psyched for nxt week!!!!

2. Dash says:

Chuck and Blair! Chuck and Blair!! Sweeeeeeeeeet!

“I can’t imagine the day I won’t love her.” Oh Chuck Bass, just tell her that and we can get on with this

3. Ava says:

Can Dan Humphrey get anymore pathetic? Seriously, why do they do everything they can to make Dan Humphrey unlikeabe.

4. James says:

My money’s on the real Charlie Rhodes actually being Gossip Girl…

• Sasha says:

That’s actually a very cool idea….

• dee123 says:

Sadly unlike you James i doubt the GG writers are that creative. Carol was so cold & matter of fact when she spoke about her. Either the real Charlie is dead or locked up in a jail/asylum.

• Aysh says:

OMG that would be such a fantastic twist and it would also explain all the laying it in thick for Serena on the GG website since the real Charlie Rhodes has obviously been deprived of all financial benefits. Cousin rivalry and all that jazz would be such a good angle.

5. O'Brien says:

Did anyone else think there was a hint of a spark between Dan and Alessandra when they were tweeting together? Also, when did Nate learn to, like, do work things? Wonders never cease. That Chuck and Blair scene was the best moment thus far this season – great stuff.

6. sarah says:

I love the episode!!. I love Chuck and Blair!!. The only reason why I watch Gossip Girl!

7. Paris says:

I usually enjoy Gossip girl episodes but this one annoyed me. Blair: Just choose a guy already; either go with Louis or Chuck. I have had it with the constant Chair roller coaster. Either let Chuck go or be with him; its pretty simple. Dan’s storyline was pointless as usual, can we please make him likable since he bores me to death. Nate is the only one I was happy with this episode, he is maturing which is great. Ivy/Charlie needs to get the heck out of Gossip girl. Her presence annoys me and she is just drowning in her lies.

8. katie says:

I don’t mind Chuck and Blair, and even enjoy many of their scenes (tonight’s were undeniably emotional), but I still prefer Dan and Blair together for the long-term.

9. Sandra says:

Loved the episode! So excited (and worried) for next week! Chair were amazing last night! Loved Ivy, Cece and Nate too!

10. Lady K says:

Chuck and Blair are AWESOME! I hope this is the beginning (or maybe the middle) of them working themselves back together! They are the entire reason I watch this show! I have this vision of the clue fairy conking Blair on the head as she is walking down the aisle, and she turns, runs, and heads straight to Chuck. (After all, she did call him her great love! And he is said she is the love of his life as he is for her…) Chuck tells her he will help her raise her child, and they begin to finally have an adult relationship!

• Ava says:

Blair is going to lose the baby in the car crash next week. I am betting she goes through with the wedding because she is all crazed from that emotional turmoil and realizes after the wedding she should have been with Chuck, then we get a back half of the season where Blair tries to deal with being married to Louis even though she loves (and always has loved) Chuck leading up to her imminent divorce and reuniting with Chuck at the end of the season.

11. Melanie says:

blair blaming herself for guys hurting her is bad

12. Tired says:

Omg just please put Chair back to f****** together so all the characters can move on. I am sick to death of the same repeattive cycle of them breakin up bc they aren’t ~good~ for each other, blathering on how they will always love each other, then reuniting 2 EPISODES LATER. What was the point of S4, first half of this season? Why was I subjected to Saint Chuck, a pregnancy or Louis at all if it meant nothing? Why did the book storyline die in ep 4 with only one person self relecting with it.

At this point I hope dair never happens since the writers obviously have their heads so far up Chairs butt they can’t even see the nonsense on my tv. “You are the lightest thing in my life..” wtf is this dialogue, if I wanted to watch Twlight I would, if I wanted to read a Harlequin book I would. I hope Blair and Chuck drown in their light dark great love to be honest.

13. amanda says:

Amazing can’t wait for next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved it!

14. harum scarum says:

omg can we PLEASE have chuck and blair back together now?!?! louis sucks, chuck is awesome and blair so obviously wants chuck! WHY IS THEIR REUNION TAKING SO LONG?!?!?

and what is wrong with Cece??

15. Hojana says:

Are you kidding me with last night’s ep……Blair is blaming herself for Chuck’s and Louis’s decent into darkness? She is the victim here..

heh where is the redemption now….It was painfully obvious that the redemption was joke! He’s back to asking Blair to come with him next week. Put the chair through the shredder already and end it.

16. Ruby says:

I love this show, but I’m getting sick of the whole “Rhodes family gets taken advantage of” storyline that we see pretty much every season. How stupid ARE these people that they keep letting that happen to them? Yeesh.

17. monic says:

I like this episode. And the next looks so heartbreaking. But I am glad I’ll have CHAIR kiss!
    This is my theory:
    Chuck and Blair get an accident. Blair lose the baby. She is gonna be shocked (that’s why we have seen the picture of Blair drunk) And maybe she will be mad at Chuck then back to marry Louis. So dramatic. Yeah, it’s Tv drama. They build Chair, and they break them, it’s the same thing. But at the end, love will make everything simple.
    Chuck and Blair #CHAIR are the endgame. #gossipgirl

18. fiona says:

In all honesty dan and blair will not happen. They were fine as friends but a real relationship between them would be horrible.

It will be between Chuck and Louis in the end.

19. Sandrine says:

Yup, CeCe’s cancer is back. She’s taking Capecitabine, a chemotherapeutic agent whose side effects include nausea, vomiting.

20. Priscilla says:

It makes me wonder just how much money CeCe has…….

21. Lou says:

OMG I love chuck and Blair. They are meant to be together!!!!!!

22. Michelle says:

Did max say he wants his WIFE back at the end there?

23. Alice says:

ALL I WANT IS DAIR! Chair is so boring. The push and pull of their relationship has been done over and over.. and OVER.

24. Natalie says:

I agree, I think the real Charlie Rhodes is Gossip Girl. Totally makes sense.