Exclusive

Exclusive: Glee Casts Ricky Martin as 'Hottest [Spoiler Alert] in History'

Ricky Martin GleeGlee is temporarily lifting its moratorium on stunt casting, and with good reason.

The Fox phenom has officially closed a deal with Ricky Martin to guest star early next year, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively.

The bon-bon shaker extraordinaire will play what a Glee insider is calling “the hottest Spanish teacher ever in the history of Ohio.”

And a musically inclined one at that.

I’m told Martin’s scalding instructor will headline two big musical numbers in the episode, which is slated to air in late January.

Glee Spoiler Alert: Somebody’s Getting Engaged!

After wrapping Glee, Martin is off to New York to begin rehearsals for his role as Che in the Broadway revival of Evita (opening in April 2012).

The Glee stint marks Martin’s most high profile acting gig since his two-year run on General Hospital in the mid-90s.

Thoughts? Which McKinley pupil do you think will sport the biggest crush on the new hot prof? Care to predict which musical numbers Martin will perform? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Andrea says:

Okay, I really, really like Ricky Martin. But please, NO MORE CELEBRITY GUESTS STARS ON GLEE!

• Bernadette says:

This will get in Schuester’s craw so bad! I LOVE THAT! #KnockHimDownAPeg

• Kyle King says:

GLEE’s officially the Gayest [Spoiler Alert] in History!

• Cloudy Knight says:

…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• tarc says:

Thank God… because ONE gay show is many, many too few.

• Margaret says:

Kinda rude, Kyle. What’s wrong with having Ricky on Glee? He isn’t playing a gay character that we know of. Are you making a reference about his sexuality? If so, why does it matter? There are a whole of gay television stars on TV. Is The Big Bang Theory a gay show because of Jim Parsons? Is How I Met Your Mother a gay show because of Neil Patrick Harris? Really dude, it’s offensive to say a gay actor makes a show gay.

• DumbBunny says:

I believe he’s referring to the “Retarted, Stupid” definition of Gay, not the Homosexual meaning.

• Emma says:

First of all, you shouldn’t be using “retarded” like that anyway. Nor should you be using “gay” in that context. It’s rude and I hope someone knocks some sense into your head.

• gore says:

Even if he was, the concept of using gay to mean stupid was born out of homophobia and everyone knows it. He was referring to Ricky Martin’s sexuality.

• Deb says:

There are 2 definitions of gay and “retarded, stupid” is not one of them. Retarded is also a childish slur so quit using that too. Grow up DumbAss.

• KevinSW says:

I kinda have to agree….notice how 75% of all the male guest stars ARE gay, Jonathan Groff, Neil Patrick Harris, Cheyenne Jackson….no offense..but most their male guest stars…ARE gay lol

• Gwenzilla says:

Geez, the moratorium sure didn’t last long.

• Dani says:

apparently gloria estefan is gonna be on glee aswell playing santanas mum

• TheFinalMan says:

For me, at least, Gwyneth Paltrow was one of the greatest things to happen to the show.

• RISHI says:

I hated her character and her so called singing “voice” I hope she never comes back!

• yep says:

I totally agree. I hope she doesn’t come back show s2 was like serial showtime performances with a major storyline for Gwynneth and the cast became secondary characters and her back up singers. My least favorite episodes of s2.

• MiasMum says:

I LOVED Gwyneth Paltrow’s character…twas the best guest character they’ve had on. And WHEN are they going to get Samuel, winner of Glee Project, on there????

2. Jones19 says:

This is too good to be true. Somebody pinch me! I cannot wait for this.

3. Kimi says:

Lol! Oh man that is so awesome. I cannot wait. Like seriously, this just sounds perfect. I just hope they don’t mess it up. :)

4. maru says:

AAAAhhhh!!1 this is so much for me!! i love ricky and glee so the two us them together is just magic!! every girl will be falling in love of him and every guy must be exited to share a time with him he is so cute and a role model for gay people!! thanks glee

5. dan says:

Me Gusta Ricky. No me gusta stunt casting.

Way to stick to your promise Ryan.

6. Mandrake says:

Ausiello, this way of writing headlines is totally [SPOILER ALERT]

7. mawhi says:

Wait, they do remember that Will teaches Spanish, right?

8. omgomgomgomg says:

I’m comming… O.M.G #thanksglee

9. QMAN says:

Please have Ricky Martin have a hot steamy shirtless scene and also give him a gay love interest!

10. Ryan says:

I hope he sings something from Evita! I can’t wait to see the revival!

11. Wada says:

And what about Will?

12. Matt says:

So will he, unlike Mr. Schu post the pilot episode, actually teach Spanish?

13. Lore says:

How is that in Ohio have the hottest teachers? why?

14. Loz says:

I don’t want him on the show, we don’t want anymore gimmicky guest stars, this is not what glee is about, its about the original cast and we want THERE storylines. No to Ricky Martin or anymore guest stars. Idina has and always will be the only valid one as shes Rachel’s mum, same with Burt and Carole. No more random teachers, or random friends or people or cover teachers. NO. Out with this!!!!

15. Allie says:

Isn’t Will currently the Spanish teacher at McKinley?

• Mica says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

• maj says:

do you think that McKinley High is so small they only have 1 Spanish teacher??

• jennrae says:

My high school had only one Spanish teacher, and McKinley seems about the same size. My French teacher only taught two classes a day, and neither classes were full. One should be enough.

• Volcfom says:

Judging by the size of their pep-rallies, I’m sure there is room for another teacher. My school had 3 or 4 Spanish teachers and 2 French teachers. If Ohio also requires two years of a language like other states, then it is more than necessary to have more than one teacher to handle all of those students.

• Regina George says:

I had two different Italian teachers in year 12; one for extension and one for regular Italian.

• Aprilcot26 says:

My HS had (and still has) two Spanish teachers and McKinley appears to be a bigger school.

16. scooterbeanbag says:

I see Glee is desperate to grab just about any kind of name these days.

17. Michael Sacal says:

Whatever happened to Hathaway and Bardem?

18. heather says:

seriously glee?!?! Did the writers all take up heavily drinking over the break or what? First sam is joing in a synch swim team and now this weird stunt casting? Ughh

19. Rock Golf says:

Thank God, finally a straight actor in a guest role!

Huh? What?

Never mind.

20. Kittie says:

Are the ratings really that bad?

21. wendy zul says:

wowowow!!!!! que maravilla sin duda sera un gran capitulo

22. Dan says:

It’s all so clear to me now!

Sam is coming back to have a love triangle with Ricky Martin and Karofsky!

23. is my name says:

Just when I thought the show couldn’t get more gay, lol. Love it. Also I’d really wish for Anne Hathaway to be on glee someday.

24. Meli says:

Ojala que lo haga, no ay una combinación mas perfecta que Glee y Ricky Martin!! NO PUEDO ESPERAR PARA VERLOOOOOOOO!!!! Me muro por verlo!! ♥♥

25. Walle says:

If it will be focused on at all, I hope he’s gay, lol. Seems like every gay actor nowadays are playing straight characters.

• Taryn says:

Darron Criss is playing a gay charecter and he’s stright. sometimes actors have to give up what their actual sexuality is and play anouther sexuality. if they’re good at it no one while know their actual sexuality.

26. Tina says:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEE RICKY!!!

27. Christina says:

It’s kind of a wonder to me that anybody could take this show seriously anymore. They said no more stunt casting and here we go again. Not to mention with them catering to the whims of fans, I think that this show has lost any true sense of direction and story telling.

28. Sadie says:

Stunt casting again? I’m just about hanging in here with this show. Stunt casting, storylines catered to the internet crowd…it’s pretty ridiculous. What happened to the little club that could? Finn, Rachel and Kurt as the lead actors. I really have no interest in much else.

• DumbBunny says:

The gay movement is what happened. Season 3 has gone through at least 2 emergency rewrites already, because people got their panties in a wad. it started when they completely RUINED one of the best characters on the show (Santanna) by saying her edgy arrogant b^#^#ness was simply because she’s a lesbian and attacking the world so she doesnt have to show her true self. Then the backlash that happened when it was revealed Coach Bieste likes Men (THE HORROR!! A FOOTBALL COACH WHO LIKES MEN? GASP!) which was quickly taken out of the show.

29. Mick says:

Ricky Martin use to play Miguel on General Hospital in 1990s. I remember the long hair and how he was in love with Sonny’s first wife Lily.

30. Chris says:

UGH!!!! So much for Ryan Murphy’s promise for no more stunt casting on the show!

• Hali says:

He never keeps his promises… (which is why I’m hesitant to get into American Horror Story… I don’t want to get into it and have it turn out to be like Glee -___-)

31. CC says:

So, no stunt casting means they’re not allowed to cast anyone outside of those already on the show?!? I’m okay with it as long as it only happens once in awhile. Would kinda suck to never have new characters/guest stars on the show.

32. Amy says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess he’s subbing for Mr. Shue while he’s on his honeymoon with Emma… Since Glee’s plotlines have been so suspenseful this season.

33. Therese says:

RICKY MARTIN IS A GREAT ARTIST, HIS LAST TOUR M+A+S IS INCREDIBLE! I love seeing him on Glee!

34. Daisyduke says:

I love Ricky Martin and he can sing and act. He is joining Glee for a couple of episodes not like Gwynneth P where the storyline revolved around her character. Idina and Kristin Chenoweth were guests s1 2 0r 3 times each. Idina has roots to the characters. I’ll reserve my opinion come January to see how this plays out. If Glee’s agenda affecting storylines stays status quo I might be tempted to bail this ship. As much as I’ve been disappointed in last season and some this season if these storylines produce interesting development for many characters then I’ll give it a chance. As for Martin’s being a Glee sub I’m for it.

35. DA says:

This just FIGURES – Ryan Murphy is once again SHOVING HOMOSEXUALITY IN OUR FACES!! This is sickening & confirms why I had the good sense to stop watching this show ages ago. Kinda like “American Horror Story” – same thing – sex, nudity, language, homosexuality.

Can’t you keep your POOR MORALS TO YOURSELF??

• Katie says:

Poor morals? Such as calling people “sickening” and blatantly dumping on an entire group of people for no reason whatsoever? You’re absolutely right. Ryan is totally the jerk here. /sarcasm

• PR says:

Poor Morals? Didnt your mom ever teach you to be kind to everyone or if you can’t dont say anything? If you are so concerned and dont watch the show anymore, why are you even commenting?

• Jason says:

If you don’t like it, then don’t watch!

• jae says:

If you had the “good sense” to stop watching this show ages ago, then you should also have the “good sense” to stop shoving your closed-mindedness in our faces, and keeping your own morals to yourself. Just like you don’t want to see sex, nudity, language, or homosexuality on television, we don’t want to see someone bashing a show (that they supposedly don’t even watch) that we like, in a place meant for us glee-watchers to discuss this show.
      Kindly keep your own feelings to yourself, as many of us do not agree with your definition of “poor morals”.

• patrick says:

If it is so sickening than why are watching it?

36. Lisa says:

Lol I love the people complaining that Mr. Schue is already the spanish teacher. I don’t know where you went to high school but my school had multiple spanish teachers. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

37. SuzyQ says:

Ricky Martin should play the hot French teacher. THAT would be hilarious. And, they’ll definitely be singing “La Vida Loca.” And, news flash to all those who think Martin was cast because he was gay…look at all the STRAIGHT guest stars they’ve had. Did you criticize GLEE for pandering to seniors when Carol Burnett or Betty White visited? Martin was a fabulous entertainer long before he came out. THAT’s the most important quality – whether the guest stars can bring it in the acting, singing, and/or dancing categories. If all you can see is “gay” when you look at Martin, that says more about your shallowness than anything about the show.

38. Thaís says:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

I just L O V E Ricky Martin!!! Will be perfect!! *——*

39. Ryan says:

OMG! I love Ricky! :)

40. Tweety1212 says:

This is great news. I’ve never seen Glee but I’ll watch when Ricky Martin is on.

41. Jackson says:

me gusta

42. DaisyADay says:

I’ve never watched Glee but there is always the first time for everything!! Ricky Martin doesn’t have to dance or sing….he’ll make my day just standing there…just like Elvis in that black leather TV special, he’s eye candy!!!!

43. Kirstin says:

DANG! I was hoping he might be one of Rachel’s dads =(

44. @Sari_Chile says:

I’m beyond excited with this news!!! I’m a HUGE Ricky Martin fan and GLEE is my favorite series so… I’m running around the house screaming of happiness!!!
    Ricky will be the hottest teacher in TV history!!!
    (and for one episode, Blaine won’t be the cutest+sexiest guy in GLEE)

45. @Sari_Chile says:

If you don’t like it, DON’T WATCH IT!!!
    Glee is about respect and accepting EVERYBODY as equals. If you don’t believe in that (as it seems) this is clearly not the kind of show for you. Change the channel

46. Mrs Patrick Campbell says:

She is a fortunate gay homosexual!

47. Caroll says:

Hey! it’s also true that Gloria Stefan is gonna be Santana’s mom? please! that deserves a spoiler!

48. Jenna says:

Didn’t GP’s Holly also sub in Spanish?

49. maria says:

I’m actually excited for this and I’m not even a huge Ricky fan. But I am absolutely DREADING seeing Schuester trying to be sexy or anything like that, sit down Will.