Exclusive: Glee Casts Ricky Martin as 'Hottest [Spoiler Alert] in History'

Ricky Martin GleeGlee is temporarily lifting its moratorium on stunt casting, and with good reason.

The Fox phenom has officially closed a deal with Ricky Martin to guest star early next year, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively.

The bon-bon shaker extraordinaire will play what a Glee insider is calling “the hottest Spanish teacher ever in the history of Ohio.”

And a musically inclined one at that.

I’m told Martin’s scalding instructor will headline two big musical numbers in the episode, which is slated to air in late January.

Glee Spoiler Alert: Somebody’s Getting Engaged!

After wrapping Glee, Martin is off to New York to begin rehearsals for his role as Che in the Broadway revival of Evita (opening in April 2012).

The Glee stint marks Martin’s most high profile acting gig since his two-year run on General Hospital in the mid-90s.

Thoughts? Which McKinley pupil do you think will sport the biggest crush on the new hot prof? Care to predict which musical numbers Martin will perform? Hit the comments!

Comments (154)

• Okay, I really, really like Ricky Martin. But please, NO MORE CELEBRITY GUESTS STARS ON GLEE!

Comment by Andrea – November 29, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This will get in Schuester’s craw so bad! I LOVE THAT! #KnockHimDownAPeg

Comment by Bernadette – November 29, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GLEE’s officially the Gayest [Spoiler Alert] in History!

Comment by Kyle King – November 29, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Comment by Cloudy Knight – November 29, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank God… because ONE gay show is many, many too few.

Comment by tarc – November 29, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What tarc said.

Comment by Kirstin – November 30, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kinda rude, Kyle. What’s wrong with having Ricky on Glee? He isn’t playing a gay character that we know of. Are you making a reference about his sexuality? If so, why does it matter? There are a whole of gay television stars on TV. Is The Big Bang Theory a gay show because of Jim Parsons? Is How I Met Your Mother a gay show because of Neil Patrick Harris? Really dude, it’s offensive to say a gay actor makes a show gay.

Comment by Margaret – December 15, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I believe he’s referring to the “Retarted, Stupid” definition of Gay, not the Homosexual meaning.

Comment by DumbBunny – December 15, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • First of all, you shouldn’t be using “retarded” like that anyway. Nor should you be using “gay” in that context. It’s rude and I hope someone knocks some sense into your head.

Comment by Emma – December 15, 2011 07:02 PM PDT
          • Even if he was, the concept of using gay to mean stupid was born out of homophobia and everyone knows it. He was referring to Ricky Martin’s sexuality.

Comment by gore – December 15, 2011 07:03 PM PDT
          • There are 2 definitions of gay and “retarded, stupid” is not one of them. Retarded is also a childish slur so quit using that too. Grow up DumbAss.

Comment by Deb – December 16, 2011 07:11 AM PDT
      • I kinda have to agree….notice how 75% of all the male guest stars ARE gay, Jonathan Groff, Neil Patrick Harris, Cheyenne Jackson….no offense..but most their male guest stars…ARE gay lol

Comment by KevinSW – December 15, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Geez, the moratorium sure didn’t last long.

Comment by Gwenzilla – December 15, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • apparently gloria estefan is gonna be on glee aswell playing santanas mum

Comment by Dani – December 15, 2011 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me, at least, Gwyneth Paltrow was one of the greatest things to happen to the show.

Comment by TheFinalMan – December 15, 2011 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hated her character and her so called singing “voice” I hope she never comes back!

Comment by RISHI – December 16, 2011 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally agree. I hope she doesn’t come back show s2 was like serial showtime performances with a major storyline for Gwynneth and the cast became secondary characters and her back up singers. My least favorite episodes of s2.

Comment by yep – December 16, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I LOVED Gwyneth Paltrow’s character…twas the best guest character they’ve had on. And WHEN are they going to get Samuel, winner of Glee Project, on there????

Comment by MiasMum – December 16, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is too good to be true. Somebody pinch me! I cannot wait for this.

Comment by Jones19 – November 29, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol! Oh man that is so awesome. I cannot wait. Like seriously, this just sounds perfect. I just hope they don’t mess it up. :)

Comment by Kimi – November 29, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AAAAhhhh!!1 this is so much for me!! i love ricky and glee so the two us them together is just magic!! every girl will be falling in love of him and every guy must be exited to share a time with him he is so cute and a role model for gay people!! thanks glee

Comment by maru – November 29, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me Gusta Ricky. No me gusta stunt casting.

Way to stick to your promise Ryan.

Comment by dan – November 29, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was before the ratings started to fall week to week. Now we’ll be back to stunt casting and hour long tributes to famous gay icon singers.

Comment by Josh – November 29, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And before anyone gets upset, I am gay and worship at the altar of many icons-Liza, Judy, Cher, Bette…

My comment was just on the show’s reliance on tactics like those to get viewers to tune in, without having to actually worry about quality writing.

Comment by Josh – November 29, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Much like Will & Grace ended up doing. Tho I loved the Futterman episodes!

Comment by Dale – December 4, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Touchee!!

Comment by yep – December 16, 2011 02:25 PM PDT
      • I heard that they’re doing a Michael Jackson tribute episode pretty soon!

Comment by Chris – December 15, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dude that was on the 6th. They called the songs they sang during sectionals a tribute.

Comment by Emily – December 15, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Actually no, they’re doing a full tribute episode. Lea Michele has been tweeting about it’s filming over the past week.

Comment by Tara – December 15, 2011 08:18 PM PDT
  • Ausiello, this way of writing headlines is totally [SPOILER ALERT]

Comment by Mandrake – November 29, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, they do remember that Will teaches Spanish, right?

Comment by mawhi – November 29, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad I’m not the only one who wondered this! McKinley already HAS a hot musically-inclined Spanish teacher!

Comment by Wenders – November 29, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well they have a musically-inclined Spanish teacher at least.

Comment by Tigger Olsen – November 29, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, come on, he’s got a great body and a nice face!

Comment by Dale – December 4, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sadly he’s not able to speak Spanish properly… so a native Spanish speaker teacher is most welcome…

Comment by Mike – December 15, 2011 09:59 PM PDT
      • LOL I was thinking the same thing.

Comment by Hali – December 16, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ^^ meant as a reply to Wenders.

Comment by Hali – December 16, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would wager a bet that Glee is well aware of this and that’s the whole point – someone for Will to have to compete against somehow.

Comment by Jena – November 29, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d say he’s either a) a Sub, or B) the Spanish teacher at Dalton.

Comment by Tara – December 15, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m comming… O.M.G #thanksglee

Comment by omgomgomgomg – November 29, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please have Ricky Martin have a hot steamy shirtless scene and also give him a gay love interest!

Comment by QMAN – November 29, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could roll with that, especially the shirtless part xD

Comment by Hali – December 16, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he sings something from Evita! I can’t wait to see the revival!

Comment by Ryan – November 29, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And what about Will?

Comment by Wada – November 29, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So will he, unlike Mr. Schu post the pilot episode, actually teach Spanish?

Comment by Matt – November 29, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is that in Ohio have the hottest teachers? why?

Comment by Lore – November 29, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • didn’t when I was in school there!

Comment by Dale – December 4, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It all goes back to the obscure time in Ohio history when Hollywood casted people who were physically attractive for higher television ratings.

Comment by TheFinalMan – December 15, 2011 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want him on the show, we don’t want anymore gimmicky guest stars, this is not what glee is about, its about the original cast and we want THERE storylines. No to Ricky Martin or anymore guest stars. Idina has and always will be the only valid one as shes Rachel’s mum, same with Burt and Carole. No more random teachers, or random friends or people or cover teachers. NO. Out with this!!!!

Comment by Loz – November 29, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup, back to the basics! Back to the basics! Back to the basics!

Comment by Lozisright – November 29, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • -.-

Comment by Tha – November 29, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’re going to capitalize it for emphasis, please spell correctly: THEIR.

Comment by Susan – December 15, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Will currently the Spanish teacher at McKinley?

Comment by Allie – November 29, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Comment by Mica – November 29, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • do you think that McKinley High is so small they only have 1 Spanish teacher??

Comment by maj – November 29, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My high school had only one Spanish teacher, and McKinley seems about the same size. My French teacher only taught two classes a day, and neither classes were full. One should be enough.

Comment by jennrae – November 29, 2011 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Judging by the size of their pep-rallies, I’m sure there is room for another teacher. My school had 3 or 4 Spanish teachers and 2 French teachers. If Ohio also requires two years of a language like other states, then it is more than necessary to have more than one teacher to handle all of those students.

Comment by Volcfom – November 30, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I had two different Italian teachers in year 12; one for extension and one for regular Italian.

Comment by Regina George – December 15, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My HS had (and still has) two Spanish teachers and McKinley appears to be a bigger school.

Comment by Aprilcot26 – November 30, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see Glee is desperate to grab just about any kind of name these days.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – November 29, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever happened to Hathaway and Bardem?

Comment by Michael Sacal – November 29, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see they were smart enough to jump ship. Although I guess I would have checked out the episodes with them out of curiosity.

Comment by Sam – November 29, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously glee?!?! Did the writers all take up heavily drinking over the break or what? First sam is joing in a synch swim team and now this weird stunt casting? Ughh

Comment by heather – November 29, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God, finally a straight actor in a guest role!

Huh? What?

Never mind.

Comment by Rock Golf – November 29, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What does this have to do with anything?

Not everyone on this show is gay, despite your ignorant beliefs: Mike O’Malley, Eric Bruskotter, Keong Sim, LeMarcus Tinker, Josh Sussman… all straight male guest stars.

Comment by r0ckmypants – November 29, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • call him ignorant. thatll show em.

Comment by DumbBunny – December 15, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you the same Rock Golf from Sporcle?

Comment by Mark – November 29, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are the ratings really that bad?

Comment by Kittie – November 29, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wowowow!!!!! que maravilla sin duda sera un gran capitulo

Comment by wendy zul – November 29, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s all so clear to me now!

Sam is coming back to have a love triangle with Ricky Martin and Karofsky!

Comment by Dan – November 29, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One can only hope!

Comment by Theo – December 15, 2011 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show’s gotten so bad I actually WISH they would do that… at least it would be interesting lol.

Comment by Hali – December 16, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when I thought the show couldn’t get more gay, lol. Love it. Also I’d really wish for Anne Hathaway to be on glee someday.

Comment by is my name – November 29, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ojala que lo haga, no ay una combinación mas perfecta que Glee y Ricky Martin!! NO PUEDO ESPERAR PARA VERLOOOOOOOO!!!! Me muro por verlo!! ♥♥

Comment by Meli – November 29, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it will be focused on at all, I hope he’s gay, lol. Seems like every gay actor nowadays are playing straight characters.

Comment by Walle – November 29, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Darron Criss is playing a gay charecter and he’s stright. sometimes actors have to give up what their actual sexuality is and play anouther sexuality. if they’re good at it no one while know their actual sexuality.

Comment by Taryn – December 16, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEE RICKY!!!

Comment by Tina – November 29, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s kind of a wonder to me that anybody could take this show seriously anymore. They said no more stunt casting and here we go again. Not to mention with them catering to the whims of fans, I think that this show has lost any true sense of direction and story telling.

Comment by Christina – November 29, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stunt casting again? I’m just about hanging in here with this show. Stunt casting, storylines catered to the internet crowd…it’s pretty ridiculous. What happened to the little club that could? Finn, Rachel and Kurt as the lead actors. I really have no interest in much else.

Comment by Sadie – November 29, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The gay movement is what happened. Season 3 has gone through at least 2 emergency rewrites already, because people got their panties in a wad. it started when they completely RUINED one of the best characters on the show (Santanna) by saying her edgy arrogant b^#^#ness was simply because she’s a lesbian and attacking the world so she doesnt have to show her true self. Then the backlash that happened when it was revealed Coach Bieste likes Men (THE HORROR!! A FOOTBALL COACH WHO LIKES MEN? GASP!) which was quickly taken out of the show.

Comment by DumbBunny – December 15, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ricky Martin use to play Miguel on General Hospital in 1990s. I remember the long hair and how he was in love with Sonny’s first wife Lily.

Comment by Mick – November 29, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH!!!! So much for Ryan Murphy’s promise for no more stunt casting on the show!

Comment by Chris – November 29, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He never keeps his promises… (which is why I’m hesitant to get into American Horror Story… I don’t want to get into it and have it turn out to be like Glee -___-)

Comment by Hali – December 16, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, no stunt casting means they’re not allowed to cast anyone outside of those already on the show?!? I’m okay with it as long as it only happens once in awhile. Would kinda suck to never have new characters/guest stars on the show.

Comment by CC – November 29, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to go out on a limb and guess he’s subbing for Mr. Shue while he’s on his honeymoon with Emma… Since Glee’s plotlines have been so suspenseful this season.

Comment by Amy – November 29, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RICKY MARTIN IS A GREAT ARTIST, HIS LAST TOUR M+A+S IS INCREDIBLE! I love seeing him on Glee!

Comment by Therese – November 29, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ricky Martin and he can sing and act. He is joining Glee for a couple of episodes not like Gwynneth P where the storyline revolved around her character. Idina and Kristin Chenoweth were guests s1 2 0r 3 times each. Idina has roots to the characters. I’ll reserve my opinion come January to see how this plays out. If Glee’s agenda affecting storylines stays status quo I might be tempted to bail this ship. As much as I’ve been disappointed in last season and some this season if these storylines produce interesting development for many characters then I’ll give it a chance. As for Martin’s being a Glee sub I’m for it.

Comment by Daisyduke – November 29, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just FIGURES – Ryan Murphy is once again SHOVING HOMOSEXUALITY IN OUR FACES!! This is sickening & confirms why I had the good sense to stop watching this show ages ago. Kinda like “American Horror Story” – same thing – sex, nudity, language, homosexuality.

Can’t you keep your POOR MORALS TO YOURSELF??

Comment by DA – November 29, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Poor morals? Such as calling people “sickening” and blatantly dumping on an entire group of people for no reason whatsoever? You’re absolutely right. Ryan is totally the jerk here. /sarcasm

Comment by Katie – December 1, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Poor Morals? Didnt your mom ever teach you to be kind to everyone or if you can’t dont say anything? If you are so concerned and dont watch the show anymore, why are you even commenting?

Comment by PR – December 3, 2011 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you don’t like it, then don’t watch!

Comment by Jason – December 15, 2011 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you had the “good sense” to stop watching this show ages ago, then you should also have the “good sense” to stop shoving your closed-mindedness in our faces, and keeping your own morals to yourself. Just like you don’t want to see sex, nudity, language, or homosexuality on television, we don’t want to see someone bashing a show (that they supposedly don’t even watch) that we like, in a place meant for us glee-watchers to discuss this show.
      Kindly keep your own feelings to yourself, as many of us do not agree with your definition of “poor morals”.

Comment by jae – December 15, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If it is so sickening than why are watching it?

Comment by patrick – December 15, 2011 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol I love the people complaining that Mr. Schue is already the spanish teacher. I don’t know where you went to high school but my school had multiple spanish teachers. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment by Lisa – November 29, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ricky Martin should play the hot French teacher. THAT would be hilarious. And, they’ll definitely be singing “La Vida Loca.” And, news flash to all those who think Martin was cast because he was gay…look at all the STRAIGHT guest stars they’ve had. Did you criticize GLEE for pandering to seniors when Carol Burnett or Betty White visited? Martin was a fabulous entertainer long before he came out. THAT’s the most important quality – whether the guest stars can bring it in the acting, singing, and/or dancing categories. If all you can see is “gay” when you look at Martin, that says more about your shallowness than anything about the show.

Comment by SuzyQ – November 29, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When was Betty White on Glee?

Comment by iKarenS – November 29, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

I just L O V E Ricky Martin!!! Will be perfect!! *——*

Comment by Thaís – November 29, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! I love Ricky! :)

Comment by Ryan – November 29, 2011 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Alberto – November 30, 2011 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. I’ve never seen Glee but I’ll watch when Ricky Martin is on.

Comment by Tweety1212 – November 30, 2011 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • me gusta

Comment by Jackson – November 30, 2011 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched Glee but there is always the first time for everything!! Ricky Martin doesn’t have to dance or sing….he’ll make my day just standing there…just like Elvis in that black leather TV special, he’s eye candy!!!!

Comment by DaisyADay – November 30, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DANG! I was hoping he might be one of Rachel’s dads =(

Comment by Kirstin – November 30, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m beyond excited with this news!!! I’m a HUGE Ricky Martin fan and GLEE is my favorite series so… I’m running around the house screaming of happiness!!!
    Ricky will be the hottest teacher in TV history!!!
    (and for one episode, Blaine won’t be the cutest+sexiest guy in GLEE)

Comment by @Sari_Chile – November 30, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you don’t like it, DON’T WATCH IT!!!
    Glee is about respect and accepting EVERYBODY as equals. If you don’t believe in that (as it seems) this is clearly not the kind of show for you. Change the channel

Comment by @Sari_Chile – November 30, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is a fortunate gay homosexual!

Comment by Mrs Patrick Campbell – December 3, 2011 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey! it’s also true that Gloria Stefan is gonna be Santana’s mom? please! that deserves a spoiler!

Comment by Caroll – December 4, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t GP’s Holly also sub in Spanish?

Comment by Jenna – December 4, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually excited for this and I’m not even a huge Ricky fan. But I am absolutely DREADING seeing Schuester trying to be sexy or anything like that, sit down Will.

Comment by maria – December 15, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post