Glee Exclusive: Sam Joining [Spoiler] Team to Woo Mercedes! (But Who Should Be His Coach?)

Looks like Glee has found a legitimate excuse for Chord Overstreet to lose his shirt when Sam returns to McKinley High.

Indeed, Trouty Mouth will get in touch with his spirit animal when he joins the McKinley Synchronized Swim Team — in an effort to win back Mercedes! — according to a show insider.

Look for Sam to have his Esther Williams moment in Episode 10 (airing in January), which will introduce us to a quartet of yet-to-be-cast characters — all of which have the potential to become recurring:

* Coach Roz Washington, for which the show is seeking a well-known comedic character actress in her 30s or 40s. (Might we suggest Wanda Sykes, or perhaps her former New Adventures of Old Christine costar Alex Kapp Horner?)

* Synchronized Swim Team members Webber, Charles, and Vinny, who are respectively described as “a nerdy looking girl” of any ethnicity, “a handsome African-American boy,” and “a nerdy looking boy” of any ethnicity. (Seeing that Eric Stoltz will be directing Episode 10, perhaps one of his former costars from Caprica — Magda Apanowicz or Alex Arsenault — could step in as Webber or Vinny?)

Are you excited about Sam’s new extracurricular activity — and the prospect of a Mercedes-centric love triangle? Got any casting suggestions for Coach Roz or any of Sam’s new teammates? Hit the comments! And for all the Glee news and commentary your heart desires, follow us on Twitter @TVLineNews!

Comments (134)

• Ugh Samcedes. Just stop itttt

Comment by Steve – November 29, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Steve: Ugh. Referring to couples through cutesy blended names. Just stop itttt

Comment by dave – November 29, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Who the heck started the stupid blended names thing anyway? Whoever it was/is should be shot.

Comment by Trace – November 29, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think it started with Bennifer (Affleck and JLo), and I agree, it’s annoying. I think E! is to blame, at least for spreading it.

Comment by jennrae – November 29, 2011 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excuse you, Mercedes/Sam is awesome and needs to freaking happen (onscreen).

Comment by Olivia – November 29, 2011 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alex Kapp Horner looks like Idina Menzel in her imdb pictures, doesnt she?

Comment by Lily – November 29, 2011 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I happen to think they make a VERY CUTE COUPLE. Thank you very much.

Comment by Dee – December 12, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A synchronized swimming team in the winter in Ohio? Seriously, show?

Comment by Mike – November 29, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Swimming is a winter high school sport in Ohio but I’m not away of any high schools that have a synchronized team. The competitive synchronized swimming competition season for OSU begins in January.

Comment by 8daysaweek – November 29, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was on a high school and YMCA swimteams. Our competitive season started in November and ended in April or May. Are you just looking to find ways to criticize Glee or have you just forgotten about things called “indoor” pools?

Comment by Michael – November 29, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Many high schools in Ohio have synchronized swimming teams or clubs. It’s a winter sport, exactly like swimming is. Trust me, I’m a swimmer from Ohio.

Comment by Lily – November 29, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally unnecessary. They need to realize love triangles are played out on Glee and that friendships are just as important if not more important than relationships.

Comment by Lea – November 29, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What love triangle?! We have seen Mercedes boyfriend for all of three seconds. Plus everyone was in such an uproar over Mercedes having a “big black boyfriend” (don’t mean to offend). Be happy they are staying consistent with their story line this season.

Comment by Elli – November 29, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What nonsense. Really Glee?

Comment by James – November 29, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hell to the no

Comment by Mia – November 29, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …Because up till now, Glee has had that Cinema verite thing going for it?

Comment by Rock Golf – November 29, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! This kind of non-verite element is what drew me to the show in the first place.

Comment by Mauro Diotallevi – December 3, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joy. More useless characters I couldn’t care less about.

Comment by Em – November 29, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed!!!!!!!!! this show has way too many characters! and most of them are stupid and useless.

Comment by Amanda – November 29, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! People are so stupid these days that if you have more than 4-5 people in a show it’s just too much for them! Too many on Glee, too many on Grey’s blah blah blah – Watch cartoons where it’s just Tom and Jerry, maybe that will be easier for you.

Comment by Steven – November 29, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Bring more characters, bring more people that don’t arouse our interest and forget about the original ND members. Make it harder for me to watch AND enjoy Glee. Argh!

Comment by Puckleberry – November 29, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I am looking forward to Sam’s return, but not the fact that he is trying to win back Mercedes. I have found Mercedes to be an annoying character this year and would not be disappointed if she disappeared with her asshole BF.

Comment by Ria – November 29, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You seriously took the words right out of my mouth.

Comment by yvonne – November 29, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Honestly, the best episodes this season have been the ones with little to no Mercedes. I find her to be a useless character now.

Comment by Not a Mercedes lover – November 29, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wonder WHY there is so much hate for Mercedes. There’s actually an interesting article on racialicious.com about hatred of Black female characters. Maybe take a moment to analyze WHY you don’t like Mercedes. . .is it a stereotype? Because Rachel, Quinn, Santana are all far more self centered and frankly more emotionally unstable than Mercedes, but that is totally acceptable for them to take up that space. . . I wonder why?

Here’s the link: “Fandom and their Hatred of Black Women Characters”

Comment by Dana Black – December 9, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee, meet the shark. Shark meet Glee. Shark, Glee will be jumping you in 3-2-1.

Comment by TheReasonsY – November 29, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • where were you when britney/brittany happened?

Comment by rob – November 29, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brilliant idea!

Have a shark eat the entire synchronized swimteam!

Then the shark will have a troutymouth.

Comment by Rock Golf – November 29, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? How is bringing Sam back “jumping the shark?” He already is known on the show and was beginning a relationship with Mercedes before he left. It makes complete sense that he would try to get back together with her when he returns unless they parted on bad turns, which we assume didn’t happen since Mercedes didn’t speak badly of him when his absence was explained at the beginning of the season. It also makes sense that he would join a swim team since he’s obviously athletic and the football season will have ended by the time he comes back in the winter. Sue and Will discovering they are long-lost separated-at-birth siblings would be jumping the shark, not Sam’s return to McKinley.

Comment by Nadakom – November 30, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ENOUGH with all the new characters! Can we focus on the people we already know and love/hate?

We’ve had entire episodes this season without Mercedes or Mr. Schuester or Sue Sylvester.

I don’t mind the occasional guest star. In fact, I like the visits by Neil Patrick Harris, Kristin Chenoweth, Olivia Newton-John, etc.

But let’s get back to what made “Glee” good: the music and characters that lured us in. We don’t need to meet every, single student at McKinley High.

Comment by Kate – November 29, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you, Kate!

Let’s focus on the core characters… I need a character sheet at this point to keep track of all the comings and goings! All these characters make for all these half-told stories or forgotten plotlines.

Comment by Ella – November 29, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • These are just background characters like the girls in Quinn’s gang that were in one episode. You’re not suddenly going to be seeing major plotlines about Joe from the swim team.

Comment by NMO – November 29, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The best eppys of the seasons, in my opinion, have been the ones without Shue, Mercedes and Sue(who is becoming so one dimensional, i can hardly stand her any more). Glee has been focusing on core characters all year long and the ratings are down significantly despite some of the best eppys since season 1.

Comment by Michael – November 29, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sam’s not new. Also, the other team members are probably just going to be background fodder.

Comment by Jones – November 30, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am so happy that Sam is back, I missed him and Lauren this season. I also agree with your commment on “background fodder” Sam can’t be a swim team of one. even with a trouty mouth.

Comment by Mhead – November 30, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samcedes = epic fail

Comment by Julie – November 29, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Julie’s opinion = epic fail

Comment by toby – November 30, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL!!!! *HIGH 5* :)

Comment by cody – December 13, 2011 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely not excited about the Sam/Mercedes storyline. It came out of nowhere last season, and Mercedes described her relationship with Sam as “so June” as in “I don’t care about him anymore” in the first episode of this season. I will be very disappointed if they get back together. Honestly, if Chord came back for this, I’d rather he didn’t come back at all, and it hurts to say this because I’m a big fan of him.

Comment by it's kumming – November 29, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Samcedes, excited for this!

Comment by Lauren – November 29, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Comment by Jenna – November 29, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no. glee is awful. samcedes is boring. i can’t believe they get paid actual money to write this.

Comment by glee – November 29, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People get paid to write for every show on CBS. I would thus hardly call it unfair that they work for a paycheck on Glee.

Comment by Michael – November 29, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the point of this is…?

Comment by Anne – November 29, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That we get to see Chord shirtless once a week. I’m all over that.

Comment by Ebbie – November 30, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still rooting for a Sam/Quinn reunion. I always liked them…

Comment by Brenna – November 29, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Crossing my fingers! :s

Comment by Isabelle – December 4, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh wow, just when I thought Glee can’t get any worse…

Comment by Jenna – November 29, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last thing this show needs is more characters. Or Sam.
    BORING

Comment by annie – November 29, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow this Samcedes story sounds terrible. So Sam has to resort to shallow means to get her attention? Why should we like them?

Comment by Ang – November 29, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MERCAYDES
    AW YEA
    U WANT DIS

Comment by Sam – November 29, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol no

Comment by NOPE – November 29, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it’s a reference
        to a comic
        ain’t my rp-ing in character

Comment by Sam – November 29, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh look another storyline around attracting a female. SNORE.

Comment by C – November 29, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samcedes is a disaster!
    Bring back Kum/Hevans and get rid of both Mercedes and Blaine!

Comment by Canoe – November 29, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • because getting rid of the only black main character would not in any way be problematic
      (Azimio, I luv u but you’re not really a main character, sorry, we’ll still have sequins)

Comment by Rooster the serious – November 29, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant she should go back swaying in the background. Quite the opposite, I’d welcome more black characters. But that’s not the point here. The story is lame and Samcedes is even more lame. Not as bad as Klaine though but very close.

Comment by Canoe – November 29, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • oh hell to the no! samcedes may be bad but u will not insult my klaine!

Comment by maddie – December 30, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Samcedes, do not want the triangle AT ALL. Shane should be gone already.

Comment by Uhhh – November 29, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares?! Just give us Faberry!!!!!!!!

Comment by Who cares – November 29, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hhmm, well I get that at some point they will have to introduce new characters since several current ones will graduate this year, but the Sam/Mercedes is “so June” to quote the Glee writers : )

I hope someone there thinks about real story lines vs tons of characters with no, or weak story lines. (season 2 anybody).

This season Glee is finally back to better story telling and character arcs, so let’s not go back to weak story lines b/c there are too many characters to deal with, which no fan will care about one way or another.

I’d personally prefer to hear something about a potential spin off for the graduates???

Comment by L – November 29, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank you for shouting out Magda Apanowicz! loved her on Caprica, would love to see her on glee!

Comment by cj – November 29, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Lion!Quinn – November 29, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This needs to not happen and Artie needs to get himself a darn solo already. He is the best guy singer.

Comment by grobie – November 29, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now if I wrote the show and wanted to create SamCedes redux I’d not have Sam vie to win Mercedes back and instead make Shane abusive and have Mercedes run to Sam…..

that said I’m glad Sam is back and the writers are getting clever in their ways to keep him shirtless (being a stripper, swim team) but at this point in the game I’d kind of want Single Sam or Sam/Sugar

Comment by Heather – November 29, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s like they pick the first idea that pops into their minds without discussing it first and just run with it. Terrible writing. I think if this season doesn’t improve…I may have to ask for a divorce from Glee.

Comment by Chris – November 29, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new charaters are laying the ground work for next season when most of the Glee club graduates

Comment by Dennis – November 29, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this has got to be the dumbest thing Glee has done yet..stop adding recurring character that make no sense to the show(i mean really a swim team wtf?)

Comment by ggny – November 29, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now, this is a story all about how
    my show got flipped-turned upside down
    and i’d like to take a minute
    sit right there
    i’ll tell you how glee became the s****iest show on the air

in south ohio born and raised
    in the choir room i spent my tuesdays
    singing’ out dancin’ out all of my rage
    performing some top 40′s center stage
    when a couple guys
    who were up to no good
    startin writing terrible plots depending on their mood
    they got one little award and became an instant hit
    so they caved to fan demands and turned to s***

i creyed and ranted day after day
    but they clung to egos till i went away
    they wrote more fanservice and didn’t look to change s***
    so i turned off my tv and decided to kick it

Comment by fresh prince of lima – November 29, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Outstanding! Quite creative.

Comment by TJ – November 29, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! This is hilarious

Comment by Rog – November 29, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Impressed! :)

Comment by Robin – November 29, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lima is in the northern part of Ohio.

FAIL! Bring on the Samcedes!

Comment by NunyaBidness – November 29, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, that does not sound gay at all, he said with a little hint of sarcasm.

Comment by Jasonbres – November 29, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the fake-est school! What kind of a school has the resources for two Glee Clubs, a Jazz Band, a Steel Drum Band (it was in the pilot, I didn’t forget) and a Synchronized Swim Team on top of everything else????

Comment by mawhi – November 29, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, my high school did. We had 34 different clubs, 10 of which were musically based. And I went to school in Ohio. Not Lima. Cincinnati.

Comment by TJ – November 29, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not really a lot… Most high schools have lots of clubs, teams and activities. I think a lot of people who watch Glee have forgotten what high school is like. Teenagers have 5-minute attention spans when it comes to relationships (friendships or dating), they form random friendships from year to year, they’re extremely dramatic, they will do almost anything to be liked or get what they want… etc. No, Glee is not always realistic, but it’s not always as far-fetched as everyone likes to think.

Also, I really liked the idea of Sam/Mercedes (I refuse to use ridiculous nicknames) for the 5 minutes that we got to see them together before the whole Chord debacle this year. So I’m actually looking forward to seeing them together.

Comment by Lauren – November 29, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • First of all, I didn’t list all of the clubs. Second of all, I’m sure some to a lot High Schools are like this. However there’s no way that most high schools have that many clubs that are that well-attended and that well-funded. Education is kind of in crisis right now. Teenagers also have a short attention span for extracurricular activities. The problem with Glee is that they won’t just admit that they’ve created a shiny shiny privileged high school and go with it. They’ll throw in a budget crisis to threaten Glee Club or the Cheerios or whatever when it’s convenient. Eh. I don’t know.

Comment by mawhi – November 30, 2011 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But yeah Sam/Mercedes is awesome and dorktastic and beautiful. Bolo tie.

Comment by mawhi – November 30, 2011 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’d be surprised… my school even had a Scrabble club.

Comment by Ashley – November 30, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was intrigued by the idea of Sam & Mercedes, but there has been no spark in the 2 short scenes related to them being together. I will give it a chance.

Comment by Winnie – November 29, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as we get to see Sam in a speedo, who cares!!!!!! Woof

Comment by Hrs – November 29, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh stop hatin!!! Sam/Mercedes is going to happen, get over it!! Kum isn’t even canon and never will be, stfu!!! And Quinn is a cheating slut, she doesn’t deserve Sam!! Samcedes ftw!!!

Comment by Samcedes – November 29, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well I’m kind of excited. Wanda Sykes would be hilarious as Roz…great suggestion. Sam shirtless – I’m totally good with that. :) Sam and Mercedes – I’m ok with that. I wish he never would have left! How did they explain his absense again? I can’t remember…whoops. I really like Sam. I liked Sam with Quinn too…as far as the new characters I’m not too worried about them taking away time from others..

Comment by Robin – November 29, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sincerely hope they are respectful of synchronized swimming as a sport…. but somehow, I’m afraid they will not be.

Comment by Molly – November 29, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe I was so excited for Chord’s return to Glee. Samcedes? No. Just no. The fact that it came out of nowhere and made no sense was bad enough, but the idea of Sam chasing after her and trying to woo her after she was so dismissive of him? That would be painful to watch, so I think I’ll just spare myself. Sorry Chord! I was going to start watching Glee again next week, but I’m afraid I’ll just have to wait for your next project.

Comment by Lola – November 29, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, now I’m pretty sure they’re trying to destroy the show on purpose. They want us to hate it so they can kill it and move on, I can’t think of another reason why the writing and plots are so bad.

Comment by Monkeyrat – November 29, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did Samcedes come out of nowhere???? Why do haters bring this up????? They made a connection during Prom Night, or did you haters skip that episode???

Comment by Samcedes – November 29, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, just like how certain people managed to skip ‘Duets.’

Comment by Thomas – November 29, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These completely idiotic storylines make me regret actively participating in the efforts to keep Chord on the show that took place over the summer. Glee has gone ridiculously downhill and every time I think it can’t get worse, it does. They really should just let Sam be single – whenever they shove him into a relationship it’s a disaster that only succeeds in embarrassing him and it’s sad to watch.

I am so sorry this is the garbage they’ve given Chord after they chose to bring him back, he definitely deserves better. And I’m especially sorry that all of the Sam fans who were so excited for his return are stuck with this.

Comment by S – November 29, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Mercedes has some kind of vested interest in the synchronized swim team that we’ve never heard of? Otherwise how exactly is this supposed to be part of a plan to win back Mercedes? It makes no sense. Adding 4 new characters to participate in this storyline is also ludicrous. But what else can you expect from writers who care more about itunes money than the stories they write. That’s supposedly why Darren Criss stuck around to spoil everything. I don’t get the appeal, but then again, I don’t get why people are flocking to the theaters to see Twilight either.

Comment by courtney – November 29, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget new characters – I really want to see more Blaine – and Darren Criss with his shirt off, wet, swimming……

Comment by econruth – November 29, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They can make us both happy, econruth. Blaine joins the swim team and you get him mostly naked and wet. Then he drowns, which would make the Blaine-hatin’ masses ecstatic.

Comment by courtney – November 29, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow glee what the hell are you doing? why add more character if they don’t write for the characters they alredy have, and it doesn’t matter the only characters that have a good storyline are the gay ones.
    i’m gay but glee is making me homophobic.

Comment by too much – November 29, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did they have to bring back a useless character like Sam to the show, only to win back Mercedes? LAME!!!!

Comment by Chris – November 29, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget the controversy! Just give us the best possible co-ed Esther Williams number ever seen on network TV!!!

Comment by Queerbec – November 29, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Wanda Sykes. She’s annoying, more annoying than Chord Overstreet. Maybe Portia de Rossi/DeGeneres? As for Webber, stay with Caprica, only Alessandra Torresani

Comment by Carmichael – November 29, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you actually mean someone white?

Comment by Dana Black – December 9, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post