Ratings: Once Upon a Time Doesn't Get 'Lost' Opposite NFL's Heavy Hitters

Due to almost an hour’s worth of NFL game overrun on CBS, Once Upon a Time this Sunday was pitted against not only NBC’s Steelers-Chiefs match-up but also an engorged 60 Minutes, yet luckily managed to (mostly) slip the tackle.

The ABC freshman, which on top of all else was coming off a one-week bye, drew 10.7 million total viewers while scoring a 3.4 demo rating. That’s a dip of just 6 percent in total audience, and a forgivable 11 percent drop with the 18-49 crowd.

Interestingly, Once hit series highs in both the Teens (up 18 percent) and Kids 2-11 (surging 31 percent) demos. P.S. Who spied the Apollo candy bar that Henry brought along for his adventure into the hatch sinkhole? P.P.S. Yes, that was a shard of Snow White’s glass coffin that Regina was sure to hide. P.P.P.S. As a tweeter reminded me, Archie’s dalmatian is named Pongo, heh.

What were you watching — cricket or football? (I’m here all night!)

The Walking Dead Finale Recap: Barn Storm

Elsewhere on Sunday, not much to report. Pending final numbers, The Amazing Race (~9 mil/2.4) seems to be down double digits. ABC’s presentation of Mitch Albom’s Have a Little Faith had a very little demo rating (1.1) and just half the audience of the Hallmark/November Christmas telepic that CBS aired a year ago.

Boardwalk Empire: What Did You Think of Last Night’s [Spoiler]?!

Among Fox fare, The Simpsons (5.6 mil/2.6) only slipped a bit, while Allen Gregory (3.1 mil/1.5) plunged more than 20 percent.

1. Vech says:

Once can’t lose, its audience is clear on what it wants to watch

2. Michelle says:

Pretty typical considering OUAT was off last week. I know quite a few people that I know forgot it was on! But great to see it holding strong.

3. Melissa says:

I caught up with Once last week. Great show! I’m really enjoying it!

4. Ed says:

I am so glad OUAT is still doing well. Love it!

5. fotreya says:

There wasn`t ONCE last week.
    The drop is logical.
    BEST NEW TV SHOW, indeed¡

6. joe says:

What a ridiculous excuse. The football on CBS was over before the show started. I watched both. The game was over 10 minutes before the show. When OUAT had to go against the World Series and football for a couple of weeks, it didn’t drop. I really can’t stand every person on TV sites, who report ratings, making excuses for why a show is down. It’s down. Period. No excuses.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The point is — and I have clarified in the story — is that ONCE faced a 24-percent more robust 60 MINUTES as a result of the CBS overrun. And that is a factor.

• cathiecat says:

Not everyone is on PST…people in the central and eastern zones had once against football.

7. Dawn says:

I was watching Once… Love that show!!!

8. DL says:

Can we just call it “Once” for short? Forgive me, but OUAT just sounds… wrong.

• DL says:

And for the nitpickers, I don’t mean “sounds” literally. You know what I mean.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

TVLine is an adamant supporter of the ONCE movement, yes ;) And we have Jane Espenson’s “endorsement” in that regard.

• Alice says:

Hooray! Because EW did pretty much everything to sink it for the first couple weeks (Jeff Jenson, clearly NOT a fan, although he LOVES Grimm, go figure) and I was worried it wouldn’t last. It’s nice to find a site that supports both Once and Fringe!

9. Katy says:

Was watching Once…..I noticed the Apollo candy bar right away.
    I thought that the glass shard was from Evil queen (Regina’s) mirror..
    are you sure it it from Snow’s casket.

Prince charming’s hair from next week’s episode looks tragic….to say the least.

10. Julia says:

After I watched Once Upon A Time, I watched Hell On Wheels. Any word on how well it did last night?

11. kevin says:

Fox better cancel ALLEN GREGORY sooner rather than later. Worst animated show in recent years.

12. RPB says:

Matt, loving the fact that you’re clearly completely devoted to this show despite the fact we’re only 5 episodes in.

I’m in the same boat; Once would be my favourite show this year if not for SoA. And it’s mad to think that those two can even be put together in a sentence…

Never thought I’d find a show that would be able to fill the void left by Smallville but Once manages it, thanks to: the ambitious premise, a fantastic set of entwining backstories, and its ability to pull incredible guest stars (Richard Schiff!)!

But now to business; I’m dreading to think which of Storybrooke’s own will be biting the dust come the fall finale. Any scoop?
    I wouldn’t begrudge you revealing either the sex of the character, their age bracket, or even if they eat Apollo bars… And who wouldn’t?!

13. s. says:

OUAT is a fun show! ABC ppl are brilliant. I can’t remember what was the last prime time show that the whole family could watch together! Kids to 30’s and 50 somethings are enjoy it.

14. Nonya says:

Love Once! So happy that it’s doing well.

The doctor’s name is Dr. Whale – I’m thinking he’s Monstro and not the wolf. Don’t think we’ve met the Big Bad Wolf yet.

15. WyldeMan says:

I know I wasn’t the only viewer who noticed that just left of the dolls in Mr Golds shop sat Aladdin’s lamp, was I?

16. Annika says:

I just watched all of the 5 episodes of Once back to back because I didn’t have anything else to watch and WOW this show is GOOD! Silly me, I thought it was going to be silly… I hope a lot more people discover it. It’s a great family show, too.

17. Ranger fan says:

I think the Big Bad Wolf is the mechanic. Red was worried that he would steal her wolf ornament in her car. He was also hanging around Red in the crowd in the last episode.

18. Julie says:

Just saw a picture of Emily de Raven (I hope that’s right lol) as Belle… man I suddenly regret even wondering why she wouldn’t be perfect for the role! She looked so pretty!!!!
    I’m loving this show soooo much!! I wish we would have more Snow and Charming though those two are just too perfect for each other!!

19. Liz says:

They need to cancel Allen Gregory. That show is just WRONG.

20. Jules says:

Honestly i try to Watch And enjoy it but after 15 minutes was bored…and let’s see if They can survive their 1st season first,then if ssn2..then maybe call It a true success…but the fairy tale (I think) will end,bcuz will ran out of cheesy storylines…
    Plus honestly JMorrison annoy me(same thing happen with her obcessive behavior with house & chase was very happy when she left)
    She trying too hard…maybe good for 1 episode,but not 15 or 21