Get a First Look at NBC's The Firm: 'Abby, It's Happening Again'

Mitch McDeere’s choice in workplaces continues to leave something to be desired.

NBC’s The Firm, premiering in January, is based on the John Grisham best-seller (turned Tom Cruise movie), but picks up with the characters some 10 years later. Having disappeared into the Witness Protection Program after taking down Bendini, Lambert & Locke, legal eagle Mitch and his wife Abby — played by Josh Lucas (The Lincoln Lawyer) and Molly Parker (Deadwood) — are poised to restart their lives, in Washington, D.C., only to find that past dangers as well as new threats loom.

TVLine’s Guide to Fall Finale and Winter Return Dates

Judging by the second promo here, Battlestar Galactica alum Tricia Helfer, playing a law firm boss who hires Mitch as a senior partner, falls into the latter category.

The Firm kicks off with a two-hour premiere on Sunday, Jan, 8, before moving to Thursdays at 10 pm. Will you be checking it out?

Comments (15)

• Yes, I will check it out.

Comment by Auntie J – November 28, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Josh Lucas – also one of the BEST John Grisham books. Would love to see more of his books turned into series.

Comment by Trista – November 28, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww! My MOTHER will be SO happy!

Comment by ang – November 28, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Josh Lucas! I’m there.

Comment by Ben Kabak – November 28, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love the book the Firm and think this show could be great… what a terrible premise to start from.

It shouldn’t have been a sequel, it should have been a reimagining.

Still, I’ll check it out to see how well they do it, most likely.

Comment by Ben – November 28, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So wait, Mitch is still praticing law? Like that would happen. They must have decided to forgo protection or something. Way to keep a low profile, going to work for a DC law firm.

Comment by znachki – November 28, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really hope the show does well, and that the pilot is as good as it needs to be to hook viewers. Prime Suspect turned out to be one of the best new shows of the season, but because some aspects of the pilot (that were subsequently toned down) turned off viewers, it never found its audience.

Keeping my fingers crossed for this, Awake, and Smash. NBC needs some winners.

Comment by DL – November 28, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He keeps his same name in Witness Protection. I’ll give it a shot since I loved the book but I agree it shouldn’t be a sequel

Comment by Scott – November 28, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the book, loved the movie and think the casting is great so I will definitely give this show a shot. However, whether I stick with it depends on its quality and the quality of other news shows as I cannot live life on TV alone. (I know..blasphemy! lol)

Comment by Pam – November 28, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have not read the book or seen the movie will I know what’s going on? I wanna read the book but not sure I can finish it before the show starts, slow reader. Hate Crusie afraid it would take away from the plot of the movie.

Comment by Tori – November 28, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The book and movie ended differently (whether he kept the money or not). Is the show following the book or the movie?

Comment by Lisa – November 28, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wanted to check this out because of the lead (Lucas), but Thursdays at 10 is already booked on my DVR w/ Private Practice and The Mentalist. Not a good time spot at all!!

Comment by Danielle H – November 28, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll DVR this and give it a try but I’m watching Private Practice Live

Comment by fernando – November 28, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Firm was a really great novel and the move was a great adaptation — even Tom Cruise was good as Mitch McDeere. Josh Lucas is an underrated actor. It will be interesting to see what he can bring to the role.

Comment by Jimmy – November 28, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hollywood is seriously running out of ideas. Not sure if I’ll watch …, and it’s not on at a good time. The Mentalist and USA shows take up that spot on my DVR already.

Comment by Jill – November 29, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post