Glee First Look: Watch Brittana & Co. Perform 'I Kissed a Girl' and Check Out Photo Gallery

Nothing screams “lesbian solidarity anthem” like “I Kissed a Girl,” so it’s no surprise that Fox’s Glee chose to cover Katy Perry’s sapphic smash for Santana’s big coming out episode (airing this Tuesday at 8/7c).

What is surprising is how fresh the ubiquitous tune comes off in this context. Maybe it’s the fact that the ladies of New Directions (and the Troubletones) appear to be having such a blast with the material. Or perhaps it’s the hilarious reaction shots from the all-male peanut gallery.

Major Glee Spoiler Alert: Find Out Who’s Getting Engaged!

Whatever it is, it works.

Push PLAY below and see if you agree, then check out our slideshow of photos from the episode.

Loading video...

1. gleekaus says:

I love Dianna and Lea’s chemistry on screen. I want to see more, they are throwing away such a great dynamic that they could be exploiting…

• Big Bob says:

Are there any straight characters left on Glee?

• Dennis says:

few, this show has turned into a piece of gay/lesbian propaganda it’s sad the first season was so good but it got hijacked.

• DUH says:

there’s plenty. get over yourselves.

• Sally says:

I agree, I won’t let my children watch this show.

• ms_mae says:

close minded biggotry.
            you should be ashamed of yourself.
            it’s just a fluffy, have fun tv show, the example youe setting for your children(or rather not setting) will leave a far greater impression on them.

• Cloudy Knight says:

Oh, the horror, I do declare. My little children’s delicate sensibility may be terribly damaged if they see gay people!

• Phil says:

While I totally agree about the gay/lesbian push during the second and third season, I gotta admit that lesbians are sexy. I mean the “Sanatana-like” lesbians, not the “Coach Bestie-like” ones.

• the girl says:

Coach Beiste is not a lesbian, and even if she was, she is a gorgeous woman. And even more importantly, lesbians don’t give a FRAK what you, Phil, find sexy about them anyway.

• Phil says:

Calm down @the girl! Nobody cares about YOU bitch! I was posting my ideas, and if you don’t like them, don’t read them! Plus, Beiste isn’t gorgeous AT ALL.

• jennrae says:

Whoa, Phil. There’s no need to call anyone a bitch, except for you, of course. You were posting your opinions, the girl was posting hers, so if YOU don’t like them, then YOU don’t read them. The same thing goes for if you don’t like MY opinions. Bitch.

• Wes Hardin says:

I agree, this show has become nothing but gay propaganda

• Ashley says:

Yeah, because there’s only about 2 or 3 gay people in the world right enough.

• Captain says:

You can talk about two female actors having chemistry without romantic implications. I think the poster meant that Lea/Dianna should have more scenes be it friendship or rivalry-related.

2. Peta says:

‘Nothing screams “lesbian solidarity anthem” like “I Kissed a Girl,”’
    … I hope that’s sarcasm. It’s fun and catchy and Lea and Naya sound great and all, but I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed in Glee for using a song which really undermines Santana’s storyline. Sure, they cut out the most offensive lines, but it still ain’t great. I just hope that the fact this is a song about girls kissing being bad and hoping boyfriends don’t mind is addressed either in the episode or by reviewers at the very least. Prove me wrong, Glee.

• CC says:

What exactly is so offensive about the song? It’s not about being a lesbian (at least as far as I can tell), it’s about being bi-curious and I suppose the worry over it affecting her current relationship (which happens to be with a guy). People really need to lighten up a little. It’s not like the song is saying a girl kissing a girl is bad.

• Brooke says:

It’s about doing it for male attention. Which is quite the opposite of lesbianism.

• Sean C. says:

Well, technically, Katy is doing it because “she got so brave”, “lost her discretion”, and finds girls “so magical”; nothing to do with guys.

Still a totally inappropriate song choice, though they at least farmed out the really hetero lines to Rachel.

3. Maria says:

Um… I Kissed A Girl is definitely NOT a “lesbian anthem”. This song is completely inappropriate to rep an actual lesbian, but seeing Santana so proud about her sexuality for once saves this. I can’t wait for this episode, Naya is such a strong actress.

4. Sweet says:

Boo. Everybody’s gay on Glee. So over it.

• abc says:

Good thing you have the other 99% of television to get your heterosexual fix.

• Chris says:

Seriously? Everybody? I could 3 gay and one bisexual out of the probably 15 regulars on Glee… I think that is hardly EVERYBODY.

• Dennis says:

kurt-gay
        blaine-gay
        santanna-gay
        brit-bi
        sebastion-gay
        Karofsky-gay
        so far…
        Glee has gone from a show with gay characters to a gay show and i will almost say too gay and i watched Will and Grace it comes off like it’s preaching homosexuality. I miss the old show from season one

• brooke says:

Will – straight
          Emma – straight
          Sam – straight
          Rory – straight
          Lauren – straight
          Shelby – straight

I mean, if you want to list every single character we can do that. Look at all those gay characters on this gay show. /sarcasm

• Phoebi says:

Coach Beiste – straight
            Burt – straight
            Terri – straight
            Becky – straight
            April Rhodes – straight
            Cooter Menkins – straight

• Laura Tencelski says:

People are stupid! :-)

• D says:

most of their storys have been pushed into the background while Glee has focused more and more on the gay characters storylines. You can’t honestly say otherwise or it just makes you out to be a liar. Glee has moved into an agenda driven show. First season was so great

• Tottsie says:

When Glee focuses just on the gay regulars, then, yes! everybody’s gay.

5. anon says:

really anxious about this episode and this particular (questionable) song choice isn’t helping either lol. i’m a gay man and i feel a lot more connected to santana than any other character, so knowing what’s coming in this episode gives me so many feelings. but yah, i do actually love this performance – it’s fun and i understand glee’s intention, but still.. out of all the songs in the world to choose for a lesbian character. whatever, naya sounds great as usual and i’m always torn with lea when it comes to singing pop.

6. BrittanaIsOn says:

It warms my heart you have the words BRITTANA in the title. That is all.

7. scooterbeanbag says:

They should have went with Jill Sobule’s “I Kiss a Girl” instead. That’s actually a much more genuine take on the subject. I also would have accepted a mashup of the 2.

8. katie says:

So, is Brittney gay? Why don’t they ever address this? Are we supposed to believe she *is* gay and we’re just not hearing anything about it, or that she’s so dumb she doesn’t know what she’s doing and is just placating Santana as her friend? I don’t like either of those options.

• Colto says:

Brittany is bisexual (or pansexual). Brad Falchuk said so. She said she was not a unicorn, but more a bicorn. She said she’s made out with boys AND girls. Se’s shown at least as much interest in girls as in boys. She wanted to sing a duet with Santana when Santana was still in denial about her sexuality. She wanted to go to prom with Santana…
      If you paid attention to that you wouldn’t be confused.
      Alos they don’t adress it because sexuality is not a big deal for Brittany.

• Katie says:

Uh, I guess if I don’t glue myself to every episode and read Brad Falchuk interviews (who?) I’m not paying attention. Did not realize Glee required this level of devotion to follow.

• K. says:

Brittany is bisexual, this isn’t news. She is fine with it and isn’t struggling with her sexuality like the other queer characters on Glee. /shrug

9. Letna says:

I’m not a fan of this song, but Lea and Naya sound great together.
    I can’t wait for the episode, and hope there is a lot of Brittana moments.

10. Lauren says:

Yet another instance where I have to apologize to Katy Perry’s songwriters for my negative thoughts about them. It’s not that she has crappy songs, it’s just that she’s not good enough to sing them. I thought Teenage Dream might have been a fluke but no, this has now proven to me that even with the omnipresent auto tuning in the industry a crappy pop singer can ruin a decent pop song. I hated this song when Katy Perry sang it and now I am totally buying it off of iTunes. Thanks Glee.

11. Lily says:

Am I the only one disappointed we didn’t get some sapphic Rachel/Quinn choreography in this number? I need some Faberry for the win!

12. Charles says:

I love glee!!! It’s an amazing show! People I think are taking it too seriously bc all of these comments about how it’s a gay show just bc it’s a show with multiple gay characters is ridiculous! Do you not watch the show? It’s soooo much more then that. The message is clear, so if you don’t like it anymore stop reading about it and leaving hateful comments although you won’t but it’s ok! There’s more love than hate!

13. Phoebi says:

I love how they included Sugar in the performance

14. WW says:

How can it be a “coming out” episode when she’s been snogging girls for the last two seasons. It’s not like it’s been a big secret because anything involving Brittney can’t be a secret (the girl is way too stupid to know how to be discreet on any topic) So did Santana somehow forget she’s been a lesbian all this time because of her occasional visits to boybangingville? Sounds more like Glee is trying to drum up some interest in a rehashed storyline than give us anything new.

15. MAG says:

The character of Santana is a cruel, selfish, mean, nasty, manipulative, hard bitch. She has virtually no redeeming qualities and would stab anyone it the back at any time simply because she just the very definition of “hateful person.”

The problem the writers have is that now that she’s an “official” lesbian isn’t going to make her any LESS of what she already is: a selfish, mean, nasty manipulative, hard, unlikeable bitch. All it means is that she’s going to inflict all those qualities on the unsuspecting lesbian community instead of the straight male community. God (or the non-denominational deity of your choice), help them.

16. sam says:

Puck’s mohawk is getting annoyingly long

17. veer says:

Don’t be so sure about that. Remember the scène back in season 2 where Santana expressed her feelings for Brittany and said how she realized why she was such a bitch all the time? It was because of her fear for being judged for having those feelings. I think/hope that after her coming out and the acceptance from the gleeclubbers she’ll tone down a bit. Although, her snarkiness is what I personally like the most about her, so hopefully she won’t lose it all.

• Monkeyrat says:

It’s nice to see someone who actually watches, understands and remembers the episodes and character development. TY, veer. Oh, and x2 about her snarkiness ;)

In other news, Ausiello either has the worst sarcasm skills I’ve ever seen in my life or is becoming totally inane. A “lesbian solidarity anthem”? Really? It’s not even “lesbian” to begin with, it’s a straight-girls-unite-let’s-titillate-the-boys song. Please, at least show a little respect for the girls who actually happen to be real lesbians (not tv characters or bicurious drunk girls) and have a hard time living in our judgemental, hating and discriminating world.

This song is one of the worst choice ever made since the beginning of Glee and IMO is even worse than Artie singing a newborn girl/daddy song (Isn’t She Lovely) to Brittany, which says a lot about how embarrassing and inappropriate it is. I usually fully support Santana (because hello, best character ever!) and all-girls numbers, and I admit that vocally they did well… but this time I’ll pass.

At this point I’d even take a Puck/Shelby or Wemma scene over this awkward droolingfest because there’s really nothing amusing watching Santana acting like it’s no big deal, frivolously smiling while they tease the guys, just one episode after being outed, crying, freaking out to the point she slaps Finn. Seriously though. Glee and continuity, worst pairing ever. It’s like Fringe: Glee lives over here and continuity is over there. Well, at least Fringe managed to merge both the universes…

18. veer says:

Oh this was in reply to MAG

19. *groan* says:

To think I was concerned before this season started about cast members not returning for season 4, now I doubt I’LL even make it to the end of THIS season!
    So unbelievably bored but such trite writing, one minute they are devastated beyond belief the next they’re busting into saccharine song complete with cheesy grins and sappy dance moves?!
    I can’t take much more of this, my hope the show will regain it’s season 1 greatness is evaporating FAST.

20. Wes says:

Even though I like this performance, I have to agree with some of the above comments. Glee has become overproduced and inconsistent, and although Ryan Murphy promised to make the third season “Season 1 quality”, I’ve so far seen more elements of the second season than the first. While I will always love this show, I wouldn’t be surprised if the show doesn’t make it to a fourth season at all.

21. TJ says:

It is 2011. Isn’t it time for our thinking to evolve. Gay, or straight what does it matter? If you are judging someone by one aspect of who they are you are foolish and borderline ignorant.

22. Peng9803 says:

Why are they doing a song from the PILOT again?? Tina sang it to sound edgy.

23. Nikki says:

This video reminded me exactly of why I enjoy Glee. It’s fun, catchy and they were obviously having a ball performing it. Some people really need to remember this is meant to be light entertainment and stop taking it so seriously.

24. AndyLuvr says:

I hope someone onscreen in this episode of “Glee” gives a shoutout to the fact that this was Tina’s audition song back in Season 1 to get into The New Directions.

Also, enough with the Katy Perry covers, please!!!

25. 123 says:

Can Santana sing all songs? She is awful person but she has best voice. It’s always interesting to listen to her. While all the songs that Rachel sings sound the same. Santana and Mercedes need to do duets every week.

26. Ti says:

I’ve been DVR’ing Glee all this season and haven’t (or wouldn’t) got the time to watch it again… last season was disapointing but this season seems to be fine. I’ll start to watch again to prove me right or wrong. About Santana, I agree, she’s an ugly character but she’s a person too and even the most annoying ones in our life have stories to tell, some of which define who they are. The character I’ve got enough on Glee is Sue, her nastiness is too much and has lost any redeeming quality.

27. shawn says:

yeah i wasnt really feeling the purpose of this song. it isn’t about lesbian acceptance or empowerment its about skan*y girls being drunk and kissing girls for attention. so im gay and i can kinda see where people are coming from saying that the show focuses more on its gay characters than its straight ones sometimes. a large chunk of season 2 was primarly about kurt and being bullied. while i applaud the show taking a serious look at bullying and its affects, they kinda dwelled on it for a few too many episodes. i really dont think that they needed to have kurt actually transfer to dalton after intially meeting blaine, or just stay there for an episode or two same for blaine coming to mckinely at the start of this season, if he has to come at all it should have been later in the season. im hoping for more rachel and finn time, and not just happy times for them, i like them better when there’s drama :)