Boardwalk Empire: React To This Week's [Spoiler]

If you have yet to watch Sunday’s Boardwalk Empire, hit the nearest exit. Everyone else, read on…

Jimmy (Michael Pitt), who had been slowly losing it in recent weeks, suffered his biggest loss to date – and so did viewers.

In a shocking twist in the final minutes of this week’s episode, Jimmy’s innocent wife Angela (played by the luminous Aleksa Palladino) was brutally murdered by one of her husband’s enemies, Philly crime boss Manny.

Here’s how it went down:

Already suspecting Jimmy of ordering a hit on him, Manny became further agitated by the new boss of Atlantic City’s lame idea of a debt repayment. So he set out to kill Jimmy, but, in a tragic twist, bumped off his wife Angela’s new girlfriend Louise instead — while Angela herself looked on. As a horrified Angela begged him to let her live, Manny aimed the barrel of his gun at her, sneered, “Your husband did this to you,” and then pulled the trigger.

Not once but twice.

It was a haunting image and easily one of the most pivotal — and heartbreaking — deaths in show’s two-year run. It’s also a homicide that will likely reverberate through the final two episodes of the season.

(Note: This was the major female death I’ve been teasing for weeks.)

Other highlights from the Dave Flebotte-scripted hour.

* Van Alden received divorce papers from Rose.

* Teddy, tired of his polio-stricken sis getting all of Mom’s attention, feigned paralysis. Margaret punished him with a slap across the face and later expressed concern to Nucky that, “He’s got his father’s cruelty… his sister is lying crippled in the hospital; he knows that.”

* Jimmy offered to drop Chalky’s murder charge in exchange for an end to the workers strike, but he was having none of it.

* Esther “I’m Sure I Don’t Know What You’re Talking About” Randolph (an unrecognizable Julianne Nicholson) started sniffing around about Nucky’s possible role in the death of Margaret’s abusive hubby, Hans.

But back to the tragic death of Angela, were you as devastated by it as I was? Hit the comments with your snappy judgments and eulogies.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Recaps

1. Meg says:

so glad it wasnt tara!!!!!!!!!!

2. Dessy says:

Jimmy is going to go totally CRAZY on their asses.

3. Kelly says:

Jimmy is going to lose it. You always feel like he never wanted to become a gangster, and now it costs him his wife.

And what an added sad touch to have him drive into Princeton at the end.

4. Rose Simpson says:

While it will upset Jimmy, I think Richard Harrow is going to be extremely upset, since he seemed to genuinely care for her…. If I were Manny, I’d be watching out for Richard. This episode certainly had the WOW ending to it!

5. Bob says:

Richard Harrow is going to see the portrait that she did of him, and he is going to bring the thunder.

6. RE16 says:

Shocked… just shocked. I mean…

7. skylark914 says:

My favorite part of the 11/27/11 episode was hearing Liszt in the background instead of the usual scratchy tunes! It went well with the events that occurred.

8. Braatmom says:

One of the reasons I watch little television….it is rare that I sit fifteen minutes after a show is over going ” OH MY GOSH!!!!” Amazing twist. I think Mickey is going to be found out as well…and yes Richard has the tin man’s heart which is going to be hard to watch. I also think Jimmy going to Princeton is more than escaping Manny since he’s talked about it before ..

9. Terry says:

I didn’t see it coming until Jimmy said he was going to town, then expected it. Richard is my favorite character on this show. His reaction will be the the explosive one I think.

10. Smigglesby says:

Definitely not devastated. Palladino was the weaker link in a solid cast.

11. JG says:

wow what an end to a terrific episode..seeing jimmy lose control of the city he wants to control so bad, to see nucky not backing down, van aldens divorce is sure to mess him up even more..and the end scene was so well done, perfect cinema..i didnt think horvitz would kill angie, but at the same time as the scene got down to the gun being pointed at her i said to myself “kill her” not because im a sicko, haha, but because of the ramifications that will come in the final few episodes because of it. its gonne be another great season finale i bet for this amazing series, well done again HBO, the only channel i can trust for quality series

12. Mano Pagalavan says:

Several key moments, great writing once again, consistent as ever. The father is first shown hiding a glass of whiskey, and then when Margaret says that she would like to believe that her daughter will live, the rather responds, “Wouldn’t you rather believe in something real?”

And seeing as this is HBO and a gangster series, after havin watched The Sopranos and The Wire, I’ve been expecting major deaths, it’s all a part of great shows, and so Angie’s death was definitely surprising and keeps the show’s momentum.

13. mike says:

That was intense. Had a feeling the girlfriend was gonna come out of the bathroom, but wow. Richard and Jimmy have already done some crazy stuff (scalping one of the investors, can’t remember his name), I’m curious as to who is going to discover angela and louise and how. As I remember jimmy and angies son was at his mothers?

14. shelley514 says:

As soon as Angela said their son was with Jimmy’s mom, I had the feeling she wasn’t long for this world. Jimmy’s mom will be pleased; now she gets to completely step into Angela’s role, move into the home, care for her grandson and be Jimmy’s psuedo-wife (all exactly as she wants.) Will those kisses to her son’s lips turn into something more? Hmmmmm. #WhataMess I’m also quite curious about Richard Harrow’s reaction. There was a genuine intimacy between him and Angela when she painted him.

But folks, how is Jimmy going to spin Angela’s death with her lesbian lover? What will Richard think about that? Will Jimmy be as angered by Angela’s deception as he will be by Manny’s revenge? Will Jimmy even suspect Manny as the murderer or will the other circumstances of the death puzzle him and cause him to think someone else was behind it? Stay turned. I’m thinking this story line won’t be easily wrapped up in the 2 short episodes left of this season.

• Daisy says:

I don’t think the lesbian thing will be an issue. Jimmy already knew she was with a woman before when she almost left for Paris. All he said was “Did you love her?” With 2 women together in the 20’s, I think it would be looked at has more of a kinky thing than a lesbian scandal. AND…you are so right, that’s exactly what Jimmy’s mom wants, to move right in and take care of her son and grandson and be a good mom-wife to Jimmy. I can’t take one more of her kisses.

15. RivkaS says:

The twist is the note that Jimmy was reading in the previews for next episode. The note may have been from Manny but I believe it was from Angie relative to her relationship and perhaps – leaving him, thereby, setting him up to look as though he had motive for killing his wife and her supposed lesbian lover. I agree that Angie was the lamest actress of the main cast and her Dorothy Hamill hairstyle strayed dramatically from the historical authenticity of the series. Also difficult to watch was her obnoxious lover, whom Angela “saved” – please. It was not characteristic of her to save herself let alone anyone else. I also knew Dunn B Pernsley was going to take a greater role as the jailhouse scene was worthy of an Emmy on its own. Glad to see him active and cannot wait to see Richard tear up the butcher. Episode 11 is going to be great!

• tbaby says:

I did not like Angies’ character at all.. Jimmy needs a different type of wife. I did not expect her to exit the show in that way.. it was shocking. I am looking forward to how Richard reacts.

• Flower says:

Wow. I was thinking while watching the episode (and being surprised to see her because she’s been completely sidelined this episode) how dead-on her hairstyle was. Maybe you’re not as familiar with 1920’s styles as you think you are?

As for Angela- I always liked her and felt badly for her that the boyfriend (and later husband) that she knew before the War never came back to her. I thought there could have been a lot more room for her development as a “modern woman”- one of the artistic spirits that flourished in this time, but alas, it was not meant to be in this series. *shrugs* One less female role on a show that is dominated by men (yet again).

16. surion says:

That was a great episode ! Sure the death of Angela was predictable during the episode (those two never got along, so the sweet moment beetween Jimmy and Angela near the end of the episode was bad news coming), but great acting on both Angela and Horvitz for the final scene. So not really a great twist for me but surely a great moment of tv.
    Overall I’m glad they wacked Jimmy’s wife, which is really going to have unpredictable bloody ripple effects, because she and the couple “struggle” angle were a real bump (this stoyline and the Van Alden one were equally problematic) in an otherwise very entertaining show. The whole lesbian angle in the beginning of the 20th century could have been better exploited, but it ended up slowing the already steady pace of the ensemble, and gosh it was sometime trully depresssing !
    Anyway the remaining episodes should be a lot of fun !

17. Marc says:

Rose asking for a divorce from Van Alden? Well, we all saw that coming. I mean can you blame her? He’s never been home and he had a baby with someone else to give as a gift to her.. Huh? I sure that isn’t really plausible.. Bottom line, he has no one to blame but himself.

18. Ebony says:

Another thing: Obviously Jimmy isnt cut out to run things or needs to learn alot more before he can be the brains vs the braun. his being hotheaded and tempermental just keeps getting him into more and more hot water. and why on earth, didnt he take precautions once he realized Manny wasn’t dead?! his first thought, should have been that Manny would blame him for the attempted hit!

19. Ray says:

This wasnt a major death. She was the third most interesting woman on a show with three major female characters. By the way, the death in Walking Dead last night was much, much bigger in my opinion.

20. Steve says:

Anybody else think this will be the catalyst to get Jimmy and Nucky back on the same side? I still don’t think they are going to be estranged for the whole run, and they’ve made a point of showing that Jimmy still cares about him. So, I can definitely see him ending up going to Nucky to help him get through this.

I didn’t even think about what Richard would do, and they made a point of not showing him in the previews. So, i’m wondering if it’s something big and they do not want to hint at it.

21. Gavin says:

Why does Dormondy keep relying on two-bit thugs for his assassinations when he has a military trained sniper on the payroll? Richard Harrow could kill the butcher from 300 yards away, why risk sending some scrub to his door with a shotgun?

• Jeff says:

Well, Richard does have a conscience, so he probably wouldn’t have wanted to kill Nucky (Richard seemed uncomfortable during the discussion of setting up the killing of Nucky) and Jimmy doesn’t want to have to be directly responsible for any more killings than he has to, which is why he let Waxy kill Many.

• Daisy says:

I actually don’t think Richard has a conscience when it comes to doing hits. he scalped that oldtime investor without missing a beat.

• Edith says:

richard said straight up he wouldn’t kill nucky and I don’t think he would have had a problem killing manny- because he hasn’t been kind to richard like nucky and his family were- that said, jimmy really didn’t have reason to do it and just gave that info to waxy as leverage on his other deal. it wasn’t personal with manny other than he owed him a couple of bucks, it wasn’t like he didn’t have the money- he was just didn’t want to give it to him because manny was being such bitch about it.

22. Kris1522 says:

WTF is the only way I can describe how I felt about the murder. This is most defiantly one of the best written shows on television however you come to expect tragic plot twists with anything Scorsese is involved with. Well done and I can’t wait to see what Richard will do next week. Crazy!

23. kushman513 says:

jus watched it last. good ending. jimmy is in way over his head. he was better off doing the hits hisself or having richard do em. CHEATERS MUST DIE!!!!!!!!! I Feel rich will flip out more than jimmy once he sees she a CHEATER.if nucky can manage to stay out of prison he’s a beast. The last two episodes should be awesome.

24. Jeff says:

Waxy Gordon has to be the worst crime boss – his one man he has planted in Manny’s shop goes missing and he does nothing, and then Waxy’s hitman gets killed (or is at the least, also missing) and Waxy doesn’t seem to follow up on the hit.
    I was surprised the writer’s had Many kill Angela, because at that time there was more of a taboo about killing women, especially women uninvolved in the business.
    I’m wondering if Richard will be mad at Jimmy for (indirectly) bringing about Angela’s death. The previews seem to show Jimmy being charged for the murder, so I guess the cops think Jimmy killed Angela out of jealousy.

25. Flora says:

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if somehow Angela’s death comes to a nice intersection with Margaret’s admission to Nucky about her indiscretion with Owen? Nucky will be so angry at Owen (will he kill him or ship back to Ireland?), and may possibly need a new right hand. I think Angela’s death could cause a considerable riff between Richard (a guy hanging onto life by a thread as it is) and Jimmy, which means Richard might be up for hire with a new boss. I would much rather have Richard and Nucky on the same side at some point in this series than to continue to see him be so loyal to Jimmy (that S.O.B., with all literal interpretations of that phrase implied).

26. Hank says:

Very interesting that Father Brennan was shown having a drink. And that he went to hide it when Margaret visited. But his redheaded housekeeper saw the liquor! What else is he hiding? Love this show.

27. Daisy says:

Oh yea! Why didn’t Waxy Gordon follow up? Where did his hit man go? …. I actually wasn’t AT ALL expecting Angela to go. The writers didn’t develop her character as much as they could have …. I think the writers won’t make Richard a boss, he has other things to sort out like his massive grief and pain over losing half his face, and not having a wife and children which he desperately wants. PS: that scene of him in the woods with those 2 men a few episodes ago was to die for. I really look forward to him developing.