What TVLine Is Thankful For This TV Season: Sweet Revenge, the Very Good Sons and More!

Get More: Commentary, Lists

One thing for a TV enthusiast to be thankful for is that on several nights of the week — we’re namely looking at you, Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday — there is simply too much good TV to watch. But what specifically about this season has TVLine tipping its invisible hat?

Holiday TVLine-Up: Your Guide to 88 Thanksgiving Marathons and Specials

Here is what TVLine Founder and Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello, Editor-at-Large Matt Webb Mitovich, Senior Editor Michael Slezak, West Coast Editor Megan Masters and West Coast Reporter Vlada Gelman have singled out as deserving of acknowledgement. (Coming Thursday: What the readers of TVLine told us they are thankful for this TV season.)

Comments (40)

• Spot on with The Walking Dead, I was just commenting the other day on how it does great intros to each episode. With the score and everything.

Comment by D'Arcy – November 23, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that’s why i really like Megan Masters

Comment by Amy – November 23, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, thank you. Not sure which of my picks made you say that, but I’ll take it!

Comment by Megan Masters – November 23, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m thinking… Community ALL THE WAY!

Comment by papoila – November 23, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Community, Community! From your mouth to God’s (or the idiots at NBCs’) ears.

Comment by Caiti – November 23, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, on Revenge. So good and addicting!

Comment by Jenny – November 23, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Monica Potter getting some recognition. She has transformed the Kristina character into the most realistic and enjoyable to watch character on Parenthood.

Comment by Jasin – November 23, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was great on Boston Legal.

Comment by shaun – November 23, 2011 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • we need to see more of Monica’s character

Comment by Jeffrey – August 6, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t forget Bill Prady, Hart Hanson, & Shonda Rhimes among the few who tweet.

Comment by Tamara – November 23, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked that part too on this list, the showrunners and cast who tweet. I appreciate the ones that are cool with their fans. Hart Hanson can be pretty nice and Bill Prady. Never watched Shonda’s show or tweets so I can’t say there.

Comment by @Tamara – November 23, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thankful for Laura Dern, Madeleine Stowe and Claire Danes—awesome being able to watch them every week.

Comment by Tim – November 23, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vlada Gelman, YES!
    I started watching Revenge last night. It is soooo good. I’m hooked.

Comment by RichieOnTV – November 23, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristina is the the least symphatetic character in Parenthood and it really upsets me that she gets more and more screentime this season.

Comment by Lavada – November 23, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m most thankful for Game of Thrones and the awesome books the introduced me to. I’m really missing that show in this list. How can you not be thankfull for Jon Snow, Tyrion, Khal Drogo and Arya Stark :)

Comment by Josje – November 23, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for Breaking Bad, and more specifically, Walter White. Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan have created what will go down in history as on of television’s best, most complex lead characters to have ever graced our screens. Every time I thunk I know what he’s going to do, he manages to surprise me, but in a completely logical way that actually makes sense. Season 4 was his strongest season yet – he broke some serious bad alright. All hail Heisenberg!

Comment by Carter Friend – November 23, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife.
    A show so amazing it’s hard to believe it’s on TV.

Comment by Sam – November 23, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings, Happy Endings, Happy Endings, Elisha Cuthbert, Happy Endings, Happy Endings and oh yea – Happy Endings!

Comment by Louie – November 23, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree about how great Sons Of Anarchy is this season, but I feel like Perlman’s Clay needs to be on here as well. He redefines dark and creepy.

Comment by MrMank – November 23, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a very agreeable list.

Comment by Sourabh – November 23, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Matt that having more time for character development on The Walking Dead is awesome! I just can’t understand why people are so upset when shows get “talky”. “Preachy”, “heavy-handed”, yes…but since when was it a crime for the action to slow down somewhat and for characters to actually take time to act, and to let us get to know them. I remember how people complained when nobody got whacked on The Sopranos some weeks. Seriously…can we have a little story with our gory?

Comment by MrMank – November 23, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thankful for the Good wife and the walking Dead those two shows can be in my life to death do us part!!!

Comment by Miri – November 23, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Its great that Justified is getting some love and Season 3 hasnt even started. No prob Megan for just now getting on the wagon. I love the teasers for the new season! Just cant get enough of those Harlan boys.

I agree Matt, AHS is a great and addictive freakfest. I was a bit surprised they renewed for another season!

Comment by S. – November 23, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thankful for the Good wife and the walking Dead those two shows can be in my life till death do us part!!!

Comment by Miri – November 23, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’M THANKFUL FOR DEXTER!!!!

Comment by josh – November 23, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That would be Nick Offerman, though he does work that character so well I want to call him Ron anyway.

Comment by Ian – November 23, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vlada, you are awesome and so right about Lisa Edelstein on “The Good Wife”. She killed it on the show. And Ausiello is right about the great directing too. This list is pretty cool. Nice to see what you guys are enjoying this season. Thanks for sharing. :)

Comment by Shiloh – November 23, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is wonderful, every other character on fringe gets so much love and respect while joshua Jackson gets ignored, bashed and treated like crap, all thanks to Seth gabel.

Comment by Law forbids – November 23, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lmao, butthurt much? You think Seth Gabel is responsible for everyone in the world not adoring and worshipping Peter? LOL.

Comment by Buffy – November 24, 2011 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what the?

Comment by lincoln – November 24, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Peter. I love Lincoln (both versions). Can we all just get along? :)

Comment by Ali – November 24, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same here, I love them both (all)!

Comment by Buffy – November 24, 2011 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for Zooey deschanel’s charming singing ball of quirks, Jess on one of the years funniest and most endearing new comedies, New Girl!!

Other things to be thankful for:

- a solid survivor cast that are keeping this season afloat
    - the sharp witticisms of Suburgatory
    - an amazing sophomore season from the unexpected sleeper comedy hit happy endings, buoyed by an absolutely incredibly and charming cast of characters (penny and brad and Jane, looking at you!)

Comment by Adrian – November 23, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re: twice the Nolan

Don’t encourage them! Soon enough all six nominees in the Best Supporting Actor category will be from Modern Family when they decide that him and the kid that plays Manny should get nominations too and then Danny Pudi will never get the recognition he deserves

Comment by Carmichael – November 23, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a great read! The Human Beings (Community) one is my favorite. Well said, Megan Masters! [insert moving thumbs-up ala Greendale '90s commercial here]

Comment by Winnie – November 23, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The entire cast of Sons of Anarchy! Perlman deserved to be up there, too. His portrayal of Clay is chilling and award-worthy. Sutter’s Otto deserves some recognition as well. But I agree with both Ryan Hurst and Theo Rossi up there. Jax and Tara, eh. Solid performances, though.

Comment by Lucas – November 23, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for Supernaturals Season 7 and finally dumping the over blown and over extended Angel mythology and getting back to telling the story of Sam and Dean.

Comment by Cheryl – November 23, 2011 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m UTTERLY thankful for THE MENTALIST! I never liked a TV-show as much as I like this one. And I’m also very thankful for Simon Baker, for without him, this show wouldn’t be what it is- G.R.E.A.T.

Comment by Maja – November 24, 2011 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hats off to the fedora!

Comment by Carol C – November 24, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree with most of Megan Master’s fave’s. Sons and Justified are AMAZING. Charlie Hunnam and Maggie Siff deserve Emmy Nom’s! I also have to agree with Monica Potter on parenthood but they forgot her scene with Alex when she said goodbye to him after he and Haddie broke up. I haven’t seen anything that moving, that emotional, and that amazing since Friday Night Lights!

Comment by Lizzy – November 28, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post