Smallville DVD Exclusive: Tom Welling and Others Share 'Lex-Rated' Series Finale Secrets

Get More: Exclusive, First Look, Video

Each time I think I am done writing about Smallville… they pull me back in. Or, in this instance, an exclusive sneak peek at an extra from the complete series DVD set (out next Tuesday, Nov. 29) lands in my lap.

As TVLine had the thrill of being the first to report, Michael Rosenbaum, after some back-and-forth and negotiating of schedules, made his way back to the CW series just in time to bring Lex appeal to the grand finale. In the below clip from the featurette “The Return of Lex Luthor,” Rosenbaum, series lead Tom Welling and others discuss what it was like to deliver the pretty much mandatory face-off between Clark Kent and his longtime frenemy.

For one, as it was well-reported, the writers had to rejigger the first draft of the finale script, which had been prepped without any Lex in it. Also, as Rosenbaum amusingly relates, the whirlwind schedule demanded that he learn and rattle off Lex’s monologues very quickly — and with no help from his scene partner. (Watch Rosenbaum do a funny “imitation” of Welling-as-Clark.) You also hear from Cassidy Freeman (sharing her delight at getting to finally work with her “brother”), director Greg Beeman and exec producer Kelly Souders.

Loading video...

Smallville: The Complete Series boasts all 218 episodes, over five hours of newly added special features (including a never-before-seen Superboy pilot from 1961), over 100 minutes of retrospective featurettes, an issue of the Daily Planet penned by DC Comics, and more. Also out Nov. 29 is Smallville: The Tenth Season (in DVD and Blu-ray), which features a look back at the 200th episode, “Homecoming,” and commentaries on “Lazarus” and “Kent.”

Comments (19)

• Will the complete set be released in Blu-ray?

Comment by Dr. Matt – November 23, 2011 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They said there prob. will not be a Blu-ray complete series, because the special Fx in the first 4 or 5 seasons will not transfer well.

Comment by Danny – November 23, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I already have excellent copies of season 10 digitally recorded, and the only reason to buy the box set would be for the ‘extras’. Sorry, but none of these ‘extras’ are the least bit appealing. I might be tempted buy when it’s sold at rock bottom prices, but at the moment it’s a big fat NO, since there’s no commentary by Tom Welling and Erica Durance. Only by those I could care less about. Ugh!

Comment by kim – November 23, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure there will be a lot of awesome stuff in the boxset too!

Comment by Leticia – November 23, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • **rolls eyes** Can’t wait to hear Tom’s thoughts on the retrospective that’s available on the series boxset. I don’t care about dvd commentary from ED…her fans got one last year…ugh!!

Comment by Maria – November 23, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I bet the Tom Welling ‘extras’ will only be a couple of minutes in total, five minutes tops. And commentaries by the least popular cast members aren’t exactly going to get hoards of fans rushing to buy the box sets at full price. Cassidy Freeman and Justin Hartley don’t have a particularly large fan base and despite what Allison Mack’s rabid but tiny fandom say, neither does she (if TV ratings and Twitter followers are anything to go by). Plus, Peterson and Souders always manage to piss off everybody whenever they open their mouths!

Comment by Kim – November 23, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks for adding in a negative comment on every topic of the box set.

Im very excited to pick up this set, I love Smallville and the cast and always will!!!

Comment by Rocky – November 24, 2011 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited!! Can’t wait for next week to finally get the set!

Comment by Patty – November 23, 2011 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tuesday can’t come quick enough. I’ve watched every season on DVD only so I’m stoked to watch it

Comment by Justin – November 23, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum soooo much! At least I get to see Michael occasionally popping up here and there. But Tom has disappeared and it frustrates me incredibly!!! TOM PLEASE GET BACK ON SCREEN AGAIN SOON!!!

Comment by Jessica – November 23, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Rosenbaum is the best Lex in cinema history, Michael’s version of Lex was the first time you actually took Lex as a legitmate threat to Superman and not some campy villian hamming it up for screen.

Comment by Scott – November 23, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So not impressed by the fact that the stand-alone season 10 box set didn’t have these special features in it. Really upset that over the years I have collected each of the seasons on their own, I would now have to get the complete series box set to see the final season extras

Comment by Kali – November 23, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure there will be some extras in the Season 10 set, but it is annoying that most fans already own all of the other seasons on DVD and have no need to buy a brand new set just for the extras. It’s not like it’s cheap. They definitely should’ve included a lot of this stuff in the Season 10 set for those loyal fans, but I guess that’s the way it goes. Of course they’re going to release a special complete series set with a bunch of bells & whistles.

Comment by Carrie – November 23, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s great that the Complete Series Box set will have so many new extras. However, I am majorly disappointed that the 10th season only has a few commentaries and a BTS on Homecoming. This is the final season, and those were the only extras they could give us?
    How about bloopers, interviews, BTS on the final episode, etc?

Comment by Dominique – November 23, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lex was always,to me, the best part of the show. I love that Michael obviously cares enough about the show and its fans to come back. Hearing them say that he tried to hard to fit it in makes me so happy to be a fan of his. Love when people don’t forget the shows that gave them their fans.

Comment by Lauren – November 23, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rosenbaum’s Lex was the best Lex. Everyone else played him hammy and for laughs, but Rosenbaum’s Lex was heartbreaking. I miss his Lex and I miss Smallville.

Comment by Angie – November 23, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love tom welling is a good actor!

Comment by sarah – November 24, 2011 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom needs to come back to my screen yesterday!

Comment by Chuck – November 24, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love smallville. Tom welling. Buying the DVD tomorrow! So excited!

Comment by Debbie s – November 28, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post