It's Official: One Life to Life and All My Children Web Revivals Scrapped Completely

Prospect Park is now confirming what our sister site Deadline first reported Wednesday morning: Plans to continue axed ABC sudsers One Life to Live and All My Children online have been abandoned.

Prospect Park’s Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetz issued the following statement confirming the news:

“After five months of negotiations with various guilds, hundreds of presentations to potential financial and technology partners, and a hope that we could pioneer a new network for the future, it is with great disappointment that we are suspending our aspirations to revive One Life to Live and All My Children via online distribution. It is now becoming clear that mounting issues make our ability to meet our deadlines to get OLTL on the air in a reasonable time period following its January 13, 2012 ABC finale impossible.

We believed the timing was right to launch an Online TV Network anchored by these two iconic soap operas, but we always knew it would be an uphill battle to create something historical, and unfortunately we couldn’t ultimately secure the backing and clear all the hurdles in time. We believe we exhausted all reasonable options apparent to us, but despite enormous personal, as well as financial cost to ourselves, we failed to find a solution.

While we narrowed in on a financial infrastructure, the contractual demands of the guilds, which regulate our industry, coupled with the program’s inherent economic challenges ultimately led to this final decision. In the end, the constraints of the current marketplace, including the evolution and impact of new media on our industry simply proved too great a match for even our passion.

In our opinion, new models like this can only work with the cooperation of many people striving to make them happen, and we would like to thank and praise the numerous people who tried to help and showed us incredible support. We are extremely grateful to the fans and media who showed great support to us through this process, to ABC who did everything in their control to help, and we are especially grateful for the support and encouragement from many of the soaps’ cast and crew themselves.

We hope that our efforts are not lost, and that we somehow created a dialogue and movement on the feasibility of first run, network quality content online.

Of special note, we would like to thank Frank Valentini (Executive Producer), Ron Carlivati (Head Writer of OLTL), Agnes Nixon, many of the cast of OLTL including Michael Easton, Ted King, Kelley Missal, Melissa Archer, and of course Erika Slezak all of whom signed on quickly and did all they could to help, as well as our own Christine Sacani. Cameron Mathison and Lindsay Hartley also get our sincerest thanks for their support. We feel terrible we couldn’t come through for them and we were very much looking forward to working together.”

For more details on this story, visit our sister site Deadline.com.

Comments (59)

• surprise, surprise. next.

Comment by andy08 – November 23, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! (does happy dance) (trips over pet unicorn)

Comment by John – November 23, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John, not necessary. Jobs are lost behind and in front of the scenes. Glad your are happy about that.

Comment by Steve – November 23, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was joking. Lighten up.

Comment by John – November 23, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s not funny. People love their soaps. Instead of telling us to “lighten up”, why don’t you show some respect?

Comment by Snapy – November 23, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Respect my ass.

Comment by John – November 23, 2011 12:39 PM PDT
          • Sad to see that the hope for the stories to continue has been lost. I know many people who will be sad to hear this. :( And I really am curious why the moderators allow people like John to post and be rude even though they tell us very clearly not to “go off topic” or “frakkin’ curse”. He’s done both and he’s added nothing about TV.

Comment by Brendan – November 23, 2011 09:48 PM PDT
        • Dude, people are losing their jobs in this economy. It is not the time to be an ass.

Comment by Robert Taylor – November 23, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Don’t bother arguing with the troll. It’s pretty clear John’s a p.o.s.

Comment by Snapy – November 23, 2011 02:18 PM PDT
    • I can’t see people being upset by this move, and some others being ambivalent, but I can’t imagine why it would actually make anyone happy. Perhaps some people’s lives are so shallow and worthless that they feel the need to cheer others’ misfortune.

Comment by Paul – November 23, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was joking. Lighten up. I thought the whole unicorn thing would make that clear.

Comment by John – November 23, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Your sense of humor leaves a lot to be desired. It’s Hitler succeeding funny. It’s Al Qaeda wins funny. It’s the right drafting legislation that only makes abortion legal when new scientific methods of identifying the gay gene in-utero are invented. Wokka wokka unicorns.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 23, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wow, I don’t care. Go pick your nose and eat it.

Comment by John – November 23, 2011 12:41 PM PDT
          • Pick my nose and eat it. I am so burned.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 23, 2011 12:49 PM PDT
          • Um, you’re likening someone joking about the end of a freaking soap opera to Hitler or Al Queda???

The perspective bus is circling your block. If I were you, I’d get on it pronto.

This development can’t be a surprise to anyone. They announced all of this having done no background work on any of the logistics. Was just a way for ABC to deflect some of the negative criticism. Fans should consider themselves lucky that they got the years they did. Virtually no other media product ever lives that long.

Perhaps try channeling all that soap opera energy into something that will actually benefit the world might be in order?

Comment by KCatty – November 23, 2011 01:21 PM PDT
          • I actually don’t watch soaps and just read the story to read it. Sure, I might have been a little dramatic, but this guy’s the effin douche of the week. Lighten up, it’s just a joke, get a sense of humor, everyone who isn’t laughing which is everyone except me.

Okay. A doctor tells a man that he’s diabetic. Then he tells him that his diabetes makes him happy. Then he says he was just kidding. Nobody laughs. The doctor feels like an ass. Same thing, except John over here is completely oblivious. Sell your jokes to Leno, guy.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 23, 2011 05:05 PM PDT
          • You need to get a grip. I’m sorry for the people who have lost their jobs, especially in this economy. But to compare the cancellation of some silly TV show to Hitler or Al Quaeda is just bizaare, and demonstrative of someone who needs a major reality check, some intense therapy, or both.

Comment by Chrispy – November 23, 2011 06:22 PM PDT
  • KILL ME!!! Go get a hammer, then come back, and KILL ME WITH IT.

Comment by Laquisha – November 23, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised but it is a shame when networks kill off scripted legacy shows in favor of talk and so-called reality tv! What a disgrace! And what is wrong with Prospect Park getting the actors hopes up when they aren’t following through?

Comment by Kat – November 23, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not just getting actors hopes up…getting fans hopes up too. Boo on Prospect Park for this. Had they not made such a grand attempt in the first place, then AMC could’ve had a proper ending rather than a cliffhanger and same goes for OLTL since they have already finished taping too so I’m sure they’ve left their storylines hanging too with the expectation they were going to resume online. It was bad enough when they were saying AMC was going to have to wait indefinitely while they got OLTL up and running, but now to kill any chances of getting either online just absolutely sucks for fans, actors, and crew. It sucks I won’t see my soap ever again but I feel for those folks who are without jobs now and any hope of returning to them just went up in smoke. Good luck to all of them to find something new…

Comment by Tess – November 23, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree its awful how they just ended the show like this. i am sure there was something that could have been done to keep it going. i am devastated over the shows ending i feel like a part of my life has ended as well. i feel as if i’ve lost my family

Comment by debra lee – January 2, 2012 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes I agree we need another talk show and reality show like I need a whole in my head.If I wanted reality I would not be watching Tv. Tv is for entertainment . Soaps are entertaining and they are like family.I have been watching oltl 20 yrs. This will be my second soap to go I was a long time fan of GL .Soaps are the only thing good on in the daytime. I use to pvr three Soaps a day now I will be only one.I really don’t understand why Prospect Park was not able to put together because online made sense to me everything else is online. I was even will to pay a subscription.

Comment by marg – December 25, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No surprise here. Why is PP bothering with the dance? This is so stupid. We know the shows are over. Just say it!

Comment by Jessicake – November 23, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are you taking the time to say yay? You don’t HAVE to watch it. But from a fan pov I think it’s crap to get everyone’s hopes up and then bail.
    By the way the chew is AWFUL…great job abc/Disney

Comment by Skyeblue82 – November 23, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad they didn’t drop their plans before they ruined the endings for All My Children and One Life To Live. PP is the one that demanded the planned endings changed into cliffhangers.

Comment by Kathryn – November 23, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I want a better AMC ending!!! This sucks.

Comment by Darcy – November 23, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Sherry – November 23, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAVE OLTL!!

Comment by sammy – November 23, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. After what they did to Marty, OLTL deserves to be off the air for good.

Comment by Snapy – November 23, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Surprise there! I bet AMC wished they ended the iconic show in a much better way! Bad decisions by the TPTB!! Well let’s hope the OLTL and GH ends better – And no GH has not been cancelled… yet…

Comment by Dana – November 23, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we please start the rumor that Oprah is planning in buying the rights and bringing the soaps to OWN… Maybe we can make it happen!!!

Comment by ERIN – November 23, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha ha ha ha ha!! Oh, you gave me a cute chuckle. Thanks!

Comment by Snapy – November 23, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Give me an effin’ break! OWN isn’t the only freakin cable channel out there (WE, Oxygen, Lifetime, etc..)

Comment by GMAFB – November 23, 2011 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was NEVER going to happen. And I’m extremely angry with Agnes Nixon for being so stubborn and naive. Because of her we’ve been robbed of the chance to properly mourn AMC. I hope TPTB at OLTL were already aware of this and we’ll get a halfway decent series finale.

Comment by TMW – November 23, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT?!?!?! I just threw up all over myself. Hmm.. I think I’m gonna eat it just like I ate that stuff out of the toilet yesterday. :)

Comment by Sherry – November 23, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • while this as not at all surprising it is still very sad. So many fans were given hope and now its been taken away. It makes me really hate the way they ended AMC, maybe OLTL will take note and end their show differently because the fans deserve more then a never ending cliffhanger.

Comment by Amanda – November 23, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :(

Comment by Pitt – November 23, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This isn’t a surprise at all but it is sad since AMC ended with a horrible cliffhanger and OLTL will end the same way (since they’ve already filmed their ending) because they believed they were going to make the move to the web. So who loses out? The fans these shows have had for decades who couldn’t even get a proper ending to their shows. This is the way networks reward the loyalty of fans. Nice.

Comment by Stef – November 23, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo….What a wonderful thing to announce the day before Thanksgiving! Great job, PP! (Sarcasm for those of you who didn’t see it! ) As a fan, I feel like I was blindsided once again. I always realized that saving AMC and OLTL was an uphill battle, but I honestly thought that the good guys were going to win this one. I feel so sad. I HOPE that the PTB of AMC will at least have the goodwill (and the good sense) to let us know what the original ending was going to be…and solve the cliffhangers. As for OLTL…I hope that they can come up with SOMETHING that will satisfy those of us who have watched for years…and won’t leave us hanging.

I don’t blame PP for any of this; ABC is responsible. The Chew sucks and I either change the channel or turn off the sound any time I see a commercial for The Chew or for The Revolution. I wish that ABC would pull their heads out long enough to truly realize what they’ve done…and bring our soaps back. I’ve always taught my kids that it’s good to admit it when you make a mistake…and to apologize and do what is necessary to correct it.

Comment by Leslee – November 23, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John people care about these shows bc they have watched them faithfully for years. I am 35, I remember watching them at 8 with my grandmother and mom. I came to love the shows and I am truly sad they are gone.
    As for the ending on AMC, I’d like a press release to at least know what the intended ending was…

Comment by Skyeblue82 – November 23, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE the OWN idea!!!
    There is a rumor they plan in axing gh in the fall of 2012 and replacing it with a Katie couric show. I hope it’s not true!
    I LOATHE the chew. It’s stupid and mindless and a waste of an hour. The hosts are all annoying! I really miss AMC so much already, I’m sad that oltl is ending soon.

Comment by Skyeblue82 – November 23, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Chew is pretty horrid. Painful, actually.

Comment by candacetx – November 23, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Prospect Park people knew the plan was dead in the water days ago, they waited till the day before Thanksgiving to announce hoping the news would be lost in the holiday shuffle. I hope their whole online network fails.

Comment by mike – November 23, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totall agreement here! I love my soaps and were devastated when they were canceled. I had watched AMC since the beginning. Those that are are ‘happy’ about the soaps being canceled as well as PP not picking them up just do not understand or do not have any kind of feelings. I completely agree with you about The Chew and I am sure that the show that is scheduled to replace OLTL will be worse! Shame on PP for getting all the fans hopes up!

Comment by Michele – November 23, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. I just had to tell my mother the news that her fave soap (OLTL) was canceled… AGAIN.

She’s been watching it for almost its entire run.

Comment by Ellen – November 23, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sorry for all of the fans of these two shows. I was an ATWT fan and was upset to see it go, but at least we knew it was going. This is like a second death to all of the fans.

Comment by L – November 23, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m upset about the news. I was really hoping OLTL was going to get another chance. But now it won’t happen. I hope the writers did some sort of closure for it on TV. I have been a fan of the show for 15 years. I will miss it when it goes off the air.

Comment by Greg – November 23, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OLTL had a great run. It’s the responsiblity of the network to end it timely to
    reward the fans for their dedication to the show. There are too many cooking
    and talk shows out there already and really, who believes all those reality
    shows? Talk shows are passe. One alternative station for the soap-shows is the
    Soap Net channel such as Directv carries. Then people who don’t want to watch it
    won’t have to and those who do, know just where they can find them.

Comment by Ellen – November 24, 2011 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When SoapNet first started they used to play the old soaps like Dynasty and Dallas, unfortunately now it’s just teen dramas such as One Tree Hill. I wish they would air the beginning years of All My Children, so I could watch how Erica before she started collecting husbands. Alas, soapnet is going away just like all of my soaps. :(

Comment by lacey – November 24, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who thought they had a job, because you don’t. We string people along for the fun of it then give them the axe when they’ve let their guards down.
    Sincerely, Prospect Park

Comment by Mary – November 24, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team John! Anyone who compares soaps being cancelled to hitler or al qaeda type things needs to take a chill pill!

Comment by Nerdista – November 24, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re as bad as John calling out teams, you both need to grow up! If you disagree with someone’s opinion then that’s your right but at least act like an adult. TigerNightmare felt that Hitler and Al Queda were apt comparisons. And instead of just saying “I disagree” you have to call out teams as if you are high school.

Comment by kelsey – November 24, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very sad that we are losing One Life to Live. I never trusted these two guys , one was affiliated with Disney before trying to start up this newwork thingy. Think he was just trying to take the heat off of ABC Disney for awhile. This really stinks.
    Wonder what John would think if it were the super bowl or the world series? Just so so sad.

Comment by Janice – November 25, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the ability to use technology in so many ways, it is a shame that those of us who enjoy our soaps will no longer be able to relax for an hour or two watching storylines that are familiar. With Cable and Satelite options with 200+ channels, we continue to limit options by adding copycats – no more reality shows please! After watching these shows for 30+ years, I enjoyed coming home from work and relaxing “with my shows”. Will greatly miss the actors and storylines plus sharing with my daughter “guess what happened today”….may just start watching the remaining soaps – NOT ABC daytime.

Comment by Donna – November 26, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What a terrible shame. AMC & OLTL are more ‘real’ than all of the realty shows put together. The Chew is terrible. Again, too many cooking shows. ABC and Disney have made a terrible financial and marketing decision. PLEASE someone pick up our soaps before all of these wonderful actors go elsewhere. Opra, Soapnet, I don’t care. Prospect Park – why can’t you go out on a limb and give it a try. So what if you can’t get the shows going till February. We don’t care if there is a gap between when OLTL ends and it starts again on the Net. Millions of viewers watch these soaps and WILL NOT watch ABC between l:00pm and 3:00. I am devistated.

Comment by lmask – November 26, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ha! You all fell for it. No different than the proposed Sopranos, Deadwood, etc. movies. Just wait until next year when the plug gets pulled on General Hospital.

Comment by Bob – November 29, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They owe us a better ending or a reunion thats the least they can do for a show thats been on 41 years boo abc

Comment by angela – November 29, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, they really got my hopes up on that one. When I first heard about Prospect Park and their “rescue” of the soaps I thought no way this is going to work. A million reasons went through my head as to how it couldn’t work, and I think I posted them all on TVLine (sorry about that, TVLine mods). But they were getting so many actors for OLTL to sign on and once they gave up on AMC, it seemed like it could really work with them focusing all their energy and money on OLTL. I dared to really start hoping at that point, though I was worried I was going to have to pay to subscribe or buy episodes on ITunes, which I probably wasn’t going to do. I loved my soaps, but I don’t pay to watch anything online, my cable bill is already way too big to be putting more money into watching tv. But it’s still upsetting to hear this won’t be happening as I’ve been watching OLTL on summer vacations and sick days since I was 12. I feel bad for the actors and crews and fans.

Comment by Amber – December 5, 2011 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post