Ratings: Gossip Girl Hits Season High, House Improves, Rock Center Tumbles

Blair’s bridal shower was (relatively) well-attended, as Gossip Girl hit a season high of 1.48 million total viewers while scoring a 0.7 demo rating, representing week-to-week surges of 20 and 17 percent.

Other gainers for the night include House (up 11 percent in audience to 7.34 mil, while holding steady with a 2.5 rating) and Castle (up 13 percent in the demo, though that number will likely be adjusted down once Monday Night Football preemptions in two markets are subtracted form the equation.

Gossip Girl Spoiler Alert: 8 Things You Need to Know About Blair’s Wedding Day

Going hour-by-hour….

8 pm | Dancing With the Stars drew 20 million total viewers and a 3.6 rating, up double digits week-to-week but nonetheless marking an all-time low for a finale performance show. CBS’ How I Met Your Mother (10.1 mil/4.3) and 2 Broke Girls (11.2 mil/4.4) both dipped a few percentage points. Terra Nova (6.5 mil/2.1) dropped 9 percent in the demo to match its series low. The penultimate installment of The Sing-Off (4.25 mil/1.4) gained 8 percent in the demo.

How I Met Your Mother Shocker: Did You See The Big [Spoiler Alert] Coming?

9 pm | Two and a Half Men (15.7 mil/5.2) and Mike & Molly (13.1 mil/4.2) both dipped in the demo while drawing a few more eyeballs. ABC’s You Deserve It premiered to 10 million viewers and a 2.1 rating, down 12 percent in the demo from the year-ago debut of Skating With the Stars (gosh, remember that train wreck?!). Hart of Dixie (1.8 mil/0.7) enjoyed an 11-percent bump in total audience.

Dancing With the Stars Finale: Which Couple Deserves to Win the Mirrorball Trophy?

10 pm | Castle (11.9 mil/2.7) is poised to win the hour in total viewers, while demo leader Hawaii Five-0 (10.34 mil/2.8) slipped double digits from last week. NBC’s Rock Center (3.6 mil/0.9) is now pulling a barely larger audience than the final Playboy Club, while delivering a 25-percent smaller rating.

What were you watching this Monday night?

1. Liz says:

House was amazing this week, I love this entire season so far. And Cuddy not being there is a big plus, I hope she’ll stay away. I also hope the ratings will keep improving, this season is too good to be the last one.

• LOL says:

YOU’RE the one who can’t go a post without mentioning Cuddy, obsessed much? It’s not only because of her fans that she’ll end up coming back, it’s also because of people like you that can’t help mentioning her even though you claim to hate her sooo much. Personally I’m tired of both groups because neither one can move on from her at all.

• Carrie says:

Hahahha Liz. You already posted in Tvbythenumbers and now here. House is a goner. You can paint it the color you want. With DWTS out they only gained 800.000 viewers and not a single 0.1 in the demo. Sorry if Hameron didn´t work. Just let it go XD

• HouseObsessed says:

Never watched DWTS but some people really like it. House is doing better than it did during the first half of S1. I think more and more viewers will come back. They will recognize you’re just a bitter LE/Cuddy/Huddy fan who can’t seem to resist the urge to post something negative about a show you no longer watch.
        Also, there’s a possibility LE may come back for a couple of episodes if DS has his way. If that happens, you may want to watch now because really, the writing is meaty, fat-free, and awesome. I think what we are seeing now in terms of the B-plots will figure significantly in the BIG EVENT (811) and its consequences the remainder of the season. The BIG EVENT will air during February sweeps.

• JT says:

OMG no I don’t want her return, they ruined her character in season 5, their storylines with women are horrible, if they can only give us male characters it will be better.

• Sam says:

”LOL” and ”Carrie” are rude, it’s not nice to attack a person just because he/she has expressed his/her opinion.

• maggie19 says:

“House” was very good this week. It seemed like the way the show used to be before they started screwing with it.

• JT says:

yes stop with Cuddy, you so love her to mention her everywhere? she’s not there anymore and I hope Lisa won’t come back. Enjoy your season and speak about the medical cases or House instead of cuddy the girl you like to be.

2. JJovana says:

The possibility of Blair dumping lame Prince and running to Chuck like promo suggested, made me tune in. I guess few others did as well :)) yay :)

• The prince is a bit of a wet sponge, but I don’t think Blair will dump him (assuming she does) until we get closer to the actual wedding. The star of the show last night IMO was Chivy, who is having to work harder and lie bigger to keep from being exposed. At this point, it’s not looking good for our little liar from Miami…

• G says:

I watch every week but think you are right! I keep watching in hopes that Chair reunites. But I’m so steamed that they’re making us watch Blair go through wedding plans & pregnancy with a guest star when it should be Chuck! if they don’t reunite I’m done. It’s been too long.

I love Dair friendship (never a romance!!) Drunk Dan in elevator lmao

To quote Penn “Blair is Dan’s soul mate, but Dan is not hers. Chuck is Blair’s soul mate” WORD

• izzie says:

Me too! I think they’re amazing friends, and I absolutely love Penn. But there is no question that Chuck/Blair belong together, they were truly made for each other. And I love next week’s promo (:

3. Jen says:

Tried watching You Deserve It after DWTS because it sounded like a nice concept. The question set up is just terrible. Other than the first one with Lady Gaga, the contestant had to buy 6 or 7 (you get 10) clues before the answer became apparent enough to gamble all the money. And as much I thought it was nice the contestant wanted to help her best friend (who was very recently widowed), I felt so bad when they ambushed her. Definitely not a winning new show.

4. JMoFan says:

So 7.34 and a 2.5 demo is now considered ‘good’ ratings for House? Yikes, I’m glad JMo is on a show with much better ratings and much better press that the critics adore.

• erin says:

Sure the 7.34 and a 2.5 demo are “good ratings” as
      House is in it’s 8 season
      This is the monday before Thansgiving
      There was a lunar eclipse
      insert innane excuses here …
      Bottom line … HOUSE sucks most viewers already know it
      Checking out House’s ratings compared to last years
      hahahahahahaha
      ahahahahahahah

• Cal says:

It’s just a flesh wound!
        A 32% drop in viewership from this time last season is hardly a concern at all!

• Argomento: Ascolti del Dottor House says:

Il successo del Dottor House è evaporato tanti anni fa, dopo i cambiamenti di stile, cast, dei pazienti e dell’abbandono di una serie scientifica e intrigante a favore degli intrighi di letto, degli inciuci e contro-inciuci, dei pazienti sempre meno protagonisti e degli inutili stravolgimenti del cast. Questo al pubblico non è piaciuto e infatti si è passati da asolti vicini ai venti milioni e sempre in costante crescita delle prime due o tre serie a un dimezzamento e oltre a partire dalla quinta serie visto che la quarta ha segnato il punto di rottura col grande pubblico, la grande critica e il grande successo, perchè una serie difficilmente si riprende dai grandi cambiamenti di stile e anche Dottor House non è stato immune da questa cosa. Si è arrivati così a vivacchiare per anni attorno ai dieci milioni e, cosa ancora peggiore, la serie è entrata in costante calo progressivo. Insomma vi stupite che si è passati dagli otto di media dell’anno scorso ai sette di quest’anno quando in realtà questo non ha fatto altro che seguire il trend negativo degli ultimi anni, e nessuno si interroga invece sul perchè tanti anni fa hanno abbandonato una tipologia di serie scientifica di successo cambiandola, banalizzandola per cercare di adattarla al mercato, ma facendo così un grave autogol. Se avessero conservato lo stile CSI dei primi tempi, i pazienti i primo piano e avessero ridotto al minimo le inutili storie di letto, oggi, come NCIS la serie viaggerebbe ancora sulle cifre raggiunte nella prima, seconda e terza serie.
        Che questo serva di lezione per il futuro.

• D says:

Rationalize it any which way you wish, no show is at it strongest in its eighth season. Unless you’re Two and a Half Men.

And, to JMoFan, just because a show doesn’t have “good” ratings, doesn’t mean it has “bad” ratings.

All things considered, the show improved this week. More viewers, didn’t drop in the demo, and, this is just an opinion, the episode was better than last weeks. Of course, detractors don’t really care how the show does. They’re arguments flip regarding the situation.

• Carrie says:

And here is Liz posting again now under the name of JMoFan XDDDDDDD

• Nausicaa from Barcelona says:

Liz isn’t a troll, she writes here for many years, I remember her old comments even in EW community. And no, sorry, I’m not Liz, how you note from my poorly english instead surely for her English is a native language.

I don’t know why some people are so nasty and unpleasant. Your stupid ”AHAHAHAHAHA” or insults are simply horrible things.

• Chill says:

YOU NEED TO RELAX!!!! seriously. chill. she has a right to express her opinion with out stalkers like you freaking out at her. r.e.l.a.x.

• Madison says:

I have no desire to get involved in a HOUSE back and forth, I know its fans like to do so, therefore I rarely comment on the series- but I will say I’m sort of in the middle of the two viewpoints: I’m glad JMo does have a good series that is doing well and I think she deserves it after everything. And I also think that the show is hurting without Lisa Cuddy. Cuddy was the best female character they had on HOUSE for many reasons and she brought a spark to House’s character and and the series that it is sorely lacking this season. This seems to be a common sentiment from what I’ve read, keeping track on message boards, Twitter, blogs, etc., after every episode this season: that HOUSE has grown boring (that’s the most common adjective I see used to describe viewers’ feelings this season) and that a lot of people miss Cuddy. I concur.

• @Madison says:

I would say then you follow the wrong people on twitter. My 300 followers pretty much like the new season, of course here and there happens some natural criticsm.
        The only ppl who are constantly complaining and directly bullying every Housefan on twitter (yeah they even create extra Twitter accounts to mock House/HL fans)or jump on every comment-section of every H-related articles with their hate are the bitter Lisa Edelstein fans. Sad but true!!
        The ratings are sinking for whatever reasons and i don`t deny that LEs exit is part of the problem. The producers never wanted her to leave the show, her exit was as shoking for them as for her fans. Anyway The show must go on and they are doing a good job this season.House is still a great show,IMO!!

BTW: I monitored that all popular Fox shows are significantly down this season. It seems that Fox loosing its audience somehow. The same happened to NBC in the last years but it doesn`t mean that this network is producing bad shows.

• Madison says:

How does that make sense? I follow the “wrong” people? Who are the “right” people? LOL! Besides, it’s people mentioning House and speaking out about why they’re dissatisfied this season I’m talking about, not my followers. ;)

• @madison says:

No,it was my answer to your generalizing comment “This seems to be a common sentiment from what I’ve read, keeping track on message boards, Twitter, blogs” I tried to tell you that it is not a common sentiment. It is simply not true.
            House has still lots of fans. Most of them just stepped away from the Shipper war craziness on Fanforums in the last years. Many are fed up of this stupid fighting.
            I recently joined GetGlue and it is so great to see comments of people who are able to genuinely enjoy the show. House was yesterday one of the TopTrending shows, oh wait it is still trending there. House is one of the most downloaded shows on itunes etc and have a look on the amazing DVR numbers.
            However all i wanted to say you are wrong with your generalizing comment. There are still enough fans who enjoy the new season of House.

• Nausicaa from Barcelona says:

House’s ratings are in crisis from many years, honestly the show was a great success in the first three or four years, then started to decline.

5. Michael says:

Even though Rachel Bilson is probably the worst actress on TV right now, I find myself enjoying Hart Of Dixie. It’s a mystery.

• Jones says:

I agree with you, Michael. I love this show, but she is the weak link and the star of the show. I hope she steps up her game so there will be a second season.

• Avi says:

I agree with you 100%. I really dislike Rachel Bilson. She is a mumbler. I just want her to enunciate. She and Blake Lively could start a “I think mumbling is acting” club. That being said, I really enjoy Hart of Dixie.

• Melosm says:

Totally agree! Rachel Bilson is rather annoying but Hart of Dixie is my favorite of the new shows. I really hope it gets picked up for another season. The rest of the cast is great!

6. Not liking where HIMYM is going this season. They had a lot of promise at the beginning of the season, and 7.09 was excellent, but I feel like they’re wasting their potential on these outlandish storylines. Also, what have they done to Robin as a character? Hopefully they can come back from this, but I’m losing faith.

7. beans says:

Castle was great last nite

8. Ebbie says:

I have been enjoying House this season so far. It seems to be back to basics after losing its way a little with the whole romantic relationship and the disaster at the end of last season. I don’t know if this will be the last season or not (probably), but so far, so good in my opinion.

9. Jenni says:

Go Hart of Dixie! I really enjoy that show. It’s fluffy and sweet and the boys are just too cute.

10. Callie says:

For me it was the possibility of Dan and Blair scenes at the shower.

11. Callie says:

Or for Dan and Blair scenes.

12. amanda says:

go gossip girl! Whoohoo! I am so proud of such a great episode! :) my favorite show

13. kevin says:

Don’t blame it on what when down with poor Ashton Kutcher. CBS really have high hopes for him and TWO AND A HALF MEN but Les Moonves doesn’t know how long this hit sitcom can make or break its chances for renewal. Also, TERRA NOVA still fading and December 19th could be the end of the world as Fox knows it and last night’s HAWAII FIVE-O continues to gives us more intense moments than ever before and I’m in for a loss for words on the true demise of poor Jenna Kaye.

14. shaun says:

Hawaii 5-0 totally jumped the shark this season!!Gotta give some love to The Sing-Off though,Pentatonix are gonna win this year!

• Kate says:

I am amazed at how much they messed with the show so early. Kono and Chin are pretty much background players now. Adding Lori to the team really messed with the chemistry of the team and not in a good way. I could forgive some of the weaker plot points before because I loved the team interactions, but now that’s out too.

• Olivia says:

I agree. Nothing against the actress but I really don’t see the point of Lori being on the show, she really doesn’t add much except being a love interest for Mcgarrett. I hope she goes soon.

• G says:

I agree!! I love the original 4!! Last season was so much better…

• Terry says:

Considering Hawaii is 15% down from last year rating numbers, I don’t think CBS is celebrating CBS success.
      All CBS Monday comedies are up from last year . Instead Hawaii 50 is down. That’s not a good sign for a show. Actually it’s very bad. That erosion ,for a show that it is just starting the 2nd season and that it’s placed in the strongest CBS night, it’s a reason to be very concern.

15. fernando says:

HOORAY for Hart Of Dixie, it keeps shooting up close to 2 million again, I know next week we can do it.

16. Holly says:

It still boggles the mind that someone at NBC pitched the idea of Rock Center and the execs said “Yes”. Really, NBC? Really? You thought that would work against Castle and Hawaii 5-0 in the 10 PM hour? Silly, NBC! Ratings are for other networks!

17. Katy says:

Maybe DWTS would have been higher if the Northeast (mainly Boston and New England area) were able to watch it at the normal time instead of 1.30am Tuesday morning due to football….They really could not have started the game at 9pm; especially since it was the finals show.

18. Cindy says:

It was an intense episode of House, absolutely great. I pretty much enjoy the season8. It is sad that the ratings are so bad.
    However, Monday is a tough day, house has to compete with the CBS hit shows and Terra Nova doesn`t make it better. *sigh

• maggie19 says:

I’ve tried watching “Terra Nova.” It seemed like a show that I would love, but it’s just boring. It’s also a bad fit with “House.” At least “House” has gotten back on track this year, and is like the old show I used to love.

• HouseObsessed says:

I loved the episode too. It was classic House.

19. Renee says:

Awww I was hoping Terra Nova would start doing better in the ratings. I like it.

20. Amber says:

Terra Nova sucks hehehe

21. Hojana says:

Only reason GG got any ratings was because they previewed this ep as being centered around Dan and Blair…watch the ratings tumble next week. Get rid of the fraking chair already…

• G says:

I beg to differ. The promo in the US showed Dan crashing the shower drunk… If that’s what does it for ya but no Dair scenes. The Canadian promo (which is always posted online) showed a Chair scene (the cliffhanger at end of the ep) The promise of potential drunk declarations by Dan doesn’t hold a candle to Blair running to her soulmate who she realizes she should never have left!

22. Vivian says:

Hawaii was such a joke yesterday. One thing is to laugh with a show and another one to laugh at it. I dvr it and tried to watch it this morning at work , but it was unwatchable. LOL.
    I am not surprised with the big drop in ratings.
    Terry O”Quinn is the only one with a decent acting there. CBS better try to keep him or the show will keep dropping. The show needs more Terry, more DDkim , more Lori and less of the rest. More acting and less eye candy .

• Jen says:

I can’t believe you think Lori isn’t there as eye candy. She has brought nothing to the show. DD Kim and Grace Park only get to hang out with each other now that they added Lori. Lori’s whole purpose is for the guys to salivate when she talks about her private life or walks around in costume like last week. I think the show messed with the core group way too fast and ruined what people were tuning in for.

• Vivian says:

I think DDKim was not given much to do last season, even if he was the strongest actor.Then Scott and all the whining and banter went from fun to nauseating . Alex and his same plastic face , not matter which scene he is playing , awful, it is even hard to understand what he says, which is unacceptable for an actor. Poor Kono has been the bikini girl since the start.
        I think Terry and Lori have both improved the show a lot.. I think CBS added them because the original cast was not good enough, specially Alex O. He has not a strong screen presence. Terry has given that to the show.
        I have no problem with eye candy, but they need to know how to act too.

• Tim says:

While you may not like three of the core four they as a team were what made the show successful. I think the reason ratings are dropping is because they took what made it work and threw it out. I like Terry just fine, but giving Lori more screen time than DDK and GP is just wrong. We barely saw them last season as it was. I liked that all the relationship stuff was on the fringe where they had relationships with bit players. Trying to start something between two main characters will alter the show not to mention they just don’t have chemistry.

23. HouseObsessed says:

Monday night I watched one show – HOUSE. It was awesome! We see some real growth in House and we also get to see what makes House House – the genius who never met medical puzzle he didn’t like or couldn’t solve. Based on the promo for next week’s episode, the PERILS OF PARANOIA, it’s going to be a 100 fold better than awesome!

24. Al says:

DWTS How can a show about shark jumping jump the shark? It’s just gotten tired and lazy now hasn’t it. So I’ve got some ideas to spice it up:
    Borrow from ESPN’s Sports Nation the real time voting concept. If more than 60% of Dance Nation disagrees with a judge slime will drop.

An all Kung Foo cast

Stop using Derek as cougar bait (even if he seems to like it)

Let the fans vote off the judges

Spice Girls V Pussy Cat Dolls

Replace Brooke with “The Church Lady”

25. Paul says:

NBC should loose Rock Center – waste of time. Bring back Prime Suspect!!!

26. juan says:

hugh laurie es genial!no mas Cuddy por favor